Gay French politician receives death ...

Gay French politician receives death threat over marriage announcement

There are 6 comments on the Salon story from May 4, 2013, titled Gay French politician receives death threat over marriage announcement. In it, Salon reports that:

French politician Thierry Speitel was sent bullet in the mail after giving an interview with a local newspaper in which he discussed his desire to marry his partner and adopt children now that France has legalized same-sex marriage and equal adoption rights for gay couples.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Salon.

Truth

Minneapolis, MN

#1 May 4, 2013
A lot of the French society is very sexist and therefore homophobic, it's actually built into their language where everything is specified by gender.

Since: Dec 08

Toronto, ON, Canada

#2 May 4, 2013
I believe Emile Zola was threatened quite a number of times. When the French are passionate about a cause, right or wrong, they take it to the extreme.

Since: Dec 08

Toronto, ON, Canada

#3 May 4, 2013
Truth wrote:
A lot of the French society is very sexist and therefore homophobic, it's actually built into their language where everything is specified by gender.
I am not sure that logic makes sense. Chinese society is also very sexist yet the Chinese language is genderless (it doesn't really have grammar as it is a completely analytic language). I do think language can influence thought but I don't think grammatical gender actually does to that much of an extent. By your analogy, the Dutch and the Danish should think of the world as being either sexless of hermaphroditic as the two genders in their languages are neuter and common.
Vive lEthiopie

Ashland, VA

#5 May 4, 2013
I think this is why homosexual suicide is such an epidemic: they get TIRED of constantly being on the wrong side of nature.

“Luke laughs at hypocrites!”

Since: Sep 10

Palm Springs, California

#7 May 4, 2013
Vive lEthiopie wrote:
I think this is why homosexual suicide is such an epidemic: they get TIRED of constantly being on the wrong side of nature.
In a few years when gay marriage is national law and DOMA is an ugly memory, what will YOU do? Suicide? It'll be a win win for all of us...you'll be away from modern society and we won't have to sit through your nonsense and intolerance anymore.
Vive lEthiopie

Ashland, VA

#10 May 4, 2013
Curteese wrote:
<quoted text>In a few years when gay marriage is national law and DOMA is an ugly memory, what will YOU do? Suicide? It'll be a win win for all of us...you'll be away from modern society and we won't have to sit through your nonsense and intolerance anymore.
Yeah, yeah, and you're going to make the Earth spin in the opposite direction to that in which it's spun for the past several millennia too. One of these days, it just ain't here yet, right?

LOLOL

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wedding Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Getting used to gay unions 4 hr Frankie Rizzo 26
News What would Jesus say about same-sex marriage? (Jul '15) 4 hr Rose_NoHo 14,009
News Gay couples exchange vows in Montana after ruling (Nov '14) Wed BangmoPopoPedos 184
News Meghan McCain marries Ben Domenech in Arizona Wed American Citizen 1
News You're gay? You're out! Gay teacher sacked due ... Nov 22 Rabbis on the Run 2
News Free Woods: 19th century community unique in area (Feb '11) Nov 21 Draius Jesse Ballard 6
News PolitiFact NH: Did Margaret Sanger believe Afri... (Oct '15) Nov 21 Bill Clinton 6
More from around the web