Homosexuality and the Bible

Homosexuality and the Bible

There are 36052 comments on the www.smh.com.au story from Aug 15, 2011, titled Homosexuality and the Bible. In it, www.smh.com.au reports that:

Given the ongoing debate about same-sex marriage, it is time I looked at the two Testaments to remind myself why belief is so hard for me to embrace.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.smh.com.au.

Since: Feb 09

Location hidden

#21819 Nov 1, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>...you clearly view the Bible from a negative attitude. A bias that prevents you from understanding. It is a primary reason why I don't argue faith with faithless people.
How can one have a positive attitude about the following?

"Then thou shalt take an awl, and thrust it through his ear unto the door, and he shall be thy servant for ever. And also unto thy maidservant thou shalt do likewise (Deut. 15:17, KJV)."

"Your male and female slaves are to come from the nations around you; from them you may buy slaves. You may also buy some temporary residents living among you and members of their clans born in your country, and they will become your property. You can will them to your children as inherited property and you can make them slaves for life, but you must not rule over your fellow Israelites ruthlessly ( Lev. 25:44-46, NIV)."

"If a man beats his male or female slave with a rod and the slave dies as a result, he must be punished, but he is not to be punished if the slave gets up after a day or two, since the slave is his property (Ex. 21:20-21, NIV)."

"I (the Lord) will sell your sons and daughters to the people of Judah, and they will sell them to the Sabeans, a nation far away (Joel 3:8, NIV)"

"Slaves, obey your earthly masters with respect and fear, and with sincerity of heart, just as you would obey Christ. Obey them not only to win their favor when their eye is on you, but like slaves of Christ, doing the will of God from your heart. Serve wholeheartedly, as if you were serving the Lord, not men....(Eph. 6:5-7, NIV)."

"All who are under the yoke of slavery should consider their masters worthy of full respect, so that God's name and our teaching may not be slandered (1 Tim. 6:1, NIV)."

"Slaves, obey your earthy masters in everything; and do it, not only when their eye is on you and to win their favor, but with sincerity of heart and reverence for the Lord (Col. 3:22, NIV)."

"Teach slaves to be subject to their masters in everything, to try to please them, not to talk back to them,....(Titus 2:9, NIV)."

"Slaves, submit yourselves to your master with all respect, not only to those who are good and considerate, but also those who are harsh....Christ suffered for you, leaving you an example, that you should follow in his steps (1 Peter 2:18,21, NIV)."

Location hidden

#21820 Nov 1, 2013
Dusty Mangina wrote:
<quoted text>
KiMerde has a LONG history of bending passages to suit his personal view. It's really incomprehensible that he was a UCC pastor, when his personal theological perspective is more closely aligned with "First Denigrating Church of the Fundamentalist Monster Mutation".
Good point. But most Christ-insanity-ists bend passages to suit their personal view, that is what religion is.

John 1:18 "No man hath seen God at any time;..."
Exodus 33:20, And he said, Thou canst not see my face: for there shall no man see me, and live.
John 6:46 "Not that any man hath seen the Father, save he which is of God, he hath seen the Father."
1 John 4:12 "No man hath seen God at any time. If we love one another, God dwelleth in us, and his love is perfected in us."

Versus

Gen. 32:30 "And Jacob called the name of the place Peniel: for I have seen God face to face, and my life is preserved."
Exod. 33:11 "And the LORD spake unto Moses face to face, as a man speaketh unto his friend."
Num. 14:14 "...that thou LORD art seen face to face,..."
Job 42:5 "I have heard of thee by the hearing of the ear: but now mine eye seeth thee."
Deut. 34:10 "And there arose not a prophet since in Israel like unto Moses, whom the LORD knew face to face,..."
Deut. 5:4 "The LORD talked with you face to face...."

Location hidden

#21821 Nov 1, 2013
Exodus 33:20, And he said, Thou canst not see my face: for there shall no man see me, and live.

Versus

Gen. 32:30 "And Jacob called the name of the place Peniel: for I have seen God face to face, and my life is preserved."

Does "faith" mean stupidity?

Location hidden

#21822 Nov 1, 2013
God is a theory.

Location hidden

#21823 Nov 1, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
I submit that when a normal person reads a passage, they can have a pretty close idea of what is being said, without notes.
Why do you care what the Bible says? You wouldn't follow a word of it if your life depended on it.

JESUS: Matthew 25:40 MARY “Truly I tell you, whatever you do to the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you do to me.”

What you do to gay people you do to your Jesus.

And what about you minding your own business?

1 Peter 4:15 KJV, "But let none of you suffer as a murderer, or as a thief, or as an evildoer, or as a busybody in other men's matters."

Anal sex is not your matter yet you continue to be obsessed with other people engaging in the peaceful activity with other consenting adults.

