Our recommendation: Springboro voters...

Our recommendation: Springboro voters should say 'yes' the first time to school levies

There are 31937 comments on the Dayton Daily News story from Feb 5, 2008, titled Our recommendation: Springboro voters should say 'yes' the first time to school levies. In it, Dayton Daily News reports that:

Recommended local sites More... UD sports info, pictures and discussions Are you a UD sports fan? Whether you like basketball, volleyball, soccer, men's or women's teams -- Doesn't matter -- this site is for ... via Dayton Daily News

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Dayton Daily News.

poundsand

Dayton, OH

#28860 Nov 6, 2013
Vote Today wrote:
The election is over and these guys won but someone please tell me what specifically they will do.
Malone - super nice guy. However his history shows he is not much of an innovator or a person that can initiate improvements. Lolli pointed this out in reviews and audits point it out as well yet he was elected.
Stucky - Could not get his peers to promote him to Junior High coach. Not many if any students speak positively about him. Yet he was elected.
Anderson - Honestly I know nothing about him.
Someone please tell me in specifics what these men will do other than turn a blind eye to everything and give union back control.
I understand the controversies of the previous board but they made some great progress. The water was muddied with some of the side show stuff but in the end fiscal responsibility was restored.
I want our BOE an community to succeed and move forward but I don't see these guys doing much to help. I hope Mr. Petrey is good enough to point the way.
^ BRAVO. Thank you for posting such a reasonable, rational, well put comment. That's the best I've seen in a long time.

I would also like to know what they will do. Their campaign website sure didn't say anything of substance.
No debate means No choice

Dayton, OH

#28861 Nov 6, 2013
Waste Watchers wrote:
<quoted text>
You Betcha Anderson won't be backing neither the Petroni/Rigano
board members, NOR the Malone/Stuckey newly elected board members who are the only TWO retired educators.
You Betcha Mr. Anderson will be held ACCOUNTABLE TO PUT OUR STUDENTS FIRST, by the community taxpayers, to BACK the support of our Students First/Fiscal Responsibility reform minded vision for our CHILDREN'S 21st Century Quality Classroom Education, while living within our Children's First Budgeting agenda.
and btw-- Community taxpayers will be watching for SIGNS of wasteful spending with our hard earned school tax dollars;
a new levy will not be needed in our school district for many
years... and that's a Responsible Budgeting thing.
Umm, check the results. B/V ran on the "Children's First Budgeting agenda", THEY LOST. Also in other races where our BOE President backed candidates ("Children's First Budgeting agenda") they lost as well (Olentangy, etc.).

And don't forget that community taxpayers voted M/S/A 2 to 1 over B/V. That "silent majority" we've been hearing about never showed at the polls.
CELEBRATE OUR SUCCESS

Springfield, OH

#28862 Nov 6, 2013
It's the BIG DAY AFTER, or THE NEXT DAY, whichever side you are on in the direction of fair balanced! As in all elections, there are winners and losers; with all sides getting something they want; but none taking it all!

Our schools and community WON BIG with the approval of the REDUCED renewal levy that saves taxpayers $6.5 million! Hooray for Us!

Now that our school's financial success is stable for many years to come... with no NEW money needed for year...there will be no fear in our school district leaders' commitment to ensure that the children of the Springboro community receive an excellent education while keeping the costs of that education affordable, by carefully adhering to responsible spending!

Our Paid for by Educate Springboro endorsement of former BOE Member and 2013 school board candidate, Charles Anderson, brought victory to Educate Springboro's choice of candidates, as their call to endorse Anderson as the third candidate influenced voters to push Anderson into First Place, with the pro-union retired educators Ron Malone and David Stuckey, trailing behind the successful businessman, Charles Anderson, as our FIRST elected board representative! HOORAY FOR EDUCATE SPRINGBORO!

