Our recommendation: Springboro voters should say 'yes' the first time to school levies

Feb 5, 2008 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Dayton Daily News

Recommended local sites More... UD sports info, pictures and discussions Are you a UD sports fan? Whether you like basketball, volleyball, soccer, men's or women's teams -- Doesn't matter -- this site is for ... via Dayton Daily News

Comments (Page 1,162)

Showing posts 23,221 - 23,240 of31,098
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Get real

Piqua, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 23, 2013

Judged:

Just Not True wrote:
<quoted text>
It is just not true that our highly-respected AND highly
effective BOE reform-minded majority members are contributing to this relentless bully-bashing on display at every public school board meeeting. Just Not True.
Your right, they're not contributing to it, they're the reason for it.
Miller vs Kids First

Piqua, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 23, 2013

Judged:

Get real wrote:
<quoted text>
Not all students can take AP history but I guess no one cares about them, as long as the classes cut reduce costs right? Instead of more PE, why not more science and math which Springboro could definitely use more of - oh yeah that might cost too much. Kids first, my a##.
When it comes to spending taxpayers money on promoting school levies for increased salaries and benefits for our union school employees; adults first board member Don Miller votes: Im In!

When it comes to spending taxpayers money on helping our kids' first achieve higher academic standards; status quo board member, Don Miller, votes:

No way Ima supporting any improvements for our children's future; we are already As Good as We Can Be... And it just can't get any better than We union insiders, hunkered down in our big public schools tent of job security for our big union members.
Get Real

Piqua, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 23, 2013

Judged:

Get real wrote:
<quoted text>
Your right, they're not contributing to it, they're the reason for it.
It's true that bad babb/bitter bowman union activists contribute nothing to our schools and community except bully-bashing, while ignoring the real FACTS of the Amazingly Awesome Achievements of our reform minded board members just during their first year of service as BOE majority!

In just one year, under the leadership of BOE president, our board tackled the tough problems of addressing AND meeting the needs of our students and schools that had been ignored for years by previous board members and school district leaders (including Don Miller, who is still sitting as bully in chief on the board).

Bringing about change is not easy; and it is not easy on our BOE majority to have false accusations and lies being spread all over the bully babb/bowman blogs; but Springboro families and taxpaying homeowners are just Boro Proud of these good citizens who stand firm doing the right thing for our school children and community; even when it isn't the popular with the union/community activists.
Save our Students

Piqua, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 23, 2013

Judged:

Finding ways to methodically advance student achievement should always be everyone’s goal. Implementing academic reforms will, for example, reduce the present need for so many of our students needing to take college remediation courses. This, of course, will immediately translate into money saved for parents whose students attend Ohio’s colleges. And, in order to meet this challenge of higher academic quality, the current school Board of Education and District are, or already have plans to, invest heavily in technology, professional development for teachers, new textbooks, as well as new computers for every teacher, plus much more.

All this being said, there is a lot of work yet to be done to assure you (parents) that we will strive to do more than meet the minimum state requirements. The current Board of Education is dedicated to being advocates for every student striving to push the bar higher than other districts.

Some say there’s no need to change because our district achieved an “excellent with Distinction” rating for our most recent school year. But we live in a world that is dynamic, a world of ever-evolving expectations and realities that require our constant attention. What once was an acceptable level of achievement is now a relic of the past that will ill serve our children and our taxpayers in the future.

As parents, we all desire that our children be provided the best we can afford. We constantly challenge our children with the hope that doing so will help prepare them for the world and better lives than we ourselves enjoy. We are also highly cognizant of the importance of true learning and greatly value education and the promise of what it may bring.

Everyone in the school community has more in common than they have differences. Let us meld that commonality to push forth a better school system than we enjoy today. We owe it to our children. Let us come together to push for real achievement and higher standards that we currently demand.

http://educatespringboro.wordpress.com/2013/0...
reality

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 23, 2013

Judged:

"Based on the data for our Springboro school district, approximately 30% of our 5,700 students achieved a grade level of only “Proficient” or less – that equates to a grade level of ‘D’ or less. The tests are designed to reflect what students are expected to know at their grade level.
I encourage everyone to accept the data for what it is – a tool designed to identify strengths and weaknesses. We have many strengths, but there are clearly some weaknesses, too. These scores, and the need for improvement, is not an assault on any educator’s performance, but should be a “wake-up call” for some serious reflection and, if necessary, reform."

Mr. David Petroni

http://educatespringboro.wordpress.com/2013/0...
Question

Piqua, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 23, 2013

Judged:

Pathetic wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't even act like the teachers are the only ones at board meetings making comments and "jeering" or "sneering".
tony... tony hogue, is that you...?
truth to power

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 23, 2013

Judged:

Pathetic wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't even act like the teachers are the only ones at board meetings making comments and "jeering" or "sneering".
Of course they're not.
Babb, Carlisle el al has found recruits in the way of some of Boro's most pretentious.
swee pea

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 23, 2013

Judged:

Just Watching wrote:
See page 12 for key
http://www.oagc.com/files/OAGC_Grading_On_A_C ...

6th grade 2011 OAA Test Cut Scores and Scoring Bands
(This represents Springboro Class of ’17)
READING
Advanced.......76%-100%
Accelerated.....61%-75%
Proficient.........35%-60%
If a student was able to answer 17 out of 49 questions correctly they were deemed Proficient in READING.
In 6th grade READING, Springboro had 172 students out of 502 students (34%) fall in the Proficient or below category
______
MATH
Advanced.......68%-100%
Accelerated....58%-67%
Proficient........40%-57%
If a student was able to answer 20 out of 50 questions correctly they were deemed Proficient in MATH.
In 6th grade MATH, Springboro had 127 students our of 502 students ( 25%) falling the Proficient or below category
Advanced 81%-100%
Accelerated 66%-80%
Proficient 45%-65%(45%=Proficient)
In 7th grade READING, Springboro had 172 students out of 413 students (42%) fall in the Proficient or below category
_____
MATH
Advanced 72%-100%
Accelerated 58%-71%
Proficient 32%-57%(32%=Proficient)
In 7th grade MATH, Springboro had 140 students out of 413 students (34%) fall in the Proficient or below categories.
Advanced.......83%-100%
Accelerated.....71%-82%
Proficient.........48%-70%
If a student was able to answer 23 out of 48 questions correctly they were deemed Proficient in READING.
In 8th grade READING, Springboro had 136 students out of 443 students (31%) fall in the Proficient or below category.
MATH
Advanced.......78%-100%
Accelerated....61%-77%
Proficient........35%-60%
If a student was able to answer 16 out of 46 questions correctly they were deemed Proficient in MATH.
In 8th grade MATH, Springboro had 203 students out of 443 students (46%) fall the Proficient or below category.
Accelerated.....63.5%-78%
Proficient.........40.6%-63.4%
If a student was able to answer 19.5 out of 48 questions correctly they were deemed Proficient in READING.
Of the 380 Springboro sophomores who took the READING portion of the Ohio Graduation Test, 88 students (23%) fell in the Proficient or below category. This test is taken in the spring of their sophomore year and measures what they have learned in grades 1-9.
MATH
Advanced.......75%-100%
Accelerated....61%-74%
Proficient........42%-60%
If a student was able to answer 19.5 out of 46 questions correctly they were deemed Proficient in MATH.
Of the 380 Springboro sophomores who took the MATH portion of the Ohio Graduation Test, 40 students (10%) fell in the Proficient or below category. This test is taken in the spring of their sophomore year and measures what they have learned in grades 1-9.
They further REDUCED the number of questions correct that you needed to reach the various achievement levels down a question from the 2011 already low levels.
When I graduated from school during the Nixon era, 70% was usually considered a D-
Public school education standards must have really taken a turn for the worst if today, the state of Ohio rates achievement test grades of 32%- 48% as being "proficient".
Just Watching

Springfield, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 23, 2013

Judged:

Blah wrote:
<quoted text>
Please provide examples and details about how many of these teachers are indoctrinating your children and how they are victims. I've never heard of any teachers telling students to resent the board or school decisions. I would hope that the union would be looking out for the teachers. after all, unions are meant to "protect" employees. I could care less about teachers wages, benefits, or non-essential classes. I want my child to have a well-rounded education with choices. Springboro is a great school district and if it wasn't everyone on here would have moved, homeschooled, or put their kids in a charter/private school. You talk about taxes and the cost to the community? We're the ones who screwed up buying and spending outside our means and not being able to afford additional taxes. The cost of living goes up and likely the cost of educating will as well. The entire system of funding seems to center around property taxes...then lets talk to our state reprentatives about finding ways to tax evenly so that everyone shares the burden instead of just homeowners. KY uses taxes on food, auto fees, and a smaller portion I property taxes to fund schools. They gave up stupid tests like the OGT and decided to give students the ACT to gauge learning and to show some students who score well that college is a possibility for them. I envy my relatives who live there and never complain about teachers, school boards, and levys....
There was a teacher at Dennis that offered candy to the children in her classroom to take a piece of union propaganda that was attached to the child's progress book home and have it signed and returned. That was this school year, 2012-2013

I recall a "mass" spontaneous meeting of a few children in support of keeping a high school principal in his job rather than transferring to a new one, whereby he could aide more children.( The school district subsequently filled that position with, in hindsight, a much stronger candidate )

Unions don't give a tinkers dam about the individual, unions do, however, care very much about sustaining the cash flow that the individual provides. Unions are a business that sells a product just like every other buisness. Ask some of those ex GM employees how well the union has been looking after the little guy since they stopped paying their dues do to sustained unemployment?

We "screwed up buying and spending outside our means"?

Seriously, that statement in and of itself may describe your particular situation, but do not toss me in with your bad habits. School districts have plenty of money if it is allocated in the best interests of its mission. Union work rules preclude some of the changes necessary to make the system as efficient as the funding allows. Blindly adding to the cost each year to match an inflation that has not risen its head in 5 years is absurd. That is the reason you have school principals adding Sports History, Current Events, or Music and Film (where you watch movies and notice how the soundtrack adds to the experience) to the curriculum. All the while ignoring over 2000 plus students who do not get the education the taxpayers are funding.

It's call fiddling while Rome burns.

If you don't believe me, read the report provided at the last school board meeting regarding a Program of Studies Review by the Warren County Education Service Center.
focus

Dayton, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 23, 2013

Judged:

while all you folks are in a pissing match about school issues,it may be of interest of you that the township is about to screw you with a fire levy..."HELLO" ?
Just Watching

Springfield, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 23, 2013

Judged:

Get real wrote:
<quoted text>
Lets remember there are a lot of students that are doing very well in Springboro - one that got a perfect score on his ACT and many more that scored very high. So instead of keeping up the 2000 failing students bit why don't you figure out why some students learn better than others. Maybe the bigger problem is the parents failing their own kids and not so much the schools.
The fact that so many are so quick to bury the bad news to celebrate the good, is problem that we all face in this community.

You can't take all the credit for producing really smart kids, when the same system also produces 3 out of 8 children with less than a sterling education. We as a school district own the entire program, good and bad. We includes students, parents, teachers, administrators, BOE, and taxpayers, in other words all of us are in the same boat.

People tend to paper over the poor scores and concentrate on the good ones, human nature I suppose.

But those 2000 plus children who are not getting the education the taxpayers are funding need solutions, or we will surely cast those children adrift without the necessary survival skills in the not too distant future.
Just Watching

Springfield, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 23, 2013

Judged:

Get real wrote:
<quoted text>
Not all students can take AP history but I guess no one cares about them, as long as the classes cut reduce costs right? Instead of more PE, why not more science and math which Springboro could definitely use more of - oh yeah that might cost too much. Kids first, my a##.
I believe the BOE has added a couple of those classes this year and for next. Reallocation of resources from Current Events to Statistics seems to be in line with what you are writing.

You can also take advantage of the PSEO program and take higher level classes in those subjects at the college level and gain FREE college credits in the process.

Win/win situation for everyone, student, parent, and the school.

Please show me where to find this BOE move to add more PE classes.

I trust your assertion, I just like to verify that assertion for myself.

Trust, but verify.

Since: Aug 12

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 23, 2013

Judged:

focus wrote:
while all you folks are in a pissing match about school issues,it may be of interest of you that the township is about to screw you with a fire levy..."HELLO" ?
YES! A few are trying to get the word out on the "Ambulance, Fire levy" forum.
Just Because

Piqua, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2013

Judged:

focus wrote:
Just because those interested in doing the right thing for
our schools and community are not grandstanding with disgusting expressions like that above; doesn't mean that we are not fully aware of the Gabbard/Wade plan to dig deeper into taxpayers pockets for more job security for the union masters.
Gabbard was swept into elected office with big money from union-activists, with the you scratch my back-I scratch yours "deal."
Anybody know how much money Gabbard/Wade has already cost over-taxed homeonwers by putting this on the May ballot, instead of waiting until November?
Just Because

Piqua, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2013

Judged:

focus wrote:
Just because our "always promoting school levies" board member Don Miller failed in his attempt to shove this renewal levy down the throats of taxpayers by spending big bucks to do so; doesn't mean that union activists have to bring their Stephi B potty mouth out of the board room and onto this discusssion blog.
Potty mouth kids in our teachers union public schools are most likely reprimanded by our awfully awesome union teachers in our kids' classrooms; but the radical rule of ridicule of potty mouth mom Stephi B is applauded by the severly-misguided supporters of board member, Don Miller, who proclaims himslef being elected to protect the self-interest agenda of power and control, projected into the community by our public schools teachers union.
Oh Yeah

Piqua, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2013

Judged:

truth to power wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course they're not.
Babb, Carlisle el al has found recruits in the way of some of Boro's most pretentious.
...and some of Boro's biggest bullies like that potty-mouthed mom Stephi B. This boro bully-mom with the potty-mouth is like a big old sherman tank crushing down on the board members, pulling rank as a "has been in the military" ...therefore, the school board is thereby ordered to defer ALL authority to ME, and what ME wants, for MY kids.
Broader Vision

Piqua, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2013

Judged:

Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
Do not be fooled by all the nonsense Children First board they added PE courses and cut academic classes.
Common Sense voters, supporting our reform-minded children first board representatives, will not be fooled by the status quo tunnel vision of long-time board member, Don Miller, and Miller's support base of union/community activists, who relentlessly protest our board to reverse our BOE majority 2012 achievements; thereby deferring our children's future to the SEA 2006 agenda of business as usual; deferring our children-first best interests to the SEA adults-first self-interest priority of more control over our school tax dollars, and our children's classroom education.

We will not be fooled; we will not step down.

We respectfully ask tunnel-vision board member, Don Miller, to either step up and march to the beat of the new philosophy and broader vision of our reform-minded BOE majority; or please show respect to ALL voters who elected you and just step down; or at least sit quietly "on the board" till your time runs out at the polls in November.
Broader Vision

Piqua, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2013

Judged:

Don't be fooled by the Don Miller and Miller's support base of union/community activists (some of which include paid bowman blogger and supporters of the 2012 bad babb for boro failed union-financed-campaign).

We need to continue firm support for our BOE majority achievements; AND we need to re-elect Kelly Kohls to serve our school children and community four more years; AND we need to join our board majority, ONE more good citizen, who has thick-skinned leadership expertise and shares the same broader vision philosophy for our children's future, to step up AND help us; so that our longest sitting tunnel-vision board member, Don Miller, can step down in November.

Mr. Miller is the last man "sitting" who is not on board with our reform-minded board representatives. Our BOE majority's tireless efforts and expertise in leadership and finances, are bringing about much-needed changes improving in the way we educate all children in our Springboro school district/community.

Please check out on the school board website the 2012 highlights of our new board's amazingly awesome achievements, in just one year, addressing AND meeting many "unmet needs" for services for our children, that had been ignored and never addressed, nor met, by previous board members(including Don Miller) and previous school district leaders (who have chosen to leave employment in our school district, rather than work with our new board philosophy of "children first" investment of our school tax dollars.

Please check out the new and informative school website, including the timely message to the community from our school superintendent, in which Mr. Petrey states:
"We have to infuse today's lessons with tomorrow's vision!"
Just Awesome Inspiritation!
What say ye, Mr. Miller? Are you on board with our new board philosophy of assuring a quality education for all children in our community while living within our means?
Or, will you continue sitting on the board wasting taxpayers time and money "protecting" the public schools teachers union's rights to fight against
Springboro residents for "OEA-indoctrinated social justice?"
WrongTurn Miller St

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2013

Judged:

Broader Vision wrote:
Don't be fooled by the Don Miller and Miller's support base of union/community activists (some of which include paid bowman blogger and supporters of the 2012 bad babb for boro failed union-financed-campaign).
We need to continue firm support for our BOE majority achievements; AND we need to re-elect Kelly Kohls to serve our school children and community four more years; AND we need to join our board majority, ONE more good citizen, who has thick-skinned leadership expertise and shares the same broader vision philosophy for our children's future, to step up AND help us; so that our longest sitting tunnel-vision board member, Don Miller, can step down in November.
Mr. Miller is the last man "sitting" who is not on board with our reform-minded board representatives. Our BOE majority's tireless efforts and expertise in leadership and finances, are bringing about much-needed changes improving in the way we educate all children in our Springboro school district/community.
Please check out on the school board website the 2012 highlights of our new board's amazingly awesome achievements, in just one year, addressing AND meeting many "unmet needs" for services for our children, that had been ignored and never addressed, nor met, by previous board members(including Don Miller) and previous school district leaders (who have chosen to leave employment in our school district, rather than work with our new board philosophy of "children first" investment of our school tax dollars.
Please check out the new and informative school website, including the timely message to the community from our school superintendent, in which Mr. Petrey states:
"We have to infuse today's lessons with tomorrow's vision!"
Just Awesome Inspiritation!
What say ye, Mr. Miller? Are you on board with our new board philosophy of assuring a quality education for all children in our community while living within our means?
Or, will you continue sitting on the board wasting taxpayers time and money "protecting" the public schools teachers union's rights to fight against
Springboro residents for "OEA-indoctrinated social justice?"
To his credit, Miller seems to have improved his word enunciation abilities to a certain degree. His verbal abilities now stand head and shoulders above Neanderthals and cannibals from Appalachia.
Do Know Do You

Piqua, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 25, 2013

Judged:

WrongTurn Miller St wrote:
<quoted text>
To his credit, Miller seems to have improved his word enunciation abilities to a certain degree. His verbal abilities now stand head and shoulders above Neanderthals and cannibals from Appalachia.
Have absolutely no idea what the above statement means;

Do know that business as usual board member Don Miller means to continue aligning himself with the teachers union/community activists in promoting the politics of destruction; in efforts to distract, discredit, and personally attack character of our reform minded BOE majority and our school district's new philosophy of children first budgeting.
Do know there is no credit due Don Miller for protecting public schools teacher union agenda of positioining themselves in negotiations for more power over school board authority.
Do know that these union/community activists are wasting taxpayer's time and our school tax dollars with all their
paranoia and taxpayer-funded law suits over keeping the "outsiders" from inside the "business" of the Springboro Education Association. Do know that board member Don Miller is the only one left of the original 5 board members who promoted over and over a false budget crisis manipulating increased taxes from Springboro families and taxpaying homeowners so that union employees could have increased wages and health care benefits, at the expense of cutting needed services to our school children.
Do know that two elected terms of office for Don Miller has proven
that "old outdated status quo leadership" simply has not worked for our children first;and simply has not earned a 2014 seat in the boardroom with reform-minded board members, with whom Don Miller has voted against our children first; and has fearfully clung to his same old tired mantra, that he was elected to protect the public schools teachers union, adult first agenda.
Our children's 21st centrury education simply cannot "THRIVE" with four more years of Don Miller's tunnel vision.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 23,221 - 23,240 of31,098
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••