Maryland Gay Marriage Could Hinge on ...

Maryland Gay Marriage Could Hinge on Black Churches

There are 9653 comments on the The Skanner story from Mar 1, 2012, titled Maryland Gay Marriage Could Hinge on Black Churches. In it, The Skanner reports that:

With Maryland poised to legalize gay marriage, some conservative opponents and religious leaders are counting on members of their congregations, especially in black churches, to upend the legislation at the polls this fall.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Skanner.

Jane Dough

Montpelier, VT

#8835 Dec 13, 2012
Mona Lott wrote:
<quoted text>
What makes you think that's a "strawman argument?" Let me guess... you never actually read that LOGIC FOR 1ST GRADERS textbook.
oh, you say this to everyone...
that's what makes you a bad bully...
Jane Dough

Montpelier, VT

#8836 Dec 13, 2012
Mona Lott wrote:
<quoted text>
Fortunately, this is the USA and your religious beliefs are NOT law.
nor are your beliefs the law...
you DO get that right?

You "believe" mothers are obsolete...
we choose to think that is crazy...
Jane Dough

Montpelier, VT

#8837 Dec 13, 2012
Mona Lott wrote:
<quoted text>
We understand that EVERY child has a biological mother and father, and if it wasn't for irresponsible heteros breeding like rabbits a
true, gays do not breed like rabbits...
this IS a rational distinction...

We also understand that every child has a bio mom and dad and that those two will never be a gay married couple...
Jane Dough

Montpelier, VT

#8838 Dec 13, 2012
Mona Lott wrote:
<quoted text>
Why is it you fundies think everybody should follow YOUR beliefs?
The same exact reason all you libs think we have to follow yours? Even when you are in the MINORITY...

You guys are just as much as cult as the bible thumpers...
Mona Lott

Hoboken, NJ

#8839 Dec 13, 2012
Jane Dough wrote:
<quoted text>
true, gays do not breed like rabbits...
this IS a rational distinction...
We also understand that every child has a bio mom and dad and that those two will never be a gay married couple...
Is that supposed to mean anything?
Mona Lott

Hoboken, NJ

#8840 Dec 13, 2012
Jane Dough wrote:
<quoted text>
How would encouraging non biological families help encourage biological families?
It wouldn't.
So what? Were you attempting to make a point?
Jane Dough

Montpelier, VT

#8841 Dec 13, 2012
Mona Lott wrote:
<quoted text>
Is that supposed to mean anything?
why are you even pretending you do anything but bully?

just play with the icons and make your idiotic bully comments and insist I am not a lawyer...
That's all you are good for...
we can all look back and see it for ourselves...
And of course, I'll help point it out....
Mona Lott

Hoboken, NJ

#8842 Dec 13, 2012
Jane Dough wrote:
<quoted text>
nor are your beliefs the law...
you DO get that right?
You "believe" mothers are obsolete...
we choose to think that is crazy...
Where did I say I believe that mothers are obsolete? I didn't. It's just another one of your hilarious jumps to false conclusions. You would have been eaten alive on the first day of Law School.
Jane Dough

Montpelier, VT

#8843 Dec 13, 2012
Mona Lott wrote:
<quoted text>
So what? Were you attempting to make a point?
How does encouraging gays add to our goal of trying to encourage biological families?

IT DOESN'T.

See how that works?

Just like how giving non-students student loans would not change that students get them, BUT WHY IN THE HELL WOULD WE DO THAT?

But be honest, you don't care to understand, you are just looking for fodder to try and bully..
so are you going to bully today assuming I am a lawyer like some days, or insisting I am not one, like other days?
you shape shift so fast I can't keep up...
Mona Lott

Hoboken, NJ

#8844 Dec 13, 2012
Jane Dough wrote:
<quoted text>
The same exact reason all you libs think we have to follow yours? Even when you are in the MINORITY...
You guys are just as much as cult as the bible thumpers...
Liberals are the minority?

Liberals are a cult?

You're an idiot.
Jane Dough

Montpelier, VT

#8845 Dec 13, 2012
Mona Lott wrote:
<quoted text>
Where did I say I believe that mothers are obsolete? I didn't. It's just another one of your hilarious jumps to false conclusions. You would have been eaten alive on the first day of Law School.
is both a mother and father optimum, or would two dads suffice?

Obsolete | Define Obsolete at Dictionary.com
adjective 1. no longer in general use; fallen into disuse:

yes, you think mothers are obsolete...

Eaten alive in law school?
I thought i failed the LSAT's?

And what about all the malpractice you accuse me of?

Oh right, you will say anything won't you fraud-boy?
Jane Dough

Montpelier, VT

#8846 Dec 13, 2012
Mona Lott wrote:
<quoted text>
Liberals are the minority?
Liberals are a cult?
You're an idiot.
Here's another gen by Mona..

He really contributes doesn't he?

Hey dude, how's that not responding to me going?
Was it the comment about me being like your dad what broke you?

Will you at least admit you even lied to yourself that you could ignore me...
but your used to letting yourself down, aren't you?

Reality is a funny thing, dude...

“You Get My Truth Here!”

Since: May 09

Nonya!

#8847 Dec 13, 2012
DaveinMass wrote:
<quoted text>
So you want gays to marry lesbians. But haven't you also raged on that if gays and lesbians marry, there would be this huge new expenditure of benefits. Won't those same benefits come due if gays marry lesbians?
And if I'm forced to marry a woman, I want to marry your daughter.
She wouldn't have you....
And Baxter was in the closet at the time. Wilde lived in an age when the mere fact he was a homosexual was a crime. That some homosexuals oppose marriage is irrelevant. Shall I start the list of heteros that oppose the institution of marriage?
And not everyone is born out of a 'relationship'. I'd not say that the sperm donor had a 'relationship'(that found in marriage) with the birth mother.
I love how you all portray biological mothers and fathers as incompetent horrors of people. Surely you know there are awesome biological married mothers and fathers out there raising awesome kids....
And same-gender families DO have the same utility for society given by male/female families. Greater financial stability seeking less government support.
Mothers and fathers have unique styles and relations within the family that only they can fill. They also demonstrate relations between the two adult sexes. This is why man/woman have babies, and no one else....

“You Get My Truth Here!”

Since: May 09

Nonya!

#8848 Dec 13, 2012
Mona Lott wrote:
<quoted text>
We understand that EVERY child has a biological mother and father, and if it wasn't for irresponsible heteros breeding like rabbits and throwing their offspring away, there would be no children for anyone to adopt. You don't.
Is that what happened to you???

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Home, sweet home.

#8849 Dec 13, 2012
DaveinMass wrote:
So you want gays to marry lesbians. But haven't you also raged on that if gays and lesbians marry, there would be this huge new expenditure of benefits. Won't those same benefits come due if gays marry lesbians?
It's not about what you or I want; the fact that homosexuals marry under the same laws as everyone else is a fact.

DaveinMass wrote:
And if I'm forced to marry a woman, I want to marry your daughter.
That's not up to me, you'd have to convince my daughter.

DaveinMass wrote:
And Baxter was in the closet at the time.
Closet or not, she married and had children

DaveinMass wrote:
Wilde lived in an age when the mere fact he was a homosexual was a crime.
Same thing, Oscar Wilde married and had two sons. There is no science fiction same sex reproduction method. Oscar had to have a heterosexual relationship to have children, like everyone else.

DaveinMass wrote:
That some homosexuals oppose marriage is irrelevant. Shall I start the list of heteros that oppose the institution of marriage?
Go for it.

The fact that some homosexuals oppose same sex marriage proves protecting gender diverse marriage doesn't make you a homophobe.

DaveinMass wrote:
And not everyone is born out of a 'relationship'. I'd not say that the sperm donor had a 'relationship'(that found in marriage) with the birth mother.
And same-gender families DO have the same utility for society given by male/female families. Greater financial stability seeking less government support.
A sperm donor might have a financial relationship with the mother of his child; that's still a relationship. Even with artificial insemination; it still takes a heterosexual relationship to have children.

I want to be clear so same sex marriage supporters can understand: same sex relationship don't bear children.
Polly Parrot

Santa Cruz, CA

#8850 Dec 13, 2012
SQUAWK

“Equality for ALL”

Since: Jul 10

Massachusetts

#8851 Dec 13, 2012
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>It's not about what you or I want; the fact that homosexuals marry under the same laws as everyone else is a fact.
<quoted text>That's not up to me, you'd have to convince my daughter.
<quoted text>Closet or not, she married and had children
<quoted text>Same thing, Oscar Wilde married and had two sons. There is no science fiction same sex reproduction method. Oscar had to have a heterosexual relationship to have children, like everyone else.
<quoted text>Go for it.
The fact that some homosexuals oppose same sex marriage proves protecting gender diverse marriage doesn't make you a homophobe.
<quoted text>A sperm donor might have a financial relationship with the mother of his child; that's still a relationship. Even with artificial insemination; it still takes a heterosexual relationship to have children.
Your reply is inane. But I will take the time to address the issue of a financial relationship. How much did your wife charge you to go out with her?
Brian_G wrote:
I want to be clear so same sex marriage supporters can understand: same sex relationship don't bear children.
But the bearing of children is not a requirement to marry in any jurisdiction in the United States.

Face it. This is a fact.

And same-sex couples DO HAVE CHILDREN! That they may not have naturally conceived them as a pair is irrelevant. The fact that the couples had children was one of the reasons the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court mandated civil marriage equality. Fact! Goodridge (2003).

Until a state denies a civil marriage to a hetero couple because they cannot naturally procreate -- this argument is legally suspect.

“Equality for ALL”

Since: Jul 10

Massachusetts

#8852 Dec 13, 2012
Get That Fool wrote:
She wouldn't have you....
I wouldn't want her because it would be a sham. Just as the marriage between myself and a lesbian would be. Would you support a marriage between a U.S. male and a foreign female with the sole purpose of that marriage to bring the female into the U.S.? No, it would be a sham marriage. Gays and lesbians seek to marry someone of their same sex for the same reasons most adults seek to marry. At the top of that list is love.
Get That Fool wrote:
I love how you all portray biological mothers and fathers as incompetent horrors of people. Surely you know there are awesome biological married mothers and fathers out there raising awesome kids....
I never said that male/female parents were all incompetent. YOU made the reference that there was a special 'relationship' in the male/female baby making process. Clearly I pointed out where that was not always true.
Get That Fool wrote:
Mothers and fathers have unique styles and relations within the family that only they can fill. They also demonstrate relations between the two adult sexes. This is why man/woman have babies, and no one else....
And since no two mothers are the same and no two fathers are the same and some mothers are more like fathers and some fathers are more like mothers....what's the point? I dare you to say what specific role the mother must play and what roles they must not play that are reserved for the father. You'll get no one (except those that long for the 1950's) to agree with you.

None of this matters when the state sanctions two people getting married. No state denies civil marriage to couples that cannot have children, don't want children. And no state prevents children born absent their parent's marriage.

And you continually ignore the fact that SAME-SEX COUPLES DO IN FACT HAVE CHILDREN!!!! Which was one of the reasons the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court in Goodridge (2003) granted civil marriage equality.

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#8853 Dec 14, 2012
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>.
We raise lovely children, though. So prove they are better off if their parents can't legally wed.

Let's hear your arguments.

And then, please provide a list of states that require that all couples procreate and that ban any couple from legal marriage if their children are not biologically related to both parents.

Good luck with that.

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#8854 Dec 14, 2012
Get That Fool wrote:
<quoted text>

No one is doing that, you silly thing. How in the world is saying that adoptive parents can be wonderful, insulting biological parents?

Your post is the only one bringing up such a concept.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wedding Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Religious liberty is rallying cry after gay mar... 33 min nhjeff 461
News Mormon church backs Utah LGBT anti-discriminati... 1 hr MORMON HUMAN RIGH... 6,573
News Gay wedding cake at center of Colorado Appeals ... 1 hr WasteWater 831
News Oregon issues final order in gay wedding cake case 3 hr Jon Boy 9
News End of Boy Scouts' ban on gays prompts elation ... 4 hr MORMON HUMAN RIGH... 81
News McGowan, Nall to wed 5 hr confused 1
News Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 8 hr Mark 52,069
More from around the web