Ben Carson regrets word choice in gay marriage comment

Mar 30, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Detroit News

Dr. Benjamin Carson, the famed Johns Hopkins neurosurgeon, apologized Friday for his "choice of words" and use of examples in discussing gay marriage on Fox News earlier in the week.

Comments
1 - 19 of 19 Comments Last updated Mar 31, 2013

Since: Jan 12

Port Richey, FL

#1 Mar 30, 2013

“We are all atheists”

Since: May 11

Lewes, DE

#2 Mar 30, 2013
"I certainly believe gay people should have all the rights that anybody else has. What I was basically saying is that as far as marriage is concerned that has traditionally been between a man and a woman and nobody should be able to change that."

So, "Doctor," we should have all the same rights. But nobody can change them when we don't have the same rights. How exactly does that work?

"I certainly apologize if I offended anyone..." He and his Christianist privilege - he cannot even see that he might have offended someone by comparing us with NAMBLA and bestiality.

"The reason I believe the way I do, I will readily confess, is because I am a Christian who believes in The Bible."

News flash, "Doctor," there are plenty of Christians and plenty of churches who do not believe the way you do, and who do not read the tiny handful of mistranslated verses as condemning of homosexuality. Maybe you should seek guidance from your deity on how not to be hateful and discriminatory.
The Magus

Tempe, AZ

#3 Mar 30, 2013
The US Supreme Court this week held that blacks are better than gays.
Tea Bag Residue Cleanup

Philadelphia, PA

#4 Mar 30, 2013
The Magus wrote:
The US Supreme Court this week held that blacks are better than gays.
Scratch a homophobe, find a racist. And vice versa.

And no, the Supreme Court did not rule that this week. Race already got "heightened scrutiny" before last week, but even there that is not saying "blacks are better than gays." And there is overlap between those two groups, anyway.
Tea Bag Residue Cleanup

Philadelphia, PA

#5 Mar 30, 2013
Jesus told me that we're all sinners. Murderers, rapist, alcoholics, adulterers, liars, fundamentalist christian, thieves, drug users, child abusers need to repent.

Oh, I apologize for my word choice. I certainly intended no disrespect to fundamentalist christians just by suggesting they are sinners along with those other sinners. And the fact I would wish to deny fundamentalist christians doesn't matter, because I will just lie and say I don't wish to deny fundamentalist christians, say, the right to marry the gender of their choice.

There. Now that I have cleared that up may I get to speak at Johns Hopkins Medical School's graduation ceremony?
I am better than you

Henderson, NV

#6 Mar 30, 2013
Homophobe is meaningless per the AP.

Blacks are as against you as anyone, so there goes your desperate assertion.

We all saw what happened in the Supreme Court.

Gay is not the new black.
Tea Bag Residue Cleanup

Philadelphia, PA

#7 Mar 30, 2013
I am better than you wrote:
Homophobe is meaningless per the AP/....We all saw what happened in the Supreme Court.
Jethro, the AP maintained that "homophobe" is a medical diagnosis, and therefore should not be used casually.

It's not meaningless, and I do use it the same casual way I would use "cancerous" to describe sexually sick, hate spewing bigots.

Say what you mean about the Supreme Court exactly, filth. What ruling are you talking about?
Tom from Davenport

Justice, IL

#8 Mar 30, 2013
That's not at all what the AP said when they threw it out!

LMFAO
Chance

Grove City, PA

#9 Mar 30, 2013
Liberals are wasting no time with the take-down on this wonderful man - a testament to how threatening good common sense is to the progressive agenda.
Tea Bag Residue Cleanup

Philadelphia, PA

#10 Mar 30, 2013
Tom from Davenport wrote:
That's not at all what the AP said....
Then you tell me what the AP said, Cletus. With a quote.
Tea Bag Residue Cleanup

Philadelphia, PA

#11 Mar 30, 2013
Chance wrote:
Liberals are wasting no time with the take-down on this wonderful man - a testament to how threatening good common sense is to the progressive agenda.
Soon, you will be the victim of systemic defamation, christianist.
Blacks better than gays

Tempe, AZ

#12 Mar 30, 2013
The US Supreme Court held you're not equal. That's precedent. Stare decisis. That issue is foreclosed.

So, your orders are laughable.

Maybe if you were black someone would listen.

“Luke laughs at hypocrites!”

Since: Sep 10

Palm Springs, California

#13 Mar 30, 2013
Ohh, dear, I've met PLENTY of gay black guys in my career, PLENTY. Black women also.

In fact, I had a lovely relationship with a wonderful handsome black man who was so closeted that he could not commit and finally left. Years later, after he opened up to the world, he let me know how much he regretted not being more open earlier, but by then I had moved on. It was his church upbringing that ruined his life. He was a smoker and died a few years ago from lung cancer. Too sad.

“Luke laughs at hypocrites!”

Since: Sep 10

Palm Springs, California

#14 Mar 30, 2013
Chance wrote:
Yawn. Another big mouth who has shot down his own career. Bye, bye.

Since: Jan 12

Port Richey, FL

#15 Mar 30, 2013
Different color same discrimination its not rocket science

Since: Oct 10

San Francisco

#16 Mar 30, 2013
Chance wrote:
Speaking of wasting time, SniKKKers, you spend yours trolling gay forums for no other reason than to criticize gays, knowing full well that nothing you say will change any of us into the bible-thumping heterosexuals you deem so superior. You're hardly qualified to recognize "good common sense."
Tea Bag Residue Cleanup

Philadelphia, PA

#17 Mar 30, 2013
Blacks better than gays wrote:
The US Supreme Court held you're not equal.
What SCOTUS ruling was that last week that supposedly determined that, Cletus?

Is yall being ignant agin?

DNF

“Religious Freedom to Marry”

Since: Apr 07

Newark OH / Baltimore MD

#18 Mar 31, 2013
Mr Carson makes the claim that he's a 'Bible believing Christian'. That's fine, but as such a well educated man he might want to educate himself more on what various 'bible believing Christians' thought about in previous times what traditional marriage meant.

"Opponents of the bill saw it as a slippery slope that would lead to the legalization of all kinds of incest...They drew arguments from the Bible... Supporters of the act argued that prohibiting these marriages was unfair to the poor, who could not afford to hire help and could not travel out of the country to get married, as the upper class often did to get around the law...The Deceased Wife's Sister's Marriage Act finally passed in 1907. By that time, the prohibition had long been lifted in most of Europe, the United States and the colonies. At the same time, society was changing in a way that meant fewer women were dying in childbirth and single women had more opportunities to support themselves. Not as many people wanted to make this kind of marriage. But if they did, they finally had freedom to choose it. After registering a few sputtering complaints, opponents of the bill got used to it too, and the world continued to spin."

http://news.yahoo.com/65-battle-over-deceased...
down with Tyrone

Justice, IL

#19 Mar 31, 2013
Clarence Thomas is married to a white woman (Loving) yet he was leaning horizontally talking to a clerk the whole while Olson addressed the court. Maureen Dowd wants him impeached for disrespecting you.

Thurgood Marshall was on the Supreme Court in Baker.

They are more horrified by you than movie audiences are by the two homosexuals in The Shining, one of whom is in a bear suit.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wedding Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
This industry illustrates the unresolved legal ... 18 min Dr Reker s Bellhop 15
Homosexuality and the Bible (Aug '11) 49 min KiMerde 24,905
Gay marriage opponents take lower profile 1 hr Sneaky Pete 28
'Gayborhoods' fade with growing acceptance of LGBT 1 hr Quest 13
Our recommendation: Springboro voters should sa... (Feb '08) 1 hr Another View 31,216
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 1 hr B Hole 49,456
3 states, plaintiffs want Supreme Court to hear... 1 hr WeTheSheeple 22
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Wedding People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••