Gay marriage? Not in the South

Sep 16, 2008 Full story: blogs.usatoday.com 456

Opinionline Archives By David Person In the region where the seeds of the civil rights movement were sown, gay rights are still a foreign concept HUNTSVILLE, Ala.

Full Story
First Prev
of 23
Next Last
Here in the South

Madison, AL

#1 Sep 16, 2008
Yes, here we don't even thing about the right to marry, we have to be preoccupied with the basic right to simply live.
verad

United States

#2 Sep 16, 2008
I am not surprised considering the south is just chock full of ignorant, bigoted rednecks. I cannot imagine why any educated, progressive person would want to live there - especially any minority of any kind.

“Plays well with others.”

Since: Jun 07

LIVING WELL*THE BEST REVENGE

#3 Sep 16, 2008
If you get married in Alabama and divorced in Tennessee, Are you still brother and sister?

Have to laugh at my favorite backwoods joke. Even as a lifelong Southerner....

Things just move a little slower down here...

Keep the faith...and girls, move now for happiness.
verad

United States

#4 Sep 16, 2008
Selecia Jones- JAX FL wrote:
If you get married in Alabama and divorced in Tennessee, Are you still brother and sister?
Have to laugh at my favorite backwoods joke. Even as a lifelong Southerner....
Things just move a little slower down here...
Keep the faith...and girls, move now for happiness.
Considering the things that pass for "normal" in some parts of the south... It just seems ironic that so many southerners are so judgmental and bigoted. Really.
Micah

Jasper, AL

#5 Sep 16, 2008
Take it from one who has lived here in the midst of them...they take their bigotry VERY SERIOUSLY!

It is amazing how hateful these church-going so-called "christians" are. Jesus would probably be ashamed of them.

This is the part of the country that the Republicans have a stranglehold on and I doubt it will be released in my lifetime. They have learned to capitalize on the fear and hatred of those damned queers and those awful abortionists.

The odd thing, though... my partner and I have lived among them for almost 20 years. There are SOME who have gotten to know us and are surprised that we aren't the "monsters" they have been taught we should be. They actually get to the point where they treat us pretty much like anyone else in the community.

The only way these people are going to change their minds is to get to know us. As the article states, there are so few of us living here openly and it's easy to hate "those people" who are somewhere else.

But when they get to know someone who is gay or (gasp!) a gay COUPLE who are pretty much like they are otherwise then their attitudes begin to change.

The exceptions, of course, are the local "bible beaters". They will carry their hatred to their graves.

“equality for ALL means ALL”

Since: Jan 07

Fort Lauderdale FL

#6 Sep 16, 2008
It's funny how the South thinks they're all important and special, and most of the rest of the country looks down on them.

Who tried to leave America? No wonder you're waving those flags so hard. Guilty conscience?

I give a lot of credit to the many good and kind (and smart!) folks across the South I've met over the years, in person and online, who rose above their indoctrinations.

The hicks are giving you all a bad name.

“Fundie SMACKER..”

Since: Mar 08

Sunshine city, St Petersburg

#7 Sep 16, 2008
verad wrote:
I am not surprised considering the south is just chock full of ignorant, bigoted rednecks. I cannot imagine why any educated, progressive person would want to live there - especially any minority of any kind.
Cause its warm and I'm gonna take the south back from them.. Calif is too crowded now so.. lets chase them out to sea!(The bigoted southerners)

“Trolls, the canker sores of”

Since: Jul 07

the internet.

#8 Sep 16, 2008
1noteasilyfooled wrote:
<quoted text>Cause its warm and I'm gonna take the south back from them.. Calif is too crowded now so.. lets chase them out to sea!(The bigoted southerners)
If we chased them out there we would have to file an environmental impact statement and they would probably get thrown back as toxic waste.
Alex

Laguna Niguel, CA

#9 Sep 16, 2008
Can we say "Confederate States of America"? LOL

Thank god I live in California

“equality for ALL means ALL”

Since: Jan 07

Fort Lauderdale FL

#10 Sep 16, 2008
I liked Bill Mahr's line a few years ago:

"Tell the South we changed our minds - they can go."
verad

Round Rock, TX

#11 Sep 17, 2008
Its hard to comprehend how in this country, in this century anyone could still be so backassward and proud of it.

“Equality for all!”

Since: Jul 08

Bedford, Texas

#12 Sep 17, 2008
I live in Texas, and I must be honest, as an openly gay person, I have not come across much bigotry. Most people that I know are live and let live. Those who are against homosexuality just choose not to say anything.

“I'm a Straight Woman...”

Since: Aug 08

WITH GAY PRIDE!!!!!!

#13 Sep 17, 2008
It'll happen eventually. It'll just take time. Unfortunately, people are suffering because of the time it is taking.

“Exercise Your Brain”

Planet Earth

#14 Sep 17, 2008
Micah wrote:
Take it from one who has lived here in the midst of them...they take their bigotry VERY SERIOUSLY!
It is amazing how hateful these church-going so-called "christians" are. Jesus would probably be ashamed of them.
This is the part of the country that the Republicans have a stranglehold on and I doubt it will be released in my lifetime. They have learned to capitalize on the fear and hatred of those damned queers and those awful abortionists.
The odd thing, though... my partner and I have lived among them for almost 20 years. There are SOME who have gotten to know us and are surprised that we aren't the "monsters" they have been taught we should be. They actually get to the point where they treat us pretty much like anyone else in the community.
The only way these people are going to change their minds is to get to know us. As the article states, there are so few of us living here openly and it's easy to hate "those people" who are somewhere else.
But when they get to know someone who is gay or (gasp!) a gay COUPLE who are pretty much like they are otherwise then their attitudes begin to change.
The exceptions, of course, are the local "bible beaters". They will carry their hatred to their graves.
Tell me about it! Personally I think it's the heat. I lived amongst a bunch of cranky Georgia people for 7 years. My neighbor carried a gun to walk across his yard to the mailbox....he didn't like my dog.

“Exercise Your Brain”

Planet Earth

#15 Sep 17, 2008
Alex wrote:
Can we say "Confederate States of America"? LOL
Thank god I live in California
They're still mad about "The War Of Northern Aggression." Maybe in another 150 years they'll get over it......maybe not.

I met a lady who said, "We were not brought up to think very highly of Mr. Lincoln."

Another lady's Grandmother remembers the eternal Hatfield/McCoy feud.

“Exercise Your Brain”

Planet Earth

#18 Sep 18, 2008
HUGH wrote:
<quoted text>What people? Gays they are not suffering Jane they are doing what they do best is lie, and act like they are a victim.The Gay Agenda is full of Lies, and such
I wish that elusive "Gay Agenda" could be found somewhere.

You must not be a native Californian, you're a backwater transplant aren't you?

“Vote NO on Prop 8”

Since: May 08

CA

#19 Sep 18, 2008
Hugh must you comment on every gay news article? I trully get tired of seeing your lame "Gay agenda" garbage on articles I post. Have you nothing better to do then sit around your house all day long reading about gay news? Why do you read gay news when you're so anti-gay? You would think someone like you would stay away from all things gay. I never get people like you.
Southern Belle

Huntsville, AL

#21 Sep 19, 2008
For all of you who are stereotyping all Southerners as bigots, racists, and non-Christians...why do you think you're any better? Here you are grouping together an entire quarter of the nation when most of you have probably never even been to the South! Yes, there are some people who fit your 'southern profile' but majority of people in the south are as one person said, live and let live. I could care less if anyone is white, black,purple, gay, straight, hermaphrodite or anything else! I love the South because people are kind. People love their country. People have a little morality left. I'm not saying those things don't exist in other parts of the country, but that's why I CHOOSE to live in the South.

Since: Dec 06

Rockford, IL

#22 Sep 19, 2008
Honey, I KNOW something about the south, having spent the first 40 years of my life trapped there. And those "stereotypes" are indeed accurate. The south is THE most racist, sexist, and homophobic place I've ever seen. People are kind to you IF they think you are just like them; however, if you are from a different race, religion, or sexual orientation, then watch out! The "morality" is fire-and-brimstone drivel straight out of the Dark Ages.

Now, there ARE progressive, well-educated people in the south, but they are so out-numbered by the rednecks and Neanderthals, that I fear for their sanity as well as their survival.

The happiest day of my life was when I was finally able to escape from the hell-hole of the south.
Southern Belle wrote:
For all of you who are stereotyping all Southerners as bigots, racists, and non-Christians...why do you think you're any better? Here you are grouping together an entire quarter of the nation when most of you have probably never even been to the South! Yes, there are some people who fit your 'southern profile' but majority of people in the south are as one person said, live and let live. I could care less if anyone is white, black,purple, gay, straight, hermaphrodite or anything else! I love the South because people are kind. People love their country. People have a little morality left. I'm not saying those things don't exist in other parts of the country, but that's why I CHOOSE to live in the South.

“Yes, you can die of stupidity.”

Since: Nov 07

Huntington Station

#23 Sep 19, 2008
albtraum wrote:
<quoted text>
I wish that elusive "Gay Agenda" could be found somewhere.
You must not be a native Californian, you're a backwater transplant aren't you?
I've got a copy on my desk, should I send it to you?:)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 23
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wedding Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
What if high court rejects gay marriage cases? 10 min WeTheSheeple 17
Divorce Law Out Of Synch With Same-Sex Marriage 1 hr eJohn 42
Church boots AA group over gay weddings 1 hr Wondering 46
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 1 hr Jonah1 50,078
German Ethics Council Insists Sex Between Broth... 2 hr Reality 7
Gazans rush to enjoy life after ruinous war 9 hr James 98
Today's News: Our Take - Melody Thomas Scott Di... (Apr '13) 21 hr dmw 50

Wedding People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE