Our recommendation: Springboro voters should say 'yes' the first time to school levies

Feb 5, 2008 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Dayton Daily News

Recommended local sites More... UD sports info, pictures and discussions Are you a UD sports fan? Whether you like basketball, volleyball, soccer, men's or women's teams -- Doesn't matter -- this site is for ... via Dayton Daily News

Comments
22,541 - 22,560 of 31,183 Comments Last updated 6 hrs ago
Thanks

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 11, 2013

Judged:

go away wrote:
<quoted text>
And they are well within their rights under the Ohio Revised Code and the Sunshine laws to ask for whatever they want - no matter what their motivation. Its the law.
It sounds like they don't care about the kids and the cost of man hours to get their stupid gossip mills going. You need to understand that the ones spreading rumors and costing this district so much money are the teacher and former Asst. Supers wife. They are not unbiased they are union bought and paid for. Public records for e-mails yet trying to stop investigating education opportunities- and you say that is in their right? Really doesn't our kids deserve the money pay to educate and not to quench your thirst for non teacher/union blood?
Orcastrated

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 11, 2013

Judged:

Last nights board meeting was filled with funny people. Asking nonsense questions and making fools of themselves for a clapp. Isn't that what we call comedians? This is when you want to see a mime instead.
Boro Future Bright

Piqua, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 11, 2013

Judged:

Impartial wrote:
At school board meeting tonight - Miller got himself re-elected. He gets bashed on this topix site but he is clearly with the majority of the community on the opposition of fees for the charter school consultant.
He didn't get himself re-elected. The crowd is never representitive of the voting community. Most of the crowd was teachers, the Babbalonians, etc.

The silent majority decides who is on the school board
Boro Future Bright

Piqua, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 11, 2013

Judged:

Last night proved to me we need a new Treasurer. Our Treasurer was ready to put a replacement levy on the ballot in FEB without any research, data gathering or due dilligence. In all honesty she didn't seem very intellegent but to give her benefit of the doubt she could have been nervous about the cameras.
She was ready to spend the money to put it on the ballot in FEB so if it fail we could spend more money in August and November if needed. That is goverment/public sector thought process. It's beyond comprehension for me. She would last about a week in the private sector.
Ridiculous

Dayton, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 11, 2013

Judged:

Records wrote:
wow
I was truly embarrassed by the liberals in the audience tonight. They were rude, crass, obnoxious and you guys on the board did not deserve that type of behavior from what otherwise is a seemingly courteous community.
Teachers are treated with respect and this school board was treated extremely poorly by them tonight. We were soooo embarrassed to live in this trashy community.
There was no respect shown to people that work for almost free not teachers that work for twice the wages as the rest of us. Just trashy and so disrespectful, really shameful. There were children in the audience and they saw that behavior, shameful. Poor school board.
It's the typical schoolyard bullying that always goes on. That's why we don't go anymore. I would shudder to think how the teachers would react should our students treat them with the same disrespect.
Ridiculous

Dayton, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 11, 2013

Judged:

Boro Future Bright wrote:
Last night proved to me we need a new Treasurer. Our Treasurer was ready to put a replacement levy on the ballot in FEB without any research, data gathering or due dilligence. In all honesty she didn't seem very intellegent but to give her benefit of the doubt she could have been nervous about the cameras.
She was ready to spend the money to put it on the ballot in FEB so if it fail we could spend more money in August and November if needed. That is goverment/public sector thought process. It's beyond comprehension for me. She would last about a week in the private sector.
As would most teachers. Imagine if they had to pay upwards of 35% for THEIR benefits?
Ridiculous

Dayton, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 11, 2013

Judged:

master liar wrote:
<quoted text>
This describes Springboro perfectly. Thank You
I am taking my kids out of here and all other public school parents should look at the deception. There is not "great education in public schools there is only union run disappointments. David Bowman what do you say about this report HMMMMM nothing HMMMMMMMMMM? The speakers were all union activists sticking up for this poor performance, the truth is out.
The truth would get out faster if the media (WDTN, WHIO, DDN) actually picked up the real story rather than the sensational nonsense.
the mob of idiots

Germantown, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 11, 2013

Judged:

master liar wrote:
The display I saw last night was not about the kids it was 100% union activists the audience was 90% union and spouses and the rudest people I have ever seen. My spouse couldn't come because she had to work, Yes I said work more than 7.25 hours in a day.
I heard people speak that clearly should not have they said the dumbest things I have ever heard. One man said that he would not be sending his daughter to this school because he would not send his child to a non union teacher. The had to be the stupidest thing I have ever heard. Man you deserve what you get.
Now I have to go to work and my day will be longer than 7.25 hours. Guess we don't have that union label.
I'd like to thank the man who said he'd refuse to send his "gifted" student to a school with non-union teachers. That marked the precise instant the SEA's cards were fully exposed to the public as well as to local media. Union members had no other card to play from that point on except the "scorched earth" card of slapping each other on the back and bashing board members. Very few in the audience with common sense bought the repeated union dog and pony show " a conversion school would ruin what we've accomplished here in Springboro".
reality

Germantown, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 11, 2013

Judged:

Ridiculous wrote:
<quoted text>
It's the typical schoolyard bullying that always goes on. That's why we don't go anymore. I would shudder to think how the teachers would react should our students treat them with the same disrespect.
We have both high schoolers and grade schoolers. We have run into at least one Springboro teacher in almost every grade level who has shown an attitude problem, or is generally immature.

Last night you could see this all over the auditorium. Teachers whispering or even talking out loud during board proceedings. Teachers pointing their i-phones and i-pads all around rudely taking videos without bothering to ask. All of those rude outbursts and condescending remarks.

I hope our Springboro teachers today are proud for the perfect fools they made themselves out to be in front of at least 4 media outlets!
In My Opinion

Piqua, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 11, 2013

Judged:

Boro Future Bright wrote:
Our school treasurer does not share the philosophy of children first budgeting that school district voters chose in the November 2011 school board election.
Our school treasurer is not even smart enough to recognize that she is employed by all taxpayers in this school district; and that her job is to serve this school district in the best interest of our school children and our community as a whole.
Our school treasurer has a status quo financial vision for our children's future which reflects her loyalty to the Ohio School Board Association philosophy that the local school board works for the school administrators, and the school administrators priority is to promote a continuous stream of unnecessary school levies.
Our former superintendent respected school district taxpayers enough to resign when he recognized that he could not support the children first budgeting philosophy that voters have chosen.
Our former school board president resigned because of the same reason.
Our former business mananger resigned because of the same reason.
Our school treasurer should be asked by school district taxpayers to please resign.
Just Watching

Cleveland, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 11, 2013

Judged:

When the current Freshman class at our High School took the Ohio Achievement Assessment Tests in 2011 it was found that fully 1/3 of the children scored LESS than 58% on the math section.

That one third represents 140 children. 140 who scored LESS than 58% on the math section of the test.

The numbers in reading were even worse, 172 children scored LESS than 66% on the reading section of the test.

How are these children, who are consistently getting less than 2/3 of the material, going to effectively transition to the next higher course?

I care not a whit about the union, but I care greatly about the opportunities our children are being denied because of the lack of education they are receiving.

A civil society can ill afford to neglect better than a third of its population's education.

Those children in essence either become productive citizens of this country or tomorrow's future tax burden.
Just Watching

Cleveland, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 11, 2013

Judged:

For the sake of edification, in 2011 the cut scores and scoring bands were for the 7th grade defined as:

READING
Advanced 81%-100%(I guess this explains why so many are "gifted")
Accelerated 66%-80%
Proficient 45%-65%(45%=Proficient)
172 kids out of 413 in the class scored LESS than 65%

MATH
Advanced 72%-100%
Accelerated 58%-71%
Proficient 32%-57%(32%=Proficient)
140 kids out of 413 in the class scored LESS than 57%

Tell those parents and those children how AMAZING their education is today.
swee pea

Germantown, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 11, 2013

Judged:

Just Watching wrote:
For the sake of edification, in 2011 the cut scores and scoring bands were for the 7th grade defined as:
READING
Advanced 81%-100%(I guess this explains why so many are "gifted")
Q) What's the source for well over 3/4 of Springboro's population of 40% "gifted" students?

A) It's apPARENT !
swee pea

Germantown, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 11, 2013

Judged:

the mob of idiots wrote:
<quoted text>
I'd like to thank the man who said he'd refuse to send his "gifted" student to a school with non-union teachers. That marked the precise instant the SEA's cards were fully exposed to the public as well as to local media. Union members had no other card to play from that point on except the "scorched earth" card of slapping each other on the back and bashing board members. Very few in the audience with common sense bought the repeated union dog and pony show " a conversion school would ruin what we've accomplished here in Springboro".
That jerk who kept talking back to the board should've been pulled by the scruff of his collar out to the front door then tossed into the rain.
Well Duh

Piqua, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 11, 2013

Judged:

master liar wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe, but can he carry a sentence?
...you talkin 'bout union activist on board, Don Miller? well,

Alls Ima saying, good old boy Don Miller edukated us at last night's meeting that they don't worry none about sentence structure up there at Ohio School Board Association training school for us board members ... they just train em up to serve the teachers union masters. That's alls Ima saying ... I just don't want my young-uns going to a school house with no socialization with the union teachers.. and that's alls Ima saying.
Hello

West Chester, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 11, 2013

Judged:

One Way Wrong Way wrote:
<quoted text>
Isn't Tina Schrof employed as a teacher in Springboro Schools?
Isn't this status-quo mantra of "one way - teachers union first"
the Wrong Way for our children's 21st century educational best interests?
Hello!! Just wanted to clarify, Tina is NOT a teacher in the schools.:)
Opinion vs Facts

Piqua, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2013

Judged:

Hello wrote:
<quoted text>
Hello???

Not taking my time to go back into school board minutes to prove anything to you, because a supplemental contract approving Tina Schrof's position as substitute teacher was voted on and approved
last fall. That's a fact.
In my opinion, levy lady and union activist Tina Schrof, is not a role model of good citizenship for our children, our school community and our community as a whole; and I opposed my school tax dollars being wasted on Tina Schrof's contract. But, when I spoke my opinion to our school leaders, I was told that Tina had been employed for some time.
As our union activist board member Don Miller repeated at the January 10 meeting, that's alls ima sayin.
Opinion vs Facts

Piqua, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2013

Judged:

Well Duh wrote:
<quoted text>
...you talkin 'bout union activist on board, Don Miller? well,
Alls Ima saying, good old boy Don Miller edukated us at last night's meeting that they don't worry none about sentence structure up there at Ohio School Board Association training school for us board members ... they just train em up to serve the teachers union masters. That's alls Ima saying ... I just don't want my young-uns going to a school house with no socialization with the union teachers.. and that's alls Ima saying.
In my opinion, the biggest waste of taxpayers money is the few dollars that board member Don Miller is paid to occupy the bully in chief position on the Springboro School Board of Education.
Ridiculous

Trenton, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2013

Judged:

Hello wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe she has stated that she cannot request information because she is a teacher in the district.
Orcastrated

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2013

Judged:

Tina Paul Schrof facebook post, I do agree there needs to be respect on both sides. However, it is hard to show respect when you have a board member asks the community to not be rude and talk over them when they are talking and then turn around and have side conversations during the prearranged speaker period. Or when one board member sits there with their eyes closed and appearing to be sleeping throughout the meeting. You rocked last night. It will be interesting to see where this all goes.

You must be talking about Miller because if you look at his phone records he mostly texts during meetings and looks at his screen.
OK did you not see there was only one side at the BOE meeting Thursday night. One side that jeered, protested loudly and spoke over board members as they tried to answer questions and as they tired to explain and as they tried to make statements. The rude behavior was all one side. At one point Dr. Kohl even stated that her kids were in the audience, giving the rude and immature,nasties in the audience a heads up and what did they do? Spoke over her and yelled out over what? A look into all opportunities for our kids, that is what we hired all of them to do. Can't help that Mr. Miller is still stuck on "we are all OK, good enough, don't ask for more". Shocking that Schrof believes that the be a "you rock" moment.
I apologize to the BOE for this scene it was not Springboro and it was certainly not respectful it was embarrassing and shameful. I am so sorry BOE members and I mean to all of them.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••