Homosexuality and the Bible

Aug 15, 2011 Read more: www.smh.com.au 31,000

Given the ongoing debate about same-sex marriage, it is time I looked at the two Testaments to remind myself why belief is so hard for me to embrace.

Read more

Since: Jun 13

Anchorage, AK

#21458 Oct 21, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Interesting. You were fine with the 'rev's' view of marriage.
I've presented links to a gay site and I believe a Catholic site, if not Catholic site regarding marriage. And, although the Catholics establish marriage as a sacrament and it is apart of their Catholic faith, that does not preclude that marriage has always been religous. But, you cannot bring yourself to accept that fact, the fact that God did not establish marriage and that Judaism did not establish marriage and that the Early Church did not have any idea about marriage until Roman civil law was associated with the Early Church. Enter Catholicism. Enter Christendom.

You really don't know your history. You'll probably going to say something like, "History is not necessary to read the Bible." I get it. You are a literalist (a biblicist, a fundamentalist). You believe in absolutes and anything that deviates from your truths is just false prophesy.

They did not get it then and they don't get it now.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#21459 Oct 21, 2013
SHADOW wrote:
<quoted text>
No butch,I don't like you or your kind in my Church, unless you are there to repent and stop your nasty habits.
Come to the Church but don't try to change it to match your chosen perversion. That is all you people want to do. Corrupt the Church.
Just like marriage, there is one marriage and that is between one man and one woman. Go take you same sex union and be happy they don't try to put you in jail like they do in other countries but don't call it marriage because it isn't.
Who would want to go to your church. God isn't there.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#21460 Oct 21, 2013
akopen wrote:
<quoted text>
KiMare, until you can document that God or Jesus defines what marriage is you have no argument. I showed you what the Greek language says the translation marriage represents but you made no comment or rebuttal except to reiterate your opinion and what is Christian faith. Jesus was not of the Christian faith. Jesus was not the founder of Christian faith. Jesus' followers established the Christian faith and there in lies Christian belief. Low and behold, Christians don't agree with each other as to what Christology is all about. What a fickle mess.
Well said.

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#21461 Oct 21, 2013
akopen wrote:
<quoted text>
KiMare, until you can document that God or Jesus defines what marriage is you have no argument. I showed you what the Greek language says the translation marriage represents but you made no comment or rebuttal except to reiterate your opinion and what is Christian faith. Jesus was not of the Christian faith. Jesus was not the founder of Christian faith. Jesus' followers established the Christian faith and there in lies Christian belief. Low and behold, Christians don't agree with each other as to what Christology is all about. What a fickle mess.
Matthew 19 is my documentation.

The Church I pastored for twenty years was in fellowship with almost all the Churches including Catholic in our community during that time. We celebrated Easter sunrise together among numerous other events and participated in outreaches together.

I don't know anyone who agrees with your statement above. You must have a very small religion.

“Busting Kimare's”

Since: Feb 13

Clitty

#21462 Oct 21, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
The Church I pastored for twenty years was in fellowship with almost all the Churches including Catholic in our community during that time. We celebrated Easter sunrise together among numerous other events and participated in outreaches together.
I don't know anyone who agrees with your statement above. You must have a very small religion.
How many "sacrements" did you have?

Anchorage, AK

#21463 Oct 21, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
My documentation came directly out of the Jerome Biblical Commentary, ed., 1968. I used the NAB or Catholic Bible, ed., 1971.

I quoted and documented. You did not acknowledge that documention. If you want more documentation regarding Eunuchs, I can give you that too.

“Plays well with others.”

Since: Jun 07

LIVING WELL*THE BEST REVENGE

#21464 Oct 21, 2013
SHADOW wrote:
<quoted text>
No butch,I don't like you or your kind in my Church, unless you are there to repent and stop your nasty habits.
Come to the Church but don't try to change it to match your chosen perversion. That is all you people want to do. Corrupt the Church.
Just like marriage, there is one marriage and that is between one man and one woman. Go take you same sex union and be happy they don't try to put you in jail like they do in other countries but don't call it marriage because it isn't.
The Supreme Court of the United States begs to differ!

Anchorage, AK

#21465 Oct 21, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Reading a passage is not documentation. If you cannot reference OT passages with NT reading, or if you take a NT passage out of context or, if you don't understand Christian thought over 2000 years, your personal reading is just your opinion.

A Catholic priest asked a Protestant pastor to read a passage from the Bible about marriage for a wedding. The pastor said, excuse me Father, there is no such passage.

“Electronic graffiti”

Camp Cove

#21466 Oct 21, 2013
Dusty Mangina wrote:
<quoted text>
Your response it STILL completely irrelevant to my federally recognized civil marriage and my church sanctioned sacrament.
It's also extremely awkward that a pastor would repeatedly spell the word sacrament incorrectly (you type sacrement).
How the hell are you supposed to know what one is if you can't even spell it, Greg?
Why don't you tell me about my apostate church, as if anyone gives a shit what you think?
Sacre' bleu!

“Electronic graffiti”

Camp Cove

#21467 Oct 21, 2013
WasteWater wrote:
<quoted text>
Who would want to go to your church. God isn't there.
Good point. I bet there's not many people there either...

Since: Aug 09

Location hidden

#21468 Oct 22, 2013
Reverend Alan wrote:
Broadly speaking, the story of Horus is as follows: Horus was born on December 25th of the virgin Isis-Meri. His birth was accompanied by a star in the east, which in turn, three kings followed to locate and adorn the new-born savior. At the age of 12, he was a prodigal child teacher, and at the age of 30 he was baptized by a figure known as Anup and thus began his ministry. Horus had 12 disciples he traveled about with, performing miracles such as healing the sick and walking on water. Horus was known by many gestural names such as The Truth, The Light, God's Annointed Son, The Good Shepherd, The Lamb of God, and many others. After being betrayed by Typhon, Horus was crucified, buried for 3 days, and thus, resurrected.
These attributes of Horus, whether original or not, seem to permeate in many cultures of the world, for many other gods are found to have the same general mythological structure.
Attis, of Phyrigia, born of the virgin Nana on December 25th, crucified, placed in a tomb and after 3 days, was resurrected.
Krishna, of India, born of the virgin Devaki with a star in the east signaling his coming, performed miracles with his disciples, and upon his death was resurrected.
Dionysus of Greece, born of a virgin on December 25th, was a traveling teacher who performed miracles such as turning water into wine, he was referred to as the "King of Kings," "God's Only Begotten Son," "The Alpha and Omega," and many others, and upon his death, he was resurrected.
Mithra, of Persia, born of a virgin on December 25th, he had 12 disciples and performed miracles, and upon his death was buried for 3 days and thus resurrected, he was also referred to as "The Truth," "The Light," and many others. Interestingly, the sacred day of worship of Mithra was Sunday.
The fact of the matter is there are numerous saviors, from different periods, from all over the world, which subscribe to these general characteristics. The question remains: why these attributes, why the virgin birth on December 25th, why dead for three days and the inevitable resurrection, why 12 disciples or followers? To find out, let's examine the most recent of the solar messiahs.
Whoever it is that is marking your citations above with negative symbols has absolutely no idea of either the foundations of their own "Christian" Faith or the mythical representations of most of the other "Faiths" both ancient and modern in the world.

Location hidden

#21469 Oct 22, 2013
akopen wrote:
<quoted text>
My documentation came directly out of the Jerome Biblical Commentary, ed., 1968. I used the NAB or Catholic Bible, ed., 1971.
I quoted and documented. You did not acknowledge that documention. If you want more documentation regarding Eunuchs, I can give you that too.
And in context, your 'documentation' made no sense. It did fit your designer religion however...

I'm surprised God didn't send you instead of Jesus. Who did send you to set things 'straight'?

Location hidden

#21470 Oct 22, 2013
akopen wrote:
<quoted text>
Reading a passage is not documentation. If you cannot reference OT passages with NT reading, or if you take a NT passage out of context or, if you don't understand Christian thought over 2000 years, your personal reading is just your opinion.
A Catholic priest asked a Protestant pastor to read a passage from the Bible about marriage for a wedding. The pastor said, excuse me Father, there is no such passage.
1. And yet, when you get done, the passage is supposed to mean something totally distinct from what it says.

2. That's funny, I've heard countless passages used in weddings.

Maybe you are confused because your religion isn't Christianity?

“Crusading Fundies r hilarious!”

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#21471 Oct 22, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Not only is your response to Matthew 19 nothing but unsubstantiated denial once again, but you LIE about reference to celibacy.
God clearly created humanity, male and female, to be reunited in marriage, reflecting the full image of God. Something that is impossible for duplicate gendered couples.
Homosexuality is clearly a defective sexual disorder, the result of the fall. Or as genetic science is uncovering, a epi-marker mistake at conception.
Christian homosexuals are invited to establish godly relationships that are rich, deep and lasting as David and Jonathon did. However, marriage is reserved for a man and woman.
I warn you Ken, you are in grave eternal danger deceptively distorting what God's Word says.
2 Peter 2:1-3 (GW)
1 False prophets were among God's people {in the past}, as false teachers will be among you. They will secretly bring in their own destructive teachings. They will deny the Lord, who has bought them, and they will bring themselves swift destruction.
2 Many people will follow them in their sexual freedom and will cause others to dishonor the way of truth.
3 In their greed they will use good-sounding arguments to exploit you. The verdict against them from long ago is still in force, and their destruction is not asleep.
Oooooh Ken, Gregory Kirschmann is "warning" you. He apparently believes he has insight into your eternal fate!!!! You must be shaking in your boots!!!!

“THERE IS NO GOD”

Since: Feb 09

Northern California

#21472 Oct 22, 2013
akopen wrote:
<quoted text>
"Unfortunately, there are religious authorities in America who would like to decide, not only for their own flock, but for every American, whatever their faith or beliefs. This form of religious tyranny has nothing to do with Christianity or the Bible and everything to do with a shameless lust for power, wrapped in the disguise of a sacred institution." http://whosoever.org/v14i2/marriage.shtml
I call them Con-artists because that is what they are.

“THERE IS NO GOD”

Northern California

#21473 Oct 22, 2013
akopen wrote:
<quoted text>
Immorality is being moralistic. There is only one sin in the Bible and that is idolatry. What you need is a history lesson. Why don't you use the internet to begin your lessons on Christian thought. Really begin to understand that your idea of marriage is modern and not biblical. How can you deny yourself truth that comes with defined history. History can only be removed if lies persist.
If KiMare were to accept the truth he would no longer be able to justify harassing gay people all day long.

“THERE IS NO GOD”

Northern California

#21474 Oct 22, 2013
akopen wrote:
<quoted text>
I guess you missed my post on Matthew 19 from last night. Simple, Matthew 19 addressed the difficulties arising between three factions, Roman law, Judaism and Christianity. Given that marriage was nothing more than a civil law both in Roman law and Judaism, Christianity struggled with both expectations of Judaism (not unlike circumcision) of young Jewish men and Roman civil law requiring men to be men. The presence of Eunuchs caused radical change within the Roman Empire and the Early Church. Eusebius, a eunuch, was chosen by the Emperor to organize his court. Nobody was granted access to the Emperor without Eusebius's permission. Eusebius was also an Early Church Father.
In my estimation, Eunuchs were the downfall of the Roman Empire and the reason pedophilia exists in the Church.
As for marriage, well, Matthew 19: 10 translated "wife" and "to marry" come from the Greek, "gunaikos" and "gamEsai." These two words correctly translated mean, "woman" and "to have sex." Now, you cannot argue with "gunaikos" but the translation I give for "gamEsai," "to have sex" instead of the translation, "to marry," may take a little more convincing. Especially for you. From the Greek word, I believe to be the root of "gamEsai" is "gamos" and that word means "to f**k." This is not any different than what Genesis teaches us nor is it contrary to the Song of Solomon. Having intercourse constituted what we now call marriage. Premarital sexual intercourse.
KiMare ignores everything that does not support his narrow minded bigotry. He is a Christ-insanity-ist after all.

“THERE IS NO GOD”

Northern California

#21475 Oct 22, 2013
SHADOW wrote:
<quoted text>
More wholly unconvincing baseless assertions.

“THERE IS NO GOD”

Northern California

#21476 Oct 22, 2013
SHADOW wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't like you or your kind in my Church, unless you are there to....
I remember white people in the south saying the same thing to black people.

You pew warmers got over the equality of black people and you will get over the equality of gay people.

What you don't like is that gay equality puts another nail into Christ-insanities coffin. Good, it is time we buried that Roman reinterpretation of the Egyptian myth.

“THERE IS NO GOD”

Northern California

#21477 Oct 22, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
I warn you Ken, you are in grave eternal danger deceptively distorting what God's Word says.
pot/kettle

1 Peter 4:15 KJV, "But let none of you suffer as a murderer, or as a thief, or as an evildoer, or as a busybody in other men's matters."

ROM. 16:17-18 RSV ("I appeal to you, brethren, to take note of those who created dissensions and difficulties, in opposition to the doctrine which you have been taught; avoid them. For such persons do not serve our Lord Christ, but their own appetites, and by fair and flattering words they deceive the hearts of the simple-minded"),

That's you KiMare "the simple-minded."

What part of avoid gay people do you not understand?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wedding Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Mormon church backs Utah LGBT anti-discriminati... 8 min tongangodz 1,844
News Indiana House OKs religious objection bill by w... 10 min serfs up 186
News Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 34 min Brian_G 51,901
News How I became a Muslim bride 37 min Michael toby 24
News Father found guilty of marrying off his 12-year... 1 hr Thinking 19
News Russian trawler with 132 crew sinks, at least 5... 2 hr Sam 1
News Why I'll be voting 'No' to same-sex marriage, e... 2 hr Brian_G 1,971
More from around the web