I hope you are as tired of the controversy surrounding the school board as I am. The controversy has been exaggerated by MSA’s supporters to gain advantage and influence this election against the incumbent board members. The best way to move beyond the controversy is to not perpetuate it by electing one side then the next repeatedly. We can now move ahead for the next two years with a fair and balanced school board; TWO board members supporting using our school tax dollars to deliver the highest level of education by raising the bar well past the state minimums, striving to challenge our children, parents, and staff to reach higher....

And we now have elected TWO board members who are former school employees, who want to change the Students First direction in which our current board is successfully leading, pledging to re-define the role of a school board member, putting the re-emphasis on the value of the adult educators first. And that's a re-instate Malone's status quo thing.... And a detriment to our Students first 21st century quality classroom education.

Mr. Anderson, who was projected during the campaign to be the Third wheel, easily rolled into FIRST place winner with the ES endorsement.
Now, as ONE individual among the FIVE individual
board members, Mr.Anderson will be the odd man out, OR,
the swing vote in every decision that our "Students First VS Adult Educators First" board representatives will consider in the best interest of our Students First! And that's going to be a very divisive thing for our schools and community!

So, we've only just begun the big controversial issues that will be dealt with in our Springboro
School Board of Education regular business meetings, conducted in an open and transparent
way in front of the TV cameras!

Dayton, OH

#28863 Nov 6, 2013
poundsand wrote:
<quoted text>
^ BRAVO. Thank you for posting such a reasonable, rational, well put comment. That's the best I've seen in a long time.
I would also like to know what they will do. Their campaign website sure didn't say anything of substance.
Watch and you will see. If the community wanted to see what B/V would have done, maybe they would have won the election. They stated their principals. If you missed them on their website then you must be blind. They even spoke to them at the debate. Can't say I heard anything from B/V at the debate. Oh right, they didn't show. No debate means No choice.
partisan

Dayton, OH

#28864 Nov 6, 2013
CELEBRATE OUR SUCCESS wrote:
It's the BIG DAY AFTER, or THE NEXT DAY, whichever side you are on in the direction of fair balanced! As in all elections, there are winners and losers; with all sides getting something they want; but none taking it all!
Our schools and community WON BIG with the approval of the REDUCED renewal levy that saves taxpayers $6.5 million! Hooray for Us!
Now that our school's financial success is stable for many years to come... with no NEW money needed for year...there will be no fear in our school district leaders' commitment to ensure that the children of the Springboro community receive an excellent education while keeping the costs of that education affordable, by carefully adhering to responsible spending!
Our Paid for by Educate Springboro endorsement of former BOE Member and 2013 school board candidate, Charles Anderson, brought victory to Educate Springboro's choice of candidates, as their call to endorse Anderson as the third candidate influenced voters to push Anderson into First Place, with the pro-union retired educators Ron Malone and David Stuckey, trailing behind the successful businessman, Charles Anderson, as our FIRST elected board representative! HOORAY FOR EDUCATE SPRINGBORO!
I hope you are as tired of the controversy surrounding the school board as I am. The controversy has been exaggerated by MSA’s supporters to gain advantage and influence this election against the incumbent board members. The best way to move beyond the controversy is to not perpetuate it by electing one side then the next repeatedly. We can now move ahead for the next two years with a fair and balanced school board; TWO board members supporting using our school tax dollars to deliver the highest level of education by raising the bar well past the state minimums, striving to challenge our children, parents, and staff to reach higher....
And we now have elected TWO board members who are former school employees, who want to change the Students First direction in which our current board is successfully leading, pledging to re-define the role of a school board member, putting the re-emphasis on the value of the adult educators first. And that's a re-instate Malone's status quo thing.... And a detriment to our Students first 21st century quality classroom education.
Mr. Anderson, who was projected during the campaign to be the Third wheel, easily rolled into FIRST place winner with the ES endorsement.
Now, as ONE individual among the FIVE individual
board members, Mr.Anderson will be the odd man out, OR,
the swing vote in every decision that our "Students First VS Adult Educators First" board representatives will consider in the best interest of our Students First! And that's going to be a very divisive thing for our schools and community!
So, we've only just begun the big controversial issues that will be dealt with in our Springboro
School Board of Education regular business meetings, conducted in an open and transparent
way in front of the TV cameras!
As Anderson was on the school board many years ago, he was remembered as a person who wanted out...from the school board....so the question begs, why now Mr. Anderson....have you grown stronger with age...unlike all of your customers ? Will you be a puppet to the union backed "gods" ?...SADLY,I believe you will cave in once again..
Logic

