Our recommendation: Springboro voters should say 'yes' the first time to school levies

Feb 5, 2008 Full story: Dayton Daily News 31,555

Recommended local sites More... UD sports info, pictures and discussions Are you a UD sports fan? Whether you like basketball, volleyball, soccer, men's or women's teams -- Doesn't matter -- this site is for ... via Dayton Daily News

Full Story
lets hire Richard Simmons

Girard, OH

#23648 Feb 25, 2013
Just Watching wrote:
What's wrong with replacing academic courses with PE courses. That's what we need to service those 2000 children we have been talking about. Remember "Fitness First."
Overweight/obesity is also a significant and growing problem for our nation’s youth. Results of the 2011 YRBSS (Youth Risk Behavior Surveillance System) survey provided by the CDC indicate that approximately 15% of all Ohio high school students were obese. Ohio is 1 of 12 US states with the most obese high school students, ranging from 15 to 19 percent. Diet and physical activity also play a significant role in the problem – 2011 YRBSS data also indicate that 84.5% of Ohio high school students were eating less than five servings of fruits and vegetables per day, 32.4% watching three or more hours of television per day, and 48% not attending physical education classes on a weekly basis. Overweight/obese children often become adults with weight problems, which can lead to an increase in preventable chronic diseases, such as heart disease, diabetes, high blood pressure, and arthritis.

http://www.ohiopha.org/admin/uploads/document...
Boro Dad

Cincinnati, OH

#23649 Feb 25, 2013
One thing I haven't seen mentioned yet is that the Industrial Arts program is being dropped. I know it seems to be the way of things, but it's still hard to believe considering what we used to have years back.

seems like a shame to get rid of this...
http://springboroindtech.blogspot.com/
No Shame

Piqua, OH

#23650 Feb 25, 2013
Boro Dad wrote:
One thing I haven't seen mentioned yet is that the Industrial Arts program is being dropped. I know it seems to be the way of things, but it's still hard to believe considering what we used to have years back.
seems like a shame to get rid of this...
http://springboroindtech.blogspot.com/
No shame in dropping Industrial Arts program.
Let's face it...what we used to have years back was typing classes taught using manual typewriters...
it's the 21st century;
as our school superintendent states: We have to infuse today's lessons with tomorrow's vision.
Just Sitting Idle

Dayton, OH

#23651 Feb 25, 2013
No Shame wrote:
<quoted text>
No shame in dropping Industrial Arts program.
Let's face it...what we used to have years back was typing classes taught using manual typewriters...
it's the 21st century;
as our school superintendent states: We have to infuse today's lessons with tomorrow's vision.
Statements like this show peoples ignorance. Typewriters have been replaced by computers and keyboarding which those types of classes are still offered. Today's industrial arts is not that of your Daddy's it involves CAD, Architectural Design, Drafting to mention a few. Who needs these types of classes in the 21st Century? I'm sure these skills will not be necessary in the 21st Century. Better yet let's keep History of Rock and Roll and cut U.S. Military History. Why not get rid of these and add PE Team Sports and Individual Sports.' Wait that's what did happen, so much for vision. The teacher who taught these courses makes 1/3 of the salary of our PE teacher. Remember the new motto is "Fitness First." These are the answers to helping those 2000 students that Springboro is not reaching.
Just Sitting Idle

Dayton, OH

#23652 Feb 25, 2013
lets hire Richard Simmons wrote:
<quoted text>
Overweight/obesity is also a significant and growing problem for our nation’s youth. Results of the 2011 YRBSS (Youth Risk Behavior Surveillance System) survey provided by the CDC indicate that approximately 15% of all Ohio high school students were obese. Ohio is 1 of 12 US states with the most obese high school students, ranging from 15 to 19 percent. Diet and physical activity also play a significant role in the problem – 2011 YRBSS data also indicate that 84.5% of Ohio high school students were eating less than five servings of fruits and vegetables per day, 32.4% watching three or more hours of television per day, and 48% not attending physical education classes on a weekly basis. Overweight/obese children often become adults with weight problems, which can lead to an increase in preventable chronic diseases, such as heart disease, diabetes, high blood pressure, and arthritis.
http://www.ohiopha.org/admin/uploads/document...
That's great let's make teachers now responsible for childhood obesity, TV viewing, and proper dieting. At what point and when are the parents responsible for their children?
Just Watching

Cleveland, OH

#23653 Feb 25, 2013
Why is Mr. Malone cutting Industrial Arts? How many kids have the capacity to work with their hands or understand how anything is made?

The world needs plumbers, carpenters, electricians, sheet metal workers, HVAC people, etc etc etc

Not everyone is going to college, and not all that go succeed. Not everyone is interested in electronics or robotics, some people like to build other things.

I am still waiting for someone to give me a source for the wild claims about PE?

Does one actually exist?

Or are these lonely blatherers just deluded souls howling in the night?

Finally, the previous couple of post do not belong to me, but rather to someone with limited imagination and even fewer critical thinking skills.
Just Watching

Cleveland, OH

#23654 Feb 26, 2013
Anyone out there with that PE source material?

I trust you, but I would like to verify your rumor for myself.
Tracy Leisman Krebs

Cleves, OH

#23655 Feb 26, 2013
Pillar, who are you? You obviously think you have the right to post my full name and location online. I think you should come out of the closet and face me. Posting my name on this site was out of line. You want to post my comments, fine, but using my name without permission is bad manners. Why don't you tell us who you are. Or are you afraid?
Pillar wrote:
Another typical NFSS attitude:
Tracy Leisman Krebs - On my way to work everyday, I pass a house with a "Vote no on School Tax Levy" sign in the yard, along with dozens (DOZENS) of Halloween Mannequins, including one riding a huge black carriage. I want to cover his sign with a sign that says "Garage Sale. All proceeds go to Clearcreek Elementary."
Typical of the Levy Bevy...I want you to sell your possesions, take the proceeds and give them to a something I deem more important.
The home decorates for halloween...she doesn't like the VOTE NO sign in the yard so she wants to take from him and give it to her wants. I wonder what she thinks about those homes that have vote yes signs in the yard with halloween decorations. My guess..."very cute"
HEY Ms. Krebs...Guess what....It's NOT YOUR MONEY!\
VOTE this type of attitude down, send a message and vote for ALL your neighbors...VOTE NO
Two Cents Worth

Piqua, OH

#23656 Feb 26, 2013
Just Sitting Idle wrote:
<quoted text>
Statements like this show peoples ignorance. Typewriters have been replaced by computers and keyboarding which those types of classes are still offered. Today's industrial arts is not that of your Daddy's it involves CAD, Architectural Design, Drafting to mention a few. Who needs these types of classes in the 21st Century? I'm sure these skills will not be necessary in the 21st Century. Better yet let's keep History of Rock and Roll and cut U.S. Military History. Why not get rid of these and add PE Team Sports and Individual Sports.' Wait that's what did happen, so much for vision. The teacher who taught these courses makes 1/3 of the salary of our PE teacher. Remember the new motto is "Fitness First." These are the answers to helping those 2000 students that Springboro is not reaching.
Your two cents worth isn't convincing that money can buy common sense or courtesy. Common sense and common courtesy are free; but we do have to exercise both; or else become small-minded and fearful of losing security in thinking ourselves much more important than we really are.
Our school board/district leaders are implementing some much needed and long overdue COMMON SENSE curriculum changes that have been ignored too long. It's not just about the money; it's not just about job security for union employees; it's not just about giving parents what they want. The changes we are seeing in our school district is all about assuring a quality education for our students while living within our financial means, with no new taxes.
Well Duh

Piqua, OH

#23657 Feb 26, 2013
Tracy Leisman Krebs wrote:
Pillar, who are you? You obviously think you have the right to post my full name and location online. I think you should come out of the closet and face me. Posting my name on this site was out of line. You want to post my comments, fine, but using my name without permission is bad manners. Why don't you tell us who you are. Or are you afraid?
<quoted text>
looks like tracy is the one coming out of the closet demanding her five minutes of fame and name recognition on this blog. such bad manners, tracy, exposing your name; never heard of your name until you introduced yourself on this blog, proving your bad manners.
here you go again

Lebanon, OH

#23658 Feb 26, 2013
Just Watching wrote:
Why is Mr. Malone cutting Industrial Arts? How many kids have the capacity to work with their hands or understand how anything is made?
The world needs plumbers, carpenters, electricians, sheet metal workers, HVAC people, etc etc etc
Not everyone is going to college, and not all that go succeed. Not everyone is interested in electronics or robotics, some people like to build other things.
I am still waiting for someone to give me a source for the wild claims about PE?
Does one actually exist?
Or are these lonely blatherers just deluded souls howling in the night?
Finally, the previous couple of post do not belong to me, but rather to someone with limited imagination and even fewer critical thinking skills.
Mr. Malone is not the one cutting the course of studies...it's your puppet masters doing that.
Get Real

Piqua, OH

#23659 Feb 26, 2013
here you go again wrote:
<quoted text>
Mr. Malone is not the one cutting the course of studies...it's your puppet masters doing that.
Mr. Malone is doing nothing but sitting out his contract in his business as usual insiders tent of contentment; hoping that status quo board member Don Miller and SEA president will rally the youth union group once more and "save ron malone."
Sorry Ron, you protested throughout our churches and neighborhoods last March that a deal is a deal.
Now your last year in your contract deal is coming to a close.
And it's time for you to go quietly, with no interruption into our students studies with cries for their help to defy board authority to save your job.
Tracy Leisman Krebs

Cleves, OH

#23660 Feb 26, 2013
My name was already posted...you posted it, Pillar. Again, do you want to tell us who you are?
Well Duh wrote:
<quoted text>
looks like tracy is the one coming out of the closet demanding her five minutes of fame and name recognition on this blog. such bad manners, tracy, exposing your name; never heard of your name until you introduced yourself on this blog, proving your bad manners.
Just Watching

Cleveland, OH

#23661 Feb 26, 2013
An audit by Tom Isaacs of the Warren County Educational Services Center (WCESC) reviewed our program of studies last year and came up with the recommendations that are now being felt.

Ron Malone is the one charged with providing the BOE the program of studies for their approval. He did that at the last board meeting.

Many of the changes we are seeing are a direct reflection of the review and audit by the WCESC, a third party consultant with expertise in the education and teaching profession. The contract was engaged by Mr. Petrey and cost the district $8000 or so.(What an odd concept, hiring people with specific knowledge in specific areas to help us in our decision making)

I believe a previous audit had been done a couple years earlier that had revealed essentially the same things. Somehow somebody sat on this report for a couple of years and did nothing. Now we are forced to play catch up.

And the children that could have been helped moved through our school system with none of the improvements put into place to help them.

A new attitude that reflects the future rather than grasping onto the past is what is needed to bring the 2000 plus children in our district up to speed.
Well Duh

Piqua, OH

#23662 Feb 26, 2013
Tracy Leisman Krebs wrote:
My name was already posted...you posted it, Pillar. Again, do you want to tell us who you are?
<quoted text>
Hey Tracy Leisman Krebs -is that really You?

Well Duh posts and Pillar posts are not being posted by the same person; but you can't recognize that difference...perhaps you suffer from identity crisis, thinking you deserve more courtesy on this blog than you are willing to offer others.
We Believe

Piqua, OH

#23663 Feb 26, 2013
Just Watching wrote:
<quoted text>
There was a teacher at Dennis that offered candy to the children in her classroom to take a piece of union propaganda that was attached to the child's progress book home and have it signed and returned. That was this school year, 2012-2013
I recall a "mass" spontaneous meeting of a few children in support of keeping a high school principal in his job rather than transferring to a new one, whereby he could aide more children.( The school district subsequently filled that position with, in hindsight, a much stronger candidate )
Unions don't give a tinkers dam about the individual, unions do, however, care very much about sustaining the cash flow that the individual provides. Unions are a business that sells a product just like every other buisness. Ask some of those ex GM employees how well the union has been looking after the little guy since they stopped paying their dues do to sustained unemployment?
We "screwed up buying and spending outside our means"?
Seriously, that statement in and of itself may describe your particular situation, but do not toss me in with your bad habits. School districts have plenty of money if it is allocated in the best interests of its mission. Union work rules preclude some of the changes necessary to make the system as efficient as the funding allows. Blindly adding to the cost each year to match an inflation that has not risen its head in 5 years is absurd. That is the reason you have school principals adding Sports History, Current Events, or Music and Film (where you watch movies and notice how the soundtrack adds to the experience) to the curriculum. All the while ignoring over 2000 plus students who do not get the education the taxpayers are funding.
It's call fiddling while Rome burns.
If you don't believe me, read the report provided at the last school board meeting regarding a Program of Studies Review by the Warren County Education Service Center.
Thanks for helping community outsiders learn the truth about the goings on of the union insiders.
way too many carbs mama

Girard, OH

#23664 Feb 26, 2013
Just Sitting Idle wrote:
<quoted text>
That's great let's make teachers now responsible for childhood obesity, TV viewing, and proper dieting. At what point and when are the parents responsible for their children?
You are correct, but not 100% correct.

