Maryland Gay Marriage Could Hinge on Black Churches

Mar 1, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Skanner

With Maryland poised to legalize gay marriage, some conservative opponents and religious leaders are counting on members of their congregations, especially in black churches, to upend the legislation at the polls this fall.

Comments
8,261 - 8,280 of 9,656 Comments Last updated Nov 19, 2013
Mona Lott

Hoboken, NJ

#8813 Dec 12, 2012
Get That Fool wrote:
<quoted text>
It also doesn't erase the fact that they can and do have children together, while two same-sexed couples do not.....
Do we have to re-invent the wheel with you every time you show up? Reproduction is not a requirement for marriage.

“TAKIA AND TA TONKA”

Since: Aug 08

HAPPY TOGETHER!!!

#8814 Dec 12, 2012
Get That Fool wrote:
<quoted text>
It also doesn't erase the fact that they can and do have children together, while two same-sexed couples do not.....
Again, as you posted to me in another thread....fertility and procreation are not mandated in order to marry......so, then why does it matter if a Same-Sex Couple can't procreate between themselves? It would be an IRRELEVANT issue, right?

And with Stem Cell research.....whose to say that 2 Lesbians can't conceive between themselves in the immediate future?

“You Get My Truth Here!”

Since: May 09

Nonya!

#8815 Dec 12, 2012
Mona Lott wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you somehow think that stops being true if gay couples are permitted to marry? It will not affect you or your marriage. You are free to spawn as many little copies of yourself as you see fit.
Bringing up the same strawman arguments over and over doesn't change anything. It's never been about 'my' marriage...it's an 'American' institutional issue...

“You Get My Truth Here!”

Nonya!

#8816 Dec 12, 2012
NorCal Native wrote:
<quoted text>
Again, as you posted to me in another thread....fertility and procreation are not mandated in order to marry......so, then why does it matter if a Same-Sex Couple can't procreate between themselves? It would be an IRRELEVANT issue, right?
And with Stem Cell research.....whose to say that 2 Lesbians can't conceive between themselves in the immediate future?
'Experimental' children are neither here nor there. I've already explained that not every couple will bear children, but every child should have their mother and father present....you seem to want to slide past, go around, jump over and crawl under that one little statement...

“You Get My Truth Here!”

Nonya!

#8817 Dec 12, 2012
Mona Lott wrote:
<quoted text>
Do we have to re-invent the wheel with you every time you show up? Reproduction is not a requirement for marriage.
Never said it was....

“TAKIA AND TA TONKA”

HAPPY TOGETHER!!!

#8818 Dec 12, 2012
Get That Fool wrote:
<quoted text>
'Experimental' children are neither here nor there. I've already explained that not every couple will bear children, but every child should have their mother and father present....you seem to want to slide past, go around, jump over and crawl under that one little statement...
No, I don't......but again REGARDLESS of what you believe......you can't prevent American citizens who happen to be Gay or Lesbian from marry the person of their choosing.....and raising a family regardless of how the children are present!!!

“Equality for ALL”

Since: Jul 10

Massachusetts

#8819 Dec 12, 2012
Get That Fool wrote:
SO BAN DIVORCE!!! That is the only way a child can "have their mother and father present"!!!

And it is you... you seem to want to slide past, go around, jump over and crawl under that one little statement!

“Equality for ALL”

Massachusetts

#8820 Dec 12, 2012
Get That Fool wrote:
Never said it was....
But yet you use the fact that gays and lesbians do not naturally procreate as a pair as the reason they must be denied civil marriage!! A standard you do not apply to those heterosexual couples that cannot naturally procreate as a pair.

Heterosexual couples that adopt can marry.
Homosexual couples that adopt cannot marry.

Heterosexual couples that use in vitro fertilization can marry.
Homosexual couples that use in vitro fertilization cannot marry.

Heterosexual couples that use surrogacy can marry.
Homosexual couples that use surrogacy cannot marry.

Heterosexual couples that meet in Los Vegas can marry over the weekend.
Homosexual couples that have been together 20, 30, 40 years cannot marry.

----

You sir are a first class homophobe!!!

“You wish you were here!!”

The OC

#8821 Dec 12, 2012
NorCal Native wrote:
<quoted text>
Take your bible crap and shove it where the sun never shines on you........God didn't have ANYTHING to do with marriage!!!
Man/woman marriage defined by God the Father and confirmed by Christ.

"Haven't you read," he replied, "that at the beginning the Creator 'made them male and female,'and said,'For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh'? So they are no longer two, but one.(Matt 19:4-6...in the words of Jesus)

The OC

#8822 Dec 12, 2012
WasteWater wrote:
<quoted text>
So you admit that you can't prove your God exists.
Thank you.
The rest is just more garbled ontological BS which I dismiss.
Damn. You didn't make it past step one.
Care to try again?
The proof of God's existence is in the witness of his people.

http://iamsecond.com

The OC

#8823 Dec 12, 2012
Savant wrote:
<quoted text> I don;t know about this talk of Wilde as a "degenerate"--whatev er the hell that means- or a hero.
But Occar Wilde was a literary genius just as Michelangelo was an artistic genius.
I don't know how his being gay changes that.
Yes...a very talented man and a pederast. Just like Roman Polanski was a child rapist and a great movie director.

“TAKIA AND TA TONKA”

HAPPY TOGETHER!!!

