Our recommendation: Springboro voters should say 'yes' the first time to school levies

Feb 5, 2008 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Dayton Daily News

Recommended local sites More... UD sports info, pictures and discussions Are you a UD sports fan? Whether you like basketball, volleyball, soccer, men's or women's teams -- Doesn't matter -- this site is for ... via Dayton Daily News

Comments (Page 1,136)

Showing posts 22,701 - 22,720 of31,009
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
george o the jungle

Germantown, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#23092
Jan 19, 2013
 
Observer wrote:
<quoted text>
According to Mr. Long, you remember, the guy we could not live without, he gets stacks upon stacks of applications for single openings in this district.
No doubt George would claim he still does.
Get Real

Piqua, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#23093
Jan 19, 2013
 

Judged:

4

4

4

Just Watching wrote:
<quoted text>
This has been ongoing for a number of years. When I spoke in February with Mr. Collins he informed me his greatest difficulty in getting kids to take the test were other kids dissuading them from doing that much work.
My guess is if we let the parents decide early enough in a child's education you would find greater and more successful participation not just in the A/P program but in the entire educational system.
Yet Lebanon parents will pay less for college than your average Springboro parent because twice as many of them have already earned college credits without spending a dime on college tuition.
Celebrating the fact that they have 40% of their kids not getting it and we only have 37% not getting it is a not much to be celebrating.
And considering most of the Proficient scores are failing grades (less than 63%) that amounts to a double whammy and even less to celebrate.
Take a look at the cut scores, this is not just a local issue, it is endemic throughout the state.
While we can't do anything about it elsewhere, we can most certainly change the tune and expectations in Springboro.
You mentioned "if we let the Parents decide early enough in a child's education ...." Not sure what you meant by that but I have a question. Wouldn't having an all day kindergarten give the children that much more to start with? There is so much talk on this site about putting the children's education first but when it comes down to it if it will cost any extra money then in reality our wallets come first.

I agree Springboro could be doing so much more for their kids. Lets offer more AP classes, lets have more intervention in the elementary schools, lets not let any kids down.
Citizens Alert

Piqua, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#23094
Jan 19, 2013
 

Judged:

3

3

3

Get Real wrote:
<quoted text>
You mentioned "if we let the Parents decide early enough in a child's education ...." Not sure what you meant by that but I have a question. Wouldn't having an all day kindergarten give the children that much more to start with? There is so much talk on this site about putting the children's education first but when it comes down to it if it will cost any extra money then in reality our wallets come first.
I agree Springboro could be doing so much more for their kids. Lets offer more AP classes, lets have more intervention in the elementary schools, lets not let any kids down.
No! having all day kindergarten would not give the children that much more to start with. All day kindergarten would serve only in the best interest of the union "having that much more to start with" by hiring additonal teachers, who in turn would be taxed highly by the SEA union dues for the right to work in Springboro Schools.
Mr. Petrey has already sent out to parents to come explore how costs for all day kindergarten could be met; doesn't Mr. Petrey know that the community has already voted down board member Don Miller's bid for charging taxpayers for his "million dollar a year" all day kindergarten program?
This suggestion for exploring all day kindergarten is further proof that the wants of the Wallets of the Teachers Union are top priority of the SEA over the individuals needs of children.
Just Watching

Springfield, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#23095
Jan 19, 2013
 

Judged:

3

3

3

Get Real wrote:
<quoted text>
You mentioned "if we let the Parents decide early enough in a child's education ...." Not sure what you meant by that but I have a question. Wouldn't having an all day kindergarten give the children that much more to start with? There is so much talk on this site about putting the children's education first but when it comes down to it if it will cost any extra money then in reality our wallets come first.
I agree Springboro could be doing so much more for their kids. Lets offer more AP classes, lets have more intervention in the elementary schools, lets not let any kids down.
Much like head start programs that show so much promise, these programs early advantages disappear by third grade. Money could be spent in other areas to gain a more lasting impact on a child's education. There is nothing like peaking in the third grade.

Let's put that money to work where it will gain us the pathways to better final results and classes in high school.'
Waste Wa tchers

Piqua, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#23096
Jan 19, 2013
 

Judged:

4

1

1

Remember that big protest, led by board member Don Miller and SEA activists on January 10, against investing $15,000 of our school tax dollars hiring a non-union professional consulting group to explore why Springboro should consider a conversion school?
(Remember that waste of time that was allowed the boro proud public participants, who ignored the issue, and focused on attacking the character of those representatives on the board?)
We may want to brace ourselves for another one of those roudy prideful demonstrations of clapping and praising the Athletic Department at the January 22 school board meeting.
The meeting agenda is posted on board docs; which includes the request from the HR director asking the board for approval to hire sixteen employees for HS athletic events. The amount of salary to be paid is not posted; but it will be interesting to see if board member Don Miller questions this expense to the taxpayer as "wasteful."
hey Don

Germantown, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#23097
Jan 19, 2013
 

Judged:

2

2

1

Waste Wa tchers wrote:
Remember that big protest, led by board member Don Miller and SEA activists on January 10, against investing $15,000 of our school tax dollars hiring a non-union professional consulting group to explore why Springboro should consider a conversion school?
(Remember that waste of time that was allowed the boro proud public participants, who ignored the issue, and focused on attacking the character of those representatives on the board?)
We may want to brace ourselves for another one of those roudy prideful demonstrations of clapping and praising the Athletic Department at the January 22 school board meeting.
The meeting agenda is posted on board docs; which includes the request from the HR director asking the board for approval to hire sixteen employees for HS athletic events. The amount of salary to be paid is not posted; but it will be interesting to see if board member Don Miller questions this expense to the taxpayer as "wasteful."
Don Miller quote from 1/10 board meeting..."I would to see district officials conduct a study of all options, not just a conversion school".

Mr. Miller, you're a official in Springboro schools, correct? And you don't like the idea of spending $15,000 for the Calendar Group to conduct a study? Then why don't you take a break from those weekly developmental speech annunciation sessions so that you and your constituents can research alternative ways to better serve struggling as well as gifted Springboro students?
The January 10th board meeting was nothing less than a pre-planned filibuster orchestrated by SEA teachers against having any genuine public open discussion of a conversion school. Bully Boro teachers can't or won't think outside the perimeter of their respective union cards long enough to honestly give a rat's ### about students in this district who are genuinely struggling, or are gifted and are struggling because they are no longer being challenged.
So you don't like Plan A that was tabeled 1/10? OK. Fine. Let's see you come up with Plan B.
You can just forget about trying to convince the people of this district that NOTHING needs to be done to enhance the educations of certain Springboro student segments.
Reality Bytes

Piqua, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#23098
Jan 19, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

certainly worth repeating wrote:
<quoted text>
Read the Callender contract, the one section that talks about students is the smallest in the entire contract. They don't talk about how they would assess our school population or if they will come up with only one type of school or provide us with an option to choose from. The majority of the contract focuses on money and how other districts operate their conversion schools (lease of buildings, contracts for operations, shared services, collective bargaining agreements, etc.). While your looking at the contract, notice the primary project advisors, they are lawyers and a treasurer/fiscal officer. The one individual that is listed as an education consultant focuses on the legislative, regulatory, and administrative processes within the education, wind energy and publishing industries.
I'm all for looking into opportunities for our kids but is this contract, and is this group the best suited? How are they going to judge our students needs and how are they going to define any advantages to our students?
How many ways can an indoctrinated SEA protester parrot the same old tunnel vision mantra: I don't want my child in a classroom with no union teacher...I don't want my school taxes spent on contracts with outsiders...I don't want my child in a classroom with no union teacher...I don't want my school taxes spent on contract with outsiders.... Is this narrow minded paranoia projected by the SEA/union activists a healthy influence on our children's future?
Get Real

Piqua, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#23099
Jan 19, 2013
 

Judged:

3

3

3

hey Don wrote:
<quoted text>
Don Miller quote from 1/10 board meeting..."I would to see district officials conduct a study of all options, not just a conversion school".
Mr. Miller, you're a official in Springboro schools, correct? And you don't like the idea of spending $15,000 for the Calendar Group to conduct a study? Then why don't you take a break from those weekly developmental speech annunciation sessions so that you and your constituents can research alternative ways to better serve struggling as well as gifted Springboro students?
The January 10th board meeting was nothing less than a pre-planned filibuster orchestrated by SEA teachers against having any genuine public open discussion of a conversion school. Bully Boro teachers can't or won't think outside the perimeter of their respective union cards long enough to honestly give a rat's ### about students in this district who are genuinely struggling, or are gifted and are struggling because they are no longer being challenged.
So you don't like Plan A that was tabeled 1/10? OK. Fine. Let's see you come up with Plan B.
You can just forget about trying to convince the people of this district that NOTHING needs to be done to enhance the educations of certain Springboro student segments.
Boy you really are a one trick pony or should I say donkey. You know your paranoia is really taking over. First of all if you think that all of those that attended on the 10th were orchestrated by the SEA you're absolutely wrong. I have students in this district and I am a concerned parent. And if you think we should have a genuine open discussion, I agree but as i recall Dr. Kohls made it very clear that the meeting was a board meeting and there would be no back and forth. So I ask you how is that a discussion. Shouldn't the questions be answered or do you do everything Mr. Petroni suggests without question?
Contradiction

Piqua, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#23100
Jan 19, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Just watching, your senility is showing. First you say that we need to focus on early education to help students throughout there years in school and now you are saying we should put money towards AP classes and not worry about elementary school students. Which is it? And may I remind you, we don't have any extra money.
Just Watching

Springfield, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#23101
Jan 19, 2013
 
I believe what I reported was that other schools had many more A/P classes than we offered. The primary criteria for rating high schools by USNEWS was college readiness, A/P courses serve that function.

We have chosen other strategies of education in Springboro over the past decade or so. Our children and parents are paying the price for those policies.

While the world continues to evolve ever more rapidly, certain elements seem intent on maintaining the status quo. Unlike the Congress, which seldom or ever repeals a law, but adds more daily, our school system can reinvent itself while divesting itself of unproductive, resource hogging classes while introducing contemporary offerings that are relevant to today's economy.

Early education is paramount for building a strong foundation for the child's educational future. Given our Superintendent's background and expertise in this area, I believe he can move that expectations and results bar dramatically given his existing base of resources already within our system. If I am not mistaken, Mr. Petrey has already begun work in these areas to assure every child will be getting the education they deserve.
Just Watching

Springfield, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#23102
Jan 19, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Get Real wrote:
<quoted text>
Boy you really are a one trick pony or should I say donkey. You know your paranoia is really taking over. First of all if you think that all of those that attended on the 10th were orchestrated by the SEA you're absolutely wrong. I have students in this district and I am a concerned parent. And if you think we should have a genuine open discussion, I agree but as i recall Dr. Kohls made it very clear that the meeting was a board meeting and there would be no back and forth. So I ask you how is that a discussion. Shouldn't the questions be answered or do you do everything Mr. Petroni suggests without question?
I think that is the point of engaging someone who studies this narrow focus of law. The more we learn, the more questions will arise, the greater the opportunity to discover other options and or answers.

The downside to exploring opportunities is what?

I thought schools were about learning and expanding horizons.

This bitter opposition to knowledge strikes me as Luddite in nature.
Get real

Piqua, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#23103
Jan 20, 2013
 

Judged:

2

2

2

Just Watching wrote:
<quoted text>
I think that is the point of engaging someone who studies this narrow focus of law. The more we learn, the more questions will arise, the greater the opportunity to discover other options and or answers.
The downside to exploring opportunities is what?
I thought schools were about learning and expanding horizons.
This bitter opposition to knowledge strikes me as Luddite in nature.
There are questions that need to be answered BEFORE we dole out $15K.
But will the next meeting be the same, smiles from the board as the community (yes community members not SEA followers) ask questions and not get answers. My guess, there will be a lot more questions brought up at the next meeting, lots of smiles from the board members, and in the end the board will vote to approve the contract. So how does any of our parents learn anything by that.
blogg this

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#23104
Jan 20, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Get Real wrote:
<quoted text>
Boy you really are a one trick pony or should I say donkey. You know your paranoia is really taking over. First of all if you think that all of those that attended on the 10th were orchestrated by the SEA you're absolutely wrong. I have students in this district and I am a concerned parent. And if you think we should have a genuine open discussion, I agree but as i recall Dr. Kohls made it very clear that the meeting was a board meeting and there would be no back and forth. So I ask you how is that a discussion. Shouldn't the questions be answered or do you do everything Mr. Petroni suggests without question?
Where is Tina scoff. Tina this person used a lower case i, omg you better call her on it.

If you want to discuss something why not contact the source? Why not contact board members? Why? You have not done that, why? Because you don't want to be bothered with the facts. You only want to believe the union activism and get angry about nothing. You look really stupid for not doing any homework and making up stuff as you go. Having kids in the district does not make you all knowing about what kids need and does not make you the speaker for other parents. Many many many parents contact board members and any of them that get the facts are very interested in opportunities for kids and yes they feel that their kid could be benefited by options and that those options should be investigated.
More Scary

Piqua, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#23105
Jan 20, 2013
 

Judged:

2

2

2

really scary wrote:
<quoted text>
This is kinda scary as he talks to himself. Anonymous teacher=Dave Bowman. I wonder if Mr Bowman was a NFSS member?
Bowman? Don't we have teachers named Bowman?
The scary thing about this latest January 10 protest in the Springboro High School Auditorium shown to the community is the cheering and jeering of the SEA/union activists/parents rallying hooray at the gang-bullying attack on the character of an elected official (who is a hard working good neighbor in this community and a parent of young children).

Why all the hostility from the SEA/union activists against taxpaying school district voters who do not produce "the fruit of their loins" as a living sacrifice to teachers union alters?

The answer to the "WHY" is Simply because this Springboro parent/board representative is from the "Outside" and not one of the union "Insiders" like Springboro parent/board representative Don Miller.

Should our narrow-minded board member Don Miller, and his Community drama queen/former school board candidate Lisa Babb, not step aside and allow the new philosophy of our reform-minded elected board representatives continue doing what's right for our children's future and our community as a whole?
Get real

Piqua, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#23106
Jan 20, 2013
 

Judged:

2

1

1

blogg this wrote:
<quoted text>
Where is Tina scoff. Tina this person used a lower case i, omg you better call her on it.
If you want to discuss something why not contact the source? Why not contact board members? Why? You have not done that, why? Because you don't want to be bothered with the facts. You only want to believe the union activism and get angry about nothing. You look really stupid for not doing any homework and making up stuff as you go. Having kids in the district does not make you all knowing about what kids need and does not make you the speaker for other parents. Many many many parents contact board members and any of them that get the facts are very interested in opportunities for kids and yes they feel that their kid could be benefited by options and that those options should be investigated.
I HAVE AND HAVE NOT GOTTEN ANY ANSWERS TO MY VERY POINTED QUESTIONS.
Who Do You Trust

Piqua, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#23107
Jan 20, 2013
 

Judged:

2

2

2

Get real wrote:
<quoted text>
There are questions that need to be answered BEFORE we dole out $15K.
But will the next meeting be the same, smiles from the board as the community (yes community members not SEA followers) ask questions and not get answers. My guess, there will be a lot more questions brought up at the next meeting, lots of smiles from the board members, and in the end the board will vote to approve the contract. So how does any of our parents learn anything by that.
Whether or not the contract is brought back for board approval or not, we can trust that Don Miller will have smiles only for our Springboro families and their children wearing the union-masters label; we can trust that Don Miller will whine and complain that those board members who have been elected from the "outside community" must be scrutinized and interrogated, and their character attacked, until these "outsider board members" break down and resign from the board, thereby, submitting to Don Miller's agenda of lower standards for our children's future of the "has been" rating of an excellent with distinction school.
(we can trust that our children first budgeting reform minded board representatives are not going to give in to this "peer pressure" bullying of Don Miller and District Parent Council members Lisa Babb and Tiffany Carlisle).
The SEA/union activists/parents of "protest" since early 2012 (against everything that our BOE majority proposes) are not going to learn anything about a better way of doing things as long as they blindly follow the stagnated tunnel vision of OSBA indoctrinated board member Don Miller.
Don Miller and Lisa Babb continue leadinging the charge of politics of personal destruction against our children first budgeting board members in their relentless political campaign to distrupt, distract, and discredit the character and the children first budgeting agenda of reform-minded board members Dr. Kohls, Mr. Petroni, and Mr. Rigano.
Lurker

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#23108
Jan 20, 2013
 

Judged:

4

4

2

Most of the people who did talk on Jan 10th did back up their opinions with facts.

The board didn't seem to care much about facts.
Inquiring Minds

Piqua, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#23109
Jan 20, 2013
 

Judged:

4

3

3

Get real wrote:
<quoted text>
I HAVE AND HAVE NOT GOTTEN ANY ANSWERS TO MY VERY POINTED QUESTIONS.
If you are interested in getting REAL answers to your questions on the issues (instead of focusing on public grandstanding and character attack, as was witnessed on January 10; and can be witnessed in the blog website of parent David Bowman);

please visit the website below:

http://educatespringboro.wordpress.com/2013/0...
Facing Problems

Piqua, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#23110
Jan 20, 2013
 

Judged:

3

3

3

Lurker wrote:
Most of the people who did talk on Jan 10th did back up their opinions with facts.
The board didn't seem to care much about facts.
Most of the people did not "talk" on January 10;
most grandstanded during pre-arranged public participation, proudly performing poorly their presentations of how their family ran their denistry business; how another fixed up a used car vs buying a new one; one mocked the board saying more could be learned by googling than could be learned from board leadership; another urged spending more money on teacher professional development; some urged the board to use the union experts on the inside to conduct the survey, instead of hiring professionals from the outside.
All of these "presenters" were merely lining up in response to Lisa Babb's email out to the community sending alarm that the board's decisions to consider a "non-union" contract with a professional group would harm our kids education by "weakening the services of the Springboro Community Assistance Program."
Let's get real, Springboro! Let's send a message to our school superintendent and board of education members to put board policy into effort to end this hyjacking of our public board meetings
by the self-serving community activists drama club.(fortunately soon it will be spring/summer and they can go back to the park to rally against doing everything in the best interest of our children first.
contract me

Cincinnati, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#23112
Jan 20, 2013
 

Judged:

3

1

1

Why does Dave Petroni act so arrogant at the meetings? He was incredibly disrespectful to Dr Kohls and the community members in the sudience. When Dr Kohls asked for a second and then call his name, Petroni looked straight ahead and didn't even acknowledge her. That sort of unprofessionalism isn't ignored. Dr Kohls deserves more respect than that. The audience didn't deserve to be berated and chastised while he unloaded his frustrations after he didn't get his way on the charter school issue. I hope Dr Kohls, as the BOE president, doesn't allow that sort of behavior again. She deserves better and so do the taxpayers that take the time to go out to the BOE meetings. It shouldn't be the Petroni Show, but that sure is what the production company wants to make it.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 22,701 - 22,720 of31,009
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••