Our recommendation: Springboro voters should say 'yes' the first time to school levies

Feb 5, 2008 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Dayton Daily News

Recommended local sites More... UD sports info, pictures and discussions Are you a UD sports fan? Whether you like basketball, volleyball, soccer, men's or women's teams -- Doesn't matter -- this site is for ... via Dayton Daily News

Comments
22,721 - 22,740 of 31,176 Comments Last updated Monday Aug 18
contract me

Cincinnati, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2013

Judged:

hey Don wrote:
<quoted text>
Don Miller quote from 1/10 board meeting..."I would to see district officials conduct a study of all options, not just a conversion school".
Mr. Miller, you're a official in Springboro schools, correct? And you don't like the idea of spending $15,000 for the Calendar Group to conduct a study? Then why don't you take a break from those weekly developmental speech annunciation sessions so that you and your constituents can research alternative ways to better serve struggling as well as gifted Springboro students?
The January 10th board meeting was nothing less than a pre-planned filibuster orchestrated by SEA teachers against having any genuine public open discussion of a conversion school. Bully Boro teachers can't or won't think outside the perimeter of their respective union cards long enough to honestly give a rat's ### about students in this district who are genuinely struggling, or are gifted and are struggling because they are no longer being challenged.
So you don't like Plan A that was tabeled 1/10? OK. Fine. Let's see you come up with Plan B.
You can just forget about trying to convince the people of this district that NOTHING needs to be done to enhance the educations of certain Springboro student segments.
Who brought up the Callender Group? Wasn't that Petroni? Wasn't he the one who invited Jamie Callender to speak? Isn't Petroni the one who said he had met Jamie Callender? What was it....after an RFP and one time before that? Why not ask Dave Petroni why HE DIDN'T look at all options before INVITING JAMIE CALLENDER to look into CHARTER/CONVERSION SCHOOLS IN SPRINGBORO? Seems to me like Petroni brought this short-sighted idea into the distric then quickly tried ot shove it down our throats. If I'm wrong, explain to me how Jamie Callender came to our schools and who asked him to put a contract togehter. When was the first contact and how made it???????
contract me

Cincinnati, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2013

Judged:

UR a fraid wrote:
<quoted text>
This pathetic effort to run interference epitomizes last Thursday's cumulative SEA dog and pony show.
The Springboro teacher's union is GENUINELY AFRAID to allow free and open discussion by those who are interested in ways to improve the educations of the segments of students who tend to fall through the cracks.
Afraid? I don't think the teacher's union is afraid of free and open discussion by those looking to impove education. I do think this COMMUNITY is afraid of the direction some members of the BOE want to take. Those BOE members who DO NOT APPEAR TO SUPPORT PUBLIC EDUCATION - don't say you do when you don't even think it's good enough for your own kids. Is it improving education or is it a personal and political agenda? That's what we're afraid of. The word speak intended to admonish those that don't believe the rhetoric and see that you don't bellieve in the very schools you're charged with leading. And I use that term very loosely. Please Springboro....wake up. We all see the truth behind the web of words....
executive producer

Dayton, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2013

Judged:

contract me wrote:
Why does Dave Petroni act so arrogant at the meetings? He was incredibly disrespectful to Dr Kohls and the community members in the sudience. When Dr Kohls asked for a second and then call his name, Petroni looked straight ahead and didn't even acknowledge her. That sort of unprofessionalism isn't ignored. Dr Kohls deserves more respect than that. The audience didn't deserve to be berated and chastised while he unloaded his frustrations after he didn't get his way on the charter school issue. I hope Dr Kohls, as the BOE president, doesn't allow that sort of behavior again. She deserves better and so do the taxpayers that take the time to go out to the BOE meetings. It shouldn't be the Petroni Show, but that sure is what the production company wants to make it.
act so arrogant ? probably took lessons from Babb, Carlisle, Anderson, Baker...should I go on?
Lurker

Englewood, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2013

Judged:

I think you misjudged the crowd completely. We weren't there in support of the union. We were there in support of our great students, teachers and staffs.
Who Was That Proud One

Piqua, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2013

Judged:

Lurker wrote:
I think you misjudged the crowd completely. We weren't there in support of the union. We were there in support of our great students, teachers and staffs.
Who was that Proud One who Arrogantly turned his back on the Springboro Board of Education members, addressed his peeps in the audience; and started preaching to the students, teachers and staffs "oh how great you and I are?" We don't need no non-union outsiders studying how "academically left behind" we union- insiders are.
Who Was That Proud One

Piqua, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2013

Judged:

Lurker wrote:
Who was that boro proud one that arrogantly turned his back on the Springboro Board of Education members and addressed his peeps in the audience preaching to students, teachers and staffs, oh how great you and I are?

don't think the loud and disrespectful rowdy crowd, on January 10,
2013, seen jerring and protesting against the board's authority to do their job in the best interest of the whole community,(including school students, teachers, and staffs) was misjudged one bit.

