Historic moment for gay rights

Historic moment for gay rights

There are 7 comments on the Belper News story from Mar 17, 2014, titled Historic moment for gay rights. In it, Belper News reports that:

An historic moment came for a Bakewell registrar as she prepared for the new gay marriage laws to take effect.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Belper News.

“Opposing Evil, Helping Good”

Since: Feb 14

EVERYWHERE!!!

#1 Mar 18, 2014
I can't get the article to do for me, but this looks awesome! I wanna see Same-Sex Marriage legalized EVERYWHERE!

It's on it's way! Hell, Texas recently legalized it (If you can believe that!) Well it was a court ruling. Which is cool, in fact what I wanna see is like a "Roe v. Wade" kinda thing. Making it so that all 50 states MUST allow it!!!

I don't know what state (or country) this is about, but I like it.

It technically doesn't affect me directly. I'm one of the straitest people in existence. In fact I'm one of the few people who is not bisexual at all. Most people are somewhat bisexual (if that's news to anyone). They don't always identify, or "acknowledge" it, but most are.

However, as anyone with a brain knows, if "they" (the "Powers That Be") will do something lame to someone else, they'll do the same thing to me, when they get the chance. Lame is as lame does. People who take rights away from someone else, will do the same to you. Why would they not? It's a no-brainer!!!

Plus I have lots of friends and acquaintances who are gay, bi, transgendered, etc., and quite frankly they deserve better then that. They are good people who don't deserve that crap! They deserve equal rights, like everyone else!

Anyway, I like this. These are the kinds of stories I like (even though I couldn't read the article, lol... I'll try it again later...) Next I wanna see one that says "Gay Marriage Legalized Throughout The United States" :)

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#2 Mar 18, 2014
It's about the U.K.

“Opposing Evil, Helping Good”

Since: Feb 14

EVERYWHERE!!!

#3 Mar 18, 2014
snyper wrote:
It's about the U.K.
Oh TY :) I still can't get the article to load. It's probably my browser. I had trouble with another article, on another forum (of this site) earlier.

I actually thought most of the UK already had it. I guess I was probably thinking of civil unions (which is... better than nothing, but not the same thing).

I know the UK has traditionally been good (or at least better than the US) on most Gay Rights issues. Well, not "always" though! In the early 1950s their was a dude named Alan Turing who... let's just say without him we probably wouldn't have computers as we know them. In fact without him, we'd probably all be speaking German ;) Yet all that the British Government could focus on was his sexual orientation. So they... either killed him or drove him to suicide (accounts vary).

Of course that was the early 50s. The Gay Liberation Movement (or "Gay Rights Movement" if you prefer) didn't really start until the late 60s (I believe the official start was 1970, although it had been building for a while...)

Then throughout the 70s things got better, as far as rights for LGBT persons. However, then came the early 80s and the HIV epidemic. Of course the one thing some people didn't (and still don't, in some cases) realize, is that all you have to do is use a condom (and use it CORRECTLY), gay or strait. That's all you have to do :)

Anyway TY so much for that info! I probably need to clear my browser's cookies and cache.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#4 Mar 18, 2014
N8 the Grrr8 wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh TY :) I still can't get the article to load. It's probably my browser. I had trouble with another article, on another forum (of this site) earlier.
I actually thought most of the UK already had it. I guess I was probably thinking of civil unions (which is... better than nothing, but not the same thing).
I know the UK has traditionally been good (or at least better than the US) on most Gay Rights issues. Well, not "always" though! In the early 1950s their was a dude named Alan Turing who... let's just say without him we probably wouldn't have computers as we know them. In fact without him, we'd probably all be speaking German ;) Yet all that the British Government could focus on was his sexual orientation. So they... either killed him or drove him to suicide (accounts vary).
Of course that was the early 50s. The Gay Liberation Movement (or "Gay Rights Movement" if you prefer) didn't really start until the late 60s (I believe the official start was 1970, although it had been building for a while...)
Then throughout the 70s things got better, as far as rights for LGBT persons. However, then came the early 80s and the HIV epidemic. Of course the one thing some people didn't (and still don't, in some cases) realize, is that all you have to do is use a condom (and use it CORRECTLY), gay or strait. That's all you have to do :)
Anyway TY so much for that info! I probably need to clear my browser's cookies and cache.
It's gratifying to see that you know your history.

Allan? It was the former.
Fundies R Mentally ill

Philadelphia, PA

#5 Mar 18, 2014
I'm also not the slightest bit bisexual.
Rainbow Kid

Alpharetta, GA

#6 Mar 18, 2014
N8 the Grrr8 wrote:
<quoted text>
It shows a picture of the Bakewell, United Kingdom, marriage registrar (lady) holding a sign she has taken off the wall
Here is the entire news article:
An historic moment came for a Bakewell registrar as she prepared for the new gay marriage laws to take effect.
Stella Truby is pictured above at Bakewell Registry Office removing the plaque which states marriage is a union of ‘one man with one woman’.
Gay marriage laws will come into effect on Friday, March 29, and the registry office has already received several applications from couples wishing to tie the knot.
If you are using the Microsoft browser; your *security, privacy, and compatibility settings* are blocking most of the internet. You need to pull it up and make appropriate adjustments

Since: Dec 08

Toronto, ON, Canada

#7 Mar 18, 2014
Should anyone wish to celebrate this momentous occasion with a dessert:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/bakewell_ta...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wedding Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Some upset over National Cathedral's decision t... 3 hr Squirtzzz9115 7
News 7 Weird But Real Jobs 5 hr Wholly Silicon Wafer 1
News What would Jesus say about same-sex marriage? (Jul '15) 6 hr Chick240 4,944
News Anti-gay Atlanta bishop Eddie Long, who was acc... Sun Wholly Silicon Wafer 3
News Marriage in a Paradise Island: Mauritius - Some... (Aug '09) Jan 13 Peter Cheng 105
[Guide] Funny maid of honor speech (Sep '14) Jan 13 Pouyan 259
News A Pakistani Woman on Sex in Pakistan (Mar '10) Jan 13 Shah 37
More from around the web