Court rules California bakeries may R...

Court rules California bakeries may REFUSE to decorate cakes for gay...

There are 66 comments on the NewsTarget.com story from Feb 14, 2018, titled Court rules California bakeries may REFUSE to decorate cakes for gay.... In it, NewsTarget.com reports that:

Forcing independent business owners to provide goods or perform services in violation of their consciences defies the intent and spirit of the First Amendment to the United States Constitution, a California judge recently ruled . The case centered around Bakersfield cake baker Cathy Miller, of Tastries Bakery, who was sued by a lesbian couple after she refused to bake a wedding cake for them.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NewsTarget.com.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Rainbow Kid

New York, NY

#1 Feb 15, 2018
It certainly took the fundies a while to get around to this Feb 7 news story
We're reading this week old news story a week later on Feb 14
Here's the gist of the story:
She is still required by law to sell cakes displayed for sale in the bakery's showroom to all customers including gay customers without discrimination or segregation on the ground of race, color, religion, or national origin.
Judge Lampe determined she is NOT required to sell a cake that doesn't exist (not baked yet)
Its interesting how the fundies are trying to spin a non-event into some sort of blame game
Rainbow Kid

New York, NY

#2 Feb 15, 2018
Using the judge's logic; a gay-owned restaurant can refuse service to fake christians because the food isn't cooked yet
Test cases coming; watch for it
Hudson

New York, NY

#3 Feb 15, 2018
This will take a dive on appeal. The legal reasoning is beyond sophomoric.
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

#4 Feb 15, 2018
Hudson wrote:
This will take a dive on appeal. The legal reasoning is beyond sophomoric.
BWAHAHAHA!

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Hudson

New York, NY

#5 Feb 15, 2018
Wondering wrote:
BWAHAHAHA!
I see you still lack the mental capacity to address the topic, present an argument, or attempt to support your position with facts.

Tell me, Wondering, do you honestly believe that this case has a snowballs chance in hades of standing upon appeal?

Do you honestly think the Supreme Court will not have rendered the appeal irrelevant before the case can be heard?
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

#7 Feb 15, 2018
Hudson wrote:
<quoted text>
I see you still lack the mental capacity to address the topic, present an argument, or attempt to support your position with facts.

Tell me, Wondering, do you honestly believe that this case has a snowballs chance in hades of standing upon appeal?

Do you honestly think the Supreme Court will not have rendered the appeal irrelevant before the case can be heard?
It will be decades before you reach sophomoric, if you ever do.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

“Adam and Steve”

Since: Aug 08

Earth

#8 Feb 15, 2018
It is not surprising that Judge David Lampe is a member of Trump's "Presidential Prayer Team," and evidently an evangelical Christian and maybe a fundamentalist as well. I wonder if his Christian lifestyle had anything to do with his decision.

Here is a link for the Presidential Prayer Team:

https://www.presidentialprayerteam.org/

Take a look at the WHO WE ARE section. Scary.
Trump s Birtherexorcism

Philadelphia, PA

#10 Feb 15, 2018
This is great news. On the basis of the owners' religious beliefs businesses may now choose not to serve patriarchally inclined customers, or female customers who don't wear a headcovering, or non vegetarians, or those who don't wear magic underwear (inspections needed,) or even those customers who have zippers or fancy buttons on their clothing. The sky is the limit here...as long as it stems from a "religious" belief on the part of the business owner...of which there's no shortage of crazy ones.
Hudson

Housatonic, MA

#11 Feb 16, 2018
Wondering wrote:
It will be decades before you reach sophomoric, if you ever do.
Tell me, Wondering, did you have anything relevant to say? Do you honestly think that this decision has any chance of prevailing upon appeal?
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

#12 Feb 16, 2018
Hudson wrote:
<quoted text>
Tell me, Wondering, did you have anything relevant to say?
You don't.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Hudson

Housatonic, MA

#13 Feb 16, 2018
Wondering wrote:
You don't.
The case was childishly reasoned and has no chance of withstanding appeal in California. Only a fool would claim to the contrary.

Feel free to keep defending it, though. You have a most impressive losing streak when it comes to predicting court outcomes.
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

#14 Feb 16, 2018
Hudson wrote:
<quoted text>
The case was childishly reasoned and has no chance of withstanding appeal in California. Only a fool would claim to the contrary.

Feel free to keep defending it, though. You have a most impressive losing streak when it comes to predicting court outcomes.
Forget about California. You may not know this but the SCOTUS is looking at it.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Hudson

Housatonic, MA

#15 Feb 16, 2018
Wondering wrote:
Forget about California. You may not know this but the SCOTUS is looking at it.
There's a neat thing about the US Supreme Court, Wondering. You see, they are smart people, unlike you, who can tell the difference between speech and dessert.

It is hardly my fault that you will grasp on to even the most absurd of arguments to advance your bigoted anti-gay zealotry. Personally, I think your zeal indicates self-loathing latency.
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

#16 Feb 16, 2018
Hudson wrote:
<quoted text>
There's a neat thing about the US Supreme Court, Wondering. You see, they are smart people, unlike you, who can tell the difference between speech and dessert.
A wedding cake is far more than dessert, it's a symbol. It's also a custom creation. Symbols are a form of speech. You don't have to have the same religious views as these Christian bakers but you need to show respect for other people, something you've never learned. I favor freedom of choice and religion, you don't.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Hudson

Housatonic, MA

#17 Feb 16, 2018
Wondering wrote:
A wedding cake is far more than dessert, it's a symbol. It's also a custom creation. Symbols are a form of speech. You don't have to have the same religious views as these Christian bakers but you need to show respect for other people, something you've never learned. I favor freedom of choice and religion, you don't.
No, Wondering, it is a confection. These bakers keep trying to turn it into a symbol, or an expression, or an endorsement, but at the end of the day, it is just dessert.
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

#18 Feb 16, 2018
Hudson wrote:
<quoted text>
No, Wondering, it is a confection. These bakers keep trying to turn it into a symbol, or an expression, or an endorsement, but at the end of the day, it is just dessert.
You can believe whatever you want to. Christian bakers can believe whatever they want to. See, I'm for personal freedom and your not.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Hudson

Housatonic, MA

#19 Feb 16, 2018
Wondering wrote:
You can believe whatever you want to. Christian bakers can believe whatever they want to. See, I'm for personal freedom and your not.
No, Wondering, you are for Christian bakers being allowed to project their beliefs onto others by denying them services, which is an act of religious persecution.

Were you not intensely unintelligent, you would see that.
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

#20 Feb 16, 2018
Hudson wrote:
<quoted text>
No, Wondering, you are for Christian bakers being allowed to project their beliefs onto others
No, puppy, I am for allowing people the right to free exercise in all aspects of their lives. For these bakers it isn't something that you can just turn off or on. You are free to disagree, again, no one cares what you think, it's irrelevant.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Pope Nosferatu s Closet

Philadelphia, PA

#21 Feb 16, 2018
Hudson wrote:
<quoted text>
Tell me, Wondering, did you have anything relevant to say?
What an amazingly naive question. Of course that closet case troll has nothing relevant to say; you reply to posters like him for reasons other than any sincerity on his part.
Wondering

Tyngsboro, MA

#22 Feb 16, 2018
Pope Nosferatu s Closet wrote:
<quoted text>

What an amazingly naive question. Of course that closet case troll has nothing relevant to say; you reply to posters like him for reasons other than any sincerity on his part.
He swore never to reply to me again at least 6 times, he can't help it. Did I mention that he's a liar.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wedding Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News What would Jesus say about same-sex marriage? (Jul '15) 2 hr bohart 20,745
News PERGAS says it does not support repeal of gay s... 6 hr Abrahammock Relig... 11
News Sen. Schumer's Daughter to Marry Lesbian Partner Tue hal 27
News Soon-Yi Previn and Woody Allen's strange charm ... Tue Parden Pard 1
News Gay wedding ban sparks cruise boycott call Mon say it loud 14
News Belgrade Gay Pride participants call for law on... Sep 17 Percy 1
News Fake news: The bold-as-brass conman who pretend... Sep 16 wichita-rick 1