This January 10, 2013, is correctly judged to be what it is:

just another re-run of the disrespectful behavior of the proud ones--jeering and protesting against the board's authority to do the job they were elected to do, by our community as a whole; of last year's March 2012 save malone drama (of which one judgement from one of our great students posting on this blog offers to our community to Vote for Revenge):
Student wrote:
Pro Malone here, wasn't a smart move on Petroni, Rigano, and Kohls part by skipping the board meeting last night. All current students at the high school will be able to vote come the end of their terms on the board. They will feel the voter's retribution.
It is the judgement of those community members/voters who are talking about this January 10 protest, that the priority of Mr. Petrey's District Parent Council should be reviewing THE MISSION of our school district and the responsibility of all to model and promote good citizenship.

When respect for authority breaks down in the classroom, on the school bus, in the boardroom, then the safety and security of our children is at risk.
Lurker

Englewood, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2013

Judged:

Who Was That Proud One wrote:
<quoted text>
Who was that Proud One who Arrogantly turned his back on the Springboro Board of Education members, addressed his peeps in the audience; and started preaching to the students, teachers and staffs "oh how great you and I are?" We don't need no non-union outsiders studying how "academically left behind" we union- insiders are.
He may have been the best speaker of the night!
Well Duh

Piqua, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2013

Judged:

Lurker wrote:
<quoted text>
He may have been the best speaker of the night!
Could be that....He may have been the best speaker of the night; BUT,only IF he was auditioning for the lead role in the 2013 production of Boro's Proud "Dumb and Dumber" peeps review.

All thumbs down for poor performance as a grown-up at a community-wide school board business meeting.
Lurker

Englewood, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2013

Judged:

Well Duh wrote:
<quoted text>
Could be that....He may have been the best speaker of the night; BUT,only IF he was auditioning for the lead role in the 2013 production of Boro's Proud "Dumb and Dumber" peeps review.
All thumbs down for poor performance as a grown-up at a community-wide school board business meeting.
I think the regular posters on this site already have filled those roles!
Keep It Simple

Piqua, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2013

Judged:

Just a Simple One wrote:
<quoted text>
Now Ima just a simple one, but alls Ima sayin, is through my status quo tunnel vision, only union teachers should be hired
to study edukaytion on my kids. They are already gifted; and we don't need no consulting workers hired in from the outside.
Dumb and Dumber Proud Ones can be runners up in the January 10 community comic review; but just a simple one takes the Blue Ribbon prize.
Just Watching

Cleveland, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 20, 2013

Judged:

I thought Mr. Webber gave a fine speech, he presents well to the public and made some impassioned pleas that seemed to resonate with the home crowd.

The one thing that appeared to be lacking in all of the pro Babb speakers was any concern for the 2000 plus kids in our district who just aren't getting it academically as well as the speakers' children.

I never heard word one from anyone that their child who wasn't getting everything from their education in our school district. All of the men and women who spoke had children in the gifted program that were doing great.
They expounded relentlessly how wonderful their children were doing and what great teachers their kids have enjoyed.

But not a word for the 2000 plus children who are struggling academically in this school district each year. Get out the school report card and do the math, 2000 plus kids would nearly fill our gym at a basketball game.

Where were the pleas for those 2000 plus children?

Instead we have a group of speakers imploring the district to maintain the status quo, a place where their children get the attention.

Self serving?

Perhaps just a bit.

Concern about others?

Not in the least.
Just Watching

Cleveland, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Judged:

A few more sites if you want information that is not forthcoming from our schools regarding these programs.

http://www.oagc.com/files/PS_EOpts.pdf

http://www.ode.state.oh.us/GD/Templates/Pages...

http://www.sinclair.edu/precollege/pseo/

http://www.units.muohio.edu/lifelonglearning/...

http://www.wright.edu/undergraduate-admission...

http://www.udayton.edu/apply/pseo.php

Call your child's counselor and ask for more information, your family could save tens of thousands of dollars in higher education costs.
Worth Repeating

Piqua, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Judged:

Sunday brunch wrote:
Do not blame guns.
Guns are not the problem.
The real problem is what drives people to want to kill in the first place.
Anger and envy are being encouraged by the entertainment and news media.
Video games teach foolish people that death isn't even permanent because the victim gets up and walks away.
Our real societal problem is a lack of self discipline or self control.
The real blame for any kiling goes to the psychologists who told us to express our anger and all of our emotions: "Let it all hang out". So today we have mass shootings, road rage, and muffin tops.
The ugliest truth is the fact that we don't care much about our children. We'll have them killed before they are born if they are viewed as inconvenient in our lives. After we allow them to be born we warehouse them in human kennels a.k.a. daycare centers. Then we send them to government run indoctrination centers where they are taught to hate and envy because there is no god. Before kids hit puberty, schools are teaching them sexual propaganda and we stand around sratching our heads wondering why our adult children are developing into such awful dysfunctional parents.
Meantime the schools continue to teach reading with methods they have known do not work for more than 50 years.
Again, do not blame guns.
A gun can not make a conscious decision.
A gun cannot pull its own trigger.
The key to ending this kind of violence is as an entire society, gradually changing the way we treat and view ourselves.
Time for Monday morning quarter-backing of the Don Miller January 10 boro proud God Loves Panthers (and no one else) pep rally, stirring up strife and division among community members.

What is the motive of board member Don Miller?
Don Miller led the battle for status quo in our student's future education during the past year: voting with Mr. Maney to reverse
the promotion of Ron Malone to central office position to serve in the best interest of higher academic achievements for all our students; voted against our children first budgeting plan that puts our classroom teachers needs FIRST in our budget; now here we are in 2013 with great challenges before us and all that board member Don Miller offers in problem solving our district's needs is just another "pep rally" in the high school auditorium with the same old status quo politics of personal destruction -- to distract, discredit, and attack the character of fellow board members who have a broader vision of our children's future than long time board member Don Miller's stagnant tunnel vision.
Those of us who voted for Don Miller's leadership on the board during the past two boad elections have now recognized that Mr. Miller has no vision with which to inspire us to greater achievements in our children's future; and Mr. Miller has proven that he has no respect for the broader vision that our reform minded elected officials project for our children's future.
We can no longer afford Mr. Miller's uneducated mantra "our public schools are doing fine" when the "facts and figures" show Springboro schools rating 110 among others within our state.
Just Watching

Cleveland, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Judged:

Keep your eye on the prize, not the obstructionist who insist on keeping the mushrooms in the cave feasting on the stuff that makes mushrooms grow.

2000 plus kids getting a substandard education that no teacher would grant as acceptable in their own homes.

Tens of thousands of dollars that can be saved by utilizing programs that have been in existence for over 16 years that have not been promoted in this district.

The amount of money we collectively, as a community, have lost out on just this past decade would run into the millions.

PEOS, why keep children hanging out in the high school when they have enough credits to graduate, when they could be earning college credits funded by this state program?

The state wants your child to do well. College is extremely expensive, to keep this program from the community at large is tantamount to criminal action.
Kids first

Piqua, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Judged:

There is no evidence that a single person either writing on this blog or attending any of the board meetings is not concerned about their childrens education. Although there is evidence that some people are more concerned with their wallet than anything else. So enough with the 2000 kids failing bit.

I will say there are plenty of parents that are questioning the actions of the board which is there full right to do so.

Regarding putting the kids first:
- Clearly define a need for a conversion school first! What will be the purpose of the school and what students will benefit from the school.

Will the school be like the Miamisburg conversion school and serve the drop-outs, previously incarcerated students, pregnant kids (all Miamisburg wording not mine). Or will the school be like Walnut Hills and serve only the high performing students (requiring the students to take an entrance exam just to attend), or is there some other student population that needs special attention.

I do not have an opinion yet regarding opening a conversion school in the district. That being said, I don't believe that researching into the feasability/profitability of adding a conversion school to the district before even identifying the need is putting our kids education first. From the sounds of it, if it is not revenue nuetral or if it costs the district money then it will not be done - period. So I ask you, how is that putting our kids education above our wallets?
hey Don

Girard, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Judged:

Get Real wrote:
<quoted text>
Boy you really are a one trick pony or should I say donkey. You know your paranoia is really taking over. First of all if you think that all of those that attended on the 10th were orchestrated by the SEA you're absolutely wrong. I have students in this district and I am a concerned parent. And if you think we should have a genuine open discussion, I agree but as i recall Dr. Kohls made it very clear that the meeting was a board meeting and there would be no back and forth. So I ask you how is that a discussion. Shouldn't the questions be answered or do you do everything Mr. Petroni suggests without question?
All members of this community were given equal opportunity to voice their opinions either pre-planned or in response to agenda items. A list of 15 pre-planned speakers had been completely filled up by mid-morning of that day, so many, that each speaker was limited to 2 minutes. Put yourself in the shoes of the board members. There was NO WAY Kohls could allow that meeting to dissolve into an incomprehensible two-way argument.

If you are a parent and you're not getting the answers you're looking for regarding conversion schools, first of all I suggest that you separate yourself from those within this district who attach themselves to a collective agenda that doesn't wholly and equally support the futures of...ALL...Springboro school students.
Just Watching

Cleveland, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 21, 2013

Judged:

Kids first wrote:
There is no evidence that a single person either writing on this blog or attending any of the board meetings is not concerned about their childrens education. Although there is evidence that some people are more concerned with their wallet than anything else. So enough with the 2000 kids failing bit.
I will say there are plenty of parents that are questioning the actions of the board which is there full right to do so.
Regarding putting the kids first:
- Clearly define a need for a conversion school first! What will be the purpose of the school and what students will benefit from the school.
Will the school be like the Miamisburg conversion school and serve the drop-outs, previously incarcerated students, pregnant kids (all Miamisburg wording not mine). Or will the school be like Walnut Hills and serve only the high performing students (requiring the students to take an entrance exam just to attend), or is there some other student population that needs special attention.
I do not have an opinion yet regarding opening a conversion school in the district. That being said, I don't believe that researching into the feasability/profitability of adding a conversion school to the district before even identifying the need is putting our kids education first. From the sounds of it, if it is not revenue nuetral or if it costs the district money then it will not be done - period. So I ask you, how is that putting our kids education above our wallets?
I am glad your child is doing well, but we still have a collective responsibility to the 2000 + children who are not doing as well in our school system. Our schools system does not evolve around your child or mine, but rather all of them. And when over 37% are not getting the grade, we all have a problem.

The reason one would do an investigation is to uncover those opportunities that we seem to be missing within our school district. How can we discern the nature and depth of our ignorance in this area if we fear to ask questions of people whose sole purpose is to study these things?

We can make this school anything we desire. We can literally reinvent the wheel if we just maintain a few simple state mandated standards.

There are still 2000+ kids out there who are not getting the education they both need and deserve. How we integrate this potential piece of the puzzle into our existing program of studies so more children have a greater chance to excell will be determined by what we discover.

Don't be afraid to challenge the authority, but please have a better plan than maintaing the status quo. 2000+ of our kids don't deserve to be locked into that fate just because your kid is supposedly doing fine.
Stay Focused

Piqua, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Judged:

Just Watching wrote:
When I read the blogs of all those proclaiming everything about our school district to be AMAZING, I am saddened by the lack of intellectual honesty being portrayed.
We as a community have it as our duty to educate all of the children of our neighborhoods to the highest degree possible. Too often it seems as though we see the bar set by the state as an absolute minimum as that degree. It pains me to watch people cheer and clap that 97% of our children meet the absolute minimum state standards. As if somehow meeting the absolute minimum absolves us of our responsibility to do anything more.
We do have some truly great teachers within our district, but they are the exception rather than the rule. Time alone does not make one a great educator.
When I see the class of 2014 I see a class that has:
8 kids out of 380 that can write a coherent thought
(2% scored above 74%)
130 kids out of 380 who could read and comprehend that thought
(34% scored above 74%)
200 kids out of 380 understand some really basic science
(53% scored above 74%)
220 kids out of 380 that understand our history, government, citizenship rights, or where people and places are located
(58% scored above 74%)
243 kids out of 380 can do basic math skills
(64% scored above 74%)
The practice tests along with there answers are available for your perusal on the ODE website. You will cry when you read many of the questions and the subsequent multiple choice answers.
What this test measures is what our children have learned in elementary, junior high, and their freshman year in high school.
This is what we are celebrating and cheering for when we applaud.
Thank you for keeping us focused on these challenges facing our students and teachers. We must not allow ourselves to be swayed by the lazy mind of OSBA trained board member Don Miller. Mr. Miller's lazy mind appears focused on leading our students to invest all their time in rallying for Teachers Union rights of greater empowerment over our school tax dollars; while Springboro families and taxpaying homeowners have voted for our children first budgeting with our school tax dollars. Why is Mr. Miller working for the collective rights of the Springboro Education Association; instead of working for greater academic achievement opportunities for each individual student?

"There are lazy minds as well as lazy bodies."
-Benjamin Franklin
Kids first

Piqua, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Judged:

Just Watching wrote:
<quoted text>
I am glad your child is doing well, but we still have a collective responsibility to the 2000 + children who are not doing as well in our school system. Our schools system does not evolve around your child or mine, but rather all of them. And when over 37% are not getting the grade, we all have a problem.
The reason one would do an investigation is to uncover those opportunities that we seem to be missing within our school district. How can we discern the nature and depth of our ignorance in this area if we fear to ask questions of people whose sole purpose is to study these things?
We can make this school anything we desire. We can literally reinvent the wheel if we just maintain a few simple state mandated standards.
There are still 2000+ kids out there who are not getting the education they both need and deserve. How we integrate this potential piece of the puzzle into our existing program of studies so more children have a greater chance to excell will be determined by what we discover.
Don't be afraid to challenge the authority, but please have a better plan than maintaing the status quo. 2000+ of our kids don't deserve to be locked into that fate just because your kid is supposedly doing fine.
Just Watching - if you are going to reply to my post then maybe you should read the post. Also, how do you know my child is doing well - very curious reply.

First off, I never disagreed that there are many kids that don't score well on the tests and that there is most likely more the school district can do to educate all our children. That was not the point of the post.

My point was to discuss the conversion school proposal. The Callender Group presented a proposal to the district to do some research into our community and the feasibility of starting a conversion school within our district. Before the proposal is approved I had a question (that has yet to be answered); what kids would be served by this new school? If we don't have an answer to that, I don't understand why a feasibility study is needed. The Callender study will not "uncover those opportunities that we seem to be missing within our school" they will mearly identify the funding requirements to open a new school (phase one doesn't even look at our student population at all). If the Callender Group indicates there is profitability in starting a converstion school then we as a district will need to determine who will benefit (not an easy task - how do you prioritize the needs). My second question is this: if we are so determined to put kids first, then what do we say if the results of the Callender group study says the school will cost the district more money - do we then say we can't afford it and sorry to the kids that could possibly benefit from the school? How is that putting kids first?

If the Callender proposal is going away and will not be voted on, then I agree - let's move on to figuring out how to improve the education within Springoboro.
blogg this

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 22, 2013

Judged:

This letter comes from
-10,000 Moms United
www.10000MomsUnited.com
It appears they know more than the goons of last Jan. 10th meeting. Maybe they have not talked to Lisa who thinks we are all perfect just like 50% of the schools in this State rated Excellent and ED. Why change it if we are perfect now. You lie, that's why.
Come on David Bowman, just look at this web site and look at our scores, get educated about what "Proficient" means. Then tell us no changes are necessary.

Please look at the numbers. See how many of our students fail the State exams and are still called "Proficient". You can't know any of these #'s and call us excellent, you can't look someone in the eye and say that, or can you Lisa?

10,000 moms write
Dear elected officials,

We love our schools, and the teachers who work so hard to help our kids.

But as parents, we see too many of our children failing to reach their full potential. That’s not acceptable.

We all have a stake in getting this right because we all pay the price when our children get through school without mastering the skills and knowledge they need to succeed in life.

When 41 percent of Ohio graduates going on to public colleges need remediation just to be able to do freshman work, one thing is clear: our schools are broken and, as taxpayers, we’re being cheated.

Even our very best schools can and need to be much better. As moms, we won’t settle for anything but the best for our children. You, as our elected officials, shouldn’t either.

We want our children challenged and motivated. We want schools that encourage students to do better and learn more, and, above all, that prepare them for career success.

But we’re not getting that right now even though school spending is at an all time high, and keeps on rising

Enough is enough. We must act today to better prepare our children for tomorrow.

Every Ohio child can perform at a higher level than our schools currently demand. It is time for children to be put first, for adults in the system to step back, and for political leadership to have the courage to act forcefully to ensure that our schools meet these expectations.

Are you, elected officials, listening to us?

Sincerely,

The Undersigned

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••