Maryland Gay Marriage Could Hinge on ...

Maryland Gay Marriage Could Hinge on Black Churches

There are 9647 comments on the The Skanner story from Mar 1, 2012, titled Maryland Gay Marriage Could Hinge on Black Churches. In it, The Skanner reports that:

With Maryland poised to legalize gay marriage, some conservative opponents and religious leaders are counting on members of their congregations, especially in black churches, to upend the legislation at the polls this fall.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Skanner.

“You wish you were here!!”

Since: May 09

The OC

#9470 Dec 30, 2012
Not Yet Equal wrote:
<quoted text>
Your rights do not include any right to refuse to treat others as you are treated under the law.
You are free to have your views. You should not be allowed to deny equal treatment under the law, based on your views.
We all live under the same laws and they are applied equally.

“You wish you were here!!”

Since: May 09

The OC

#9471 Dec 30, 2012
Not Yet Equal wrote:
<quoted text>
Many believe Leviticus and some other verses were addressing pagan ritual sex, which was common at that time and place.
"The Leviticus passages were clearly written in the context of pagan religious ritual. Since we are not bringing a question about the appropriateness of cultic sex practices for modern Christians, we can safely set aside these clobber passages." http://www.wouldjesusdiscriminate.org/biblica...
Actually, "many" don't believe that at all. A "few" do, and they are almost exclusively gay activists and those who sympathize with them. Real, Bible-believing Christians know better.

The "Bible doesn't really say that" argument is absurd. Fortunately, most people can read.

You guys crack me up with some of the crap you come up with. It's like you keep throwing anything you can against the wall hoping something will stick! The trouble is for those of us who have peaked behind the curtain we can see what your real goals and methods are.

“A JOURNEY OF A THOUSAND MILES”

Since: Aug 08

MUST BEGIN WITH A SINGLE STEP!

#9472 Dec 30, 2012
WaterBoarder wrote:
<quoted text>
Really? You aren't seriously giving me "the Bible doesn't really say that" argument are you? And there is no gay, straight, or bisexual in the Bible. Human beings are human beings...but since you are asking:
For starters, the Bible clearly and directly condemns homosexual sex in these places. One or two can almost be explained away but all of them together cannot. There are a couple more but these are the most direct.
"If a man lies with a male as he lies with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination." (Leviticus 20:13).
"You shall not lie with a male as with a woman. It is an abomination." (Leviticus 18:22-24).
"For this reason God gave them up to vile passions. For even their women exchanged the natural use for what is against nature. Likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust for one another, men with men committing what is shameful, and receiving in themselves the penalty of their error which was due." (Romans 1:26-27).
"But we know that the Law is good, if one uses it lawfully, realizing the fact that law is not made for a righteous person, but for those who are lawless and rebellious, for the ungodly and sinners, for the unholy and profane, for those who kill their fathers or mothers, for murderers and immoral men and homosexuals and kidnappers and liars and perjurers, and whatever else is contrary to sound teaching." (1 Timothy 1:8-10)
"Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived; neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor homosexuals, nor thieves, nor the covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers, will inherit the kingdom of God. Such were some of you; but you were washed, but you were sanctified, but you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and in the Spirit of our God." (1 Corinthians 6:9-11)
Also,, if you take the countless Biblical statements that say we are to remain "sexually pure", and consider the indisputable fact that both the author and the intended audience of that day would have considered homosexual relations as grossly wrong, I think its safe to say there are many more verses that indirectly speak against homosexual sex. No need to cite them.
Hey...you brought it up.
Again, Leviticus DOESN'T apply....IT CAN'T if Jesus died on the cross for our sins as you bible thumping idiot claim!!!

Romans isn't speaking about homosexuality either.....and it was written by Paul regarding Pagan rituals.......man, you bible thumpers will make any claim......lol!!!

Also anything from 1 Corinthians is also writings from Paul and have also been changed in direct violation of Revelations 22:18-19!!!

And I did bring it up.....I believe YOU did.....I just stated that it's not in Leviticus......and not in 1 Timothy either....in fact here is what 1 Timothy state:
8 But we know that the law is good, if a man use it lawfully;

9 Knowing this, that the law is not made for a righteous man, but for the lawless and disobedient, for the ungodly and for sinners, for unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers,

10 For whoremongers, for them that defile themselves with mankind, for menstealers, for liars, for perjured persons, and if there be any other thing that is contrary to sound doctrine;
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/...

No mentioned of HOMOSEXUALITY in the KJV and if your bible verses actually state homosexuality.....then it is a BASTARDIZED version.......because that word has been added and in direct violation of Revelations 22:18-19!!!

Where is homosexuality mentioned? I don't see mentioned one of Gays or Lesbians in those particular scriptures, and again......we don't live by your religious beliefs or your bible!!!

Actually both the Greek and Romans had no issue with Homosexuality in that time frame and practiced it often!!!

“A JOURNEY OF A THOUSAND MILES”

Since: Aug 08

MUST BEGIN WITH A SINGLE STEP!

#9473 Dec 30, 2012
WaterBoarder wrote:
<quoted text>
Really? You aren't seriously giving me "the Bible doesn't really say that" argument are you? And there is no gay, straight, or bisexual in the Bible. Human beings are human beings...but since you are asking:
For starters, the Bible clearly and directly condemns homosexual sex in these places. One or two can almost be explained away but all of them together cannot. There are a couple more but these are the most direct.
"If a man lies with a male as he lies with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination." (Leviticus 20:13).
"You shall not lie with a male as with a woman. It is an abomination." (Leviticus 18:22-24).
"For this reason God gave them up to vile passions. For even their women exchanged the natural use for what is against nature. Likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust for one another, men with men committing what is shameful, and receiving in themselves the penalty of their error which was due." (Romans 1:26-27).
"But we know that the Law is good, if one uses it lawfully, realizing the fact that law is not made for a righteous person, but for those who are lawless and rebellious, for the ungodly and sinners, for the unholy and profane, for those who kill their fathers or mothers, for murderers and immoral men and homosexuals and kidnappers and liars and perjurers, and whatever else is contrary to sound teaching." (1 Timothy 1:8-10)
"Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived; neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor homosexuals, nor thieves, nor the covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers, will inherit the kingdom of God. Such were some of you; but you were washed, but you were sanctified, but you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and in the Spirit of our God." (1 Corinthians 6:9-11)
Hey...you brought it up.
Let me try this again and sorry if it posts more than once:
Again, Leviticus DOESN'T apply....IT CAN'T if Jesus died on the cross for our sins as you bible thumping idiot claim!!!

Romans isn't speaking about homosexuality either.....and it was written by Paul regarding Pagan rituals.......man, you bible thumpers will make any claim......lol!!!

Also anything from 1 Corinthians is also writings from Paul and have also been changed in direct violation of Revelations 22:18-19!!!

And I did bring it up.....I believe YOU did.....I just stated that it's not in Leviticus......and not in 1 Timothy either....in fact here is what 1 Timothy state:
9 Knowing this, that the law is not made for a righteous man, but for the lawless and disobedient, for the ungodly and for sinners, for unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers,
10 For whoremongers, for them that defile themselves with mankind, for menstealers, for liars, for perjured persons, and if there be any other thing that is contrary to sound doctrine;

No mentioned of HOMOSEXUALITY in the KJV and if your bible verses actually state homosexuality.....then it is a BASTARDIZED version.......because that word has been added and in direct violation of Revelations 22:18-19!!!

Where is homosexuality mentioned? I don't see mentioned one of Gays or Lesbians in those particular scriptures, and again......we don't live by your religious beliefs or your bible!!!

Actually both the Greek and Romans had no issue with Homosexuality in that time frame and practiced it often!!!

“Just Call It Marriage Now”

Since: Sep 08

All rights For All!

#9474 Dec 30, 2012
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>Most same sex marriage supporter's don't understand marriage. Take N.C.N.'s claim above, hetersexuals don't have the right to marry the person of their choosing, they have to obey the laws. Heterosexuals can't marry someone too young, someone already married, a sibling, someone of the same gender or someone who does not consent.
N.C.N. was married by a renegade justice of the peace who violated California law; no wonder.
<quoted text>The fight continues at the Supreme Court and if necessary, with a Constitutional Amendment to define marriage as one man and one woman. The fight isn't over.
We were not married by "a renegade justice of the peace who violated California law". We were married by a state ordained minister under a law that allowed us to be married, and they still recognize our marriage today.

Mrs Whitewater

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Since: Apr 07

Born in Newark Ohio

#9475 Dec 30, 2012
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>The issue isn't about religion or sin, the issue is the cultural affect of changing the definition of marriage to make government gender blind and treat husbands and wives as if they are disposable in marriage.
I've always written there is nothing wrong with homosexuals or homosexuality but that's not a reason to change the must fundamental social institution of marriage.
Someone cue the music:

twilight zone theme

Now for rational thinking people:

http://www.guardian.co.tt/columnist/2012-12-3...

