Clergy members amp up support of gay ...

Clergy members amp up support of gay marriage

There are 2 comments on the WAND-TV Decatur story from Apr 4, 2013, titled Clergy members amp up support of gay marriage. In it, WAND-TV Decatur reports that:

A group of black Chicago area clergy members say they're supporting gay marriage not as a religious issue, but because it's a matter of equality.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WAND-TV Decatur.

Since: Apr 08

Cleveland, OH

#1 Apr 4, 2013
It would help more if they were to support marriage equality as a religious issue too. I can think of two reasons that would work:

- because Jesus taught to treat others as we ourselves would want to be treated, so same-sex couples should have their unions respected just like heterosexual unions

- because some religious groups do support same-sex marriages (and even perform rites to celebrate them), marriage equality is important in order to affirm freedom of religion. Religious groups that don't want to perform or recognize same-sex marriages can continue to ignore them, just like they are free to refuse to perform marriages for people of other faiths, or refuse to recognize divorce.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Since: Nov 07

Tawas City, Michigan

#2 Apr 4, 2013
Ooooh, they're going to lose their offical Black membership card for equating gays marrying to civil rights!

BINO- Black in name only?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wedding Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Massey - Geske (Jun '09) 1 hr Huh 21
News What would Jesus say about same-sex marriage? (Jul '15) 2 hr DebraE 5,658
News Judge won't hear gay adoptions because it's not... 5 hr Wondering 9
News Church-based institutions ponder same-sex benefits (Dec '14) 12 hr OneWomynRiot 14
News Will Islam Inherit the Earth? Thu Lawrence Wolf 202
News Lesbian Methodist bishop faces challenge to her... Apr 26 Rainbow Referee 2
News Bride of ISIS: From 'happily ever after' to hell Apr 26 Silly 1
More from around the web