#8824 Dec 12, 2012
WaterBoarder wrote:
<quoted text>
"Haven't you read," he replied, "that at the beginning the Creator 'made them male and female,'and said,'For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh'? So they are no longer two, but one.(Matt 19:4-6...in the words of Jesus)
If it's in the New Testament.......God didn't say it and it is only speculative that Jesus said it and again, our government is NOT governed by God or the bible!!!

Since: Jun 11

AOL

#8825 Dec 12, 2012
WaterBoarder wrote:
<quoted text>
Matthew 19 continued:7 “Why then,” they asked,“did Moses command that a man give his wife a certificate of divorce and send her away?”
8 Jesus replied,“Moses permitted you to divorce your wives because your hearts were hard. But it was not this way from the beginning. 9 I tell you that anyone who divorces his wife, except for sexual immorality, and marries another woman commits adultery.”
10 The disciples said to him,“If this is the situation between a husband and wife, it is better not to marry.”

11 Jesus replied,“Not everyone can accept this word, but only those to whom it has been given. 12 For there are eunuchs who were born that way, and there are eunuchs who have been made eunuchs by others—and there are those who choose to live like eunuchs for the sake of the kingdom of heaven. The one who can accept this should accept it.”

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#8826 Dec 13, 2012
Get That Fool wrote:
Not to mention it provides any children of the union with a mother AND a father....
Same sex marriage supporters don't understand that value to society.

“I Luv Carbon Dioxide”

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

#8827 Dec 13, 2012
DaveinMass wrote:
But yet you use the fact that gays and lesbians do not naturally procreate as a pair as the reason they must be denied civil marriage!! A standard you do not apply to those heterosexual couples that cannot naturally procreate as a pair.
Heterosexual couples that adopt can marry.
Homosexual couples that adopt cannot marry.
Heterosexual couples that use in vitro fertilization can marry.
Homosexual couples that use in vitro fertilization cannot marry.
Heterosexual couples that use surrogacy can marry.
Homosexual couples that use surrogacy cannot marry.
Heterosexual couples that meet in Los Vegas can marry over the weekend.
Homosexual couples that have been together 20, 30, 40 years cannot marry.
----
You sir are a first class homophobe!!!
Sure, homosexuals can marry under the same standards as everyone else. A gay can marry a lesbian, that homosexual couple has the same rights as any husband and wife.

Homosexuals have always married, I cite Oscar Wilde and Meredith Baxter for examples. Many homosexuals oppose courts imposing radical new marriage law on everyone. Every gay was born of gender diverse relationships; gender segregated relationships just don't have the same utility for society.

“Equality for ALL”

Massachusetts

#8828 Dec 13, 2012
Brian_G wrote:
Sure, homosexuals can marry under the same standards as everyone else. A gay can marry a lesbian, that homosexual couple has the same rights as any husband and wife.
So you want gays to marry lesbians. But haven't you also raged on that if gays and lesbians marry, there would be this huge new expenditure of benefits. Won't those same benefits come due if gays marry lesbians?

And if I'm forced to marry a woman, I want to marry your daughter.
Brian_G wrote:
Homosexuals have always married, I cite Oscar Wilde and Meredith Baxter for examples. Many homosexuals oppose courts imposing radical new marriage law on everyone. Every gay was born of gender diverse relationships; gender segregated relationships just don't have the same utility for society.
And Baxter was in the closet at the time. Wilde lived in an age when the mere fact he was a homosexual was a crime. That some homosexuals oppose marriage is irrelevant. Shall I start the list of heteros that oppose the institution of marriage?

And not everyone is born out of a 'relationship'. I'd not say that the sperm donor had a 'relationship'(that found in marriage) with the birth mother.

And same-gender families DO have the same utility for society given by male/female families. Greater financial stability seeking less government support.
Mona Lott

Hoboken, NJ

#8829 Dec 13, 2012
Get That Fool wrote:
<quoted text>
Bringing up the same strawman arguments over and over doesn't change anything. It's never been about 'my' marriage...it's an 'American' institutional issue...
What makes you think that's a "strawman argument?" Let me guess... you never actually read that LOGIC FOR 1ST GRADERS textbook.
Mona Lott

Hoboken, NJ

#8830 Dec 13, 2012
WaterBoarder wrote:
<quoted text>
Fortunately, this is the USA and your religious beliefs are NOT law.
Mona Lott

Hoboken, NJ

#8831 Dec 13, 2012
Brian_G wrote:
<quoted text>Same sex marriage supporters don't understand that value to society.
We understand that EVERY child has a biological mother and father, and if it wasn't for irresponsible heteros breeding like rabbits and throwing their offspring away, there would be no children for anyone to adopt. You don't.
Mona Lott

Hoboken, NJ

#8832 Dec 13, 2012
WaterBoarder wrote:
<quoted text>
The proof of God's existence is in the witness of his people.
http://iamsecond.com
None of them can provide any proof either.

Why is it you fundies think everybody should follow YOUR beliefs? Are you anti freedom of religion? Are you ignorant about philosphy?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wedding Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 57 min KiMare 49,489
Michael Jackson's children Paris, Prince and Bl... 2 hr Len is Disgusted 7
Obamas attend wedding of their longtime chef 3 hr serfs up 14
Homosexuality and the Bible (Aug '11) 3 hr Benjamo84 24,912
Our recommendation: Springboro voters should sa... (Feb '08) 7 hr ALL ABOUT THE FRE... 31,221
Tennessee judge issues first ruling in favor of... 8 hr Fa-Foxy 4
Gay marriage opponents take lower profile 8 hr The Troll Stopper 30
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Wedding People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••