"People are often satisfied with their ways of life simply because it is all they’ve ever known. But looking in from the outside, from the future or from a different perspective, it can be seen people may lack many inalienable human rights. Women can’t drive, the differently abled are denied jobs, children aren’t schooled, child labour still exists, rape camps still exist, albinos are murdered for their “good luck” properties...While social change takes time, legislative change ought not to take longer.

Public discussion on the topic will no doubt bring heated debate. No doubt the main naysayers are the ones who will take out full-page ads using the money of their congregations. Yet one would ask all parties come to the table with facts. If decriminalising homosexuality will bring fire and brimstone, let’s see an example of when this has happened (from real life, not from a parable).

If changing our immigration law such that people like Elton John are not categorised among prostitutes and imbeciles would make T&T one big orgy, show us how. If protecting the rights of gay citizens through equal opportunity laws would somehow spark economic ruin, then show us the proof.

With a little education on the topic all citizens and their respective leaders will see being gay is not a choice and being gay never hurt anyone else. The fact is these laws would really affect only the citizens they protect. The fact is some people are born with tight curls or of Indian origin or female or gay.

No one should be discriminated against by the protective services or employers or the State for any of the things they cannot change."

All rights For All!

#9476 Dec 30, 2012
NorCal Native wrote:
<quoted text>
Where is homosexuality mentioned? I don't see mention one of Gays or Lesbians in those particular scriptures, and again......we don't live by your religious beliefs or your bible!!!
You have just been caught in using logic.:)

LYEDIEW,
Mrs Whitewater

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Born in Newark Ohio

#9477 Dec 30, 2012
WaterBoarder wrote:
<quoted text>
Also,, if you take the countless Biblical statements that say we are to remain "sexually pure", and consider the indisputable fact that both the author and the intended audience of that day would have considered homosexual relations as grossly wrong, I think its safe to say there are many more verses that indirectly speak against homosexual sex. No need to cite them.
Hey...you brought it up.
Galatians 3:28

New International Version (©1984)
There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus.

http://bible.cc/galatians/3-28.htm

All rights For All!

#9478 Dec 30, 2012
WaterBoarder wrote:
<quoted text>
Good for you. I support your right to live how you wish without interference and with full dignity.
Unfortunately, some of your friends want much more than that. They want to teach other people's kids their ideas of sexuality and sexual morality. And they want to use the public school system to do it.
http://www.healthiersf.org/LGBTQ/InTheClassro...
Sorry...I can't sit back and let that happen. Pity...I really do wish you and your wife the very best. I don't hate you or anyone else and don't consider your relationship my business at all.
If you didn't consider my marriage your business, then why bring my marriage into it? And as for others wanting to bring tollerance into the schools, how long have we been fighting to seperate church an state and yet some still try to push prayer in puclic schools? Live and let live is the only right thing to do but that is too simple to understand I suppose.

Mrs Whitewater

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Born in Newark Ohio

#9479 Dec 30, 2012
WaterBoarder wrote:
<quoted text>
Good for you. I support your right to live how you wish without interference and with full dignity.
Unfortunately, some of your friends want much more than that. They want to teach other people's kids their ideas of sexuality and sexual morality. And they want to use the public school system to do it.
http://www.healthiersf.org/LGBTQ/InTheClassro...
Sorry...I can't sit back and let that happen. Pity...I really do wish you and your wife the very best. I don't hate you or anyone else and don't consider your relationship my business at all.
http://www.uuworld.org/2004/01/feature2.html

The Fundamentalist Agenda

From 1988 to 1993, the American Academy of Arts and Sciences sponsored an interdisciplinary study known as The Fundamentalism Project, the largest such study ever done. More than 100 scholars from all over the world took part, reporting on every imaginable kind of fundamentalism. And what they discovered was that the agenda of all fundamentalist movements in the world is virtually identical, regardless of religion or culture....

A third item follows from the others.(Indeed each part of the fundamentalist agenda is necessarily interlocked, and needs every other part to survive.) Since there is only one right picture of the world, one right set of beliefs, and one right set of roles for men, women, and children, it is imperative that this picture and these rules be communicated precisely to the next generation. Therefore, fundamentalists must control education by controlling textbooks and teaching styles, deciding what may and may not be taught...

Fourth, fundamentalists spurn the modern, and want to return to a nostalgic vision of a golden age that never really existed. Several of the scholars observed a strong and deep resemblance between fundamentalism and fascism. Both have almost identical agendas. Men are on top, women are subservient, there is one rigid set of rules, with police and military might to enforce them, and education is tightly controlled by the state. One scholar suggested that it's helpful to understand fundamentalism as religious fascism, and fascism as political fundamentalism. The phrase “overcoming the modern” is a fascist slogan dating back to at least 1941.

Since: Jun 11

AOL

#9480 Dec 30, 2012
"If Jesus ever said anything about homosexuality, it is not recorded in the Bible, even mistranslated. He did, however, speak extensively on God's unconditional love. Yet instead of dwelling on biblical love, Christians have historically been more concerned with obscure passages of Levitical cleanliness codes and Paul's misunderstood comments in Romans. Instead of focusing on the incredible injustice and hatred demonstrated by Christians and others, tying to deny homosexuals even basic civil rights, people appear more concerned with the specific homosexual acts between consenting adults who are naturally have a homosexual orientation. As James B. Nelson notes, the Bible more clearly advocates a "love ethic" rather than a "sex ethic."

I Cor 6:9, no way refers to homosexuality. The original Greek word often quoted as sexual immorality, Paul used was "porneia" which means "a harlot for hire". In Corinth in the temples of Venus, the principal deity of Corinth, where Christians went to worship, a thousand public prostitutes were kept at public expense to glorify and act as surrogates for the fertility Gods. This sex with the pagan Gods is what Paul was talking about - fornication is an admitted mistranslation and has nothing to do with gays or singles sex. This rendering reflected the bias of the translators rather than an accurate translation of Paul's words to a culture of 2000 years ago worshipping pagan sex gods.

Romans 1:26-27 mentions homosexual acts performed by people who are clearly described as heterosexual. The men in the NT patriarchal culture exerted dominance not only over women, but over younger males as well. The nature of homosexual acts in the Bible are so very different from what we know as homosexuality today that the passages have no application to today's homosexuality. Such practices as in NT times simply no longer exist. Alleged references to homosexuality in I Corinthians and I Timothy are the inventions of anti-gay translators. They are not in the original Greek texts." (Rev.Dr. Mel White)

The word "homosexual" wasn't even invented until 1869. When you see it in the bible, you know it is a modern mistranslation and misinterpretation of the original texts.

"What the Bible forbids is acts of lust, rape, idolatry, violation of religious purity obligations, or pederasty, but no condemnation of homosexuality in relationships of mutual respect and love. "On the other hand, the Bible pointedly celebrates instances of same-sex emotional intimacy, a fact often overlooked by fearful homophobic readers." James B. Nelson, Professor of Christian Ethics, United Theological Seminary

John 13:34: A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.

Matthew 22:37-40 Jesus said to him, You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind. This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it:'Love your neighbor as yourself. The entire law and all the demands of the prophets are based on these two commandments."

Matthew 7:12: So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets.

AOL

#9481 Dec 30, 2012
WaterBoarder wrote:
<quoted text>
You have equal treatment. Neither your or I have the fundamental right to marry our own sex. That is not what marriage is.
The legally recognized marriages of same sex couples in 10 states and many other countries, are not treated equally to the legal marriages of opposite sex couples from the same jurisdictions by the federal government and other states. This is discrimination under the law.

Marriage is a fundamental right of the individual.

The remaining question for some states and the feds, is whether gay people should be treated equally under the law, as required by the constitution, or denied equal treatment based on nothing more than a tradition of prejudice and discrimination.
Ray

Newport, OR

#9482 Dec 30, 2012
The more I think about homosexuality the more I pity homosexuals. It has to be terrible to turn your back on your body and humanity.

AOL

#9483 Dec 30, 2012
WaterBoarder wrote:
<quoted text>
We all live under the same laws and they are applied equally.
While most of the laws that have singled out gay people for punishment and discrimination have been repealed or declared unconstitutional, DOMA and others that deny equal treatment remain.

Again, the legal marriages of gay people are not treated equally to the legal marriages of straight people from the same jurisdictions. This is not equal application of the law.

AOL

#9484 Dec 30, 2012
WaterBoarder wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh...so its "gay marriage"?
No, it is the same contract straight people have. All of the same rules apply. Legal equality. It is marriage.

AOL

#9485 Dec 30, 2012
WaterBoarder wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, "many" don't believe that at all. A "few" do, and they are almost exclusively gay activists and those who sympathize with them. Real, Bible-believing Christians know better.
The "Bible doesn't really say that" argument is absurd. Fortunately, most people can read.
You guys crack me up with some of the crap you come up with. It's like you keep throwing anything you can against the wall hoping something will stick! The trouble is for those of us who have peaked behind the curtain we can see what your real goals and methods are.
"Several books already exist attempting to demonstrate that the Christian Bible does not, in fact, condemn consenting-adult homosexuality. But God is Not a Homophobe has a unique perspective in that the author has a lifetime of experience in pastoring hard-core fundamentalist churches. His former bitter opposition to all forms of homosexuality has given way to a rational, unbiased acceptance that the Bible says hardly anything about homosexuality, and what it does say cannot honestly be used to condemn consenting same-sex unions." "God is not a Homophobe: An unbiased look at Homosexuality in the Bible" by Philo Thelos

The New Testament and Homosexuality" Robin Scroggs, Prof of New Testament at Union Theological Seminary is a serious theologian and is favorable reviewed by many theologians. He is a happily married heterosexual with no personal bias. He includes cites from Boswell and expands further especially on pederasty and concludes there is nothing biblically wrong with homosexuality.

"What the Bible Really Says About Homosexuality" by Daniel Helminiask, PH.D., was ordained as a Catholic priest in 1967 and is incardinated in the Diocese of Pittsburgh. From 1981-1985 was Assoc Prof for Systematic Theology at Oblate School of Theology and earlier completed his Ph.D. in systematic theology at Boston College and Andover Newton Theological School. He concludes the Bible says absolutely nothing about homosexuality being sinful when you examine the actual Hebrew/Greek texts."

Baptist Rev Dr. William R. Stayton, Divinity degree from Andover
Newtown Theological School and on faculty of LaSalle University's Grad program in Religious studies:- "There is nothing in the Bible regarding homosexual orientation. In fact, the Bible does not concern itself with sexual orientation. It does speak against gang rape, male prostitution for religious purposes, and pederasty. I lead bible study programs on this subject and am convinced that the Bible does not address the issue of a person's sexual orientation."

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

#9486 Dec 30, 2012
Ray wrote:
The more I think about homosexuality the more I pity homosexuals. It has to be terrible to turn your back on your body and humanity.
Pretty tough to turn your back on your body unless you find yourself in out of body experiences and as far as humanity we're all in that soup bowl so I guess your point here is basically as worthless.

Try again genius.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#9487 Dec 30, 2012
Ray wrote:
Nobody cares about your pity fool. It seems you are really interested in gay sex. Why not do yourself a favor and go to a gay sex porn site?

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#9488 Dec 30, 2012
Wakanatabi wrote:
<quoted text>
Pretty tough to turn your back on your body unless you find yourself in out of body experiences and as far as humanity we're all in that soup bowl so I guess your point here is basically as worthless.
Try again genius.
Good one!!!

“CO2 is Gaseous Love”

Since: Dec 08

Home, sweet home.

#9489 Dec 31, 2012
LuLu Ford wrote:
A gay marrying a straight woman is not a marriage, it is a sham. Why would you advocate such a awful situation?
I wouldn't judge someone else's marriage. Oscar Wilde married Constance Lloyd and they had two sons, Cyril and Vyvyan. I'd assume he wanted his children to be raised by their mother and father like he was.

LuLu Ford wrote:
Are you this mean? You must be a horrible person.
^^^This is mere defamation. Many same sex marriage supporters don't have rational arguments, they vilify their opponents and rely on emotion.

LuLu Ford wrote:
This is the 21st century.
Human nature didn't change in the 21st Century.

LuLu Ford wrote:
Same-sex marriage is legal but not fully sanctioned, which means same-sex couple's fundamental rights are being violated.
Same sex marriage is limited by DOMA; taxpayers don't want to subsidize your same sex partner. Don't blame us when you can't win in the courts or voting booth.

LuLu Ford wrote:
Your argument about children is irrelevant. Why do you hate children who live in same-sex families? That is really mean spirited.
If you don't hate children, keep marriage male/female because every child raised by a same sex couple are raised without either a mother or a father.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wedding Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Supreme Court To Hear Arguments In Case Of Bake... 54 min Get Real 360
News What would Jesus say about same-sex marriage? (Jul '15) 56 min Get Real 13,221
News Australians embarrassed to be shown up by NZ on... 8 hr Frankie Rizzo 3
News 15 weird wedding rituals from all across the gl... 14 hr Parden Pard 4
News Tanzania suspends NGO for 'promotion' of gay ma... Sat Newt G s Next Rel... 3
News Our recommendation: Springboro voters should sa... (Feb '08) Sat paully 32,030
News From Jamaica to Knees Sat Team Kelly 1
More from around the web