Largest US Protestant churches on gay clergy

Feb 28, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Oregonian

A look at where the largest Protestant churches in the United States stand on gay clergy: ?UNITED METHODIST CHURCH: 7.9 million U.S. members.

Comments
221 - 240 of 311 Comments Last updated Jan 7, 2013

DNF

“Liberty AND Justice”

Since: Apr 07

Born in Newark, Ohio

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 11, 2012

Judged:

Selecia Jones- JAX FL wrote:
I love it that they have NotHING and so they resort to calling us all liars...
George Barna, whose company conducted the research, pointed out that some popular stereotypes about the spiritual life of gays and lesbians are simply wrong.

“People who portray gay adults as godless, hedonistic, Christian bashers are not working with the facts,” declared the best-selling author of numerous books about faith and culture.“A substantial majority of gays cite their faith as a central facet of their life, consider themselves to be Christian, and claim to have some type of meaningful personal commitment to Jesus Christ active in their life today.

“The data indicate that millions of gay people are interested in faith but not in the local church and do not appear to be focused on the traditional tools and traditions that represent the comfort zone of most churched Christians. Gay adults clearly have a different way of interpreting the Bible on a number of central theological matters, such as perspectives about God. Homosexuals appreciate their faith but they do not prioritize it, and they tend to consider faith to be individual and private rather than communal."

"The gay and lesbian population, which constitutes about 3% of adults, has garnered national attention in the past several years thanks to issues like gay marriage, gay adoption, and other gay rights conflicts. In the wake of those controversies and the spotlight aimed at gays, Americans have developed numerous assumptions about the lives of the homosexual population. A new survey by the Barna Group explores the spiritual life of gay and lesbian individuals, providing some surprising results.

Spiritual Similarities

Out of the 20 faith-oriented attributes examined in the Barna study, there were just a few in which there were no significant differences between the heterosexual and homosexual populations. The areas of similarity included the facts that a small minority of people in both groups believe that Satan is real; equivalent percentages of these groups feel they have a personal responsibility to share their religious beliefs with others who believe differently; similar numbers of people from each group contend that good people can earn their way into Heaven through their goodness; and rates of participation in house churches is about the same for both groups.

http://www.barna.org/barna-update/article/13-...

“Good day to you!”

Since: Oct 08

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 11, 2012

Judged:

RevKen wrote:
<quoted text>
Pardon me, please.
I had intended the above post in response to No Surprise.
Rev. Ken
The truth will set me free? Which truth? Yours as you perceive it? That's not truth. That's an opinion of what you think truth is.
If your truth comes from the Bible, understand your truth is based in a book that has a beginning and ending to the words of God, get it? Prior to Jesus and John the Baptist, their hadn't been an actual Israelite prophet for about 500+ years. After the death of the last apostle/prophet, we haven't heard from God for 2000 years now. Get it? Unless your info of God's truth is coming from a modern prophet, the last time anyone spoke God's actual non copied/recorded truth was 2000 years ago.

“Good day to you!”

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 11, 2012

Judged:

MiddleWay wrote:
<quoted text>
What keeps you from joining the church that inspires you? Too many rules? Blood oaths? Magic underwear?
Something in your life might cause you to be cast out in eternal darkness?
Really, how can you be pro-moreman and not choose to be a member?
I'm not pro-Mormon any more then I'm pro-Catholic or pro-Jehovah Witness or even pro-Jew etc. But when I hear idiocy being spoken of a religion and I know it's idiocy, I like to say something to see if the idiot will correct their opinion to facts or remain an idiot, understand?
Concerning my beliefs, I have my personal religious beliefs concerning God that have been formed from information I have considered from many religions on this earth, some ancient and some modern. That simple.
By the way, I believe God works with those that seek to do well and good for themselves and others and those are the ones that receive his inspiration and blessings to continue to be who they are. The rest he waits for them to change so he can help them too :)

“Plays well with others.”

Since: Jun 07

LIVING WELL*THE BEST REVENGE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

Judged:

This Godless Lesbian is off to lead BIBLE STUDY....later!

“... truth will out.”

Since: May 08

Stratford, Connecticut.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

Judged:

This Godless Lesbian is off to lead BIBLE STUDY...
... because in TEC, the blind routinely lead the blind.

“For this reason...”

Since: Feb 10

Marriage = Man + Woman 4 Life

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

Judged:

This Godless Lesbian is off to lead BIBLE STUDY....later!
To study how the bible is wrong about this and that? So have you torn Paul's writings out of yours? The abridged lesbian version?

DNF

“Liberty AND Justice”

Born in Newark, Ohio

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

Judged:

WotMeWorry wrote:
<quoted text>
To study how the bible is wrong about this and that? So have you torn Paul's writings out of yours? The abridged lesbian version?
Nice that you admit you're a Paulist and not a Christian.

“For this reason...”

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

Judged:

DNF wrote:
<quoted text>Nice that you admit you're a Paulist and not a Christian.
There are those who consider Paul's writings to be Christian, including the apostle Peter

DNF

“Liberty AND Justice”

Born in Newark, Ohio

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

Judged:

WotMeWorry wrote:
<quoted text>
There are those who consider Paul's writings to be Christian, including the apostle Peter
IMHO he guy who denied ever knowing Jesus 3 TIMES! isn't the best source to use to justify making Paul your messiah.

Since: Aug 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

Judged:

No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
The truth will set me free? Which truth? Yours as you perceive it? That's not truth. That's an opinion of what you think truth is.
If your truth comes from the Bible, understand your truth is based in a book that has a beginning and ending to the words of God, get it? Prior to Jesus and John the Baptist, their hadn't been an actual Israelite prophet for about 500+ years. After the death of the last apostle/prophet, we haven't heard from God for 2000 years now. Get it? Unless your info of God's truth is coming from a modern prophet, the last time anyone spoke God's actual non copied/recorded truth was 2000 years ago.
Well,...LOL!! That sure explains why you hold the positions that you do, doesn't it.

Basically, you live inside of a box of comprehension that has a 2000 year-old lid.

"Unless the seed dies, the plant cannot be born and grow into fruition."

"All these things that I do, so shall you and even greater."

The eunuch asked Philip, "About whom, may I ask you, does the prophet say this, about himself or about someone else?"

Rev. Ken

“Good day to you!”

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

Judged:

RevKen wrote:
<quoted text>
Well,...LOL!! That sure explains why you hold the positions that you do, doesn't it.
Basically, you live inside of a box of comprehension that has a 2000 year-old lid.
"Unless the seed dies, the plant cannot be born and grow into fruition."
"All these things that I do, so shall you and even greater."
The eunuch asked Philip, "About whom, may I ask you, does the prophet say this, about himself or about someone else?"
Rev. Ken
You're laughing at me when you do the same exact thing but worse for comprehension? Now that's funny!)
Your modern Christianity is a box of comprehension that adds to and takes away from 2000 year old teachings at will to fit new age thinking. You preach things the Bible doesn't. You state beliefs about God he hasn't made a statement about. Better get a grasp on the fact the box of comprehensions you live by is more misguided then mine will ever be! lol.

DNF

“Liberty AND Justice”

Born in Newark, Ohio

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

Judged:

No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
You're laughing at me when you do the same exact thing but worse for comprehension? Now that's funny!)
Your modern Christianity is a box of comprehension that adds to and takes away from 2000 year old teachings at will to fit new age thinking. You preach things the Bible doesn't. You state beliefs about God he hasn't made a statement about. Better get a grasp on the fact the box of comprehensions you live by is more misguided then mine will ever be! lol.
Takes away from 2000 years of teaching eh? Sort of like your Trinity, right?

And all the other stuff that you believe is 2000 years old but in fact was added a century or two after the Crucifixion.

Maybe you didn't know Paul came on the scene nearly two generations after Jesus walked the Earth (I'm sure that wasn't covered in your Dead Sea Scrolls class), but you put more stock in his teachings than the ones Jesus taught.

Then you have the GALL to criticize someone like Rev. Ken!

“Good day to you!”

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

Judged:

DNF wrote:
<quoted text>Takes away from 2000 years of teaching eh? Sort of like your Trinity, right?
And all the other stuff that you believe is 2000 years old but in fact was added a century or two after the Crucifixion.
Maybe you didn't know Paul came on the scene nearly two generations after Jesus walked the Earth (I'm sure that wasn't covered in your Dead Sea Scrolls class), but you put more stock in his teachings than the ones Jesus taught.
Then you have the GALL to criticize someone like Rev. Ken!
lol...you assume to much to soon with out asking questions for information :)
I don't believe God has a personality disorder where he thinks and teaches as a single being, there are also two more of himself you get to meet from time to time. I was basing an earlier answer to someone else's belief in the trinity to show their own contradictions.
Two generations? You better redo your mathematics. If Paul came on the scene two generations after Jesus's death (about Ad 30), that would mean if Paul had been related to Peter, Peter would have been Paul's grand father. Seeing the average life span 2000 years ago was about 40, I think not :)
PS, rev Ken is a self made reverend as far as I know. And if he has a degree to back up his scriptural knowledge, I would question those that taught him because he has taught things that aren't in the Bible, that a true preacher would have had knowledge about that he didn't have.
Next time, ask a few questions before you ride your horse called Assume, just saying :)

Since: Aug 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 12, 2012

Judged:

No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
lol...you assume to much to soon with out asking questions for information :)
I don't believe God has a personality disorder where he thinks and teaches as a single being, there are also two more of himself you get to meet from time to time. I was basing an earlier answer to someone else's belief in the trinity to show their own contradictions.
Two generations? You better redo your mathematics. If Paul came on the scene two generations after Jesus's death (about Ad 30), that would mean if Paul had been related to Peter, Peter would have been Paul's grand father. Seeing the average life span 2000 years ago was about 40, I think not :)

PS, rev Ken is a self made reverend as far as I know. And if he has a degree to back up his scriptural knowledge, I would question those that taught him because he has taught things that aren't in the Bible, that a true preacher would have had knowledge about that he didn't have.
Next time, ask a few questions before you ride your horse called Assume, just saying :)
LOL!!!....

I've met a lot of preachers, pastors, ministers, deacons and priests in my time, male and female, some better than me and some not quite so good. But, I've never met one who didn't ever make a mistake or couldn't use a refresher course from time to time. If I make a mistake about something in scripture, I usually will admit it.

As for the apostles of Jesus, not one had a degree to back up his or her spiritual knowledge, except maybe Saul. And there are plenty who will argue, with good reason, that Saul's theology, even though he was supposed to have been the educated grandson of a Pharisee, was himself more highly influenced by Greek philosophy.

Plus, I know of quite a few pastors, ministers, preachers and bible-thumping Doctors of Divinity whose degrees are not worth the papermill diplomas they are printed on. Anybody can memorize scripture or take a series of courses that focus on Fundamentalist jabberwocky. Often enough, a PhD stands for no more than "piled higher and deeper." Just ask the Lutherans what they think of the pope.

And, whether you realize it or not, every man or woman who answers the call or who is chosen to represent the Gospel still has to step up to the bar and personally declare his or her intent to serve in this capacity. After you do that, its what you do over the course of the following years that you've got to own up to, anyway.

So, the truth is, we are ALL self-made Reverends, whether we are willing to admit it or not. Yes. I am an ordained priest and that is all I care to say about it here. The rest is a matter of our conversation, take it or leave it.

As for spiritual training and guidance and information that I use in my ministry of spreading the Gospel of Christ Jesus, I use every source of information that I think may help me get the point across, including the bible and other writings of that period and everything that has been written and comprehended before or since, from Akhenaten to Augustine and Zoroaster to Babaji and Calvin to Baha'u'llah to Paul Tillich, Teilhard de Chardin, Isaac Asimov to Carl Sagan and Robert A. Heinlein, Joseph Campbell, Carl Jung and Saturday morning Fritz Freiling's Looney Tunes, too.

There isn't anything or anyone that God cannot make useful for the purpose of opening our eyes to see our real selves.

Just saying. ;)

Rev. Ken

“The Kingdom of God Begins NOW!”

Since: May 07

The Mountain Empire

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 13, 2012

Judged:

No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not pro-Mormon any more then I'm pro-Catholic or pro-Jehovah Witness or even pro-Jew etc. But when I hear idiocy being spoken of a religion and I know it's idiocy, I like to say something to see if the idiot will correct their opinion to facts or remain an idiot, understand?
Concerning my beliefs, I have my personal religious beliefs concerning God that have been formed from information I have considered from many religions on this earth, some ancient and some modern. That simple.
By the way, I believe God works with those that seek to do well and good for themselves and others and those are the ones that receive his inspiration and blessings to continue to be who they are. The rest he waits for them to change so he can help them too :)
What did I say that wasn't true?

Why don't you have a church family?

Did you know JW's, Romans and Moremans have nothing in common?

“Good day to you!”

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 13, 2012

Judged:

RevKen wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL!!!....
I've met a lot of preachers, pastors, ministers, deacons and priests in my time, male and female, some better than me and some not quite so good. But, I've never met one who didn't ever make a mistake or couldn't use a refresher course from time to time. If I make a mistake about something in scripture, I usually will admit it.
Rev. Ken
Nice post :)
But you see, you said you read the story of David enough times to know it well. Well after you stated that and finding out you didn't know Jonathan had at least one wife and one male child, you gave me good reason to doubt how well you had read that story.
See, the basis of showing lacking evidence or credible evidence that Jonathan and David were or weren't homosexuals, is how involved with women they were. Most would seek out that information in their quest to prove their point and you didn't.
There isn't a lot of information of Jonathan's sex life. So it can be shown to lean either way. But David has a life full of sex and romance for females. That information gives little credit to him being a homosexual or even a bisexual. If anything, it would only show he is very hetero and "possibly" had a single same sex relationship.

“Good day to you!”

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 13, 2012

Judged:

MiddleWay wrote:
<quoted text>
What did I say that wasn't true?
Why don't you have a church family?
Did you know JW's, Romans and Moremans have nothing in common?
You really aren't asking me to go back through all your old posts to show what you've said of Mormons, that was based on extreme vile sarcasm, your disgust of their religion and extreme conflated statements concerning them and their doctrines and temple clothes and such are you?
And thank you for asking but I have church families though I don't attend those churches they check in on me :)
JWs, RCCs and Mormons do have something in common. Being verbally attacked/slandered by the likes of you :)
Any more questions I can possibly answer?

“Plays well with others.”

Since: Jun 07

LIVING WELL*THE BEST REVENGE

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 13, 2012

“Good day to you!”

Earth

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 13, 2012

Judged:

Caleb wrote:
<quoted text>The Bible specifically says that David was free of such serious sin, except in the matter of Uriah the Hittite, which was something quite different.
I didn't say David had sin. I was presenting information based on the pro-homosexual view of David being gay. He wasn't. He was as heterosexual as a guy could be and his multiple wives prove it as does the fact that he indirectly had a man killed so he could possess/have his wife. A gay man doesn't have another man killed so he can have his female wife he's been sexually lusting on for who knows how long. Understand?

“For this reason...”

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 14, 2012

Judged:

DNF wrote:
<quoted text>IMHO he guy who denied ever knowing Jesus 3 TIMES! isn't the best source to use to justify making Paul your messiah.
Try telling Jesus that.
John 21:17

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••