Our recommendation: Springboro voters should say 'yes' the first time to school levies

Feb 5, 2008 Full story: Dayton Daily News 31,303

Recommended local sites More... UD sports info, pictures and discussions Are you a UD sports fan? Whether you like basketball, volleyball, soccer, men's or women's teams -- Doesn't matter -- this site is for ... via Dayton Daily News

Full Story
we can do it

Girard, OH

#23300 Feb 1, 2013
Small Town Pride wrote:
<quoted text>
How fortunate are we in Springboro to have good caring neighbors willing to share their concerns for all children; investing time to research these flaws in our system; and suggesting actions to be taken for further insight. After all we have learned, isn't it time for our school district leaders/taxpayers to take that next step toward higher a professional group to help us pursue answers to why springboro should consider a conversion school?
It would be awfully nice for this community to be able to discuss conversion schools all on its own.
Whoops! I almost forgot! So far that conversation has been stifled by Babb's mob of paranoia.
Remember This Date

Piqua, OH

#23301 Feb 1, 2013
PSEO wrote:
<quoted text>
Is this why the high school never pushed PSEO?
Never mind the kids needs we have staff to keep employed.
SHS will be hosting our annual P.S.E.O. meeting Wednesday, February 13, at 6:00 p.m. in the Auditorium. All Parents and students interested in attending college while still in high school should attend.
Special Bully Status

Piqua, OH

#23302 Feb 1, 2013
hater wrote:
<quoted text>
If she leaves, we'd have five less Brats to educate. I've heard that her kids are Troublemakers who are barely pass some of their classes. They're probably the ones scoring low on tests and bringing our district scores down! Her high school son was kicked off the cross country team this year, I heard he was suspended twice! Good riddance. Stay home with your kids Tiff, you're a terrible mother!
Reading between the lines, the message here is that nobody, nor nobody's child, should be bullied nor have personal character attacked on this blog. It's just wrong; and it makes everyone who reads this uncomfortable; so please stop.
That said, the public behavior of our community bullies, including Tiffany, Lisa, and Sarah, among others, clearly reveal to the community as a whole that these parents are neither good role models for children, nor good neighbors, nor responsible citizens in our community.
Yet, year after year, our school administrators cling to these few parents, puffing them up with their special bully status as the parents who are chosen to sit along with school staff on either side of the most influential school employee of them all -- our school superintendent -- who after all, used very poor judgement in "dubbing" these bullies as his district parent council members commissioned to "communicate" the school districts needs to the community as a whole.
If a child misbehaves in the classroom, and the teacher gives "atta-boy pats" on the child's head, will the child not continue misbehavior that is rewarded with the attention that is sought?
Just Watching

Cleveland, OH

#23303 Feb 1, 2013
hater wrote:
<quoted text>
If she leaves, we'd have five less Brats to educate. I've heard that her kids are Troublemakers who are barely pass some of their classes. They're probably the ones scoring low on tests and bringing our district scores down! Her high school son was kicked off the cross country team this year, I heard he was suspended twice! Good riddance. Stay home with your kids Tiff, you're a terrible mother!
Please, this is B......t!

If you don't like what someone is saying, refute that, this on the other hand is utter crapola.

If you want to write this, put your real name on the page.
Just Watching

Cleveland, OH

#23304 Feb 1, 2013
Lurker wrote:
<quoted text>
Doug, I was asking about this statement "Yes, charter schools have had a spotty history, particularly in urban areas. However there are many examples of conversion school success especially in areas that generally mirror the demographics of Springboro. "
I just wanted the names of the districts referred to in this post.
Again, what are you defining as successful? What is the background of the schools you are referring to in this post? Which areas generally mimic the demographics of Springboro?

A conversion school can do what ever we put our minds to accomplish. We have the talent, the resources, the student base, and the will to make it work to our defined ends.

We can certainly learn from others mistakes and successes, but success means many different things to many different people. Defining it first is the only method to truly measure what we are trying to accomplish. Merely asking if something is a success or failure in a vacuum tells us nothing.
Lurker

Englewood, OH

#23305 Feb 2, 2013
Just Watching wrote:
<quoted text>
Again, what are you defining as successful? What is the background of the schools you are referring to in this post? Which areas generally mimic the demographics of Springboro?
A conversion school can do what ever we put our minds to accomplish. We have the talent, the resources, the student base, and the will to make it work to our defined ends.
We can certainly learn from others mistakes and successes, but success means many different things to many different people. Defining it first is the only method to truly measure what we are trying to accomplish. Merely asking if something is a success or failure in a vacuum tells us nothing.
I just want the posters on here to name these successful schools and districts they keep referring to. I would define success by how they do on state testing.
Miller Valentine

Girard, OH

#23306 Feb 2, 2013
Anyone on here work with David Petroni at Miller Valentine?
Boro Backer

Cincinnati, OH

#23307 Feb 2, 2013
hater wrote:
<quoted text>
I am not close to the Carlisle family, but I do have children the same age as her children, and what you posted about her family could not be further from the truth. Not only was her son not kicked off of the cross country team, he was one of their better runners this season and has never been suspended. Her children are smart, polite, well-rounded, and well-mannered and are the kind of children that both teachers and coaches enjoy having in their classroom or on their team. I should know as my husband has coached her son in the past. To wrongly disparage her family as you have done is a disgrace and is yet another example of why I take any of the "facts" as presented by posters such as yourself with a grain of salt.
Tell It Like It Is

Piqua, OH

#23308 Feb 2, 2013
common core is rotten wrote:
<quoted text>
Step #1:
Like our Hoosier neighbors to the West, join a growing grassroots movement to leverage each and every Ohio school district away from the Federal economic blackmail commonly known as Common Core teaching standards.
Common core has been nothing more than a FAILURE everywhere, Ohio's public schools being no exception. These days around the state of Ohio, the reason hundreds upon hundreds of districts pat themselves on the back while proudly displaying "Excellent" banners generally has not so much to do with improved quality of teaching. This has a lot more to do with image protection. Our students' standards have been very quietly lowered thru the years in order to help mask the flaws that are inherent in this system of teaching that has been rammed down our throats by the blackmailing FEDS in DC.
Why is the OAA bar systematically lowered? Common Core teaching methods has lead to a propensity to want to "feel good" about education. At the end of the day, Common Core teaching methods turn a blind eye as to HOW WELL the children are educated.
Ohio's distorted mandated Common Core teaching methods are behind why so many A students (and yes even a lot of "gifted" students) end up having to take remedial classes before they can begin their college major.
More...
http://stopcommoncore.com/
http://americansforprosperity.org/indiana/new...
How low can our status quo board member Don Miller pull down our children first into this rotten common core of bad apples for our children's future?
Please, Mr. Miller, will you please go now...for the kids?
Just Watching

Cleveland, OH

#23309 Feb 2, 2013
Lurker wrote:
<quoted text>
I just want the posters on here to name these successful schools and districts they keep referring to. I would define success by how they do on state testing.
Fair enough. Now how much of an improvement will you deem success?
And what type of improvement are they focused upon as their mission?

These schools can be whatever you design them to be and whatever mission you ask them to pursue.

Your question remains a shotgun fired into space looking for targets.
A real dialogue could be had with more thought on your part, until then we can't begin to have an actual conversation.

Let's open a dialogue about how we can integrate such a school in this district that works to alleviate the failure of 3/8's of our students. How do we design a program that meets those needs? How do we deploy our resources to combat this insidious limitation of our current program?

2000 plus kids each year are falling by the wayside according to the state tests. Year in and year out.

How much longer do we feel we can wait to provide them relief?
Yes We Can

Piqua, OH

#23310 Feb 2, 2013
we can do it wrote:
<quoted text>
It would be awfully nice for this community to be able to discuss conversion schools all on its own.
Whoops! I almost forgot! So far that conversation has been stifled by Babb's mob of paranoia.
Yes We Can discuss conversion schools by staying focused on the strengths of our Springboro Schools and our community; Let's stay focused on our BOE majority's willingness to acknowledge and try problem solving these challenges of higher educational achievement for each one of our kids, throughout our community. Staying focused on the strengths of our schools and community, as our BOE majority is now doing, will minimize the fear and paranoia being stirred throughout our community by the union-supported Babb for Boro failed 2011 campaign.
Babb for Boro union activists have campaigned heavily against our children first in favor of union financial interst first!
Since union activists Lisa Babb and Don Miller refuse to concede the election of November 2011 to our children first elected officials; concerned citizens must claim our responsibility to rise above the low standards for our children's future that Lisa Babb and Don Miller continue protesting in favor of, supported by the Teachers Union pep squad.
snowbird

Girard, OH

#23311 Feb 2, 2013
Miller Valentine wrote:
Anyone on here work with David Petroni at Miller Valentine?
Does he work there now?
Lurker

Englewood, OH

#23312 Feb 2, 2013
For the record, the majority of people at the well-attended school board meeting were not part of the teachers union. Just because I support our great teachers, doesn't mean I am a union thug!
Lurker

Englewood, OH

#23313 Feb 2, 2013
After seeing some of the irrational personnel actions taken by our board, I strongly support the teachers right to have a union!
Just Watching

Cleveland, OH

#23314 Feb 2, 2013
Lurker wrote:
After seeing some of the irrational personnel actions taken by our board, I strongly support the teachers right to have a union!
Who said otherwise?

To which irrational acts are you specifically referring that you have personally witnessed?
Hold On

Cincinnati, OH

#23315 Feb 2, 2013
Lurker wrote:
For the record, the majority of people at the well-attended school board meeting were not part of the teachers union. Just because I support our great teachers, doesn't mean I am a union thug!
Agree! I like you, Lurker.
Lurker

Englewood, OH

#23316 Feb 2, 2013
Just Watching wrote:
<quoted text>
Who said otherwise?
To which irrational acts are you specifically referring that you have personally witnessed?
The teachers aren't probably sharing their concerns with you since you were the sponsor of Mr Petroni and Rigano's campaign.
They are very concerned for their jobs and afraid of what could happen to them. These are professionals who should be treated with respect! Not made the scapegoats for everything!
Just a Simple One

Piqua, OH

#23317 Feb 2, 2013
Hold On wrote:
<quoted text>
Agree! I like you, Lurker.
Now alls Ima sayin, Lurker, is that Ima liking me some lurker too; but hey, what about Stephi's stinking performance on January 22?
Now there's a real no-class act performed on behalf of our no class teachers union activists, that you can really "hold on" to lowering our teachers union credibility.
No OEA Indoctrination

Piqua, OH

#23318 Feb 2, 2013
Lurker wrote:
As for me and my household of voters, we would be the first to defend the right of Ohio's government workers to protest and to advocate for their positin in the public arena. Such a right is among the foundational rights of our great Republic. The Ohio Education Association however, believes teachers should carry their protest and advocacy into classrooms all over Ohio. The OEA also believes teachers should indoctrinate our children on unionism.

After seeing some of the disruptive, disrespectful protests of our SHS Youth Union students, under the influence of the Springboro Education Association president, Scott Maney, creating havoc of disrespect and ridicule of authority throughout our schools and community, then we say "not with my hard earned investment of school tax dollars in our children's future."
Worth Repeating

Piqua, OH

#23319 Feb 2, 2013
Just Because wrote:
It's time for our fearful ones to stop clinging to "status quo" failed practices of the past; just because we've always practiced past failures. We have a new practice of doing education in the best interest of each individual student under new elected-leadership majority of reform-minded BOE representatives.
Hooray for us! Our school district voters have broken that OSBA/OEA tunnel vision which promotes continuous streams of new school taxes; holding parents hostage over things like increased fees and threats of "brain drain" caused our community by our classroom teachers "walking out” on our Springboro students; IF self-interest demands of grand-standing union activists aren't met.
School districts voters have failed five new money school levy requests;and have voted into elected office school board representatives who support "Levy Alternatives/Budget Reform"... FIRST, before coming to heavily-taxed-burdened homeowners for new money. Our new BOE majority is doing what’s right for our school children and our community! How fortunate are we to hear at the January 22 public school board meeting, from our school district CFO report, that our school finances are in good shape and right where we expected to be! How grateful we are to our BOE budget and finance committee for their amazing achievements during 2012, as we offer continued support throughout greater challenges of the new year.
Our school district’s new philosophy of our reform-minded BOE majority is the right choice for our children's future;and the right way to keep Our Springboro Schools and Our Springboro Community as a whole ...GROWING STRONG.
Have you noticed that SEA/commuunity union activists posting on this board act just like immature children constantly nagging and whining their self-interests; when, truth be told, the only reasonable response is simply Just Because.

How fortunate we are in Springboro to be out of that continuous indoctrination of OSBA/OEA streams of school levies holding our children's greater achievements hostage to that "excellent with distinction" phony mantra of "being the best that you can be."

(Let's have a moment of silence for our good Centerville friends who are still gettting pushed around by this deceptive indoctrination of the OSBA/OEA community union activists. We Love You! Centerville! but we sure wish you could see thing the Springboro Children's First Way!)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wedding Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
No Same-Sex Marriages in Murphy, NC Yet, But Of... 23 min _Timmy 2
Islanders protest gay-marriage ban - Hawaii News (Feb '09) 1 hr Bakatari 173
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 2 hr lides 50,646
Berlusconi: Let's legalize gay civil unions 3 hr Rainbow Kid 23
With gay marriage comes question: I do or I don't 3 hr Reverend Alan 18
Hitching Post wedding chapel sues over gay marr... 4 hr WeTheSheeple 54
Christian Pastors Given Choice: Perform Same-Se... 4 hr Pat Robertson s F... 247

Wedding People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE