Our recommendation: Springboro voters should say 'yes' the first time to school levies

Feb 5, 2008 Full story: Dayton Daily News 31,415

Recommended local sites More... UD sports info, pictures and discussions Are you a UD sports fan? Whether you like basketball, volleyball, soccer, men's or women's teams -- Doesn't matter -- this site is for ... via Dayton Daily News

Full Story
Question that

Lebanon, OH

#24604 May 7, 2013
christopherritter wrote:
Wouldn't that be something, to see elected officials interacting with us on community boards?
How would you know it was them?
Inquiring Minds

Piqua, OH

#24605 May 7, 2013
Inquiring minds are now asking if the latest red ribbon "support our teachers" campaign is not symbolism over substance. Are there any among our parents and community members who do not support our teachers?
We can all rally the red in support of our teacher’s rights to negotiate themselves A Fair Day's Pay For A Fair Day's Work;
But, can we all support the “status quo business as usual” old, outdated teachers union rights to walk out on our children's classroom education?
Why not add a white ribbon in support of our students' rights to receive a quality education, while keeping the costs of that education affordable for Springboro parents and taxpaying homeowners?
Red and white ribbons showing strong support for our teachers and children are made strongest by adding a blue ribbon of support for our school board representatives, school district administrative staff, and school district taxpayers? Can our community as a whole support our teachers and staff separate from support of our school district taxpayers and their elected officials?
Why not rally for the unity of red, white, and blue supporting substance over symbolism? Let's all rally in support of ALL working together to ensure that the children of the Springboro community receive an excellent education while keeping the costs of that education affordable, by carefully adhering to responsible spending!

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
WHOOPS

Dayton, OH

#24606 May 9, 2013
LOL wrote:
<quoted text>
...Who are you?
Just follow the link...
SpringBoro Taxpayer

Piqua, OH

#24607 May 9, 2013
poundsand wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't know who the Tea Party head is of Warren County and quite frankly, don't care. The union leaders have much more power and say over the teachers than one BOE member or group of tea partiers.
You get rid of union control and we'll all be able to deal with this on a local level.
OTOH, I'll be hit by a meteor before that ever happens.
Check out this FD Wall of Same on the ambulance fire levy sprks debate blog...

Scott Maney, President, Springboro Education Association, among others, endorsed this CCFD Issue 3 which would increase fire levy taxes 93% on every family in our schools.

Check with Tracy Jarvis, our school treasurer, and you will learn that Springboro families are delinquent in paying classroom fees for their own students classroom education. School superintendent, Mr. Petrey, projects his attitude that we the taxpayers should pay this debt from general fund.

At the last board meeting, a Springboro Parent and school board member, Mrs. Kull, brought this $238,000 debt to the attention of voters, via the TV cameras, and many of those watching feel it is the the school treasurer's job to collect these past due fees from parents. Mrs. Kull also reminded the public that everyone in this school district is not rich.

Now Mrs. Jarvis "projects" into the TV camera that she feels "intimidated" asking parents to Pay up for their own students; BUT Mrs. Jarvis is bold and brave in consistently recommending that Springboro should practice "status quo" doing what other schools do---Just promote a New Levy, and increase TAXES on every FAMILY in the school district! Just Tax and Spend and Tax and Spend...Attacking Springboro Parents and taxpaying homeowners just because an affluent community can be emotinally blackmailed into paying more....Does this sound like responsible spending?

SpringBoro Taxpayer

Piqua, OH

#24608 May 9, 2013
WHOOPS wrote:
<quoted text>
Just follow the link...
Thanks for the tip ... I followed the link....and found this great article....

Finding ways to methodically advance student achievement should always be everyone’s goal. Implementing academic reforms will, for example, reduce the present need for so many of our students needing to take college remediation courses. This, of course, will immediately translate into money saved for parents whose students attend Ohio’s colleges. And, in order to meet this challenge of higher academic quality, the current school Board of Education and District are, or already have plans to, invest heavily in technology, professional development for teachers, new textbooks, as well as new computers for every teacher, plus much more.
All this being said, there is a lot of work yet to be done to assure you (parents) that we will strive to do more than meet the minimum state requirements. The current Board of Education is dedicated to being advocates for every student striving to push the bar higher than other districts.
Some say there’s no need to change because our district achieved an “excellent with Distinction” rating for our most recent school year. But we live in a world that is dynamic, a world of ever-evolving expectations and realities that require our constant attention. What once was an acceptable level of achievement is now a relic of the past that will ill serve our children and our taxpayers in the future.
As parents, we all desire that our children be provided the best we can afford. We constantly challenge our children with the hope that doing so will help prepare them for the world and better lives than we ourselves enjoy. We are also highly cognizant of the importance of true learning and greatly value education and the promise of what it may bring.
Everyone in the school community has more in common than they have differences. Let us meld that commonality to push forth a better school system than we enjoy today. We owe it to our children. Let us come together to push for real achievement and higher standards that we currently demand.
http://educatespringboro.wordpress.com/2013/0...
SpringBoro Taxpayer

Piqua, OH

#24609 May 9, 2013
True Colors wrote:
<quoted text>
Totally agree! Let's stay true to our school district's committment ensuring that the children of the Springboro community receive an excellent education while keeping the costs of that education affordable, by carefully adhering to responsible spending. Special thanks to Mrs. Kohls, Mr. Petroni, and Mr. Rigano for giving priority to "our children first" best interests in every leadership and financial decision. Thank You, for working tirelessly to make Springboro a better place to live, work, learn and play sports!
God Loves Panthers! Stay True to Your School!

Support Our Success Putting Our Children Budgeting FIRST!

We Love Successful Springboro!
Just Saying

Piqua, OH

#24610 May 10, 2013
Just Watching wrote:
Going to the board meeting tonight I hear concern about levies and money that the district needs. We speak about the need for more teachers. I suggest perhaps we stop giving money due to us away. Thus far this year I have witnessed $90,000 donated to the Springboro Youth Basketball,$233,000 in uncollected school fees,$55,000 or so per year taken by the boosters from athletic funding (the amount was most likely double that as no cash was figured into the equation. I mean a guy who has the kahones to write blatant checks to himself is probably not going to worry about taking uncounted cash)
How much stuff would an extra $400,000 per year buy? That would pay for 7 new teachers at the Junior high specializing in math, science, and english.
Or $400,000 would pay for the $95,000 the tech department needs to implement their 21st Century Classroom plus have enough to provide 600 more Chrome Books (laptops for kids)
Or $400,000 would pay for the new women's locker room, the refurbishment of the weight room for the girls, tiling the girls softball field, put a nice downpayment towards the Careflight field turf, redo the track surface, replace the pole vault and high jump pits.
The idea that we go back to the past where we up charged those who were fool enough to pay an additional 25% to get some more money is a certifiable nonstarter.
There is plenty of money in the budget to do most of the things that NEED to be done to enhance our children's learning and experience if we just get serious about husbanding our resources.
The time has come to just say YES to our Springboro Schools Renewal Levy in November 2013!

This school renewal levy means NO New Taxes!

This school renewal levy means "our children first budgeting"
IS working, providing a quality education for our school children while living within our means!

The time has come to Support Our Success! Just say YES to our school renewal levy with, no new taxes!

Since: Jul 12

Cleveland, OH

#24611 May 11, 2013
just saying ,your a kool aid drinking moron...get your head out of your backside ...I and others are tired of the union BS...No more levies ...you will need to work with what you have now and that is it..you clowns can't make the money work and stretch then time to cut the salaries to the administration..no more 150,000.00 or more salaries for idiots school admins..teachers top salary should be no more than 50k...until you get the union out of the teachers and the school system no more money will be given..
Hope

Akron, OH

#24612 May 11, 2013
sigp220 wrote:
just saying ,your a kool aid drinking moron...get your head out of your backside ...I and others are tired of the union BS...No more levies ...you will need to work with what you have now and that is it..you clowns can't make the money work and stretch then time to cut the salaries to the administration..no more 150,000.00 or more salaries for idiots school admins..teachers top salary should be no more than 50k...until you get the union out of the teachers and the school system no more money will be given..
I hope some day people like this will no longer exist. You're not happy with your life so you decide to jump on the bandwagon and bash unions and say how bad they are. You my friend are the exact reason why teachers need a union. Morons like you can get elected to the school board and then YOU get to make million dollar decisions for school districts. Teachers need protection from idiots like you who win a seat on school boards. Quit blaming the unions and call your state representative and tell him or her you are fed up with the way schools have to be funded. That's the real solution to the problem, not teacher bashing and saying no to the only way a school can generate the funds it needs to run properly.
Remember November

Piqua, OH

#24613 May 11, 2013
Remember back in the dark old days of continuous streams of unnencessary school leivies, when Lisa Babb went about doing badd, reminding parents in our school district that using our schoool tax dollars, increasing our teachers compensation/benefits package, should take priority over busing our school children to class!

Remember when Lisa Babb campaigned through our neighborhoods in 2011 with her rallying cry "Babb for Boro Teachers First" falsely accusing our "children first" school board candidates of having no respect for teachers?

Can you believe that here we are ...two years later...
and pro-levy lover/union activist Lisa Babb is still rallying through our community, arm in arm, all tied up in big red ribbons with Springboro parent and professional radical extremist Dave Bowman....doing business as usual, falsely accusing our board members of having no respect.
Why, Lisa, Why?
No OEA Indoctrination

Piqua, OH

#24614 May 11, 2013
Hope wrote:
<quoted text>
I hope some day people like this will no longer exist. You're not happy with your life so you decide to jump on the bandwagon and bash unions and say how bad they are. You my friend are the exact reason why teachers need a union. Morons like you can get elected to the school board and then YOU get to make million dollar decisions for school districts. Teachers need protection from idiots like you who win a seat on school boards. Quit blaming the unions and call your state representative and tell him or her you are fed up with the way schools have to be funded. That's the real solution to the problem, not teacher bashing and saying no to the only way a school can generate the funds it needs to run properly.
The OEA members are some of the worst people we will ever have to deal with as to radical social behavior; because to the OEA radicals they are at war with the taxpayers.
They have the destruction of America in their minds and they are terrible people because their ideology makes them corrosive. They openly use children to execute their maniacal plans for social progressive changes at the expense of society, and this defines their essence. Wars are won by taking away from the other side the will to continue fighting. The OEA attacks them directly hoping to rob them of their will to stand opposed to the union’s progressive agenda.

Taxpayers have only ONE shield protecting us against this OEA war or words, and that simply put, is The Responsible Choice of No
Additonal School Levies.

The time has come for Springboro teachers to live within thier means! Taxpayers cannot afford to pay more.
Time to rally support for our school levy renewal, with No new taxes in November! Be true to your school!

G-O P-A-N-T-H-E-R-S!
Reject Forced Unionism

Piqua, OH

#24615 May 11, 2013
Nothing make a citizen more selfish than socially equitable communitarianism; once a fellow's enjoying the fruits of government health care and all the rest, he couldn't give a hoot abut the general societal interest; he's got his, and if it's going to bankrupt the state a generation hence, well, as long as they can keep the checks coming till he's dead, it's fine by him.
"Social democracy" is, it turns out, explicitly anti-social.---Mark Steyn

“Civic Innovation Designer”

Since: Mar 11

Springboro, Ohio

#24616 May 11, 2013
Hope wrote:
Quit blaming the unions and call your state representative and tell him or her you are fed up with the way schools have to be funded. That's the real solution to the problem, not teacher bashing and saying no to the only way a school can generate the funds it needs to run properly.
Given the low voter turnout, I have hope that there is only a small percentage of this anti-community sentiment, whose only power is to turn every conversation into a disgusting sludge that only appeals to their kind. Of course, they're is power in their rage as their leaders simply need to summon the spectre of unions to activate their vote. What we need is a means for more citizens to directly interact with the decision making process, to attract more people who want to collaborate on the future of our city than those who wish to destroy it.
Hope

Milford, OH

#24617 May 12, 2013
christopherritter wrote:
<quoted text>
Given the low voter turnout, I have hope that there is only a small percentage of this anti-community sentiment, whose only power is to turn every conversation into a disgusting sludge that only appeals to their kind. Of course, they're is power in their rage as their leaders simply need to summon the spectre of unions to activate their vote. What we need is a means for more citizens to directly interact with the decision making process, to attract more people who want to collaborate on the future of our city than those who wish to destroy it.
Amen
Hope

Milford, OH

#24618 May 12, 2013
No OEA Indoctrination wrote:
<quoted text>
The OEA members are some of the worst people we will ever have to deal with as to radical social behavior; because to the OEA radicals they are at war with the taxpayers.
They have the destruction of America in their minds and they are terrible people because their ideology makes them corrosive. They openly use children to execute their maniacal plans for social progressive changes at the expense of society, and this defines their essence. Wars are won by taking away from the other side the will to continue fighting. The OEA attacks them directly hoping to rob them of their will to stand opposed to the union’s progressive agenda.
Taxpayers have only ONE shield protecting us against this OEA war or words, and that simply put, is The Responsible Choice of No
Additonal School Levies.
The time has come for Springboro teachers to live within thier means! Taxpayers cannot afford to pay more.
Time to rally support for our school levy renewal, with No new taxes in November! Be true to your school!
G-O P-A-N-T-H-E-R-S!
It's sad that you believe this. Union leaders are the worst people ever? With all the terror going on all over the world you think Union members/Leaders are the worst people around. This Far right thinking and people who are Far Left thinkers is the reason our country is going through what it is. Unbelievable!
Got Hope

Piqua, OH

#24619 May 12, 2013
Got Hope?..... or do you have a status quo dream of throwing Springboro students "back under" the bus in November?

David Bowman
I am sad and disappointed with the outcome of the vote on the Springboro Firefighters Levy. I will work harder to change the outcome of this and other important votes coming in November. I am a fighter and I am not about to quit. I hope you'll join me in the fight.
Not A Chance

Piqua, OH

#24620 May 12, 2013
Got Hope wrote:
Got Hope?..... or do you have a status quo dream of throwing Springboro students "back under" the bus in November?
David Bowman
I am sad and disappointed with the outcome of the vote on the Springboro Firefighters Levy. I will work harder to change the outcome of this and other important votes coming in November. I am a fighter and I am not about to quit. I hope you'll join me in the fight.
There is no hope that David Bowman and Lisa Babb will cease fire in this OEA "War of Words" against Springboro Taxpayers and our "Children First" taxpaying voters.

There is no hope that David Bowman and Lisa Babb will stop their politics of personal destruction against our children first budgeting board members; in their pro-levy love of
greed for union power and control over our children's classroom education.

There is no hope that David Bowman and Lisa Babb will stop undermining our children's future with their efforts to distract and discredit our successful "children first budgeting" which is working for good... ensuring that the children of the Springboro community receive an excellent education, while keeping the costs of that education affordable, by carefully adhering to responnsible spending.

THERE IS HOPE FOR OUR CHILDREN'S FUTURE BY
SUPPORTING OUR SUCCESS AND KEEP OUR CHILDREN FIRST BOARD REPRESENTATIVES WORKING FOR US ....

The time has come to VOTE FOR SUCCESS in November 2013!

Say YES to Springboro Schools Renewal Levy!

Yes for renewal levy means keeping our Springboro schools Strong
and Affordable!
Support Our Success

Piqua, OH

#24621 May 12, 2013
SUPPORTING OUR SUCCESS AND KEEP OUR CHILDREN FIRST BOARD REPRESENTATIVES WORKING FOR US ....

Yes for renewal levy means keeping our Springboro schools Strong and Affordable!

Keeping Our Springboro Schools both Strong and Affordable means Keeping Dr. Kelly Kohls working as Springboro Board Representative, for our school children and community!

Thank You, Dr. Kohls, for helping Springboro be a WAY BETTER place to live! work! learn! and play sports! G-O P-A-N-T-H-E-R-S!

! Dr

Support Our Success

Piqua, OH

#24622 May 12, 2013

Yes for renewal levy means keeping our Springboro schools Strong and Affordable!

Keeping Our Springboro Schools both Strong and Affordable means Keeping Dr. Kelly Kohls working as Springboro Board Representative, for our school children and community!

Thank You, Dr. Kohls, for helping Springboro be a WAY BETTER place to live! work! learn! and play sports! G-O P-A-N-T-H-E-R-S!

“Civic Innovation Designer”

Since: Mar 11

Springboro, Ohio

#24623 May 12, 2013
Got Hope wrote:
Good Lord, it finally makes sense! All this time, I was wondering how anyone could believe that reducing funding for schools would actually help our children to succeed, and now I get it! Reducing funding for school buses LOWERS the chances that our children to be thrown UNDER a bus.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wedding Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Schuette urges court to take gay marriage case 36 min Belle Sexton 13
Steel Advice: When you are 40, don't dress like... 1 hr Panhof 1
Gay couples exchange vows in Montana after ruling 9 hr Sneaky Pete 15
Homosexuality and the Bible (Aug '11) 9 hr chris toal 26,015
White House: US increasingly backing gay marriage 11 hr WasteWater 123
Texas Couples Ask U.S. Court To Allow Same-Sex ... 12 hr Larry Craig s WC ... 5
Pastors opposed to gay marriage swear off all c... 13 hr Fake Church Watch... 20

Wedding People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE