Our recommendation: Springboro voters should say 'yes' the first time to school levies

Feb 5, 2008 Full story: Dayton Daily News 31,302

Recommended local sites More... UD sports info, pictures and discussions Are you a UD sports fan? Whether you like basketball, volleyball, soccer, men's or women's teams -- Doesn't matter -- this site is for ... via Dayton Daily News

Full Story
Just Watching

Cleveland, OH

#23461 Feb 15, 2013
What were you wrote:
If you are the moral compass for us to follow, I don't really want to go in whatever direction you are pulling...
What direction am I pulling? With what facts specifically do you disagree? Would you be so kind as to elaborate on that statement?
Common Sense

Piqua, OH

#23462 Feb 15, 2013
What were you wrote:
You might be an expert in your household budget but just because you pay taxes does not mean you are an expert in public finance. And thanks but I am not a teacher as you assume. If anyone question or disagrees, they HAVE to be teachers? I mean there can't possibly be taxpayers that support public education and teachers....
Whether private or public, balancing one's budget is just like protecting one's virtue--sometimes you just have to say No.
I smell OEA

Springboro, OH

#23463 Feb 15, 2013
idiot Bowman speaks at board meeting incoherent yet again.
can ya prove it

Springboro, OH

#23464 Feb 16, 2013
Does anyone know of this "Violations of freedom of speech" that Bowman is talking about. What could he be talking about? What did the board tell employees that stops their first amendment rights. I am sure this is another make believe statement but has anyone asked him to prove his statements? Can he?
can ya prove it

Springboro, OH

#23465 Feb 16, 2013
What were you wrote:
<quoted text>
Funny the board that you worship is not the ones I have witnessed - lecturing taxpayers about comments they are well within their rights to say! Not Permitting a give and take with the residents they serve. The board serves all taxpayers, not just the ones that agree with them.
You may have missed all of the meetings where it is made clear that audience members are not within their rights to make. Board meetings as well as City Council do not have to let anyone speak. Most board meetings of public nature do not let the public speak. I can't believe they do when they don't have to waste their time letting people get their five minutes of fame. Turn off the cameras and you will see a reduction of the displays. I go to a few board meetings and I see the same union activists there every time. They are the most disrespectful people. I see the board not talking over the speakers they don't even have to let speak. I see the union activists talking out loud over board members when board members speak. These people whisper so loud I can't hear what is going on. Sometimes I think we are sitting with such immature people that my 10 year old would put to shame.
Free Speech

Milford, OH

#23466 Feb 16, 2013
I believe the BOE sent an email to the staff through Mr. Petry that the staff can not speak on any decisions that are made by the BOE, not positive but I think this is what people are speaking of when referring to Free Speech
Just Watching

Cleveland, OH

#23467 Feb 16, 2013
Free Speech wrote:
I believe the BOE sent an email to the staff through Mr. Petry that the staff can not speak on any decisions that are made by the BOE, not positive but I think this is what people are speaking of when referring to Free Speech
Free Speech is one of those things that must be exercised with prudence.

A person may hate their boss and think him/her a moron, but is it a good idea to blather that kind of opinion at the office every chance one would get? How long do you suppose you will be employed in that office?

(I will give you a hint, in the private sector, not very long)

If someone cannot stand the work environment they toil in daily, they need to find somewhere else that fits their particular criteria.

If someone has opinions of their employers that aren't all that positive they should do themselves and their colleagues a favor and move on to a position elsewhere that fits their criteria.

No one is permanently tethered to a job in the United States, we are free to pursue happiness anywhere.

If one was that unhappy, then they should seek employment in a place that would appreciate that person's blend of professionalism, talent, and personality.

Good luck on your search.
Lurker

Englewood, OH

#23468 Feb 16, 2013
can ya prove it wrote:
<quoted text>
You may have missed all of the meetings where it is made clear that audience members are not within their rights to make. Board meetings as well as City Council do not have to let anyone speak. Most board meetings of public nature do not let the public speak. I can't believe they do when they don't have to waste their time letting people get their five minutes of fame. Turn off the cameras and you will see a reduction of the displays. I go to a few board meetings and I see the same union activists there every time. They are the most disrespectful people. I see the board not talking over the speakers they don't even have to let speak. I see the union activists talking out loud over board members when board members speak. These people whisper so loud I can't hear what is going on. Sometimes I think we are sitting with such immature people that my 10 year old would put to shame.
I believe 2 current board members took plenty of time speaking to the previous board before they were elected.
reality

Girard, OH

#23469 Feb 16, 2013
What were you wrote:
<quoted text>
Funny the board that you worship is not the ones I have witnessed - lecturing taxpayers about comments they are well within their rights to say! Not Permitting a give and take with the residents they serve. The board serves all taxpayers, not just the ones that agree with them.
The BOE's policy regarding no two-way discussion wasn't installed to be broken every other board meeting, or for special occasions. Now is just the same as during past Springboro boards. During each board meeting members of the public may have pre-arrainged time, or may walk to the podium to speak to specific agenda items. Sorry about your luck if you're not able to convincingly get your point across. For a portion of that 1/10 audience to premeditate their unprovoked verbal lynching, it couldn't have taken more than half an ounce of their collective brain matter. Maney and his gang of SEA thugs made absolute fools out of themselves in the face of this community. Rest assured, especially in the weeks leading up to November 5th, parents, taxpayers and voters within this community will not forget their collective foolishness.
Triple A Rating

Piqua, OH

#23470 Feb 16, 2013
Totally agree that the response to Mr. Bowman from the Springboro Board of Education members is rated Absolutely Amazingly Awesome.
The purpose of public participation to discuss school board business was stated, by the board president, respectfully and clearly; but Mr. Bowman rambled all over the place in what appeared to be an accusation that the board president did not have the same right of free speech to voice opinions; that was somewhat confusing to those of us who had no idea what Mr. Bowman was complaining about; but we could understand the patience practiced by the board members and their interest in responding to the citizen's concerns. Now we all know that Mr. Bowman actually has no concerns; but just shows up to be top performer for the union, while the hecklers for the unions planted in the "audience" join the jeering in efforts to disrupt the board meeting.
Our Springboro school board members are to be commended for refusing to allow Mr. Bowman to pull them into his fiery "ring of ridicule." Mr. Bowman's tactics of intimidation are typical of those outlined in the union masters "bible" Rules for Radicals by Saul Alinsky.
______
Many of those attending the February 14 meeting (exchanging personal opinions while walking through hallways and parking areas) were expressing "embarrassment" felt for Mr. Bowman, and wondered why this parent/community member would offer himself in such self-humiliating sacrifice on behalf of the self-interest union masters agenda of greater power and control of our kids' classroom education and our school tax money.
Does anybody know if Mr. Bowman is paid for his grandstanding bully services?
Do You Understand

Piqua, OH

#23471 Feb 16, 2013
“The Springboro Sun, February 7, 2013, includes an excellent and informative article "Accelerating student achievement through innovation and policy" which states, "As a board this past year, our policies have focused on many innovative areas to advance student achievement. We put technology in the classroom and recently bought every teacher a new laptop computer. We invested in new curriculum for our elementary students and added AP classes at the high school. We are building computer network infrastructure that will enable teaching with technology, and we approved new investements in our bus fleet and facilities. Through policy, our administrators are preparing our teachers for the changes ahead. Most importantly, we've developed a unanimously approved budget that prioritizes the learning requirements of our children."

If you missed reading this article in the newspaper, you can still benefit by learning more about the accomplishments of our school district leadership and school board representatives during the past year, putting our children first, at the website http://educatespringboro.wordpress.com/2013/0 ...

Please read the real truth, and not some paid blogger bad mouthing our board because they think of the kids first. Remember this is negotiations 101. The paid blogger has to make you believe there is a victim that you need to protect. There are so many untruths out there trying to discredit, distract, and personally attack our school board representatives who are putting our children first. It appears that those who oppose our board representatives putting our kids first, think that textbooks, safe buildings, technology and safe transportation are not important “resources” for our kids (just because our previous board and former district leaders neglected, year after year, all attempts of problem solving all these important "unmet" needs of our schools and our children).
Hopefully, this is a clear representation of what this board represents, and it is clearly for kids first. Our adults have representation with their unions. Our board representatives are making sure there are no victims here as there was in the past, our kids.
In the past, if districts ran short of money a cookbook of pressure techniques were used to get the levy passed. Our current board and school district leadership has proven that these tactics hurt the kids and they were unnecessary. That can’t stand if the agenda is control and money driven. Do you understand?
Lurker

Englewood, OH

#23472 Feb 16, 2013
Sure seemed like the crowd was clapping for Mr Bowman. Were we at the same meeting?
Scoffer

Piqua, OH

#23473 Feb 16, 2013
Lurker wrote:
Sure seemed like the crowd was clapping for Mr Bowman. Were we at the same meeting?
Most bullies are applauded by those lurkers in the audience willing to exploit the bullies' addiction to self-glofification
and the applause of others.
Kind of sad for Bowman; but even more embarrassing.
But that five minutes of self-induced fame is over; and no doubt he is left even hungrier for that next "crowd-clapping" fix.
Follow the Money

Piqua, OH

#23474 Feb 16, 2013
5) Mr. Malone went on endlessly about the A/P courses in our high school, but failed to make the case why a college course would be weighted 15% less than a course taken in his high school.
It is as if Mr. Malone is trying to discourage students from looking outside the high school for advanced opportunities.
-posted by Just Watching-

Page 22 of the SHS program of studies describes the PSEO program that allows high school students to take college courses for both high school and college credit. As noted in the HSTW TAV Report in 2010, less than TWO PERCENT of students pursue this opportunity.

One likely reason is this statement in the SHS Program of Studies: "All graduation requirements are recommended to be completed at Springboro High School; courses at college level should be electives only." I did share my concerns about the legality of this statement, as ORC clearly allows students to take any classes they choose through PSEO, and Dr. Malone told me this was an outdated policy that is no longer enforced at SHS.

Data provided from Sinclair Community College shows 10 students from SHS currently enrolled in PSEO at Sinclair. For the sake of comparison, there are 31 students enrolled from Lebanon High
School. This is an area that is worthy of goal setting for increased enrollment of SHS students in college classes.

From a policy viewpoint PSEO is a challenge because it is a direct transfer of state funding from the school district to the college.
However, it is also a tremendous opportunity for bright students to earn college credits without paying for them, and it is an opportunity that should legally be presented to students without the bias of funding losses.
Just Watching

Cleveland, OH

#23475 Feb 16, 2013
Lurker wrote:
I believe that was the teacher's union and its misguided supporters. Mr. Bowman went silent, as did that supportive crowd, when after Mr. Bowman claimed teachers are the primary reason for a student's success he was challenged from the crowd about the parent's primacy in his assertion. Mr. Bowman never did respond to that and the issue dropped rather quickly.

Apparently, the union and its supporters never really considered that parents might just be a little more important.
Lurker

Englewood, OH

#23476 Feb 17, 2013
Just Watching wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe that was the teacher's union and its misguided supporters. Mr. Bowman went silent, as did that supportive crowd, when after Mr. Bowman claimed teachers are the primary reason for a student's success he was challenged from the crowd about the parent's primacy in his assertion. Mr. Bowman never did respond to that and the issue dropped rather quickly.
Apparently, the union and its supporters never really considered that parents might just be a little more important.
Of course parents are very important in learning. I think we can all agree on that point. I have a partnership with my kids teachers! If I believed it was only parents, I would homeschool. But I realize teachers are key to my kids success!
Our Money Our Kids

Piqua, OH

#23477 Feb 17, 2013
What were you wrote:
<quoted text>
What were you doing.... during the time when former board president, Don Miller, refused public participation during our school board work sessions?

What were you doing..... when Don Miller refused to listen to Springboro taxpayers speak (during business meeting public participation) proposing 12 steps that our board should consider implementing to reform our budget, putting our students first, with no increase in our property taxes?

What were you doing....when Don Miller "shut down" this Springboro taxpayer when the ticking clock keeping time, stopped ticking.
Former BOE president, Don Miller, refused to listen to these Springboro taxpayers, with whom he disagreed, and Don Miller is the only status quo board member who consistently refuses to listen to Springboro taxpayers who support our children first budgeting plan; and Don Miller votes against our children first
budgeting, refusing to "serve" the Springboro families and taxpaying homeowners who voted him into office as our board representative.
Probably Not

Piqua, OH

#23478 Feb 17, 2013
Lurker wrote:
Probably Not -- Some of those at the meeting came to listen to the school board business items that were on the February 14 board meeting agenda.

Others came to the meeting with a pre-arranged agenda to rattle
our children first budgeting board members; hoping these board representatives would take the "bait" and just tell Bowman to leave the meeting; of course Bowman pre-planned that he would not respect board authority and leave; but would stay to his agenda of distraction and disruption, in his severely misguided hope of getting himself on TV camera (lots more attention for Bowman on TV than he can get on his bowman blog).

Sure seemed like the small group of Bowman's jeering bullies in the audience came to clap for Bowman's five minutes of fame grandstanding in the bully pulpit in front of the TV cameras.
Nothing productive to offer; Just a waste of taxpayers time.
Worth Repeating

Piqua, OH

#23479 Feb 17, 2013
reality wrote:
<quoted text>
The BOE's policy regarding no two-way discussion wasn't installed to be broken every other board meeting, or for special occasions. Now is just the same as during past Springboro boards. During each board meeting members of the public may have pre-arrainged time, or may walk to the podium to speak to specific agenda items. Sorry about your luck if you're not able to convincingly get your point across. For a portion of that 1/10 audience to premeditate their unprovoked verbal lynching, it couldn't have taken more than half an ounce of their collective brain matter. Maney and his gang of SEA thugs made absolute fools out of themselves in the face of this community. Rest assured, especially in the weeks leading up to November 5th, parents, taxpayers and voters within this community will not forget their collective foolishness.
Say It Again....Bravo! Bravo!
Lest We Forget

Piqua, OH

#23480 Feb 17, 2013
Lurker wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course parents are very important in learning. I think we can all agree on that point. I have a partnership with my kids teachers! If I believed it was only parents, I would homeschool. But I realize teachers are key to my kids success!
"We are all something, but none of us are everything."
- Blaise Pascal

We all have a place in the world that is significant;
without distorting it one way or another.
By pumping up the importance of teachers in our kids' education,(so that voters will see how awesome they are and demand that our school board promote a levy should be passed to give the teachers increased salaries and health care benefits, at the expense of overly tax-burdened homeowners) our SEA/union community activists are distorting the truth, portraying our teachers as victims, and our children first budgeting board representatives as "the enemy fighting against our teachers." Our reform-minded BOE elected majority representatives ARE not the ones bringing harm to our schools and community; Our babb for boro and bowman blog bullies are our severely misguided neighbors who are greatly harming our children's future success, with their consistent disruption and distraction tactics "fighting for status quo."
Lest we forget --- We all matter. Our challenge is not to let ourselves think that we matter more than anyone else.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wedding Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Hitching Post wedding chapel sues over gay marr... 26 min NE Jade 17
Christian Pastors Given Choice: Perform Same-Se... 37 min Poof1 162
Judge Strikes Down NC Gay Marriage Ban 1 hr Cullen the Drunk 76
Elizabeth Taylor & Michael Jackson at Her Final... 3 hr goodvibrations 4
Clarksburg Couple on "My Big Redneck Wedding" (Feb '09) 6 hr angel 55
Sweden scales back submarine hunt 8 hr Jumper The wise 3
Same-Sex Marriage Trumps Religious Liberty in N... (Aug '13) 8 hr Rachel 742

Wedding People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE