Our recommendation: Springboro voters should say 'yes' the first time to school levies

Feb 5, 2008 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Dayton Daily News

Recommended local sites More... UD sports info, pictures and discussions Are you a UD sports fan? Whether you like basketball, volleyball, soccer, men's or women's teams -- Doesn't matter -- this site is for ... via Dayton Daily News

Comments (Page 1,261)

Showing posts 25,201 - 25,220 of31,098
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
glue factory

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 11, 2013

Judged:

Just Remember wrote:
<quoted text>
Give It Up Retired Teacher! For S-U-R-E your lecture on "better things" would be your mean-spirited, indecent, non-professional bully-campaign against Springboro parent Kelly Kohls!
Elections come and go, but good neighbors who are good leaders like Kelly Kohls, are always winners!
Let's Bring it on in November for your "reinstate Ron Malone" as bully-in-chief in the school board room! Just Remember who will be on the "other side" interrogating, "which one of you is lying?"...the old outdated retired has been a high school principal OR the old outdated retired has been a teacher?" What progress is that for all you "tunnel vision" progressive leaders of our children's future?
Ron Malone on the school board? Wasn't it tough enough trying to keep Miller awake?
SEA hypocrites

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 11, 2013

Judged:

Like it or not wrote:
<quoted text>

And lastly, if there is room in the budget for a strike team like Huffmasters (cost to exceed $1 million probably in 1-2 weeks) then there is money for the teachers - very simple!
Here's a better idea. Rather than continuing to justify SEA greed, our BOE and district could use that money "for our kids'" education purposes.
Hey, that reminds me! Just a few years ago wasn't ..."For Our Kids"... NFSS's levy slogan?
The more things seem to change, the more they stay the same!
Take It or Leave It

Piqua, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 11, 2013

Judged:

Like it or not wrote:
<quoted text>
You are ridiculous, because teachers love to teach they should not expect any compensation for it or shouldn't want to earn more money? Do you work at a job just for the love of the job and don't care about your compensation?
Every taxpayer on this site is just as greedy because they want to keep their money and not pay additional money for a service that is being provided by the district - education. When the gas prices raise, you don't like it but you pay more, when the cost of food raises, you don't like it but you pay more, but for some reason you think that because a teacher is a public servant, they don't have bills just like you, they don't have a family to feed just like you. Teachers are performing a job and they get paid for that job. Like it or not, they also deserve to get a raise once in a while - JUST LIKE YOU!
If you are going to blame someone for this current situation then you should look to the BOE. They had the opportunity to include something for the teachers within their budget but chose not to. Now they are blaming the teachers for wanting more money when anyone looking at the finances of this district could see that after five years the teachers were going to eventually look elsewhere for employment or request more money here.
And lastly, if there is room in the budget for a strike team like Huffmasters (cost to exceed $1 million probably in 1-2 weeks) then there is money for the teachers - very simple!
There is no shame, no blame, on the five members of our
Springboro Schools Board of Education.
There is lots of appreciation, gratitude, respect and support for the good leadership of our board members heard throughout our Springboro neighboods! Everybody is talking that what we want in November is what we already have found successful -- And that is the Fabulous Five that we have working diligently for us right now -Kelly Kohls, Wendy Kuhl, Don Miller, David Petroni, Jim Rigano. Our board president is simply doing her job, as elected by the people, one voice-one vote in the free election of November 2009, with the same expertise and due diligence as our SEA president is doing his.

It is just ridiculous and extremely non-professional behavior of the SEA union activists to model such poor citizenship and disrespect with this hostile word of words against the BOE, with false accusations to personally attack, distort and discredit every leadership proposal made in the board room. And it has been relentless.... just because the SEA/union activists have never witnessed BOE members "get to work doing what's right for our school children and community of very generous taxpayers!"

But, there you go again, with your tired old status quo "name-calling and bullying tactics"...still trying to indoctrinate me, a responsible spender who knows HOW to think, based on facts of Children First budgeting; pushing, shoving your agenda, trying to teach me HOW to think YOUR tax and spend way of forced unionization! Not a chance!

Here's the deal for taking! A great employement contract offer of job security, safe and comfortable working conditions in facilities located in beautiful neighborhoods, great pay and compensation/benfits packages, great kids to spend your work day enjoying, supportive parents (many of whom testify publicly how educated and wealthy they are and how they are going to take back their BOE from parents who the SEA say are less thought of as being educated and wealthy)... lol!
What say ye, SEA, you have the deciding vote -- Is it "take it" or "leave it?"
nobody works for free

Lebanon, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 11, 2013

Judged:

Like it or not wrote:
<quoted text>
You are ridiculous, because teachers love to teach they should not expect any compensation for it or shouldn't want to earn more money? Do you work at a job just for the love of the job and don't care about your compensation?
Every taxpayer on this site is just as greedy because they want to keep their money and not pay additional money for a service that is being provided by the district - education. When the gas prices raise, you don't like it but you pay more, when the cost of food raises, you don't like it but you pay more, but for some reason you think that because a teacher is a public servant, they don't have bills just like you, they don't have a family to feed just like you. Teachers are performing a job and they get paid for that job. Like it or not, they also deserve to get a raise once in a while - JUST LIKE YOU!
If you are going to blame someone for this current situation then you should look to the BOE. They had the opportunity to include something for the teachers within their budget but chose not to. Now they are blaming the teachers for wanting more money when anyone looking at the finances of this district could see that after five years the teachers were going to eventually look elsewhere for employment or request more money here.
Nobody said you should work for free, but to cry the blues that you are underpaid is a comical farce,
How many people would like to be earning between $29 and $65/hour? Underpaid, I don't think. so. And if you are on strike you are not getting paid, the money goes to Huffmaster. I think our weekly payroll is about $600,000 with benefits and retirement pay so we will probably break even.

I
Sheep

Lebanon, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 11, 2013

Judged:

newbie wrote:
A friend of mine told me about this website. I have to say it is great entertainment. I have to admit, I actually voted for Kelly because I agreed with some of her issues. I am retired and all of my children are out of the house. I have to say I am worried about the direction this school board is taking our community. I have friends in other states who have seen the embarrassment this town is taking due to the antics of this school board. I am no longer proud to say I live in Springboro Ohio. I can tell you I WILL NOT be voting for Kelly. We need to get honest trust worthy people on this board who will bring back the community I moved to 22 years ago. I am a SENSIBlE person in the Boro who can honestly say being retired, I have better things to do than fight and call people names on this site. When people have to resort to these actions, it only shows how worried and insecure you are in your position. Maybe your bosses should start monitoring the amount of time you spend on this site instead of doing your job. Residents of the BORO will be heard through the ballots in November and we WILL have change to our school board. And then our new school board will restore the Springboro community name.
To union owned and operated.. The rest of us will also have a new name. BROKE
same as the old boss

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 11, 2013

Judged:

Sheep wrote:
<quoted text>
To union owned and operated.. The rest of us will also have a new name. BROKE
Yes! We will be BROKE from repeat levys being shoved down our throats due to uncontrolled spending practices of tax-and-spend liberal slacker administrators!!
Does this sound familiar? If you've been here for a while, it should! Because, ladies and gentlemen, Springboro School District is headed backward by the speed of light to re-kindle the infamous DR. DAVID BAKER era !!
outsider

Dayton, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 11, 2013

survival of the fittest wrote:
<quoted text>
Answer me this....Why shouldn't OAA/OGT test scores be set on a A-B-C-D-F scale?
While I believe I already explained this...

If you set the top for the expected, the exceptional will not be able to shine as many hit the wall that is the top end of the score set.
Just Watching

Springfield, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 11, 2013

outsider wrote:
<quoted text>
If you set the top for the expected, the exceptional will not be able to shine as many hit the wall that is the top end of the score set.
What does that mean?
Doug Wiedeman

Springfield, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 11, 2013

Judged:

The SEAs kool aid roster wrote:
Dear Board of Education Members,
I am asking, as a taxpayer, parent and community member, for your to offer a fair contract with our dedicated teachers and settle immediately. I am aware of a contract that you are about to enter into with Huffmaster, which tells me you have not been negotiating with open minds or in good faith. Our teachers are just like all of us and deserve fair pay and a fair contract, after several years of going without an increase. Their dedication to our children's success and the success of our community should be reflected in the way our school board treats them.
Once again, I am asking that you settle with our teachers and lead our community and show the same respect for our teachers, that you request from all of us.
Sincerely,
Lynn Greenberg
Lynn,
Would you please share with us what you believe to be a "fair" contract? As a mother of twins you must surely be called upon each day to determine what is fair for your children. Would it be too much to ask that you share your strategies with the reading public? Perhaps that would aid our school board in determining what the word "fair" means.

Thank you,

Doug Wiedeman
330 Wellington Way
Springboro, OH 45066
outsider

Dayton, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 11, 2013

Judged:

Just Watching wrote:
<quoted text>
What does that mean?
I lack the cognitive skills to dumb it down any further for you. Sorry.
Phil

Canton, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 11, 2013

outsider wrote:
<quoted text>
Just Watching wrote:
<quoted text>
What does that mean?
It means exactly what it says. I'll use your terms instead.

If, say, a 85% is considered passing for you, then how do you differentiate the top of the class if dozens of kids are getting 95% or better? Have you seen some high schools' valedictorian list? Some schools have 15 kids all with 4.0 GPAs. Kind of diminishes the accomplishment of a 4.0. How to fix it? If it's the standardized test, make it harder so it's near impossible to get a 100%.

And when are standardized test ultimate decider in a student's fate? I know plenty of people who got less than impressive ACT and SAT scores who went on to very successful careers. Heck! One of my former employers used to be and Engineer and would instruct and manage newly graduated engineering students from top engineering schools while only having a high school diploma himself! There's more to life and success than standardized test.
Doug Wiedeman

Springfield, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 11, 2013

Judged:

Phil wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
It means exactly what it says. I'll use your terms instead.
If, say, a 85% is considered passing for you, then how do you differentiate the top of the class if dozens of kids are getting 95% or better? Have you seen some high schools' valedictorian list? Some schools have 15 kids all with 4.0 GPAs. Kind of diminishes the accomplishment of a 4.0. How to fix it? If it's the standardized test, make it harder so it's near impossible to get a 100%.
And when are standardized test ultimate decider in a student's fate? I know plenty of people who got less than impressive ACT and SAT scores who went on to very successful careers. Heck! One of my former employers used to be and Engineer and would instruct and manage newly graduated engineering students from top engineering schools while only having a high school diploma himself! There's more to life and success than standardized test.
You are quite correct that there is more to life than a standardized test, on that I concur.

However, these tests are not to determine the fate of the children as much as test the efficacy of our scholastic program. Are we or are we not teaching the children the basics in regards to education?
The fact that 80% of the children in our Junior High are unable to score better than a D or an F on a basic state math achievement test is cause for great concern.

I am for each child scoring 100%, that would mean that each child mastered these basic concepts. While that is in all likelihood impossible, I do believe that we should at a very minimum have our numbers reversed with 80% of our Junior High students passing a basic state math assessment test rather than failing.

Some will counter they have to teach the test if that were the case, I disagree. If we teach the material in the books we employ as resources, then the children will have a strong enough basis of knowledge to master the test. The hardest tests I ever took were the ones I was least prepared to take. The easiest, conversely, were the ones where I had the material down cold. If the children learn the material, the tests will be a breeze and take care of themselves.

If you need to review what is on these tests, the state provides sample and practice tests for each grade level. Please peruse them at your convenience and then let us know you think of them. You will find the practice and sample test, along with the answers, at:

http://education.ohio.gov/Topics/Testing/Test...

Good Luck
Doug Wiedeman

Springfield, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 11, 2013

Judged:

I must have missed the uproar when Mr. Harves pulled in a whopping 90 days on a work release program for absconding with $439,000 in checks he wrote to himself over the past seven years. That means he sleeps at the jail in the evening and on weekends when he is not working. Who says crime doesn't pay?

The state could only prove the past seven years because that is as long as banks are required to hold onto records. We just have to assume that the previous 15 years Mr. Harves was in charge of the checkbook no malfeasance occurred. A stretch of the imagination which I doubt few could attain.

It would seem that no past or present booster board member ever received, nor reconciled, bank statements with activities over the preceding 22 years. An omission our children, parents, donors, and taxpayers must now surely rue.

The state also could not prove that he was guilty of taking any of the uncounted wads of cash that passed through his fingers. This for the simple reason that controls were so lax no one bothered to count the money in the first place to know how much was to be deposited each time. We can only assume that a man of such uncommon character would not deign to dirty his fingers with bags full of cash sitting on the kitchen table for the weekend when he could simply write himself a a nice clean check.

Of course had the booster board at one time or another in the last 22 years bothered to institute cash controls that even a minimum wage Speedway clerk could master, this would have been uncovered a million or so dollars earlier. As it is now, that money is lost forever, along with the sweat, toil and tears it took to raise the funds.

You would have thought that the Athletic Director would have noticed the disparity in receipts from the activity at the games and the historical data he so assiduously coveted. The Athletic Director had the discrepancies brought to his attention, but attempted to waive them off as mere anomalies.

And where was the Principal who was over the Athletic Director. He was a man who diligently attended every event and spoke with everyone he came in contact with on a daily basis. How did it slip his notice over a 12 year period that the till seemed a little light? Given the Principal's standing in the educational arena and the community at large, why did he not bring that authority and influence to bear on the situation for the good of the children?

If regular community members could sniff this out in five minutes, why did our esteemed Principal and Athletic Director not do the same? After all, they had a much clearer view of proceedings from the inside than a regular citizen could ever hope to imagine.

Did Tom Harves act on his own accord?

Most likely would be my guess.

Were others in the program in a position of influence and necessary authority to protect the donations of time, effort, monies, and goods that our community members so selflessly offered?

Categorically, yes.

Why was it more important in the eyes of those with the influence and authority to maintain the status quo rather than to do what was right?
Stand Up For Kids

Piqua, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 12, 2013

Judged:

Springboro - We have found that one common sense citizen needed to join our elected reform minded board representatives, doing what's right for our schools and commnity!

Mr. Wiedeman, will you please consider serving your community as a candidate running for November 2013 election, as our next school board representative?

Stand Up For Kids

Piqua, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 12, 2013

Judged:

Doug Wiedeman wrote:
<quoted text>
You are quite correct that there is more to life than a standardized test, on that I concur.
However, these tests are not to determine the fate of the children as much as test the efficacy of our scholastic program. Are we or are we not teaching the children the basics in regards to education?
The fact that 80% of the children in our Junior High are unable to score better than a D or an F on a basic state math achievement test is cause for great concern.
I am for each child scoring 100%, that would mean that each child mastered these basic concepts. While that is in all likelihood impossible, I do believe that we should at a very minimum have our numbers reversed with 80% of our Junior High students passing a basic state math assessment test rather than failing.
Some will counter they have to teach the test if that were the case, I disagree. If we teach the material in the books we employ as resources, then the children will have a strong enough basis of knowledge to master the test. The hardest tests I ever took were the ones I was least prepared to take. The easiest, conversely, were the ones where I had the material down cold. If the children learn the material, the tests will be a breeze and take care of themselves.
If you need to review what is on these tests, the state provides sample and practice tests for each grade level. Please peruse them at your convenience and then let us know you think of them. You will find the practice and sample test, along with the answers, at:
http://education.ohio.gov/Topics/Testing/Test...
Good Luck
Springboro - We have found that one common sense citizen needed to join our elected reform minded board representatives, doing what's right for our schools and community!

Mr. Wiedeman, will you please consider serving your community as a candidate running for November 2013 election, as our next school board representative?
Doug Wiedeman

Springfield, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 12, 2013

Judged:

No raises in five years, not really. What the union means to say is that the base pay has not increased in five years. What the union fails to mention is that the teachers have an entirely self direct vehicle to raise their pay, the educational attainement step system. This system rewards teachers with more money that invest in themselves. The program is entirely self directed and some teachers take advantage of it and some don't.

At random I just spun my mouse and did not include any staff positions or special ed teachers and left out the ones who worked here in 2008 but were gone by 2013.

Jason Bromberg making $46,833 in 2008 making $52,528 in 2013 an increase of 11%
Kevin Gutekunst making $41,131 in 2008 making $51,577 in 2013 an increase of 20.3%
Mary Reese making $55,474 in 2008 making $59,519 in 2013 an increase of 7.3%
Mary Silles making $58,930 in 2008 making $63,010 in 2013 an increase of 6.5%
Kristin Sharkey making $37,846 in 2008 making $47,912 in 2013 an increase of 21%

Are all of these huge? I guess it depends on where you are standing when you look at them.

In a period when other people were making less and in some cases if you worked for one of the GM plants or its local suppliers, substantially less, our teachers were employed and for the vast majority gaining each year. The average income in Springboro is $62,000 and that is up from $60,500 or so in 2008. These have not been great financial times for the private sector, the value of our assets have shrunk as is noted by our home valuations for tax purposes and real sales in the free market. Companies in the private sector maintain their employee expense based upon a percentage of net profits. This keeps them focused on whether or not the business can support this many people productively at this rate given their relative position within the market in which they compete.

The base median income in Springboro has risen about a point or two, our teaching staff that utilized the opportunities afforded them saw increases many times greater than the community at large.

You too can see the same thing if you look on the school website and view the staff salary scale for the same time period.

http://www.springboro.org/userfiles/6/Transpa...

http://www.springboro.org/userfiles/6/Transpa...
accountability

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 12, 2013

Judged:

Tell the Truth wrote:
It only amazes us that the Clearcreek Township Board of Trustees and the Fire Department, would have the BALLS to ask for more money!
If you ever want to know what the Clearcreek Firefighters do, besides sit on their LAZY BOY recliners, then you need to watch them slide down a flight of steps at Station 22 on East Lytle Five Points Road, while riding a backboard, an EMS device to immobilize patients.
The SPRINGBORO Mayor’s son, who (PLAYS) at the fire department, allowed this event, and others, to occur frequently. This was captured on video AND THEY POSTED IT ON YOU TUBE!
Watch the video and ask yourself “Why are the FD supervisors allowing this to happen? Have they all lost their moral compass?”
ALSO, they have a fire officer WHO SMOKES POT, CRACK, and other drugs. Yes, his name rhymes with ASS.
Go to You Tube and type in Firefighter Fun #1.
You would be SHOCKED on what the administrators, trustees and FD personnel do.
This coming Monday, I too am very much looking forward to being amused by the now world famous Pickett & Kidd Dog & Pony Show.

Clearcreek Township Bldg
Bunnell Hill Rd & 73
Monday July 15th @ 5:15 PM
Twp resident

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 12, 2013

Judged:

Stand Up For Kids wrote:
Springboro - We have found that one common sense citizen needed to join our elected reform minded board representatives, doing what's right for our schools and commnity!
I second that motion!
Lurker

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 12, 2013

Judged:

So did Sonny make you proud last night?
survival of the fittest

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 12, 2013

outsider wrote:
<quoted text>
Most certainly I understand a select, relatively small X% of the exceptional are always going to fly off the chart. So why not assign them individually a grade of A+ or A++??
Teachers increasingly are becoming resistant to assigning A-B-C-D-F grades to public school students because they're constantly being force-fed a bunch of liberal-socialism by union groups as well as the now completely jaded OSBA. The same liberal educators who constructed this OAA garbage are the same liberal educators who built the now out-of-control anti-bullying agenda that is working to further emasculate our young men.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 25,201 - 25,220 of31,098
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••