Our recommendation: Springboro voters should say 'yes' the first time to school levies

Feb 5, 2008 Full story: Dayton Daily News 31,265

Recommended local sites More... UD sports info, pictures and discussions Are you a UD sports fan? Whether you like basketball, volleyball, soccer, men's or women's teams -- Doesn't matter -- this site is for ... via Dayton Daily News

Full Story
Waste Watchers

Piqua, OH

#22954 Jan 12, 2013
Boro Future Bright wrote:
Last night proved to me we need a new Treasurer. Our Treasurer was ready to put a replacement levy on the ballot in FEB without any research, data gathering or due dilligence. In all honesty she didn't seem very intellegent but to give her benefit of the doubt she could have been nervous about the cameras.
She was ready to spend the money to put it on the ballot in FEB so if it fail we could spend more money in August and November if needed. That is goverment/public sector thought process. It's beyond comprehension for me. She would last about a week in the private sector.
Same old questionable lack of intelligence at the January 10 board meeting from our school treasurer that she always displays at public meetings.
Don't think the cameras had anything to do with her coy silliness projected, because that has been observed in her leadership style from the beginning of her employment.
She has developed no broader vision of the financial management
of our children first budgeting plan, since it has been implemented and adopted by our local school board;
instead her professional expertise seems to be stagnated somewhere in the sewer of La-La Levy Land; during meetings she often flutters her eyelashes and speaks baby talk about other school districts that promote the OSBA philosophy of promoting a continuous stream of new levies on the ballot.
Ah...the good old days of status quo...
Just Watching

Cleveland, OH

#22955 Jan 12, 2013
Grade 6 Cut Scores and Scoring Bands on the 2011 OAA tests

Reading
Advanced.......76%-100%
Accelerated.....61%-75%
Proficient.........35%-60%

If a student was able to answer 17 out of 49 questions correctly they were deemed Proficient in Reading.

Springboro had 172 students out of 502 students in the 6th grade class fall in the Proficient or below category

Math
Advanced.......68%-100%
Accelerated....58%-67%
Proficient........40%-57%

If a student was able to answer 20 out of 50 questions correctly they were deemed Proficient in Math.

Springboro had 127 students our of 502 students in the 6th grade class falling the Proficient or below category.

How many were Proficient or below in both categories?

Page 12

http://www.oagc.com/files/OAGC_Grading_On_A_C...
its miller tyme

Germantown, OH

#22956 Jan 12, 2013
Just Watching wrote:
Reading
Advanced.......76%-100%
Accelerated.....61%-75%
If a student was able to answer 17 out of 49 questions correctly they were deemed Proficient in Reading.
Springboro had 172 students out of 502 students in the 6th grade class fall in the Proficient or below category
Regarding the ability to read, we have a board member with the initials D.M. who may have serious difficulty in attaining a 6th grade rating of proficient.
Please tell the truth

Springboro, OH

#22957 Jan 12, 2013
Just Watching wrote:
For the sake of edification, in 2011 the cut scores and scoring bands were for the 7th grade defined as:
READING
Advanced 81%-100%(I guess this explains why so many are "gifted")
Accelerated 66%-80%
Proficient 45%-65%(45%=Proficient)
172 kids out of 413 in the class scored LESS than 65%
MATH
Advanced 72%-100%
Accelerated 58%-71%
Proficient 32%-57%(32%=Proficient)
140 kids out of 413 in the class scored LESS than 57%
Tell those parents and those children how AMAZING their education is today.
Blog this Mr Bowman.
So sorry he forgot to thank our education system more. Your lips are purple Mr. Bowman give them a rest.

The system sucks not our teachers no one ever said that it was their faults but you have implied it is their faults. We support them we don't support the lies that we are doing great and it is all because of them. We suck and it is because of the system failing our kids and we all need to see and say it and fix it. Mr Bowman stop the denial.
Old Student

Harpster, OH

#22958 Jan 12, 2013
Just Watching wrote:
Reading
Advanced.......76%-100%
Accelerated.....61%-75%
Math
Advanced.......68%-100%
Accelerated....58%-67%
If a student was able to answer 20 out of 50 questions correctly they were deemed Proficient in Math.
Springboro had 127 students our of 502 students in the 6th grade class falling the Proficient or below category.
Page 12
Score 76% on the Reading test and you are Advanced in your studies? When I went to school that was a C-.

And 68% on a Math test got you a solid D, not ranked as one of the top students.
Waste Watchers

Piqua, OH

#22959 Jan 12, 2013
its miller tyme wrote:
<quoted text>
Regarding the ability to read, we have a board member with the initials D.M. who may have serious difficulty in attaining a 6th grade rating of proficient.
Our children's future individual achievements in education can accelerate no higher than the VISION that parents, teachers, community members, and school board representatives set forth as the mission of this school district.

While Mr. Miller focused on the wasteful spending of investing in a feasibility study that could return in benefits for our childrens's future; it should be noted that money is not the only resource that we should be watchful not to waste.

What about the waste of time and unproductive service rendered to our schools and community by Springboro Board of Education representative, Don Miller?
Just as we expect a year's growth in the achievements of our children at the end of the school year; shouldn't taxpayers expect a year of growth in the leadership of our educators and elected school board representatives? Why is Don Miller starting out his 2013 year of service as BOE representative exactly the way he started out in 2012-- just voting No No No on every opportunity to show himself as a leader who puts our children's best interest priority over the politics of personal destruction undermining the children first budgeting school board members achievements for our children's future?

It is troubling to see members of our school superintendent's district parent council (including Lisa Babb and Tiffany Carlisle) led by board member Don Miller, conducting these time wasting, disgusting, collective public protests against Springboro Board of Education members, such as community members witnessed at the January 10 meeting;
because one of the school superintendent's district goals for his parents council is:

"Establish an enviroment of trust and transparency with community, staff, and the Springboro Board of Education."
I would ask Mr. Petrey why in the world is his chosen few union activists doing anything except wasting time and resources with their relentless apolitical agenda of dividing the Board of Education leadership and conquering for political gain of empowering the Teachers Union?

It could be that Mr. Petrey should evaluate this performance that his teaching staff and district parent council presents
to Springboro families and taxpaying homeowners;
and address this disruptive behavior being carried on throughout our community by school staff members, PTO moms, and parent council members; before he and Don Miller and Tracy Jarvis bring up getting that emergency levy on the ballot as fast as you can, regardless of the cost to taxpayers.

Don Miller was so embellished with excitement and empowerment of the bully union activists kind that he accelerated the "no tax increase Renewal Levy" to an emergency levy! Big difference, Mr. Miller. The only emergency on the 2013 school district ballot will be excusing you and your "no vision nor inspiration" lack of leadership as a board representative.
Waste Watchers

Piqua, OH

#22960 Jan 12, 2013
Forgot to mention in my above post:
Thank you to the board member who corrected the term "emergency levy" to Renewal Levy (which means no new taxes).
Just Watching

Cleveland, OH

#22961 Jan 12, 2013
When levies are the topic of discussion, money is no object, we can easily afford to spend $57,000 trying to pass levies.

When kids futures are in play, money is too valuable to spend on investigating alternatives to places where more than a third of the students are failing.

Who could have seen that one coming.
Please tell the truth

Springboro, OH

#22962 Jan 13, 2013
Just Watching wrote:
Reading
Advanced.......76%-100%
Accelerated.....61%-75%
Math
Advanced.......68%-100%
Accelerated....58%-67%
Springboro had 127 students our of 502 students in the 6th grade class falling in the Proficient or below category.
Page 12
http://www.oagc.com/file/OAGC_Grading_On_A_C ...
Wait, you mean that my child that is "Proficient" in several categories on these exams actually Failed these categories,and the truth is that we call that good and give it no attention? Are you telling me that this is acceptable in all schools?
I can't believe that. We celebrate failing grades on these exams. OK but don't we have 5% of our students that are special needs and on IEP's so why would we have over 30% of our students failing (D or below) these exams. Do we actually have over 30% special needs and as I hear, 40% gifted? That means we have 30% in the middle?
Great job

Springboro, OH

#22963 Jan 13, 2013
Just Watching wrote:
Reading
Advanced.......76%-100%
Accelerated.....61%-75%
Math
Advanced.......68%-100%
Accelerated....58%-67%
Page 12
Interesting story, my neighbor has a child that was in Springboro schools and he can not hold a pencil, speak a word, wipe him rear, he understand little to nothing. His test scores come back and he is advanced on everything. How is that his parents asked. He was told that an aid can take the test for him when she asks the questions and he shakes his head she can tell what the right answer is. So if we have these special needs students really scoring Advanced because an aid takes the exam for them,who are the Proficient"? The Proficient must be those students that don't get an aid taking the exam for them. Imagine what the scores would be if these special needs students were also included in the Proficient.
certainly worth repeating

Germantown, OH

#22964 Jan 13, 2013
Just Watching wrote:
When levies are the topic of discussion, money is no object, we can easily afford to spend $57,000 trying to pass levies.
When kids futures are in play, money is too valuable to spend on investigating alternatives to places where more than a third of the students are failing.
Hello

West Chester, OH

#22965 Jan 13, 2013
Opinion vs Facts wrote:
<quoted text>
Hello???
Not taking my time to go back into school board minutes to prove anything to you, because a supplemental contract approving Tina Schrof's position as substitute teacher was voted on and approved
last fall. That's a fact.
In my opinion, levy lady and union activist Tina Schrof, is not a role model of good citizenship for our children, our school community and our community as a whole; and I opposed my school tax dollars being wasted on Tina Schrof's contract. But, when I spoke my opinion to our school leaders, I was told that Tina had been employed for some time.
As our union activist board member Don Miller repeated at the January 10 meeting, that's alls ima sayin.
Oh my ..... not sure what minutes you are looking at!! She is not a teacher ..... but an aide sub. She is not part of any union, but she is a concerned parent and resident in Springboro!! Ha - proved you wrong......Oh, and no contract!!
she is too

Springboro, OH

#22966 Jan 13, 2013
Hello wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh my ..... not sure what minutes you are looking at!! She is not a teacher ..... but an aide sub. She is not part of any union, but she is a concerned parent and resident in Springboro!! Ha - proved you wrong......Oh, and no contract!!
OK, ask her. Are you a teacher in the district? If she says no, she is lying. My son has had her as a teacher and btw Lisa Babb is also a teacher. Btw many of the NFSS people are teachers and district employees and spouses. All of the attendees at Thursday nights meeting were the same.
Hello

West Chester, OH

#22967 Jan 13, 2013
she is too wrote:
<quoted text>
OK, ask her. Are you a teacher in the district? If she says no, she is lying. My son has had her as a teacher and btw Lisa Babb is also a teacher. Btw many of the NFSS people are teachers and district employees and spouses. All of the attendees at Thursday nights meeting were the same.
Why thank you "She is too".....let me ask her.....Self, are you a teacher in Springboro - NOPE!!! Oh and Lisa Babb? NOPE!!! Not sure who your son is, but you might want to check out his story. You see, I know that Tina is not a teacher as I am Tina!!! hehehe
Hello

West Chester, OH

#22968 Jan 13, 2013
she is too wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, is there anything else you want to know about my employment status? I will be happy to share!
Ridiculous

Trenton, OH

#22969 Jan 13, 2013
Hello wrote:
<quoted text>
Why thank you "She is too".....let me ask her.....Self, are you a teacher in Springboro - NOPE!!! Oh and Lisa Babb? NOPE!!! Not sure who your son is, but you might want to check out his story. You see, I know that Tina is not a teacher as I am Tina!!! hehehe
Hey Self? Then why do you list "Sub at Springboro Community City Schools" on your Facebook page?
Hello

West Chester, OH

#22970 Jan 13, 2013
Ridiculous wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Self? Then why do you list "Sub at Springboro Community City Schools" on your Facebook page?
Oh Ridiculous....does it say teacher sub? Nope!! Besides, SCCS does not employe teacher subs.:) Silly Goose!! Anything else you would like to know about my employment? Rate of pay? How many sick days I get? How many days a year I get paid for? Hmmmmmm?
Old Student

Springfield, OH

#22971 Jan 13, 2013
Hello wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh Ridiculous....does it say teacher sub? Nope!! Besides, SCCS does not employe teacher subs.:) Silly Goose!! Anything else you would like to know about my employment? Rate of pay? How many sick days I get? How many days a year I get paid for? Hmmmmmm?
Simple question, are you now, or have you ever, been paid by the Springboro School District in any capacity?
Hello

Yellow Springs, OH

#22972 Jan 13, 2013
Hello wrote:
<quoted text>
I love it when people get put in their place. Thanks Tina! Do you think other things like academic stats could also be wrong on this site??
Facts vs Opinion

Piqua, OH

#22973 Jan 13, 2013
Impartial wrote:
At school board meeting tonight - Miller got himself re-elected. He gets bashed on this topix site but he is clearly with the majority of the community on the opposition of fees for the charter school consultant.
Don't you believe that the majority of the community is with union activists Don Miller in opposition of the board hiring a professional to conduct a feasibility study on ways to best use our Springboro School district resources.

Your statement is clearly your own very biased opinion (which of course is of more value to you than to others, and that's why we all have biased opinions because they are our own).
It may be a fact that the majority of your own community members, to who you have spoken, agree with your opinion.
But unless you have actually surveyed all school district community members in all schoold district voting precincts, then it is a fact that you have only spoken your opinion based on your personal experience.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wedding Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 24 min ward 49,810
Norfolk Island considers gay marriage 1 hr JohnInToronto 1
Women dish on their most embarrassing wardrobe ... (Sep '13) 2 hr Kelly DJ 301
Gazans rush to enjoy life after ruinous war 3 hr Garry Ackerman 8
Pakistan flood sinks boat carrying wedding party 10 hr ALiahButT 2
Homosexuality and the Bible (Aug '11) 19 hr KiMare 25,015
'We feel extremely blessed': Two women get marr... 20 hr Shirvell s Shrivel 111
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••