British Muslims should stand up and say it: there is nothing Islamic about child marriage

Nov 21, 2013 Full story: New Statesman 19

This is a column about Muslims and child marriage. I hesitated before writing it.

Full Story
Faith

New Baltimore, MI

#1 Nov 21, 2013
Sure there is. The self-proclaimed "prophet" Muhammad married a six year old child. He also had sex with a corpse, several homosexual trysts and dressed in women's clothing. It's all in the hadiths.
Onelawforall

London, UK

#2 Nov 21, 2013
Muslims are told that Muhammad is a moral examokle to all muslims and they should imitate his life. 6 year olds are fair game for muslims because anything Muhammad did they can do.
DrBen

Québec, Canada

#3 Nov 21, 2013
The overwhelming of Muslims do not support child marriage. There are however, some who do, just as there are some Christians who do also (the number of under-18 marriages is 32% in Nicaraugau!).

Child marriage was common among all societies and all religions until the beginning of the 20th century. Except in a few developing countries, it is quickly disappearing.

In criticizing the practices of others, we should not forget that our own societies have a similar history.

The Catholic Church has always assumed (based on pious legend and the cultural practices of Jews) that the Blessed Virgin Mary was under the age of 14 when she was married St. Joseph.

The writer Edgar Allen Poe was 27 when he married his first cousin Virginia Clemm (who was 13).

Samuel de Champlain, the founder of New France (Québec) was around 50 when he married Hélène Boullet, who was 14, or as some say, 12.

Maximilian I was married to Anne of Brittany when she was 13.

The singer Jerry Lee Lewis was 22 when he married his cousin Myra Gale Brown, who was 13 (according to biographers (or 15 according to the couple).

The Duke of Orleans married Joan of France when she was 12.

King James I, aged 23, married Anne of Denmark when she was 14.

Charles I, aged 25, married Henrietta Marie of France when she was 13.

William III and Mary II ruled jointly. Mary was 15 when she married her 27 year old 1st cousin.

Henry VI, aged 23, married Margaret of Anjou when she was 15.

Considering the social prominence of some of those people, it is obvious that child marriage was not a public scandal.
guy

Brighton, UK

#4 Nov 27, 2013
typical muslim response, attack others rather than focusing on your own problems, thats not going to make them go away.
warner

Dublin, Ireland

#5 Nov 27, 2013
DrBen.

The overwhelming of Muslims do not support child marriage. There are however, some who do, just as there are some Christians who do also (the number of under-18 marriages is 32% in Nicaraugau!).
Child marriage was common among all societies and all religions until the beginning of the 20th century. Except in a few developing countries, it is quickly disappearing.
In criticizing the practices of others, we should not forget that our own societies have a similar history.
The Catholic Church has always assumed (based on pious legend and the cultural practices of Jews) that the Blessed Virgin Mary was under the age of 14 when she was married St. Joseph.
The writer Edgar Allen Poe was 27 when he married his first cousin Virginia Clemm (who was 13).
Samuel de Champlain, the founder of New France (Québec) was around 50 when he married Hélène Boullet, who was 14, or as some say, 12.
The singer Jerry Lee Lewis was 22 when he married his cousin Myra Gale Brown, who was 13 (according to biographers (or 15 according to the couple).
William III and Mary II ruled jointly. Mary was 15 when she married her 27 year old 1st cousin.
Considering the social prominence of some of those people, it is obvious that child marriage was not a public scandal.

Warner responds

As regards above St Joseph did not have sex with Mary Mother of Jesus, and it is doubtful that Mary was such a young girl as why the hell would we believe in a God who would make a girl so young pregnant ( obviously not through intercourse) but nevertheless, l know that my God would have chosen a mature young woman. Mary was actually God's Prophet, although this is not aknowledged! It should also be noted that Mary was fertile and not a child who had no ovary function and egg production!
In regards to Royalty they often were betrothed to young girls even 3 years of age but did not consummate their marriage until the girl was much older. It was done for political reasons. It was not a practice amongst commoners!
Simon

UK

#6 Nov 27, 2013
DrBen wrote:
Those people you quoted were young when they married but their age discrepancy was not as marked as in the case of muhammad and aisha, he was 51 and she was 6! Besides none of those people are an example to follow for all times to come as muhammad is supposed to be.
wasim ahmed

Sangli, India

#11 Mar 8, 2014
i am surprised many time i submitted my article but after 2 days it is automatically deleted...how???
Reality leaves a lot to the imagination...
wasim ahmed
solapur, maharashtra
india

“Freedom, NOT islam.”

Since: Feb 11

Birmingham UK

#12 Mar 8, 2014
I actually believe that most muslims do not agree with child marriage. The problem is, there are too many that do, and they are constantly trying to manipulate the systems and laws of their host countries in order to attain their backward goals. Just as life everywhere has to evolve, our collective understanding has to evolve too. And this is where islam constantly fails. It opposes change in any form, and as such, develops at a snails pace. Quick to judge, slow to change. That is islam.
GODLESS AND FREE

Northampton, UK

#15 Mar 8, 2014
Rochdale child raposts were pakistani muslims

Derby child rapists were pakistani muslims

Oxford child rapists were pakistani muslims

These pakistani muslim scum are following in the footsteps of their kiddy fiddling fake prophet muhammad,

Check this disgusting pakistani MUSLIM scum -

Briton who flew to Florida to have sex with underage girl and get her pregnant so he could live out 'incest' fantasy is sentenced to 10 years in jail
Shuhel Mahboob Ali, now 40, has been sentenced to spend 10 years in a federal prison after being caught in a sting operation
Ali contacted undercover sheriff's agent online in January who he thought was the father of a 13-year-old girl
He told the agent how he planned to have sex with the man's daughter and raise a 'daughters only' family' so he could abuse them
Said the abuse would start 'once the mid-wife left'
Ali traveled from London to Florida in April 2013 and was arrested

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-25732...
Follow us:@MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
Southern Comfort

New York, NY

#16 Mar 8, 2014
wasim ahmed wrote:
i am surprised many time i submitted my article but after 2 days it is automatically deleted...how???
Reality leaves a lot to the imagination...
wasim ahmed
solapur, maharashtra
india
MODS.

lol
Faith

New Baltimore, MI

#17 Mar 8, 2014
"British" muslims should pack their sht and go back to whatever hole in the ground they crawled out of.
Blog reader

Satellite Provider

#18 Mar 9, 2014
TOPIX MODERTER should make available reaason behind removing post of anyone.

If TOPIX have problem or bias toward someone's content,let all reader know !
@wasim :
I read your comment posted here but it got deleted now. Why don't you contact admin ?

Since: Mar 14

Latur, India

#20 Mar 9, 2014
dear Blog reader...thanks for the suggestion...actually we submitted same article on 26th feb 14 and again resubmitted on 2nd march now same article is released and the date showing 2nd march...
wasim ahmed
tracker

Anonymous Proxy

#21 Mar 9, 2014
@Mehadi hasan: it is appreciable that mehadi hasan found nothing islamic in CHILD MARRIAGE specially after studing "Ayesh's matter".and I hope he may find many more things which are not islamic but muslims have.
@wasim: it is true about marriage age of Muhmmed's only child fatima with ali, clearly indicating customs of hashmi family related to marriage age.It is also found that according to hashmi custom Muhmmed married at age of 25 with Khatiza when she was at age of 28 and she was not widow.
@faith: let have look on this and identify dictators ....
@MUHMMADI AND MUSLIM: it is observed that this two group revealed publically at the occassion of death of Muhmmed when first dictorate of lslam Abu Bakar announced that "Don't worship Muhmmed since he died and Allah is hayyi....".Because this announcement emphisis that there were people who were worshiping Muhmmed and following WAHDATUL WAJOOD I.e nullify existance of allah at seventh sky but occupying every where.These group of people are Muhmmadi.While Muhmmed never objected on their worship but Abu bakar deinying worship of Muhmmed and WAHDTUL WAJOOD objected those people and signified presence of other group "Muslim".Muhmmed already clarified that human being is not ruler but servent.Muhmmed never mentioned about caliphate but Abu bakar and people of same opinion orignated dictorshikp in islam under name of CALIPHATE .Abu bakar and his fellow introduced many things in islam showing their superiority over MUHMMED while Muhmmed never mentioned about those things in his own lifetime.If Abu bakar and his fellow could change and introduce things like CALIPHATE,TARAWEEH,QURAN,KILLI NG FOR ZAKAT and so many things, one can imagine about history of Muhmmed observed on the basis of those people and document produced during their reign or dictorship.
@topix: hope this comment will not remove by TOPIX ADMIN.I put this point because bad traditions have roots in history.
wasim ahmed

Solapur, India

#23 Mar 30, 2014
again my article is missing how??? admin should check the problem...
Warner

Edinburgh, UK

#24 Mar 30, 2014
wasim ahmed wrote:
again my article is missing how??? admin should check the problem...
When you have submitted your article, particularly if it is lengthy, ensure that you see it on the topix before you exit out. If you don't see it reverse back by pressing the return button on your computer or tablet and you will likely see that it is still there as if you have just written it, at that point you should highlight and cut your post out of the text box. Note the name of the topix heading and go right out of it. Re-enter the topix heading again and paste your article in the text box and enter the new code number and submit again. If you have not gone over the text limits then all should be well. I often have to do that procedure as it does not always submit first time!
Moe Szyslak

Sydney, Australia

#25 Mar 30, 2014
DrBen wrote:
Difference being, none of the people listed are considered as 'prophets' for a major religion/cult.

How can you take moral guidance from a guy who married someone so young?

At least the likes of Jesus or Buddha didn't engage in such behaviour.

I didn't know she was only 6, I thought she was 14 - disgusting either way tbh.
Onelawforall

London, UK

#26 Mar 31, 2014
Moe Szyslak wrote:
<quoted text>
Difference being, none of the people listed are considered as 'prophets' for a major religion/cult.
How can you take moral guidance from a guy who married someone so young?
At least the likes of Jesus or Buddha didn't engage in such behaviour.
I didn't know she was only 6, I thought she was 14 - disgusting either way tbh.
Very true. There is one hell of a difference between a king marrying a six year old and a so called prophet of god. The prophet gives god's authoruty to paedos.

Since: Mar 14

Sangli, India

#27 Mar 31, 2014
Onelawforall wrote:
<quoted text>
Very true. There is one hell of a difference between a king marrying a six year old and a so called prophet of god. The prophet gives god's authoruty to paedos.
please go through my article dated 2nd of march.....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wedding Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Taco Bell Responds To 'Leaked' Gay Commercial 6 min Who Cares 11
Homosexuality and the Bible (Aug '11) 7 min DIVINAX1X 27,244
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 38 min KiMerde 51,308
Gay marriage dynamic in U.S. shifted dramatical... 41 min Not Yet Equal 4
Ex-Virginia Gov. McDonnell guilty on 11 corrupt... 1 hr swedenforever 31
Nick Clegg 'most gay-friendly party leader' 1 hr Cleef 1
How to Witness to a Jehovah's Witness Ray Comfo... 2 hr The Real Karen 242
More from around the web