Our recommendation: Springboro voters...

Our recommendation: Springboro voters should say 'yes' the first time to school levies

There are 31938 comments on the Dayton Daily News story from Feb 5, 2008, titled Our recommendation: Springboro voters should say 'yes' the first time to school levies. In it, Dayton Daily News reports that:

Recommended local sites More... UD sports info, pictures and discussions Are you a UD sports fan? Whether you like basketball, volleyball, soccer, men's or women's teams -- Doesn't matter -- this site is for ... via Dayton Daily News

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Dayton Daily News.

Lurker

Englewood, OH

#25291 Jun 19, 2013
One of these days Just Watching will take a statistics class and understand percentiles!
Lurker

Englewood, OH

#25292 Jun 19, 2013
Please take the time to read the Court Documents! Looks like our Board was bullying people!
Boro Backer wrote:
<quoted text>
There was a link to the case in the DDN article about the revised lawsuit. I guess Lurker did know of which he/she spoke. I think he/she is owed an apology. And here is the link should you care to read it for yourself.
http://media.cmgdigital.com/shared/news/docum...
Just Watching

Cleveland, OH

#25293 Jun 19, 2013
Lurker wrote:
Please take the time to read the Court Documents! Looks like our Board was bullying people!
<quoted text>
Boro Backer wrote:
<quoted text>
There was a link to the case in the DDN article about the revised lawsuit. I guess Lurker did know of which he/she spoke. I think he/she is owed an apology. And here is the link should you care to read it for yourself.
http://media.cmgdigital.com/shared/news/docum...
One must remember that this is by no means a recounting of any factual evidence. All of this is presented by the plaintiff's attorney to put their case in the best possible light. It is not designed to be a fair and balanced appraisal of the situation, but rather a one sided, best foot forward proposition.

The conspirators seem to be Mr. Long, the weak kneed and responsibility abrogating Mr. Lolli, Ms. Warner, and Mr Renshaw who both countenanced this charade (if it did indeed occurred the way they presented)

How do professional educators with so called ethical standards behave this way?

If they were lying to Ms. Grigsby then, how do we trust their version today when they are in the crosshairs?

How are we to discern that Ms. Grigsby was the number one candidate in regards to teaching ability?

How are we to discern whether or not she was merely chummy enough to get the job because she was of the correct political persuasion rather than her teaching ability?

Are we to assume that our children are being shortchanged by having Mr. Martin or Ms Lamb in the classroom?

Why did Mr. Lolli not bother to consult with any of the other board members on this issue?

Mr. Lolli was certainly free to speak with any of them at any time why did he not?.

Mr. Lolli most certainly understood that it took but three yes votes to confirm his candidate, why did he not speak to the others for Ms. Grigsby if he felt as solidly as he did for her candidacy?

Mr. Long mentions in Mr. Lolli's affidavit that she was "offered" the job because Mr. Renshaw did not follow proper protocol. How is this Kelly Kohl's fault?

Mr. Long appears to be characterized in all of the correspondence as a mind reader who can tell you what everyone is thinking and attempting to be invaluable in his attempts to placate everyone.

Who ultimately sold Ms. Grigsby down the river?

All those invaluable employees who the district could not do without; Mr. Lolli, Mr Long, Ms Warner, Mr Renshaw.

And where is the good Mr. Malone in this?

Mr. Malone's name is conspicuously absent when everyone who worked above and below him seemed to have a hand in this woman's demise.

No where do I find anything that implicates Mr. Petroni or Mr. Rigano. What we find instead is the innuendo the union is famous for in the utilization of smearing people

The suit also fails to demonstrate whereby the board ever voted upon Ms Grigsby or that her name was ever even brought up for a vote.

Could this be a union driven smoke screen, red herring, bogus issue driven by the OEA in an atavistic attempt to thwart the will of the people in this community using the court system and an all too compliant newspaper?
Just Watching

Cleveland, OH

#25294 Jun 19, 2013
Lurker wrote:
One of these days Just Watching will take a statistics class and understand percentiles!
These are not percentiles, but rather the number of questions answered correctly on a basic test our system of education has produced after ten years.

OGT Results 2013, this is the bar the teachers and the union supporters were cheering about when Mr. Malone proudly declared he had 93% of his building stepping over these bars to become state defined PROFICIENT in all subjects.

I can see now why they were cheering Mr. Malone so loudly, this is indeed an impressive accomplishment.

Not everyone can recast abject FAILURE as success, in that Mr. Malone is quite special.

Subject..........Number Correct ........% correct..........scaled score

Reading

PROFICIENT.......... 19.5 – 30.0 ..........41%-63%......... 400 – 428

Mathematics

PROFICIENT.......... 19.0 – 28.0 ..........41%-61%.........400 – 424

Writing

PROFICIENT ..........25.5 – 33.5 ..........53%-70%.........400 – 429

Science

PROFICIENT ..........22.0 – 29.0 ..........46%-60%.........400 – 424

Social Studies

PROFICIENT ..........21.5 – 31.5..........45%-67%......... 400 – 428

In case you did not see them the first time.
Question

Cincinnati, OH

#25295 Jun 19, 2013
Could this be a union driven smoke screen, red herring, bogus issue driven by the OEA in an atavistic attempt to thwart the will of the people in this community using the court system and an all too compliant newspaper?

Answer: You betcha!
The OEA members are some of the worst people we will ever have to deal with as to radical social behavior; because to the OEA radicals they are at war with the taxpayers.
They have the destruction of America in their minds and they are terrible people because their ideology makes them corrosive. They openly use children to execute their maniacal plans for social progressive changes at the expense of society, and this defines their essence. Wars are won by taking away from the other side the will to continue fighting. The OEA attacks them directly hoping to rob them of their will to stand opposed to the union’s progressive agenda.

Is there really any doubt in the minds of Springboro Taxpayers that these OEA attacks on our Springboro BOE President has any agenda, other than trying to rob our children's classroom of our school tax dollars?
sheep

Springboro, OH

#25296 Jun 19, 2013
Just Watching wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
One must remember that this is by no means a recounting of any factual evidence. All of this is presented by the plaintiff's attorney to put their case in the best possible light. It is not designed to be a fair and balanced appraisal of the situation, but rather a one sided, best foot forward proposition.
The conspirators seem to be Mr. Long, the weak kneed and responsibility abrogating Mr. Lolli, Ms. Warner, and Mr Renshaw who both countenanced this charade (if it did indeed occurred the way they presented)
How do professional educators with so called ethical standards behave this way?
If they were lying to Ms. Grigsby then, how do we trust their version today when they are in the crosshairs?
How are we to discern that Ms. Grigsby was the number one candidate in regards to teaching ability?
How are we to discern whether or not she was merely chummy enough to get the job because she was of the correct political persuasion rather than her teaching ability?
Are we to assume that our children are being shortchanged by having Mr. Martin or Ms Lamb in the classroom?
Why did Mr. Lolli not bother to consult with any of the other board members on this issue?
Mr. Lolli was certainly free to speak with any of them at any time why did he not?.
Mr. Lolli most certainly understood that it took but three yes votes to confirm his candidate, why did he not speak to the others for Ms. Grigsby if he felt as solidly as he did for her candidacy?
Mr. Long mentions in Mr. Lolli's affidavit that she was "offered" the job because Mr. Renshaw did not follow proper protocol. How is this Kelly Kohl's fault?
Mr. Long appears to be characterized in all of the correspondence as a mind reader who can tell you what everyone is thinking and attempting to be invaluable in his attempts to placate everyone.
Who ultimately sold Ms. Grigsby down the river?
All those invaluable employees who the district could not do without; Mr. Lolli, Mr Long, Ms Warner, Mr Renshaw.
And where is the good Mr. Malone in this?
Mr. Malone's name is conspicuously absent when everyone who worked above and below him seemed to have a hand in this woman's demise.
No where do I find anything that implicates Mr. Petroni or Mr. Rigano. What we find instead is the innuendo the union is famous for in the utilization of smearing people
The suit also fails to demonstrate whereby the board ever voted upon Ms Grigsby or that her name was ever even brought up for a vote.
Deflecting and demeaning again! Hypocrite.
sheep

Springboro, OH

#25297 Jun 19, 2013
Just Watching wrote:
<quoted text>
You are still incorrect, "probably" is not a defining characteristic of anything.
You are correct, however, in the assumption that I wish to see our school district perform at the level at which is to be expected given the available resources we enjoy; quality of students, quality of parents, quality of teachers, and community support, we should be knocking the cover off of the ball in regards to actual academic achievement.
Sadly we hide behind the state endorsed euphemisms of acceptable accomplishment.
PROFICIENT equates to FAILURE
Accepting such condemns our children to a less than bright future.
So, by your consistent deflections and silence in stating that you were, or were not a part of these meetings held out of the sunshine, that in fact, they did happen and BOE members were, in fact, a part of those meetings. Where is the transparency in that?
BOE weve got your backs

Cleveland, OH

#25298 Jun 19, 2013
Boro Happy Taxpayers wrote:
<quoted text>
In appreciation of all school staff, teachers, school board representatives and our good and generous tax-paying neighbors throughout Springboro, for all your continued good work for our schools and community best interests.
Life IS Good! Let's Celebrate Our Success!
The next bumper stickers you will be seeing around town:

I SUPPORT CHILDREN FIRST!/ SPRINGBORO OH SCHOOLS
questions

Lebanon, OH

#25299 Jun 19, 2013
sheep wrote:
<quoted text>
Deflecting and demeaning again! Hypocrite.
Which question is not a valid one to be raised?
huh

Lebanon, OH

#25300 Jun 19, 2013
sheep wrote:
<quoted text>
So, by your consistent deflections and silence in stating that you were, or were not a part of these meetings held out of the sunshine, that in fact, they did happen and BOE members were, in fact, a part of those meetings. Where is the transparency in that?
Is this guy a member of the school board? Who is he talking about?
sheep

Springboro, OH

#25301 Jun 19, 2013
huh wrote:
<quoted text>
Is this guy a member of the school board? Who is he talking about?
No, but he might as well be one the way he was attending these "basement" meetings with two of the BOE members.

Just trying to point out the irony of this person claiming everything should be transparent, when he was a part of meetings (including members of the BOE) that clearly were not transparent.
The Scoffer

Cincinnati, OH

#25302 Jun 19, 2013
sheep wrote:
<quoted text>
No, but he might as well be one the way he was attending these "basement" meetings with two of the BOE members.
Just trying to point out the irony of this person claiming everything should be transparent, when he was a part of meetings (including members of the BOE) that clearly were not transparent.
So, where is the transparency in your silly insinuations?

First, you have to establish YOUR identify, so that readers can verify YOUR credibility; just pointing out the irony of claiming to be sheep when everyone knows that sheep cannot type false accusations on this blog against board members.
So, are you a fellow board member who sets out to stalk, spy and squell on board members holding secret meetings outside the board room? Are you a hired private detective? Are you an OEA public relations official? Or, perhaps you bully neighbor who just loves to call attention to "self-interest" importance?
hmmm... haven't checked "The secret spy book of rules for required behavior for board members activity in their homes"
....but clearly, in the name of transparency, we should get the school officer in on this; after all, if the school officer is "policing" our students outside school activites, then why should the school officer not be "policing" these Springboro parents activity outside the official board room meetings?
It is time to go

Cleveland, OH

#25303 Jun 19, 2013
After reading the article in the Sun, I think it is time for Kelly to step down. Do we want someone like her representing our children? Is she really in it for the best interest of the children? It is time to do the admirable thing and step down.
Got Respect

Cincinnati, OH

#25304 Jun 19, 2013
sheep wrote:
<quoted text>
..... attending these "basement" meetings...???

Now, sheep, aren't you the same person who "tattled" on this discussion blog recently that the board members were caught by your cleverness holding "church services" in their basements at home? For S-U-R-E you are!

Now, you are on this blog claiming that these meetings going on in basement homes are "secret board meetings?" How ironic is that?

Most likely, sheep, YOU are among the "flock" protesting in front of TV-news cameras in the school district offices parking lot
showing off your teachers victim project, in yet another episode of "community drama down home in the boro."
Uno Voter

Cincinnati, OH

#25305 Jun 19, 2013
It is time to go wrote:
After reading the article in the Sun, I think it is time for Kelly to step down. Do we want someone like her representing our children? Is she really in it for the best interest of the children? It is time to do the admirable thing and step down.
Excuse me, with all due respect to your "opinion" I disagree that the time has come for the OEA to bully Springboro BOE member, Kelly Kohls, out of her elected position. I like Kelly Kohls and support the direction in which her leadership is taking our children's future!
Mrs. Kohls was elected overwhelmingly by a majority vote in November 2009. Since then, she has been falsely accused, stalked, bullied and ridiculed by just a bully few of those who oppose her new philosophy of: committment to ensuring that the children of the Springboro community receive an excellent education, while keeping the costs of that education affordable, by carefully adhering to responisble spending.
It is time for Mrs. Kohls to continue standing strong and "hang in there with Springboro taxpayers" four more years!
It is time to say Thanks, Kelly! for making Springboro schools a way better place to work, learn, and play sports!
huh

Lebanon, OH

#25306 Jun 19, 2013
sheep wrote:
<quoted text>
If he is not on the board, who is he and what do you care who he talks to?
Budget First BOE

Dayton, OH

#25307 Jun 19, 2013
BOE weve got your backs wrote:
<quoted text>
The next bumper stickers you will be seeing around town:
I SUPPORT CHILDREN FIRST!/ SPRINGBORO OH SCHOOLS
I know you don't care about the teachers but maybe you should consider who is going to teach those children you so often say you are putting first. Not to mention what are they going to teach the kids.

13% of the teaching staff has left the district within the last 12-18 months! Doesn't include those that are looking and may very well get new jobs over the summer.
67% of the principals have left or moved to different positions.
Assistant principals yet to be hired.
A massive turnover of central office staff in the last 2 years.
Administrative staff being hired with no prior experience.
Confusion over Common Core - to teach or not to teach.
Teachers not allowed in their classroom or access to laptops/books to start preparing lessons over the summer.
Stalled or failing negotiations.

As a parent, I don't see where my child's education is a top priority with this board. I see everything they are doing to reduce cost without regard for my child's future.
My Daughters Shepard

Lebanon, OH

#25308 Jun 19, 2013
Anybody else notice how sheep doesn't like to talk about the job the school system is doing educating our kids with the money we give them? Sheep likes to talk about anything but what is important here. From reading this blog I have learned not to trust the words teachers use to describe how well my children are doing. When I looked at my children's grades on the progress book I found that over half their scores were based on whether or not they turned in their homework. Turning in your homework does not mean you learned anything. My daughter always had 90 and above scores in all her classes, so I was always surprised when she took the assessment tests and scored in the 2nd tier. Her teachers told me how bright she was and that she just did not take tests well. Reading this blog opened me up to other resources I was not aware of and when I found them I began to see what the problem was with my daughter. It was not that she didn't take test well, it was she did not know the material. I began a conscious effort to work with her on the subjects she seemed to have the most trouble in while taking the assessment tests. Relearning algebra was not as easy as I remembered, but we managed to pull her knowledge base upwards together. Talking with her and her friends about school I found myself constantly surprised by what passes for teaching. Given an opportunity to speak our children will reveal quite a bit about the goings on in our schools. Some of the opinions they espoused about our school board were way off base. I do not ever recall speaking of a school board when I went to school, let alone giving them a second thought in the 8th grade. Why would my daughter care about her teacher's financial affairs, and why would a teacher be talking to my daughter about them? Listening to the drivel that comes out of my child's mouth at the dinner table makes me want to boil over. My husband and I never speak about these issues, and I don't see it anywhere in the Dayton Daily News, so who is filling my daughter's head with this stuff? I can think of only one source and it does not make me happy. Trying to use my child as your personal advocate really stinks. My daughter has been taught to respect and look up to her teachers, to have them take advantage of that trust and respect is revolting. I can see where Mr Petroni would be concerned handing his children over to these people who seem to lack much character. The more I hear from my daughter and her friends the less i like what is going on in our schools. I know in my heart that not all teachers are like these few that interact with my daughter and her friends, but I don't hear anybody at the school telling anyone to stop this nonsense either.
Get Real