Parents indeed are the very first dietary role models in their childrens' lives. A lot of the time this is good, but not all the time.

Think about the people who live in and around your immediate neighborhood. It's not all that difficult to locate extremely overweight individuals who also happen to be parents of school age children. If the parents suck at monitoring their diets and overall health, how can you honestly expect their kids to do much better? These are the types of parents who likely hadn't learned to prepare any type of food from a recipe using basic wholesome ingredients - So thus, their kids likely will not learn these important skills, either.
Instead, such irresponsible slobs might consider "dinner" any and all sorts of crappy carb-filled fiberless sugary garbage they can conjure up at walmart. And of course they'll allow their kids to brownbag (oops!...sorry, girls!) Vera Bradley-bag this same crap for their school lunches. These are the type of irresponsible parents that fail to stress the importance of having SOMETHING REAL for breakfast each and every day before school. They don't bother to eat breakfast (no! Starbucks coffee DOESN'T count!) so why should they make their kids eat breakfast? The closest thing to the fruit/vegetable group you'll find in their house might be a bottle of Heinz ketchup.

So, yeah! I guess our teachers DO need to teach healthy eating habits and be positive role models for healthy living
(that is, assuming they're not obese as well!)
Oh Yeah

Piqua, OH

#23665 Feb 26, 2013
@way too many carbs mama

Oh Yeah! Way too many union teachers indoctrinating our kids and fatheat parents that the union teacher in the classroom is the MOST important resource.
Time to trim off that union fat and cut heavily-bloated politics out of our kids classrooms.
Panther Pride

Cincinnati, OH

#23666 Feb 26, 2013
Just Watching wrote:
Anyone out there with that PE source material?
I trust you, but I would like to verify your rumor for myself.
In the High School Course of Study that was presented by Dr. Malone and subsequently approved by the BOE on February 14, includes two new classes in the PE Dept., Team Sports and Individual Sports. No course numbers were provided at the time because they were new classes. I just checked the agenda for that meeting on the BOE site, looked at the High School Course of Study as presented by Dr. Malone, and verified this information.

Industrial Arts classes and Social Studies electives were also included in the HS Course of Study that was approved by the BOE that evening. If a decision was made after that time to then drop those classes from the Course of Study, wouldn't those changes then have to be approved by the BOE? Dr. Malone would not be able to make those decisions himself without BOE approval, would he? I don't see anything on the upcoming agenda regarding this topic.
Just Watching

Lebanon, OH

#23667 Feb 26, 2013
here you go again wrote:
<quoted text>
You mean the people at the Warren County Education Service Center

http://www.warren.k12.oh.us/content_page.aspx...

Do we need to post the WCESC report on line? While the first page praises our existing system, the proceeding 14 pages offer up ways to make the system better for all involved. It contains no rocket science, just a common sense approach to education that relates to the future, not the past.

Please remember an important man in our school district held on to the last report for years before prying it out of his desk to show to the administration. How many of the recommendations from that report would you believe were instituted? How many countless children lost out due to this person's neglect, as the past report lay idle, hidden away?

Now we have a real Superintendent, one for a different time, a different attitude, and different positive results for more of the children in this school district.

The envelope will be pushed up and out, whether you wish to remain entrenched in the past or soaring with the future is entirely up to you.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wedding Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Homosexuality and the Bible (Aug '11) 6 min WasteWater 26,899
Zen Buddhist Temple in Japan Offers Symbolic Sa... 1 hr Ainu 40
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 3 hr Mike 51,280
After 16 years, Tony and Tina calling it quits? (Jul '09) 4 hr Sublime1 40
Moroccoa s transgender dancer courts acceptance 12 hr sarahomo 1
Poll: Support for gay marriage drops in Mich. (May '14) 21 hr scs2011 61
Church-based institutions ponder same-sex benefits 22 hr Mitt s Baptism of... 10
More from around the web