Dayton, OH

#28865 Nov 6, 2013
Let the Light Shine In wrote:
<quoted text>
While political banter may be dirty politics during a school board campaign; now that Mr. Anderson is elected as the Number One most popular; ahead of Malone and Stuckey; he is no longer accountable to his Anderson/Malone/Stuckey ticket;
Mr. Anderson not longer has the luxury of flocking with the threesome; he is an INDIVIDUAL elected official, fully accountable to the Taxpaying community; and NO longer allowed to wear only the Union label.
Hopefully, between the filing of senseless complaints over signs of symbolism, Mr. Anderson, Mr. Malone, and Mr. Stuckey will find time to study up on all the Substances of the Springboro Board of Education By Laws and Policies mandated by the State and subject to the Sunshine Laws!
By that logic one could say that:

R/P have been fully accountable to the Taxpaying community; and NO longer allowed to wear only the "Fiscal Responsibility" or "Tea Party" label.

They've been on the board 2 years and failed to have their majority maintained.

Seems like the "Taxpaying community" had their say....

So if I read this right it could also be said that R/P (who also were vocal in this election)
popularly insane

Springfield, OH

#28866 Nov 6, 2013
Put On A Happy Face wrote:
<quoted text>
I'd like to "help the MSA supporters" turn that frown of disappointment upside down and help them all come together now
... and why not start spreading around some of that "lovin' Malone" with a smile and have a nice day!
Whatever happened to that all that business as usual happiness being spread around by our "insanely popular" has been a SHS principal for the past thirteen years?
Yesterday on E. Mill St, in full view of a number of voters entering and exiting the polls, our high school principal of 13 years severely diminished his image by blowing off a very genuine introduction attempt by Vaughn. Obviously, our former high school principal harbours a certain amount of anger and spite that he works to keep undercover. This explains why some teachers act very professionally and responsibly while they're in the classrooms only to melt down into creatures of spite in the boardroom. Apples tend to not to roll very far from the tree, y'know.
Doug Wiedeman

Cleveland, OH

#28867 Nov 6, 2013
Disappointing wrote:
<quoted text> \. It's disappointing that Doug Weiderman tried to scare people by talking about unions and taking statistics out of context. It's disappointing that
Malone, Stuckey, and Anderson have a mandate.
Not really, the only people who went out to vote went out to support the levy that everyone else supported as well. The people who opposed levies in the past stayed home for the most part because pass or not their taxes were going down. The only motivated voters were the union and levy supporters.

IN regards to statistics, would you please elucidate on that statement and tell us which ones you disagree with and why?

Other than those are lies or wrong, why does no one ever bothers to explain how?
Standing Boro Strong

Springfield, OH

#28868 Nov 6, 2013
Vote Today wrote:
The election is over and these guys won but someone please tell me what specifically they will do.
Malone - super nice guy. However his history shows he is not much of an innovator or a person that can initiate improvements. Lolli pointed this out in reviews and audits point it out as well yet he was elected.
Stucky - Could not get his peers to promote him to Junior High coach. Not many if any students speak positively about him. Yet he was elected.
Anderson - Honestly I know nothing about him.
Someone please tell me in specifics what these men will do other than turn a blind eye to everything and give union back control.
I understand the controversies of the previous board but they made some great progress. The water was muddied with some of the side show stuff but in the end fiscal responsibility was restored.
I want our BOE an community to succeed and move forward but I don't see these guys doing much to help. I hope Mr. Petrey is good enough to point the way.
"Where the board's at right now is wanting the highest academic achievement and fiscal responsibility," Mr. Petrey said (in a DDN news article) "that's what I stand for!"

Children First Budgeting Works! Stand Strong!

Wars are won by taking away from the other side the will t continue fighting. This is what the OEA does to people; as one
OEA member once said, "Don't they realize this is war?"

Our school district leaders and current board representatives
have the winning agenda; but are lacking in developing a winning strategy in the battle of the union forces against us!

Stand Strong for Students First/Fiscal Responsibility!

"Pick battles big enough to mattr, small enoug to win."
-Jonathan Kozol
Waste Watchers

Springfield, OH

#28869 Nov 6, 2013
board members, NOR the Malone/Stuckey newly elected board members who are the only TWO retired educators.

You Betcha Mr. Anderson will be held ACCOUNTABLE TO PUT OUR STUDENTS FIRST, by the community taxpayers, to BACK the support of our Students First/Fiscal Responsibility reform minded vision for our CHILDREN'S 21st Century Quality Classroom Education, while living within our Children's First Budgeting agenda.

and btw-- Community taxpayers will be watching for SIGNS of wasteful spending with our hard earned school tax dollars;
poundsand

Dayton, OH

#28871 Nov 6, 2013
No debate means No choice wrote:
<quoted text>
Watch and you will see. If the community wanted to see what B/V would have done, maybe they would have won the election. They stated their principals. If you missed them on their website then you must be blind. They even spoke to them at the debate. Can't say I heard anything from B/V at the debate. Oh right, they didn't show. No debate means No choice.
Give me a break. Those 'principals' are what anybody with half a brain would propose. They are also the only thing on their website that states their position.

You might as well vote for a candidate that's a community organizer.

As far as the "debate" goes, that was not a debate but a pep rally for the MSA fans.
Doug Wiedeman

Cleveland, OH

#28872 Nov 6, 2013
Just Swinging By wrote:
<quoted text>
Mr. Weideman had requested permission from Bitner/Vaughn campaign to Add Mr. Anderson's name to the campaign flyer that was delived to the homes of voters on Saturday
That would be an incorrect statement in its entirety.

I supported Mr. Anderson way before last Friday as my posts within this website will attest.

I also provided my rationale for his support and still remain committed to that support for those reasons.

I do not require permission to make up my own mind nor to express my own opinion.
Reality Bytes

Springfield, OH

#28873 Nov 6, 2013
<quoted text>
Umm, check the results. B/V ran on the "Children's First Budgeting agenda", THEY LOST. Also in other races where our BOE President backed candidates ("Children's First Budgeting agenda") they lost as well (Olentangy, etc.).
And don't forget that community taxpayers voted M/S/A 2 to 1 over B/V. That "silent majority" we've been hearing about never showed at the polls.
Don't be Silly!

Those who showed up at the polls to vote for "Substance over
Symbolism" are the real Winners; even though we didn't
pre-arrange our performance at the polls and call in the
TV cameras!

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." Margaret Mead

Dayton, OH

#28874 Nov 6, 2013
Reality Bytes wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't be Silly!
Those who showed up at the polls to vote for "Substance over
Symbolism" are the real Winners; even though we didn't
pre-arrange our performance at the polls and call in the
TV cameras!
"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has." Margaret Mead
The winners are the ones with the most votes, last I checked this was an election.

How is it to be a legend in your own mind? First there is a silent majority, now you're talking small groups.
Doug Wiedeman

Cleveland, OH

#28875 Nov 6, 2013
Glass Houses wrote:
<quoted text>
Threatening? I don't see any threats. Care to share your experience?
Not coming together? Perhaps they don't take kindly to the unity shown by MSA supporters. Here are a few of the words used to describe B/V supporters and the candidates themselves...as seen n the Active Springboro Community page and here on Topix....REPEATEDLY AND REGULARLY.
, fat ass bloviator,.
Well I guess I can't argue with that one too much.
Glass Houses

Atlanta, GA

#28876 Nov 6, 2013
Doug Wiedeman wrote:
<quoted text>
Well I guess I can't argue with that one too much.
LMBO. <wink wink>
Waste Watchers

Springfield, OH

#28877 Nov 6, 2013

Every entity in education works like a well oiled machine to scam you out of YOUR money to further the agenda of the Professional Educators protesting for respect while rallying their emotional cry "Celebrate US -- we are WONDERFUL and all the while our students fail." In Springboro 1/3rd of our students fail the State standardized tests!

So why all the awards at our buildings? Easy, as districts start to fail levies they all of a sudden get AWARDS! The education machine works over all taxpayers and give the amo to the districts.

IF you call the Blue Ribbon award center and ask why Springboro got this distringuished award they can tell you, because they applied. When asking them if our AP courses were calculated in, they will tell you possibly--not ever knowing Springboro numbers were poor. If you ask them if it was our PSEO participation they will tell yu probably, not knowing that ours in Springboro schools were poor again.

Mr. Malone can run for school board election; and he can come in second to the first place winner in
popularity, Mr. Anderson, but Mr. Malone cannot hide in the boardroom from his 13 years of
"symbolism over substance" failed practices as a professional educator putting our Students highest academic best interests first.
Not A Chance

Springfield, OH

#28878 Nov 6, 2013
<quoted text>
The winners are the ones with the most votes, last I checked this was an election.
How is it to be a legend in your own mind? First there is a silent majority, now you're talking small groups.
A lot better to be a legend in my own mind than to be out of my mind as "an insanely popular has been a principal who will win the most votes because of name recognition." Even so, Ron Malone still wasn't popular enough to come in first place.

Everything that's the right thing to do is not popular; everything that's popular is not the right thing to do.

Elections come and go; but doing the right thing based on one's own belief ensures that you will always be a winner (even if you do end up living among a majority of losers.)
Inquiring Minds

Springfield, OH

#28879 Nov 6, 2013
Doug Wiedeman wrote:
<quoted text>
That would be an incorrect statement in its entirety.
I supported Mr. Anderson way before last Friday as my posts within this website will attest.
I also provided my rationale for his support and still remain committed to that support for those reasons.
I do not require permission to make up my own mind nor to express my own opinion.
Of course you do not require permission to make up your own mind nor to bloviate your own opinion on this topix page just like every body else; but your opinion of self-importance that EVERYBODY needs to know YOUR opinion, does legally require that your signs of public opinion includes "paid for by private citizen...blah blah..."
Your voice is heard; your opinions falsely accusing Kelly Kohls on this topix are heard; your degrading insults to anyone who dares to differ with your opinions are heard; just wondering why you think that your opinion is of such self-importance that you need to pay thousands of dollars to get others to consider your opinions?
Inquiring Minds

Springfield, OH

#28880 Nov 6, 2013
"Where the board's at right now is wanting the highest academic achievement and fiscal responsibility," Mr. Petrey said (in a DDN news article) "that's what I stand for!"

Children First Budgeting Works! Stand Strong!

Wars are won by taking away from the other side the will t continue fighting. This is what the OEA does to people; as one
OEA member once said, "Don't they realize this is war?"

Our school district leaders and current board representatives
have the winning agenda; but are lacking in developing a winning strategy in the battle of the union forces against us!

Stand Strong for Students First/Fiscal Responsibility!

"Pick battles big enough to matter, small enough to win."
-Jonathan Kozol

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wedding Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Almost one year since gay marriage ruling, LGBT... 1 min Rose_NoHo 194
News Pastors Rarely Asked to Wed Same-Sex Couples 4 hr WasteWater 49
News Irish gay marriage referendum campaigner warns ... 9 hr Fa-Foxy 8
News How Donald Trump is slowly teaching Republicans... 15 hr Go Blue Forever 39
News Michael Kirby warns against 'dangerous' politic... Mon Larry Craig s WC ... 26
News Why Does the Church Wink at Divorce but Get So ... Sun Theocraencyclical 9
News Gay South Carolina police chief makes historic ... Sun Theocraencyclical 5
More from around the web