Cincinnati, OH

#25309 Jun 19, 2013
Budget First BOE wrote:
<quoted text>
I know you don't care about the teachers but maybe you should consider who is going to teach those children you so often say you are putting first. Not to mention what are they going to teach the kids.
13% of the teaching staff has left the district within the last 12-18 months! Doesn't include those that are looking and may very well get new jobs over the summer.
Teachers not allowed in their classroom or access to laptops/books to start preparing lessons over the summer.
As a parent, I don't see where my child's education is a top priority with this board. I see everything they are doing to reduce cost without regard for my child's future.
It is clearly seen by all (except those blinded by status quo
OEA indoctrination that MORE emphasis should be placed on over-paying our union employees) that every decision made by our BOE majority has priority of our children first.

Never before has so much been to make our schools safer and more comfortable; and at an affordable cost!
The past 5 year forecast did not include repairs needed to our buildings. Windows, heating and air systems and roofs and many more items creating a safe and comfortable environment for our kids. Now, we have budgeted $2.5 million for a capitol investment plan as recommended to us by an audit firm and our own administrative assessments. This capitol plan will be able to replace, roofs, windows, paint, flooring and other infrastructures as needed. Again, this was not done in previous forecasts.
We have a vastly aging fleet of buses that have not been getting replaced on a schedule so many no longer run and others that fail loaded with kids.
Now we have budgeted for transportation needs of our kids so we can safely transport them. We have purchased 11 new buses this year and will purchase 9 more over the next few years for a total of 20 new buses. We have allocated $2 million for our transportation needs. Again, this was not planned before this board.
Our school board president, Kelly Kohls, is leading our school district in the right direction, committed to ensuring that the chidren of the Springboro community receibve an excellent educatio while keeping the costs of that education affordable, by carefully adhering to responsible spending!
Thank You Mrs. Kohls, Mr. Rigano, Mr. Petroni, Mrs. Kull, and Mr. Miller for saying YES to our children first!
Staff took money

Lebanon, OH

#25310 Jun 19, 2013
Budget First BOE wrote:
<quoted text>
10% of your staff took early retirement before the pension plan changed to their detriment. In a normal year you have 6-7%, so we are actually below normal turnover.
From reading what those clowns in Central Office did to poor Tammy I say good riddance. Not any profiles in courage in that bunch.
We saw two choose retirement money over your children. One was promoted. And one because she chose her own children over yours and wanted to work closer to them.
The union told the teachers to clean out their rooms as a demo of solidarity and intent. Strictly a union choice and show. Who says you can't put in those endless hours "preparing" for next year by the pool?
Common Core or not, our kids are not getting the education we pay for now. Look at the data which backs up the pretty words, it isn't reassuring.
You sound like a myopic unionite whining for pity when your only savior is yourself not some union hack parasite sucking off your lifeblood.
Things are looking better all the time if you are a teacher, your income rose 11 times faster than the median income in this town since the recession hit four years ago.
Enjoy your summer the rest of us will be working.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wedding Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Transgender Ken doll cake triggers outrage afte... 58 min WasteWater 58
News Carroll Daybook 11 hr MaltaMerlin 3
News Hindu girl weds childhood Muslim friend in Paki... 21 hr Rosa 2
[Guide] Funny maid of honor speech (Sep '14) Mon mariam 176
News Rizzoli & Isles' introduction of Maura's husban... Sat Ex Fan 1
News Gay Republican Iowa Senate Hopeful: I'm Not the... Sat Skippy 4
News Greens against gay marriage plebiscite The Gree... Sat Rosa_Winkel 8
More from around the web