It is IMPOSSIBLY for a normal person to take you seriously.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#21824 Nov 1, 2013
Reverend Alan wrote:
God is a theory.
Somewhere between a postulate and a hypothesis for most, a thesis for some, and a delusion for many.

Location hidden

#21825 Nov 1, 2013
snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
Somewhere between a postulate and a hypothesis for most, a thesis for some, and a delusion for many.
I can live with that.

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#21826 Nov 1, 2013
Reverend Alan wrote:
<quoted text>
I can live with that.
Not for long.

Since: Aug 09

Location hidden

#21827 Nov 1, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Not for long.
LOL!!!....

Long enough to get your attention and make you feel compelled to answer.

Apparently, it's working.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#21828 Nov 1, 2013
Reverend Alan wrote:
<quoted text>
Is this something new?
Not really. I guess monster mutations are a little bit deranged.

Location hidden

#21829 Nov 1, 2013
snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
Very well said.

Location hidden

#21830 Nov 1, 2013
RevKen wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL!!!....
Long enough to get your attention and make you feel compelled to answer.
Apparently, it's working.
Caught it scrolling by. Haven't bothered months to read the bulk. What is the point?

Since: Jun 13

Anchorage, AK

#21831 Nov 1, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
I submit that when a normal person reads a passage, they can have a pretty close idea of what is being said, without notes.
When I put your notes up against a passage, it is nonsensical.
You know that. That is why you focus on words, and not the context of the passage, or the context of the subject study.
Moreover, you clearly view the Bible from a negative attitude. A bias that prevents you from understanding. It is a primary reason why I don't argue faith with faithless people.
But on a practical level, I cut you by my response earlier. Why? Because even people outside of the Judeo/Christian faith consider the same things perversion. It 'shattered' your argument from the simple place of application and embarrassed you. The pride you have in picking liberal, faithless sources to paint a distorted picture of truth.
You want to lock me into your tightly controlled world. I refuse, and continually drag rev and you out into reality. That light destroys your darkness over and over.
What KiMare says above is literalism. If you cannot read a passage and understand what the Word of God says then you are putting words in the mouth of God. Foolish, and unnecessary is all attempts to view God's message by understanding the culture, the philosopy the language, Church history. KiMare has admitted here that he only goes by what his personal opinion says the passage says. He refuses to understand the grammar or even the words written for him to, with the God given grace, understand the true meaning of any passage.

In defense of my exegesis on any Biblical passage let me say that I've found what I consider the best commentary on the Bible, I use the Greek and Hebrew Interlinear Bibles, and I use translators to get a better understanding of any given word.

Example, my study on perversion listed many passages translated to say perversion and yet only two of the passages quoted actually used the translation, perversion, for the same Greek word. All the other passages, demonstrating that, there then must be many different words in the Greek language that means perversion or, OR--the word perversion either represents many words or ideas or, just means that the original language was mistranslated.

A scientist uses terminology only understood because of an education in science and math. A biblical scholar speaks in terminology used to understand all the things above mentioned to learn the true meaning of a passage.

Ever read a passage and wonder what it was saying. Well, one wonders because they do not have the education to understand what they are reading. Ex., Hebrew is a concrete language and the thought process is very foreign to English speaking readers. English is an abstract language. If speaking in German one would say, "Throw the cow over the fence some hay." Well, even if I got that wrong it demonstrates how another language must be understood. Hebrew, for example, looks at a time line differently than English. The future is the past to a Hebrew. http://www.ancient-hebrew.org/27_eternity.htm...

My word study of perversion demonstrates that the many different translations lend to a more perfect picture of what the perversion in each passage represents. Study references and the use of words to put together a better understanding of any passage in the Bible.

Anchorage, AK

#21832 Nov 1, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
My faith is clearly aligned with the Congregational roots of the UCC. That is what grew and established the UCC as a mainline denomination. The apostasy of the UCC is destroying that and making it a dying and dead denomination.
OR---------- it is an understanding that change is necessary to continually interpret God's Word. That means there is an underlying meaning, context to which applies to all generations and the UCC has become obsolete.

It also means that no one has a firm understanding of God's Word and would be committing the only real sin in the Bible, idolatry if they so state absolute truths.

No One has knowledge over and above God's knowledge. To claim one knows God's mind is blasphemous and idolatry.

Glass houses shatter.

Your house is falling down around you.

You have failed to understand change is a part of God's creation.

The UCC is implementing that change, that understanding and thier house is becoming more solid than before.

Your house will be shattered and nolonger able to shelter you.

Anchorage, AK

#21833 Nov 1, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Caught it scrolling by. Haven't bothered months to read the bulk. What is the point?
If not for you then be asurred that many others do read the bulk.

Anchorage, AK

#21834 Nov 1, 2013
I'm working on bulk KiMare. Soon. Soon. Soon your eyes will be opened.

Constantines eyes were opened on the last moments of his life. He was too scared to commit to Christianity, the Church and fail his new, changed ways. So he waited until the very last moment.

Change is good.

Location hidden

#21835 Nov 1, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
How's that sermon on anal sex going for you Pastor Greg?

Location hidden

#21836 Nov 1, 2013
akopen wrote:
<quoted text>
What KiMare says above is literalism. If you cannot read a passage and understand what the Word of God says then you are putting words in the mouth of God. Foolish, and unnecessary is all attempts to view God's message by understanding the culture, the philosopy the language, Church history. KiMare has admitted here that he only goes by what his personal opinion says the passage says. He refuses to understand the grammar or even the words written for him to, with the God given grace, understand the true meaning of any passage.
In defense of my exegesis on any Biblical passage let me say that I've found what I consider the best commentary on the Bible, I use the Greek and Hebrew Interlinear Bibles, and I use translators to get a better understanding of any given word.
Example, my study on perversion listed many passages translated to say perversion and yet only two of the passages quoted actually used the translation, perversion, for the same Greek word. All the other passages, demonstrating that, there then must be many different words in the Greek language that means perversion or, OR--the word perversion either represents many words or ideas or, just means that the original language was mistranslated.
A scientist uses terminology only understood because of an education in science and math. A biblical scholar speaks in terminology used to understand all the things above mentioned to learn the true meaning of a passage.
Ever read a passage and wonder what it was saying. Well, one wonders because they do not have the education to understand what they are reading. Ex., Hebrew is a concrete language and the thought process is very foreign to English speaking readers. English is an abstract language. If speaking in German one would say, "Throw the cow over the fence some hay." Well, even if I got that wrong it demonstrates how another language must be understood. Hebrew, for example, looks at a time line differently than English. The future is the past to a Hebrew. http://www.ancient-hebrew.org/27_eternity.htm...
My word study of perversion demonstrates that the many different translations lend to a more perfect picture of what the perversion in each passage represents. Study references and the use of words to put together a better understanding of any passage in the Bible.
You point blank lie. The only thing I said about understanding the Bible was when anyone gives their thoughts, I simply look at how it fits the context and the overall message of the Bible.

Some of the greatest abuses during the dark ages were Bible 'scholars'. That begin to end when the Bible was translated into the people's language. That principle has not changed. In fact, the Bible encourages people to 'check for themselves' if a teaching conforms to Scripture (Acts 17:11).

Moreover, the Bible was created for all people. It in fact asserts that the Holy Spirit is required to properly understand what it says, NOT theologians. Does that mean they are a worthless? No. I hold good Bible teachers as desperately needed in our day and age.

Additionally my appraisal of your motive stands. And while I would commend your study depth, you are not a Hebrew or Greek scholar. And you put a very liberal, fringe view above others that not only fit the context, but the fruit of their work bring life. Yours does not.

Location hidden

#21837 Nov 1, 2013
akopen wrote:
<quoted text>
OR---------- it is an understanding that change is necessary to continually interpret God's Word. That means there is an underlying meaning, context to which applies to all generations and the UCC has become obsolete.
It also means that no one has a firm understanding of God's Word and would be committing the only real sin in the Bible, idolatry if they so state absolute truths.
No One has knowledge over and above God's knowledge. To claim one knows God's mind is blasphemous and idolatry.
Glass houses shatter.
Your house is falling down around you.
You have failed to understand change is a part of God's creation.
The UCC is implementing that change, that understanding and thier house is becoming more solid than before.
Your house will be shattered and nolonger able to shelter you.
What you fail to understand is that the history of man is degeneration. That includes their faith. It was God's warning to the Israelites when they entered the Promise Land. It was Jesus' message to the Jews of during His ministry of 'old wine skins' It is the history of denominations, that they begin as revivals and begin a slow deterioration, and are replaced instead of revived. We are seeing the same thing with our Republic, as historians warned we would. It has even been my argument about marriage in our time.

Moreover, you falsely claim God and truth change. Direct conflict with what the Bible says. It is that very stability that we are to base our faith on. A house built on the Rock.

Location hidden

#21838 Nov 1, 2013
akopen wrote:
<quoted text>
If not for you then be asurred that many others do read the bulk.
I doubt it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wedding Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Judge rejects couple's argument for refusing ga... 23 min Just Think 182
News Gay teen against same-sex marriage heckled at u... 33 min Wondering 59
News What would Jesus say about same-sex marriage? (Jul '15) 2 hr old_moose 10,235
News Cake fundraiser supports gay marriage as Suprem... 2 hr Wondering 31
News Same-sex marriage protesters clash - exchange v... 13 hr Tea Bag Residue C... 4
News Free weddings for all same-sex couples: mayor's... Sat Rainbow Kid 9
News Worker fired for same sex 'No' vote hits out Sep 22 Wondering 24
More from around the web