Our recommendation: Springboro voters should say 'yes' the first time to school levies

Feb 5, 2008 Full story: Dayton Daily News 31,421

Recommended local sites More... UD sports info, pictures and discussions Are you a UD sports fan? Whether you like basketball, volleyball, soccer, men's or women's teams -- Doesn't matter -- this site is for ... via Dayton Daily News

Full Story
Just Watching

Cleveland, OH

#24584 May 3, 2013
raises wrote:
<quoted text>
No actually, it shouldn't. It should come from both sides working together. The thing that is missed completely here is - although there are "two sides" - management and labor - they are all part of one team.
Teachers need to provide their input into the process, if it is reasonable and well thought out rather than a grab bag to simply enrich themselves, then the teachers will have a real stake in their future. The teaches would then be able to mold that future to better serve all involved from teaches to children to parents to community that funds the entire affair.

It has become the time for the teachers to take back control of their profession from the professional labor salespeople, aka, union leadership at the local, state, and national level.
Just Watching

Cleveland, OH

#24585 May 3, 2013
Just Has No Clue wrote:
<quoted text>
My last post was not fully posted. JW you are arguing that children should be equal. You said they started together in first grade then by third grade they should be scoring the same. This is precisely why you should not be in education. You don't understand how classrooms work but you want to judge every teacher on tests. Teachers should be evaluated but basing it on tests that do not hold kids accountable for their results or effort on said tests is as ridiculous as you saying two kids who started third grade should be scoring the same.
When 80% of the children are scoring a D or an F on a basic Ohio Achievement Assessment test, then we have more than a little tweaking to do around the edges.

And if you have been teaching these children and 80% of them are not able to pass the test with anything resembling comprehension of the subject at hand, you as a teacher have a serious problem.
raises

Springboro, OH

#24586 May 3, 2013
Just Watching wrote:
<quoted text>
Teachers need to provide their input into the process, if it is reasonable and well thought out rather than a grab bag to simply enrich themselves, then the teachers will have a real stake in their future. The teaches would then be able to mold that future to better serve all involved from teaches to children to parents to community that funds the entire affair.
It has become the time for the teachers to take back control of their profession from the professional labor salespeople, aka, union leadership at the local, state, and national level.
Now there is actually something we agree upon. Teachers need to provide their input in the process. But again, it will be accomplished by BOTH sides working together.

And it is time for the BOE to take back control of their local schools from the Tea Party and statewide education movements that have basically become anti-teacher.
poundsand

Miamisburg, OH

#24587 May 3, 2013
RAISES, for crying out loud. You and other people that constantly bring up the 'tea party' need to give it a rest.

At least tea party folks are trying to bring back some fiscal discipline to this country. The democrats and republicans sure aren't.
raises

Springboro, OH

#24588 May 3, 2013
poundsand wrote:
RAISES, for crying out loud. You and other people that constantly bring up the 'tea party' need to give it a rest.
At least tea party folks are trying to bring back some fiscal discipline to this country. The democrats and republicans sure aren't.
And for crying out loud, you and other people need to stop constantly bringing up the UNIONS.

My point being, if you could take some time to think critically, that this all needs to be dealt with on a LOCAL level as these are our LOCAL schools. Union from Columbus, the Tea Party, etc, should not be driving any discussions....everyone on the local level should be.
Excuse Me

Piqua, OH

#24589 May 3, 2013
raises wrote:
<quoted text>
No actually, it shouldn't. It should come from both sides working together. The thing that is missed completely here is - although there are "two sides" - management and labor - they are all part of one team.
If they are All part of one team, then why isn't the SEA leading a red ribbon campaign to "Support Our Teachers and our Board of Education/School District Management Team?"

Why are SEA supporters rallying in protest falsely accusing the board of "bullying" teachers and showing "no respect?"
Why are union supporters telling news reporters in the Springboro Sun that they will keep "speaking out until they are heard?"

The message of the protest rally was AGAINST their management "team" and suggests to our community that the SEA will keep up their "war of words" against Mr. Petrey and our board members, until "management" submits to "public pressure" and gives in to union demands.
poundsand

Miamisburg, OH

#24590 May 3, 2013
raises wrote:
<quoted text>
And for crying out loud, you and other people need to stop constantly bringing up the UNIONS.
My point being, if you could take some time to think critically, that this all needs to be dealt with on a LOCAL level as these are our LOCAL schools. Union from Columbus, the Tea Party, etc, should not be driving any discussions....everyone on the local level should be.
I can agree to that.

The problem is, you can't deal with the teachers contracts on a LOCAL level as they are controlled by their union masters and contracts.

As to what the tea party involvement is in education reform, please provide an example.
raises

Springboro, OH

#24591 May 3, 2013
poundsand wrote:
<quoted text>
I can agree to that.
The problem is, you can't deal with the teachers contracts on a LOCAL level as they are controlled by their union masters and contracts.
As to what the tea party involvement is in education reform, please provide an example.
See, people can agree on this blog!:)

Well, an example would be how the BOE President, who is the Tea Party head of Warren County, I believe, not sure 100% on that, takes the message "on the road" to counsel other districts within the state on BOE philosophy.

How about worrying about what is happening LOCALLY?

In addition, the BOE proposal reads like SB5 to me, and that has already been dealt with through a statewide vote. Now whether you agree or disagree with how that shook out, the reality is, it was rejected, yet all those issues seemed to have crept in to the BOE proposal.
Support Our Success

Piqua, OH

#24592 May 3, 2013
raises wrote:
<quoted text>
Now there is actually something we agree upon. Teachers need to provide their input in the process. But again, it will be accomplished by BOTH sides working together.
And it is time for the BOE to take back control of their local schools from the Tea Party and statewide education movements that have basically become anti-teacher.
Are you suggesting that it is time for the badd Babb for Boro campaign to rally the SEA/Youth union activists to Vote for Revenge in November; so that the Pro-Union BOE members can Reverse the Winning Agenda of our Children First budgeting BOE majority?

Where's the success in that losing agenda?

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
poundsand

Miamisburg, OH

#24593 May 3, 2013
raises wrote:
<quoted text>
See, people can agree on this blog!:)
Well, an example would be how the BOE President, who is the Tea Party head of Warren County, I believe, not sure 100% on that, takes the message "on the road" to counsel other districts within the state on BOE philosophy.
How about worrying about what is happening LOCALLY?
In addition, the BOE proposal reads like SB5 to me, and that has already been dealt with through a statewide vote. Now whether you agree or disagree with how that shook out, the reality is, it was rejected, yet all those issues seemed to have crept in to the BOE proposal.
I don't know who the Tea Party head is of Warren County and quite frankly, don't care. The union leaders have much more power and say over the teachers than one BOE member or group of tea partiers.

You get rid of union control and we'll all be able to deal with this on a local level.

OTOH, I'll be hit by a meteor before that ever happens.
Not A Chance

Piqua, OH

#24594 May 3, 2013
raises wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you suggesting that "we the people" need to stop talking about the proposed union contract; and just tie a red ribbon around the tree to show support for a Teacher's levy in November, to pay for teachers "raises?"

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Support Our Success

Piqua, OH

#24595 May 6, 2013
When the purpose of the red ribbon was explained to me, my initial reaction was one of confusion. Why do we need to rally behind the district’s teachers? Yes, contract negotiations have started but we have not attacked anyone or showed disrespect for their work and profession. On the surface, one may misconstrue this Campaign and action to be yet another attempt to create a divisive environment in our community, clearly under false pretense. Perhaps just a knee jerk reaction because this school board and administration have made astonishing progress in defining and meeting the needs of our students with a focus to make our instructors as effective as possible.

http://educatespringboro.wordpress.com/catego...
Support Our Success

Piqua, OH

#24596 May 6, 2013
I am committed to make sure we remain fiscally responsible and do whatever it takes to protect our city, district community, and taxpayers who elected me to this humbling position – because that is good for educators and education in Springboro.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Out of Towner

Cincinnati, OH

#24597 May 6, 2013
Support Our Success ...Who are you?
Support Our Success wrote:
I am committed to make sure we remain fiscally responsible and do whatever it takes to protect our city, district community, and taxpayers who elected me to this humbling position – because that is good for educators and education in Springboro.
LOL

Piqua, OH

#24598 May 6, 2013
Out of Towner wrote:
Support Our Success ...Who are you?
<quoted text>
...Who are you?
Out of Towner

Cincinnati, OH

#24599 May 6, 2013
Who is "Support Our Success" ? Is this person your Mayor? They said they were elected.

“Civic Innovation Designer”

Since: Mar 11

Springboro, Ohio

#24600 May 6, 2013
Wouldn't that be something, to see elected officials interacting with us on community boards?
Boro Taxpayer

Piqua, OH

#24601 May 7, 2013
"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." Thomas Jefferson
Let Freedom Ring

Piqua, OH

#24602 May 7, 2013
Boro Taxpayer wrote:
"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be." Thomas Jefferson
Exercise Your Right To Vote - Tuesday, May 7th!

Boro Taxpayer

Piqua, OH

#24603 May 7, 2013
"Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it.

If it keeps moving, regulate it.

And, if it stops moving, subsidize it."

-Ronald Reagan

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wedding Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Gazans rush to enjoy life after ruinous war 15 min Ratloder 108
Homosexuality and the Bible (Aug '11) 3 hr Suculent-dry 26,025
Totus Tuus...all yours (Mar '12) 3 hr ELIAS IBARRA 164
'Gay cake' row 'disappointing' 4 hr seclu 127
How to Witness to a Jehovah's Witness Ray Comfo... 5 hr QUITTNER Nov 27 2014 67
Stalker case leads to lawsuit against St. Bruno... (Feb '13) 7 hr Still here 2 1,299
Utahns back religious protections against gay m... 10 hr cool 9

Wedding People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE