Our recommendation: Springboro voters should say 'yes' the first time to school levies

Feb 5, 2008 Full story: Dayton Daily News 31,766

Recommended local sites More... UD sports info, pictures and discussions Are you a UD sports fan? Whether you like basketball, volleyball, soccer, men's or women's teams -- Doesn't matter -- this site is for ... via Dayton Daily News

Full Story

“Civic Innovation Designer”

Since: Mar 11

Springboro, Ohio

#24647 May 14, 2013
Just Watching wrote:
Pray tell how it was anti-community to vote against bloat in the public employment ranks, against a government body taking substantially more than it needs, against the obfuscation of factual data, against back door maneuvers in unneeded hiring, against a campaign filled with half truths, threats and innuendo?
It is anti-community to consider the needs of the corporations, and the profits of private private donors, who financially support the Tea Party and their anti-union subsidiaries, before the needs of our children and taxpayers who wish to have a solid educational and emergency system in our community.
apparently

Springboro, OH

#24648 May 14, 2013
Just Watching wrote:
Ms. Stratton seems to be leaving to take a position near her children.
Good person, good principal, she replaced Mr. Madden when he went to central office. Evidently the world did not end.
Anyone want to stand in between this woman and her children?
Apparently?
She was an excellent principal and will be sorely missed. "Seems to be leaving..." Hmmm, there you go again, assuming and basing your comments on supposition. I tagged you as better than that.

Evidently you received the "cleaned up version" as to why she is leaving from your BOE buds who are apparently "just watching" the world go by. Yep, seems your sole reason listed was part of it, definately not all of it.

Nope world didn't end as far as I know. Keep putting those words into my mouth. Keep repeating over and over...eventually you will convince yourself the stuff you say is true.

And quoting statistics from 1953? That's a stretch, even for you.
SpringBoro Taxpayer s

Piqua, OH

#24649 May 14, 2013
apparently wrote:
<quoted text>
Apparently, both teachers and administrators are......they are leaving in DROVES. Second Business Manager in two years, another building principal. Plenty of early retirements. This should not be happening in a district like Springboro. Its either pay or working conditions I would imagine causing this. And my guess is, it may be more the latter. Employees are truly not appreciated up there. When you have a BOE member who actually says during teacher appreciation week - "maybe we should also have taxpayer appreciation day" (or something to that effect) that sends a bad message.(Not that tax payer appreciton day is not a good idea - maybe it is - but you don't say that during a week that is supposed to be dedicated to a large percentage of your employees.) He could have mentioned or suggested that at the next BOE meeting and that could have been appropriate.
SpringBoro Taxpayers (who never get any respect from the SEA members) are not happy seeing our school employee, Gail Dauber,
falsely accusing our board president during pre-arranged participation at public meetings. Isn't it a waste of taxpayers money and time to have Gail Dauber "pre-arrange" her agenda to bully an elected official?
Gail Dauber has publicly reprimanded our board president; implying that a board president should not exercise free speech rights outside the board room that "were not union approved!"
What's up with that!
Also, Gail Dauber, introducing herself as a Social Studies teacher in our schools, has now TWICE objected during public meeting to our Board of Education policy of observing Constitution Day in public schools!
Never mind how many prinicpals are leaving....
SpringBoro Taxpayers who support our public schools teaching good citizenship are now asking "When is Gail Dauber leaving?"
Our Springboro Students need only be influenced by public school teachers in every classroom who proudly, with great civic pride, uphold and fully support our great United States Constitution.
apparently

Springboro, OH

#24650 May 14, 2013
SpringBoro Taxpayer s wrote:
<quoted text>
SpringBoro Taxpayers (who never get any respect from the SEA members) are not happy seeing our school employee, Gail Dauber,
falsely accusing our board president during pre-arranged participation at public meetings. Isn't it a waste of taxpayers money and time to have Gail Dauber "pre-arrange" her agenda to bully an elected official?
Gail Dauber has publicly reprimanded our board president; implying that a board president should not exercise free speech rights outside the board room that "were not union approved!"
What's up with that!
Also, Gail Dauber, introducing herself as a Social Studies teacher in our schools, has now TWICE objected during public meeting to our Board of Education policy of observing Constitution Day in public schools!
Never mind how many prinicpals are leaving....
SpringBoro Taxpayers who support our public schools teaching good citizenship are now asking "When is Gail Dauber leaving?"
Our Springboro Students need only be influenced by public school teachers in every classroom who proudly, with great civic pride, uphold and fully support our great United States Constitution.
Wouldn't fully supporting the Constitution also allow for her to express her first amendment rights? Or is it only allowed when you agree with what someone is saying?
Curious

United States

#24651 May 14, 2013
Is there any truth to the whisper that failed BOE president Craig Colston has lost his house, moved out of the area and was never dying from cancer?

Wasn't there a Lisa Babb sponsored fund raiser for his cancer treatments?
WHY

Dayton, OH

#24652 May 14, 2013
Just Watching wrote:
Ms. Stratton seems to be leaving to take a position near her children.
Good person, good principal, she replaced Mr. Madden when he went to central office. Evidently the world did not end.
Anyone want to stand in between this woman and her children?
Apparently?
MRS. Stratton did state she was leaving because she wanted to be closer to her children. I am sure there is more to that decision!! She did not replace Mr. Madden, she was the East principal and Mr. Madden was the West principal. She will be truly missed. SHE actually does live by "children first"!!
Is anyone asking why all the administrators want out of our school district??
Just Watching

Cleveland, OH

#24653 May 14, 2013
christopherritter wrote:
<quoted text>
It is anti-community to consider the needs of the corporations, and the profits of private private donors, who financially support the Tea Party and their anti-union subsidiaries, before the needs of our children and taxpayers who wish to have a solid educational and emergency system in our community.
And who pray tell is doing this?
Heart Burn

United States

#24654 May 14, 2013
apparently wrote:
<quoted text>
Apparently, both teachers and administrators are......they are leaving in DROVES. Second Business Manager in two years, another building principal. Plenty of early retirements. This should not be happening in a district like Springboro. Its either pay or working conditions I would imagine causing this. And my guess is, it may be more the latter...
It's called turn over. A normal occurance in ALL places of employment.

But since you brought it up what are the SPECIFIC working conditions that you consider so hellish? Or is it more of you "guessing" and your "imagination"?

And if the pay is so low and the conditions so awful...where are these DROVES of teachers and administrators finding such greener pastures?

If the pay is so low and the conditions so awful, please explain the 100's and 100's of applicants the district get for the very few openings.
Just Watching

Cleveland, OH

#24655 May 14, 2013
WHY wrote:
<quoted text>
MRS. Stratton did state she was leaving because she wanted to be closer to her children. I am sure there is more to that decision!! She did not replace Mr. Madden, she was the East principal and Mr. Madden was the West principal. She will be truly missed. SHE actually does live by "children first"!!
Is anyone asking why all the administrators want out of our school district??
You are probably right, she may have missed being with her own children and did not mind cutting her commuting time.

Well some seem to want to retire, others seem to want to spend more time with their own children rather than yours, others decided to take a promotion, and others pursue opportunities they deem more fruitful.

If you ever believe that you or anyone else is indispensable, just put you finger in a glass of water and notice the nice hole you make. Then remove your finger and note the hole you left.
Just Watching

Cleveland, OH

#24656 May 14, 2013
apparently wrote:
<quoted text>
She was an excellent principal and will be sorely missed. "Seems to be leaving..." Hmmm, there you go again, assuming and basing your comments on supposition. I tagged you as better than that.
Evidently you received the "cleaned up version" as to why she is leaving from your BOE buds who are apparently "just watching" the world go by. Yep, seems your sole reason listed was part of it, definately not all of it.
Nope world didn't end as far as I know. Keep putting those words into my mouth. Keep repeating over and over...eventually you will convince yourself the stuff you say is true.
And quoting statistics from 1953? That's a stretch, even for you.
Apparently you do not appreciate their sacrifice, the numbers for WW2 have not changed from that point in time. Platoon leaders that were lieutenants died at roughly 3 times the rate of privates and were replaced by a system that trained new ones and made them ready for duty.

On occasion, the truth is a simple as it seems.

Springboro, Ohio

#24657 May 14, 2013
SpringBoro Taxpayer s wrote:
And how do you propose we do this when corporately financed Tea Party shills have infiltrated our school board and are working to undermine unions under the guise of "children first?"

We are now engaged in a war of money, to which the people of Springboro cannot possibly win, when out-of-state financiers from Grand Rapids, Michigan are shaping public debate and policy with pockets that are too deep for us to compete.

The Grand Rapids Non-Profit Industrial Complex, in league with the DeVos Family, the Mackinac Center for Public Policy, and the Educational Action Group must not be allowed to buy our local government!

Educate yourselves before corporations turn Springboro into another one of their private subsidiaries:

apparently

Springboro, OH

#24658 May 14, 2013
Just Watching wrote:
<quoted text>
Apparently you do not appreciate their sacrifice, the numbers for WW2 have not changed from that point in time. Platoon leaders that were lieutenants died at roughly 3 times the rate of privates and were replaced by a system that trained new ones and made them ready for duty.
On occasion, the truth is a simple as it seems.
"There you go again..." - Ronald Reagan. Sticking words in people's mouths. I certainly appreciate all veteran's sacrifices, whether it be service in WWII, Korean Conflict, Vietnam, Desert Storm, etc.

Just wanted you to provide some current data as you ask everyone to do.
Birkenstocks

Miamisburg, OH

#24659 May 14, 2013
christopherritter wrote:
<quoted text>
And how do you propose we do this when corporately financed Tea Party shills have infiltrated our school board and are working to undermine unions under the guise of "children first?"

We are now engaged in a war of money, to which the people of Springboro cannot possibly win, when out-of-state financiers from Grand Rapids, Michigan are shaping public debate and policy with pockets that are too deep for us to compete.

The Grand Rapids Non-Profit Industrial Complex, in league with the DeVos Family, the Mackinac Center for Public Policy, and the Educational Action Group must not be allowed to buy our local government!
Educate yourselves before corporations turn Springboro into another one of their private subsidiaries:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =IxVYFm2g9CMXX
LOL. Ritter, you work at one of the largest corporations in town. Your rant on corporations is a good one.

Somebody call Chris Matthews... conspiracy!

From what I've seen, the Tea Party fights against the things that Leftist/Libs believe make a good country. Things such as growing taxation, government run health care and retirement. Every freebie the Democrats on the Left have been promising voters, the Tea Party is against. No wonder there is rage.

As a libertarian, I have no interest in "parties". However, I do applaud the efforts of the Tea Party movement as their goal of a much smaller government is something we should all want to see.

Democrats and Republicans have both grown enormously to be fiscally irresponsible. To me, the idea that a huge federal government could be the champion of the people is just insane. Give me a government that defends the nation from aggression, defends my individual liberties, and beyond that, just leave me alone.

Lastly, at least provide some balance. The 'tea party' shills aren't the only ones influencing our local government. There are plenty of democrat, leftist, union shills supporting the other side and have been for years, long before the newest board members were VOTED in.

Springboro, Ohio

#24660 May 14, 2013
Birkenstocks wrote:
As a libertarian, I have no interest in "parties". However, I do applaud the efforts of the Tea Party movement as their goal of a much smaller government is something we should all want to see.
I don't know if you're accusing my employer of influencing public policy in Springboro, but I do know that we have served the community in many ways, including the adoption of 741, along with the leadership of Springboro council member Becky Iverson, who is also a member of the Warren County Republican central committee.

That notwithstanding, I do hold great respect for those Libertarians who are fighting for smaller government. While my views on an Open Government differ slightly from their own, those differences are usually minute enough for us to find common ground, en route towards a government that is NOT "small enough to drown in a bathtub," but one that is manageable by the taxpayers.

Regardless to the similarities in our thinking, I simply cannot see why any self-respecting Libertarian would defend the corporate shills in the Tea Party who are working to influence public policy in Springboro. Their national efforts to bust up unions under the guise of "children first" is simply a corporate takeover of our local governance.

Let me ask you this (as you seem to be one of the few rational folks on this topic board that might help ground me as I stoop to their level): What will happen to our liberty once the Democrats have bloated our budgets and the Republicans have sold its assets to the highest bidder? Our government will go bankrupt, and both our educational and emergency services will be privatized. Do you honestly believe that these corporations will place liberty and freedom in their Terms of Service agreements?
Get Real

Piqua, OH

#24661 May 14, 2013
Get Real, Mr. Bowman...
you really have no credibility on this blog critizing school district voters who are educated to the "teachers first" philosophy vs "children
first." Springboro school district voters listened to both plans for our children's future; and chose children first over status quo.
Our pro-union BOE majority tried four times to push voters into saying yes to an additional levy to pay for increased wages and compensation/benefits packages for union employees. FOUR times the levy failed, because the additional levy was not needed.
Finally, in 2009, Dr. Kohls stepped up to do the right thing for our school children and community, educating voters throughout our community that Children First Budgeting was a way better way to fund education than the status quo SEA "teahers first" way. When Dr. Kohls took office in 2010, the BOE was still pro-union majority; and the pro-union BOE majority was still unable to emotionally blackmail school district taxpayers into saying yes to increased taxes.
I cannot understand why children first is under attack for trying to destroy unions. That simply is not the Children First Budgeting plan; and our union friends who are attacking our children first budgeting board representatives are not educated to the needs of a 21st centruy education for our students; but are simply blinded by their OEA tunnel vision of "business as usual" restrictive collective bargaining laws, keeping our children's future left behind in the old ways of the 20th century.
Just Watching

Cleveland, OH

#24662 May 14, 2013
apparently wrote:
<quoted text>
"There you go again..." - Ronald Reagan. Sticking words in people's mouths. I certainly appreciate all veteran's sacrifices, whether it be service in WWII, Korean Conflict, Vietnam, Desert Storm, etc.
The number of dead from World War 2 won't change unfortunately, we lost entry level management at horrendous levels.
Just Watching

Cleveland, OH

#24663 May 14, 2013
apparently wrote:
<quoted text>
8th Grade 2011-2012 Ohio Achievement Assessment Tests Results.
Math .......50 possible points on the test
State Rating System and distribution of students for the 8th grade
Limited.......... 3 Students
Limited.......... 20% was the Average score for this group
Limited..........definition--0 -10 correct answers =(0-20% correct)
Basic..........25 Students
Basic ..........27% was the Average score for this group
Basic..........definition--11- 15 correct answers =(22-30% correct)
Proficient........174 Students
Proficient........47% was the Average score for this group
Proficient.........definition- -16-29 correct answers =(32-58% correct)
Accelerated.....159 Students
Accelerated.....67% was the Average score for this group
Accelerated.....definition--30 -36 correct answers =(60-72% correct)
Advanced........77 Students
Advanced........85% was the Average score for this group
Advanced........definition--37 -50 correct answers =(74-100% correct)

Applying Mr. Malone's same grading system used for assigning percentages to grades earned in the college credit program (PSEO)
F.....Below 62.99% correct answers.......239 Students
Percentage of Students.....55% receiving F

D..... 63%- 74.99% correct answers......108 Students
Percentage of Students.....25% receiving D

C......75%- 84.99% correct answers........49 Students
Percentage of Students.....11% receiving C

B..... 85%- 92.99% correct answers........36 Students
Percentage of Students.....8% receiving B

A..... 93% correct answers and above.....6 Students
Percentage of Students.....1% receiving A
Is this the level of achievement to which we wish to aspire in Springboro?
Is this the best we are capable of given our resources?
Should we continue to allow the schools and the state to hide behind euphemisms rather than actual achievement?
Demand better, our children and taxpayers deserve a real return on our investment in our schools.
Where Is Accountability

Piqua, OH

#24664 May 14, 2013
OGT lack of worthwhile standards and again nobody stands up and gives any answers for any of this, just give me more money or your kids will suffer.
Ask the high school staff if any of this is true or not. I looked up the same stuff Just Watching did.

Still waiting for your clarification on your post.

If you can find the question I will try and come up with the answer.

Or you could explain to all of us why you are not defining the classification of "Proficient" on the OGT.

A helpful tutelage from the Ohio Department of Education on the scales for the results on the Math test

Limited.........0-12 points..........0-25% correct on the test
Basic..........12.5-17.5 points.......26%-36% correct on the test
PROFICIENT...18-27 points..........37.5%-56% correct on the test
Accelerated...27.5-34 points..........57%-71% correct on the test
Advanced......34.5-48 points..........72%-100% correct on the test

This is not a difficult test, take it for yourself, it is on the ODE website.

http://www.ode.state.oh.us/GD/Templates/Pages ...

Then wonder why after two years of preparation in our "college prep" high school, nearly 40% of the children taking this test score 75% or less, and still have not mastered basic math covering what should have been learned in grades 1-9. They even let a child use a calculator and provide a cheat sheet with all the necessary formulas required to answer the questions on the test.

Seriously, who wishes to defend labeling a student who has mastered less than 56% of the math material as "PROFICIENT"?

Only our high school administration team would sit in front of the cameras and present to the community 97.4% of our students taking the OGT were "PROFICIENT" and above. And then proceed to bask in the clapping and cheering from the union and the union supporters with a straight face.

Springboro, Ohio

#24665 May 14, 2013
Get Real wrote:
Get Real, Mr. Bowman...
you really have no credibility on this blog critizing school district voters who are educated to the "teachers first" philosophy vs "children
first." Springboro school district voters listened to both plans for our children's future; and chose children first over status quo.
I can only assume you're talking to me as Mr. Bowman avoids this snake pit like the plague, but as I highly respect those who are brave enough to take pride in his civic duty instead of hiding behind the cover of anonymity, I'll take the honor of responding to your grievous attacks.

The results of your "children first" philosophy, as paid for by the Educational Action Group, has done nothing for the City of Chicago, in which these same privately funded Tea Party organizations left the students high and dry with nothing but promises to cover their agendas destroy the local teachers union. Your agenda is on full display in Strongsville, Ohio, including the maneuver to release the details of the contract in order to halt negotiations. Anyone who is paying attention knows that you and your kind aren't interested in our children so much as the profits of private education.

You're entitled to your opinions, as well as your paycheck from the EAG, but the citizens of Springboro are equally entitled to knowing the difference between for-profit education, and education as a pillar of our community, so that when they make their choice at the ballot, they know what they're really voting for.
Support Our Success

Piqua, OH

#24666 May 14, 2013
Inquiring minds are now asking if the latest red ribbon "support our teachers" campaign is not symbolism over substance. Are there any among our parents and community members who do not support our teachers?
We can all rally the red in support of our teacher’s rights to negotiate themselves A Fair Day's Pay For A Fair Day's Work;
But, can we all support the “status quo business as usual” old, outdated teachers union rights to walk out on our children's classroom education?
Why not add a white ribbon in support of our students' rights to receive a quality education, while keeping the costs of that education affordable for Springboro parents and taxpaying homeowners?
Red and white ribbons showing strong support for our teachers and children are made strongest by adding a blue ribbon of support for our school board representatives, school district administrative staff, and school district taxpayers? Can our community as a whole support our teachers and staff separate from support of our school district taxpayers and their elected officials?
Why not rally for the unity of red, white, and blue supporting substance over symbolism? Let's all rally in support of ALL working together to ensure that the children of the Springboro community receive an excellent education while keeping the costs of that education affordable, by carefully adhering to responsible spending!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wedding Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Sarah Palin and her onetime fans on the right: ... 7 min woodtick57 121
How to Witness to a Jehovah's Witness Ray Comfo... 8 min Gib 430
Man takes legal action after Denver baker refus... 8 min Rick in Kansas 650
Baker faces complaint for refusing anti-gay mes... 26 min Not Yet Equal 30
Patricia Larsen: Stop the meanness 45 min Doi 1
Homosexuality and the Bible (Aug '11) 1 hr Cali Girl 2014 29,166
Top Catholics and evangelicals: Gay marriage wo... 1 hr Rick in Kansas 50
More from around the web