Our recommendation: Springboro voters should say 'yes' the first time to school levies

Feb 5, 2008 Full story: Dayton Daily News 31,553

Recommended local sites More... UD sports info, pictures and discussions Are you a UD sports fan? Whether you like basketball, volleyball, soccer, men's or women's teams -- Doesn't matter -- this site is for ... via Dayton Daily News

Full Story
two As in accountability

Girard, OH

#23180 Jan 24, 2013
Accountibility wrote:
<quoted text>
Springboro has the highest paid superintendent than all others before him; but he is new on the job; and quite vulnerable to falling for the political strategy of crafty community activist groups.
Where have you been hiding? He already has!
Scoffer

Piqua, OH

#23181 Jan 24, 2013
Lurker wrote:
So you don't have a problem with 2 of our board members having a PAC?
You don't think they are using their PAC to influence public opinion?
David Bowman is writing factual articles about our schools and our school board.
Does that scare you?
David Bowman blogs and articles spreading lies and attacking the character of others on our school board do not scare me at all- just totally disgust me, thats's all.
I choose to avoid reading David Bowman's low opinions; and find it disgusting to be subjected to his personal opinions at public board meetings.
Remember When

Piqua, OH

#23182 Jan 24, 2013
Remember the hissy fit the PTO Moms and Levy Ladies and SEA activists threw last year over getting their program of studies that Malone brought in crammed down our throats, in a big hurry, so that Malone could hire more union teachers so that the kiddies could take guitar lessons?
It seems there is a long standing pattern in this school district of the same group of self-interest activists trying to claim the school tax dollars paid by all school district voters; for their own small closely-knit group's personal agenda.
Several times during the January 10 protest, there were diruptive yells of "It's OUR money."
Why do these rude and rowdy community members (who descend upon these board meetings like vultures) think they have special privileges to claim they speak for an entire community of taxpayers, as if they OWN ALL OUR money to spend as these few community activists see fit to their personal agendas?
its ALL OF OUR money

Girard, OH

#23183 Jan 24, 2013
Remember When wrote:
Remember the hissy fit the PTO Moms and Levy Ladies and SEA activists threw last year over getting their program of studies that Malone brought in crammed down our throats, in a big hurry, so that Malone could hire more union teachers so that the kiddies could take guitar lessons?
It seems there is a long standing pattern in this school district of the same group of self-interest activists trying to claim the school tax dollars paid by all school district voters; for their own small closely-knit group's personal agenda.
Several times during the January 10 protest, there were disuptive yells of "It's OUR money."
Why do these rude and rowdy community members (who descend upon these board meetings like vultures) think they have special privileges to claim they speak for an entire community of taxpayers, as if they OWN ALL OUR money to spend as these few community activists see fit to their personal agendas?
"It's OUR money!"..."It's OUR money!"..."It's OUR money!"...

..all the while board member Miller sat quietly in the auditorium's cat-bird seat, he did the best he could not to break a smile while he basked in an unmistakable aura of absolute greed being exuded from union-first thinkers.
READ

Yellow Springs, OH

#23184 Jan 25, 2013
Scoffer wrote:
<quoted text>
David Bowman blogs and articles spreading lies and attacking the character of others on our school board do not scare me at all- just totally disgust me, thats's all.
I choose to avoid reading David Bowman's low opinions; and find it disgusting to be subjected to his personal opinions at public board meetings.
You might learn something if you read his articles!!! Maybe some of us are tired of your personal opinion!
Just Watching

Cleveland, OH

#23185 Jan 25, 2013
Boys Basketball game tonight at the High School

Dine 'N Dunks Dinner before the game in the cafeteria

Tonight's menu: Spaghetti, breadsticks, salad, and a drink.

Bring a date before the game, grab dinner, and watch the game.
Just Watching

Cleveland, OH

#23186 Jan 25, 2013
I forgot to mention, ALL proceeds go to the Athletic Fund to offset the cost of all of our athletic programs.

So support a good cause, save yourself the rushing around, bring the family to dinner with your friends before the game.
Healthy Choice

Piqua, OH

#23187 Jan 25, 2013
READ wrote:
<quoted text>
You might learn something if you read his articles!!! Maybe some of us are tired of your personal opinion!
Then Don't Read Personal Opinions that you are tired of.
Just as junk food adds unhealthy extra baggage to our physical bodies; unhealthy junk food for thought bogs down our minds and clear judgement.

"A man who is pleased when he receives good instruction will sleep peacefully, because his mind is thereby cleansed."
-Budda
Healthy Choice

Piqua, OH

#23188 Jan 25, 2013
READ wrote:
<quoted text>
You might learn something if you read his articles!!! Maybe some of us are tired of your personal opinion!
It is better to know nothing than to learn nothing.
-Hebrew Proverb
Healthy Choice

Piqua, OH

#23189 Jan 25, 2013
"But ye, beloved, building up yourselves on yur most holy faith, praying in the Holy Ghost,
Keep yourselves in the love of God, looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life." - Jude 20,21
Practice What You Teach

Piqua, OH

#23190 Jan 25, 2013
Have you read the latest Springboro schools newsletter, in which the kindgergarten teachers' anti-bullying lessons to kids are in the spotlight?

Isn't this a waste of taxpayers money in light of the bullying behavior of teachers and parents seen modeled at public school board meetings on January 10 and January 22?

"In teaching children we must seek insensibly to unite knowledge with the carrying out of that knowldge into practice." -Immanuel Kant
Just Watching

Cleveland, OH

#23191 Jan 25, 2013
I must admit to be slightly amused at all of the demands for transparency from the Board on anything they do.

I contrast that with demands for transparency from our Athletic Programs. Whether it be the Booster Club, The Fan Store, a public accounting of each sports teams finances, etc. All of these were supposed to be filing financial reports monthly with the Superintendent's Office. A repeated public records request turned up a few pieces of paper here and there, but nothing that resembled anything like a real financial statement, or even general accounting ledger.

I hear not a word of exhortation from the people who are howling about $15,000 being spent to investigate better ways of educating our children, but raise not a word over the unaccounted $1,000,000 athletic budget.

I watch as pork barrel employment practices for the junior high basketball games balloon out of control, while they neglect to raise one dime to help offset those same costs.

Since second grade every player in the select basketball program has been supported by their parents donating their time and effort. Running the clock, doing the books, collecting the money at the gate, and manning the concessions stands when call upon.

Suddenly, in the 7th grade, we find that the only people qualified to run a time clock are school employees being paid $25 per game to do so. The only people who can run a set of books are school employees who are paid $25 per game to write down who scored. The only people capable of collecting money at the door are school employees, once again on the payroll.

The athletic director claims she is not capable of running a concession stand, every other venue we visit is capable of doing so and does, with the exception of Xenia. Instead the athletic director at the junior high and the principal say it's best to use the vending machines where we get a cool $100 per week or so from 8 the games played in our gym each week. When we ran our own concessions we made $3500 over a two month period.

This same athletic director used to be the person at the gate collecting the admission fees and selling concessions, of course it did cut into the amount of time she had for reading.

Please don't cry those crocodile tears for me when you complain about fraud and waste, we see it every day.
Ahh but maybe

Englewood, OH

#23192 Jan 25, 2013
Just Watching wrote:
I must admit to be slightly amused at all of the demands for transparency from the Board on anything they do.
I contrast that with demands for transparency from our Athletic Programs. Whether it be the Booster Club, The Fan Store, a public accounting of each sports teams finances, etc. All of these were supposed to be filing financial reports monthly with the Superintendent's Office. A repeated public records request turned up a few pieces of paper here and there, but nothing that resembled anything like a real financial statement, or even general accounting ledger.
I hear not a word of exhortation from the people who are howling about $15,000 being spent to investigate better ways of educating our children, but raise not a word over the unaccounted $1,000,000 athletic budget.
I watch as pork barrel employment practices for the junior high basketball games balloon out of control, while they neglect to raise one dime to help offset those same costs.
Since second grade every player in the select basketball program has been supported by their parents donating their time and effort. Running the clock, doing the books, collecting the money at the gate, and manning the concessions stands when call upon.
Suddenly, in the 7th grade, we find that the only people qualified to run a time clock are school employees being paid $25 per game to do so. The only people who can run a set of books are school employees who are paid $25 per game to write down who scored. The only people capable of collecting money at the door are school employees, once again on the payroll.
The athletic director claims she is not capable of running a concession stand, every other venue we visit is capable of doing so and does, with the exception of Xenia. Instead the athletic director at the junior high and the principal say it's best to use the vending machines where we get a cool $100 per week or so from 8 the games played in our gym each week. When we ran our own concessions we made $3500 over a two month period.
This same athletic director used to be the person at the gate collecting the admission fees and selling concessions, of course it did cut into the amount of time she had for reading.
Please don't cry those crocodile tears for me when you complain about fraud and waste, we see it every day.
Ahh.... but maybe there is a reason why school employees work the games! Think about this....if parents worked the games at the JH level (clock, book, tickets), there might be an EXPECTATION for their son/daughter to get more playing time. By having school employees do these things there is no expectation.
Its sounds to me like you might have a "bee in your bonnet" over something at the JH level....what might that bee be?
You are a very grumpy and cynical man, Just Watching! Get a job, get a life, and get happy....
Mixed

Milford, OH

#23193 Jan 25, 2013
Just Watching wrote:
I must admit to be slightly amused at all of the demands for transparency from the Board on anything they do.
I contrast that with demands for transparency from our Athletic Programs. Whether it be the Booster Club, The Fan Store, a public accounting of each sports teams finances, etc. All of these were supposed to be filing financial reports monthly with the Superintendent's Office. A repeated public records request turned up a few pieces of paper here and there, but nothing that resembled anything like a real financial statement, or even general accounting ledger.
I hear not a word of exhortation from the people who are howling about $15,000 being spent to investigate better ways of educating our children, but raise not a word over the unaccounted $1,000,000 athletic budget.
I watch as pork barrel employment practices for the junior high basketball games balloon out of control, while they neglect to raise one dime to help offset those same costs.
Since second grade every player in the select basketball program has been supported by their parents donating their time and effort. Running the clock, doing the books, collecting the money at the gate, and manning the concessions stands when call upon.
Suddenly, in the 7th grade, we find that the only people qualified to run a time clock are school employees being paid $25 per game to do so. The only people who can run a set of books are school employees who are paid $25 per game to write down who scored. The only people capable of collecting money at the door are school employees, once again on the payroll.
The athletic director claims she is not capable of running a concession stand, every other venue we visit is capable of doing so and does, with the exception of Xenia. Instead the athletic director at the junior high and the principal say it's best to use the vending machines where we get a cool $100 per week or so from 8 the games played in our gym each week. When we ran our own concessions we made $3500 over a two month period.
This same athletic director used to be the person at the gate collecting the admission fees and selling concessions, of course it did cut into the amount of time she had for reading.
Please don't cry those crocodile tears for me when you complain about fraud and waste, we see it every day.
Dear Doug,
I truly feel sorry for your two daughters and your young son. The way you act in public at board meetings, setting up appointments with your sons basketball coach and said AD, setting up appointments with a guidance counselor to complain about PSEO and how the school is not doing what they are supposed to be doing by law (which they do by the way, meeting was held in Feb) is more than like mortifying for your young children. The way your wife scolded a young man on your sons team for not paying for pregame meals yet (does she have any idea how embarrassing it is to be called out for not having money in front of your friends) Did you ever think that as 7th graders parents probably want to watch their kids play instead of running books and feeding people at a concession stand? When you were in your "select" days the people running the concession stands were probably parents of younger or older teams (you have 7 levels to choose from) at the junior high you don't have that option anymore, parents want to watch their kids not embarrass them like you do. I'm glad teachers are there to do this and yes they do deserve to be paid for their services. I want to watch my son play in the game, not worry about who has how many fouls or points nor do I want to be selling snickers and popcorn to people. I want to watch my son and his teammates on the court. You seriously need to either one, get a job, or two, start enjoying your kids youth. Don't make them go to school and have their friends ask why their dad is always posting on Topix and what not. How about putting YOUR kids first and you and your wife quit embarrassing them daily.
Get a Life

Milford, OH

#23194 Jan 25, 2013
Just Watching wrote:
I must admit to be slightly amused at all of the demands for transparency from the Board on anything they do.
I contrast that with demands for transparency from our Athletic Programs. Whether it be the Booster Club, The Fan Store, a public accounting of each sports teams finances, etc. All of these were supposed to be filing financial reports monthly with the Superintendent's Office. A repeated public records request turned up a few pieces of paper here and there, but nothing that resembled anything like a real financial statement, or even general accounting ledger.
I hear not a word of exhortation from the people who are howling about $15,000 being spent to investigate better ways of educating our children, but raise not a word over the unaccounted $1,000,000 athletic budget.
I watch as pork barrel employment practices for the junior high basketball games balloon out of control, while they neglect to raise one dime to help offset those same costs.
Since second grade every player in the select basketball program has been supported by their parents donating their time and effort. Running the clock, doing the books, collecting the money at the gate, and manning the concessions stands when call upon.
Suddenly, in the 7th grade, we find that the only people qualified to run a time clock are school employees being paid $25 per game to do so. The only people who can run a set of books are school employees who are paid $25 per game to write down who scored. The only people capable of collecting money at the door are school employees, once again on the payroll.
The athletic director claims she is not capable of running a concession stand, every other venue we visit is capable of doing so and does, with the exception of Xenia. Instead the athletic director at the junior high and the principal say it's best to use the vending machines where we get a cool $100 per week or so from 8 the games played in our gym each week. When we ran our own concessions we made $3500 over a two month period.
This same athletic director used to be the person at the gate collecting the admission fees and selling concessions, of course it did cut into the amount of time she had for reading.
Please don't cry those crocodile tears for me when you complain about fraud and waste, we see it every day.
Dear Doug,
I truly feel sorry for your two young daughters and young son. The way you and your wife act around Springboro is sad. Your wife ripping into a young man for not paying for his pregame meals yet within earshot of all of his friends (does she realize how embarrassing it is to be called out for not having money) is unthinkable. You setting up meetings with guidance counselors to complain about PSEO (which by the way they do hold meetings like they are supposed too, meeting was in Feb of 2012) or setting up a meeting with your sons coach and said AD. Having teachers work the book and take tickets and run scoreboards is a great thing. And yes, they do deserve to be paid for their time. You referred to parents doing this during "select" games, obviously you forgot that there are seven age groups of parents to run the books and concession stands Doug. At the junior high games you don't have that luxury anymore. I for one want to watch my son play, I do not want to work the clock,collect tickets or sell Sniker Bars to people like you. You are wrong on so many levels of what you post on here Doug, the high school does do what they are supposed too and the junior high AD does a fantastic job. You need to get off of Topix and enjoy your young children as they grow up, you have lost all credibility on here. "Just Watching" you make an A$$ of yourself is getting really old.
Why no answers

Huron, OH

#23195 Jan 25, 2013
Mixed wrote:
<quoted text>
Dear Doug,
I truly feel sorry for your two daughters and your young son. The way you act in public at board meetings, setting up appointments with your sons basketball coach and said AD, setting up appointments with a guidance counselor to complain about PSEO and how the school is not doing what they are supposed to be doing by law (which they do by the way, meeting was held in Feb) is more than like mortifying for your young children. The way your wife scolded a young man on your sons team for not paying for pregame meals yet (does she have any idea how embarrassing it is to be called out for not having money in front of your friends) Did you ever think that as 7th graders parents probably want to watch their kids play instead of running books and feeding people at a concession stand? When you were in your "select" days the people running the concession stands were probably parents of younger or older teams (you have 7 levels to choose from) at the junior high you don't have that option anymore, parents want to watch their kids not embarrass them like you do. I'm glad teachers are there to do this and yes they do deserve to be paid for their services. I want to watch my son play in the game, not worry about who has how many fouls or points nor do I want to be selling snickers and popcorn to people. I want to watch my son and his teammates on the court. You seriously need to either one, get a job, or two, start enjoying your kids youth. Don't make them go to school and have their friends ask why their dad is always posting on Topix and what not. How about putting YOUR kids first and you and your wife quit embarrassing them daily.
This sounds liked Wiedeman has struck a raw nerve with some people who like to keep everyone in the dark. I notice that you didn't realize each team took care of their own team with their own parents in select. Nobody cried or complained.
And you aren't supposed to speak with your kids teachers, advisors, or coaches? That seems stupid.
And that pay to play has gone down from $375 to $160. If my math is any good and we did as Wiedeman suggested it would almost go to zero.

Keep raising the questions it seems to bother some people that it should.
hypocrites

Girard, OH

#23196 Jan 25, 2013
Practice What You Teach wrote:
Have you read the latest Springboro schools newsletter, in which the kindgergarten teachers' anti-bullying lessons to kids are in the spotlight?
Isn't this a waste of taxpayers money in light of the bullying behavior of teachers and parents seen modeled at public school board meetings on January 10 and January 22?
"In teaching children we must seek insensibly to unite knowledge with the carrying out of that knowldge into practice." -Immanuel Kant
It's nothing less than hypocritical for our Springboro teachers to be speaking out against bullying, when next month at their Atlanta national teacher's meeting, notorious BULLY pro-communist, pro-domestic terrorist Bill Ayers is scheduled to be one of the keynote speakers.
Doug Wiedeman

Cleveland, OH

#23197 Jan 25, 2013
Get a Life wrote:
<quoted text>
Dear Doug,
I truly feel sorry for your two young daughters and young son. The way you and your wife act around Springboro is sad. Your wife ripping into a young man for not paying for his pregame meals yet within earshot of all of his friends (does she realize how embarrassing it is to be called out for not having money) is unthinkable. You setting up meetings with guidance counselors to complain about PSEO (which by the way they do hold meetings like they are supposed too, meeting was in Feb of 2012) or setting up a meeting with your sons coach and said AD. Having teachers work the book and take tickets and run scoreboards is a great thing. And yes, they do deserve to be paid for their time. You referred to parents doing this during "select" games, obviously you forgot that there are seven age groups of parents to run the books and concession stands Doug. At the junior high games you don't have that luxury anymore. I for one want to watch my son play, I do not want to work the clock,collect tickets or sell Sniker Bars to people like you. You are wrong on so many levels of what you post on here Doug, the high school does do what they are supposed too and the junior high AD does a fantastic job. You need to get off of Topix and enjoy your young children as they grow up, you have lost all credibility on here. "Just Watching" you make an A$$ of yourself is getting really old.
Where to start, how about meeting with my daughters guidance counselor, Ms. Wilson, to learn more about how the PSEO is run. This is a program whereby the state will pay for the college courses your child takes while still enrolled in high school. My daughter is going to be a senior this coming year and needs but one class to graduate, I would like to take as much advantage of this program as is possible. The deadline for notification is March 1, the deadline to sign the letter of intent to participate is March 31, and the deadline for fall consideration is May 1. Time passes so quickly now that it seems only prudent to begin moving forward now rather than later. Ms. Wilson and I met from 6:10 a.m. until 6:45 a.m. and she provided me with much needed background and information about the program. I know now what options are available, other students experiences in the past , and what we need to concentrate on in the near term. All and all a good, productive meeting.

If money is indeed as tight as everyone likes to make it out to be, and evidently there are children in our community that cannot afford to pay to participate, then perhaps we should look at the underlying cost structure in place that is driving the price of the program out of reach. Larding on employees to a program does nothing but unnecessarily bloat the payroll. Ultimately someone has to pay the price for those chunks of lard, either through higher taxes, higher pay to play fees, or more fund raising.

My point is that we are spending over $7000 to pay for jobs that at other schools either parents or other children are doing for far less. Add to that the lost revenue we miss by not running a concession stand like everyone else, save Xenia, and you have another $3500 not being collected.
$10,500 divided by the 80 girls and boys in the basketball program would equal $131.50 per kid in costs that did not need to be paid. Pay to participate is only $160 per child now.

We all did our duties for the teams at the select level. They did NOT bring in other grades to have us watch the door for our games, or keep the scorebook, or run the clock. While not everyone was able to participate as much as others, as usually happens, enough people stepped up when the bell was rung to successfully run the program.

The duties of an athletic director are more managerial and administrative than secretarial. The same skill set that produces a good teacher or aide is not necessarily one that translates naturally to a good athletic director.
Lurker

Englewood, OH

#23198 Jan 26, 2013
How much do PSEO cost the district?
Who Are These Hypocrites

Piqua, OH

#23199 Jan 26, 2013
hypocrites wrote:
<quoted text>
It's nothing less than hypocritical for our Springboro teachers to be speaking out against bullying, when next month at their Atlanta national teacher's meeting, notorious BULLY pro-communist, pro-domestic terrorist Bill Ayers is scheduled to be one of the keynote speakers.
Where can we get a list of the Springboro Teachers/SEA union officials who are attending this conference in Atlanta? And who is the school employee responsible for sending teachers to this conference? Is it the SEA president who decides; does the school superintendent have to give his approval? Does the SEA pay expenses for this national teacher's meeting from their union dues which have already been collected from local Springboro families and taxpaying homeowners? Do teachers pay expenses out of their own pockets?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wedding Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Poll: Support for gay marriage drops in Mich. (May '14) 3 hr scs2011 61
Homosexuality and the Bible (Aug '11) 4 hr KiMare 26,892
Church-based institutions ponder same-sex benefits 4 hr Mitt s Baptism of... 10
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 4 hr KiMare 51,279
The day Cyclone Tracy unleashed hell on Darwin,... 4 hr Storm 1
Salvation Army: Boston jewelry gifts 'contagious' 6 hr Mitt s Baptism of... 1
Zen Buddhist Temple in Japan Offers Symbolic Sa... 7 hr Switches 39
More from around the web