Gay Wedding Was A Trial For The Refor...

Gay Wedding Was A Trial For The Reformed Church

There are 6 comments on the National Public Radio story from Nov 25, 2012, titled Gay Wedding Was A Trial For The Reformed Church. In it, National Public Radio reports that:

In 2004, after Massachusetts legalized same-sex marriage, Dr. Norman Kansfield's daughter asked him to perform her wedding ceremony.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at National Public Radio.

“ reality, what a concept”

Since: Nov 07

this one

#2 Nov 25, 2012
Roboblogger actually hit on a decent article. Somebody must have broke it.

From the article:

"It's really a wonderful thing to know that your parents love you so much and are willing to make such sacrifices for me," says Kansfield's daughter, Ann. "But it isn't just a sacrifice for me, it was a sacrifice for all LGBT people and for the church itself."

""I'm very convinced that there is nothing in scripture which speaks against the kinds of dedicated, same-sex relationships that people are struggling to have in our day and age," Kansfield says. "Paul didn't know anything like that, that's not what Paul was writing against. That's not what Leviticus was writing against."

When asked if he ever regrets performing his daughter's wedding ceremony, Kansfield doesn't hesitate.

"It felt absolutely right to do it. It felt right before the wedding, it felt right during the wedding, it felt right after the wedding," he says. "It felt right in the trial and after the trial.""

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#3 Nov 25, 2012
I hope that another congregation has offered to ordain the father. A bunch of them, actually. A group, interfaith ordination.

That man carries the true spirit of the message.

Since: Mar 11

Location hidden

#4 Nov 25, 2012
fr "Caleb", aka DAVID MOORE OF PEKIN IL:

>No one true to the principles of the Reformed Church in America would be involved in a homosexual 'marriage...<

Davy, hasn't mommy locked the computer YET so you can't ruin it? Quit spamming the boards. We all know that it's YOU.
david traversa

Tucuman, Argentina

#5 Nov 25, 2012
Caleb wrote:
No one true to the principles of the Reformed Church in America would be involved in a homosexual 'marriage.' That would be contrary to the Holy Scriptures on which the RCA is founded:
Leviticus 18:22 - You shall not lie with a male as one lies with a female; it is an abomination.
Leviticus 20:13 - If there is a man who lies with a male as those who lie with a woman, both of them have committed a detestable act; they shall surely be put to death. Their blood guiltiness is upon them.
Romans 1:26-27 - For this reason God gave them over to degrading passions; for their women exchanged the natural function for that which is unnatural, and in the same way also the men abandoned the natural function of the woman and burned in their desire toward one another, men with men committing indecent acts and receiving in their own persons the due penalty of their error.
I Corinthians 6:9 (NIV)- Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God.
I Timothy 1:8-11 (NASB)- "But we know that the Law is good, if one uses it lawfully, realizing the fact that law is not made for a righteous person, but for those who are lawless and rebellious, for the ungodly and sinners, for the unholy and profane, for those who kill their fathers or mothers, for murderers and immoral men and homosexuals and kidnappers and liars and perjurers, and whatever else is contrary to sound teaching, according to the glorious gospel of the blessed God, with which I have been entrusted."
Always provided you believe in AND can prove that 1. God is a reality 2. He "talks" to people 3. the Levitical priests and Timothy knew more about human nature than modern science and last (but not least) that we would nowadays be willing to go along with equally recommended childish superstitions and far from childish criminal acts - all the name of "God".
Rainbow Kid

Alpharetta, GA

#6 Nov 26, 2012
Caleb wrote:
No one true to the principles of the Reformed Church in America would be involved in a homosexual 'marriage.' That would be contrary to the Holy Scriptures on which the RCA is founded:
You obviously know less than nothing about the LGBT inclusive RCA
http://www.middlechurch.org/about/history

Since: Dec 08

Toronto, ON, Canada

#7 Nov 26, 2012
Ignoring the troll, I would beg the question:

Why stay in a denomination so inimical to one's own beliefs? Political systems are worth fighting to change as they affect our real-world lives. But to fight to change an obstinate religion? As the paster on "The Simpsons" once said to Ned Flanders: Can't you just pick another one, they're really all about the same, you know?"

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wedding Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Almost one year since gay marriage ruling, LGBT... 3 hr Foxy is queer 58
[Guide] Funny maid of honor speech (Sep '14) 13 hr romyou_tx 129
News Kerryann Taylor Weds Matthew French (Mar '13) Wed Honest truth 4
News What would Jesus say about same-sex marriage? (Jul '15) Jun 29 Tre H 4,336
News The Latest: Trump says canceling Chicago rally ... Jun 28 Anonymous 1,729
News Nicole Kidman's priest says actress hopes one d... Jun 28 Anne Russell 1
News Our recommendation: Springboro voters should sa... (Feb '08) Jun 28 Levy Hater 31,925
More from around the web