Homosexuality and the Bible

Aug 15, 2011 | Posted by: Selecia Jones- JAX FL | Full story: www.smh.com.au

Given the ongoing debate about same-sex marriage, it is time I looked at the two Testaments to remind myself why belief is so hard for me to embrace.

Comments
18,121 - 18,140 of 24,858 Comments Last updated 44 min ago

“THERE IS NO GOD”

Since: Feb 09

Northern California

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 28, 2013

Judged:

KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
http://
What part of "it wouldn't be relevant to the topic at hand" didn't you understand KiMare? What a moron you are.

“RAINBOW POWER!”

Since: Oct 08

I Am What I Am.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 28, 2013

Judged:

KiMare wrote:
I am saying that statistically, no default parent comes close to natural parents.
Are you sure about that?
http://www.iaccenter.com/adoptive_investment....
KiMare wrote:
Hence the age old adage,'blood is thicker than water'.
There are plenty of old sayings that are simply falsehoods. Repeating "age old adages" does not make for a valid aragument.

“THERE IS NO GOD”

Northern California

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 28, 2013

Judged:

Wolfgang E B wrote:
<quoted text>
There are plenty of old sayings that are simply falsehoods. Repeating "age old adages" does not make for a valid argument.
Has anything KiMare ever said made a valid argument?

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 28, 2013

Judged:

Wolfgang E B wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you sure about that?
http://www.iaccenter.com/adoptive_investment....
<quoted text>
There are plenty of old sayings that are simply falsehoods. Repeating "age old adages" does not make for a valid aragument.
Read it closely.

Yes, adoptive parents invest more.

But they still get less that natural parents in child welfare outcome.

Age old adage; 1

Wolfy; 0

“THERE IS NO GOD”

Northern California

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 28, 2013

Judged:

KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
nonsense snipped
Read it closely.
Yes, Christian parents invest less in children than do gay parents.
Christian parents deserve less that natural non-theist gay parents in child welfare outcome.

Wolfy: 1
KiMare 0

“All your bullets ricochet”

Since: Jun 13

The South Pole

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 28, 2013

Judged:

SHADOW wrote:
<quoted text>
You, alan and the unrev need to go look in a mirror pervert and stop projecting your perverted chosen lifestyle on the rest of the normal world.
The correct expression is invert, even though it's a bit old-fashioned.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/invert
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexual_inversion... (sexology)

You're the pervert round here, sonny.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 28, 2013

Judged:

Rosa_Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>
That's right.
asd

Hawthorne, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 29, 2013

Judged:

Reverend Alan wrote:
<quoted text>
Why is it that you Christ-insanity-ists always see reality backwards?
It is the white, male, heterosexual Christian who is imposing their chosen deviancy of superiority and uniformity onto minorities who would like to be left alone.
America has planted the seeds of destruction to the pedestal that white, male, heterosexual Christians have placed themselves on. This whole entire conversation/discussion is about those not wanting to have their pedestals destroyed which forces them to share America with people they would prefer to feel superiour to.
The days of you bigots deciding what other people can and can't do with their bodies and their lives are almost over. I can hardly wait.
Dude, that is the single most telling thing about you people that refutes all claims of your deviancy being "natural:" whenever you are confronted with irrefutable truth, you always resort to name-calling, obfuscation and just simple lies.

You speak of "heterosexual Christians." Christians are people who believe in and follow the teachings of Christ. Christ taught the Bible, the Word of God. That Word says that you are an "abomination." A Christian can't be anything but heterosexual. But that doesn't mean sissies and bulldaggers can't write their own deviant bible and even open their own deviant institutions. Perhaps you all could call them "burches."

Feelings of "superiority" and desire for "uniformity" are simple character traits. Deviancies are generally physical acts. I don't think anybody is telling you people what to do with your bodies. I have never heard anybody say to one of you to not bend over, don't suck dick or a that woman shouldn't lick another woman's pussy or even do that pussy-bump thing I've heard they do.

I think that normal people just want you all to leave us the fq alone. If you want to engage in deviancy then engage the fq in deviancy: just don't involve us, and don't involve children, even your own. Other than that, Al, lick it up, suck it up, and bend on down. Free will, dude.
xxCJ_HOTxx

Buffalo, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 29, 2013

Judged:

asd wrote:
<quoted text>
Dude, that is the single most telling thing about you people that refutes all claims of your deviancy being "natural:" whenever you are confronted with irrefutable truth, you always resort to name-calling, obfuscation and just simple lies.
You speak of "heterosexual Christians." Christians are people who believe in and follow the teachings of Christ. Christ taught the Bible, the Word of God. That Word says that you are an "abomination." A Christian can't be anything but heterosexual. But that doesn't mean sissies and bulldaggers can't write their own deviant bible and even open their own deviant institutions. Perhaps you all could call them "burches."
Feelings of "superiority" and desire for "uniformity" are simple character traits. Deviancies are generally physical acts. I don't think anybody is telling you people what to do with your bodies. I have never heard anybody say to one of you to not bend over, don't suck dick or a that woman shouldn't lick another woman's pussy or even do that pussy-bump thing I've heard they do.
I think that normal people just want you all to leave us the fq alone. If you want to engage in deviancy then engage the fq in deviancy: just don't involve us, and don't involve children, even your own. Other than that, Al, lick it up, suck it up, and bend on down. Free will, dude.
Wow. Ok. Where to begin? First Jesus was anti hate. That's where you left him the first time. The more you spew out hate, you stab Jesus in the back with a knife each time.
Now for your "facts": the first of two mentions of what everyone says are the anti-gay comments, comes from the book of leviticus. Translated, it stands for "the book of the levites". If you were any kind of scholar, you would know that the levites were the priests. Simple logic says that the title therefore reads "the book of the priests." So in reality leviticus has no bearing whatsoever on anyone else but priests.
The second passage is from pauls letters to the romans. He is telling them not to commit adultery and nothing more. These soldiers were away from home for long periods of time and as any soldier in our modern day militia can attest, it's hard to stay faithful to their spouse if they are away from them for long periods of time. So, in reality, that really only applies to married men.
Third, Jesus makes no reference to homosexuality in the entire gospel. I would think, that given the hatred spewing out of peoples mouths, such as what you just did, that you'd at least have a quote from Jesus himself, backing you up and telling you why it's ok to "judge others" in this example.
Oh wait. That's right. He said the exact opposite..
Hmmm.. He also said somewhere that people who do not love others as they love God do not love God with their whole body mind and soul. He also said people like that, if they don't repent for those sins, go to hell. Btw.. I'm not judging you. I'm merely pointing out the several flaws in what you just said and your animosity towards others. Because the good book also tells us to address the sinner and make him aware of his sins so that he might repent.
Oh and one more thing.. I'm a gay Catholic with many years of Bible study behind me and a Bible teacher who can practically quote the Bible by heart. So don't even try to argue what it says with me, cause you will lose. Have a great day and God bless!
asd

Hawthorne, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 29, 2013

Judged:

xxCJ_HOTxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow. Ok. Where to begin? First Jesus was anti hate. That's where you left him the first time. The more you spew out hate, you stab Jesus in the back with a knife each time.
Now for your "facts": the first of two mentions of what everyone says are the anti-gay comments, comes from the book of leviticus. Translated, it stands for "the book of the levites". If you were any kind of scholar, you would know that the levites were the priests. Simple logic says that the title therefore reads "the book of the priests." So in reality leviticus has no bearing whatsoever on anyone else but priests.
The second passage is from pauls letters to the romans. He is telling them not to commit adultery and nothing more. These soldiers were away from home for long periods of time and as any soldier in our modern day militia can attest, it's hard to stay faithful to their spouse if they are away from them for long periods of time. So, in reality, that really only applies to married men.
Third, Jesus makes no reference to homosexuality in the entire gospel. I would think, that given the hatred spewing out of peoples mouths, such as what you just did, that you'd at least have a quote from Jesus himself, backing you up and telling you why it's ok to "judge others" in this example.
Hmmm.. He also said somewhere that people who do not love others as they love God do not love God with their whole body mind and soul. He also said people like that, if they don't repent for those sins, go to hell. Btw.. I'm not judging you. I'm merely pointing out the several flaws in what you just said and your animosity towards others. Because the good book also tells us to address the sinner and make him aware of his sins so that he might repent.
Oh and one more thing.. I'm a gay Catholic with many years of Bible study behind me and a Bible teacher who can practically quote the Bible by heart. So don't even try to argue what it says with me, cause you will lose. Have a great day and God bless!
You are right. Not a scholar. But scholarly enough to know obfuscation and simple dodging. And that's fine if that's how you want to do. Just seems that if you have a valid point you could make it without relying on so much irrelevant matter.

I don't see where you get hatred and animosity and judging. I never said they shouldn't do the dispicable things they do, just that I feel most normal people would prefer if they didn't seek so hard to impose their deviancy on the rest of society, and not try and perpetrate more of their kind by child molestation.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 29, 2013

Judged:

xxCJ_HOTxx wrote:
<quoted text>
Your distinction of Leviticus is false.

Your dilution of Paul's words is false.

Both are rejected by the vast majority of Biblical scholars throughout history, not to mention the Judeo/Christian practices of faith. Oh, and your own Catholic faith.

Jesus referred to homosexuals in Matthew 19, in addressing the Disciple's question. The first category of eunuchs is clearly homosexual celibacy.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 29, 2013

Judged:

xxCJ_HOTxx wrote:
<quoted text>
You are right however, Jesus is anti-hate. He is however pro truth. In fact, He inseparably connects truth and love.

“Busting Kimare's”

Since: Feb 13

Clitty

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 29, 2013

Judged:

KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>

Jesus referred to homosexuals in Matthew 19, in addressing the Disciple's question. The first category of eunuchs is clearly homosexual celibacy.
Opinion. I happen to think it refers to asexual men.

What is it that Jesus said deliberately, distinctly, and intentionally about homosexuals.

Still waiting....

Troll on, KiMerde.

“THERE IS NO GOD”

Northern California

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 29, 2013

Judged:

Rosa_Winkel wrote:
<quoted text>
Shadow and KiMerde are perverts the world around. Pathetic creatures who think about gay sex more than gay people do.

“THERE IS NO GOD”

Northern California

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 29, 2013

Judged:

asd wrote:
<quoted text>
It is the Bible that tells the biggest lie. Any book that says homosexuality is wrong is wrong and should never be trusted to tell us about anything.

You do not trust your Bible and you hate Jesus.

First, a true follower of Jesus would have to be extremely poor--as poor as the proverbial churchmouse. The Bible makes this quite clear:
•(a) "...none of you can be my disciple unless he gives up everything he has" (Luke 14:33);
•(b) "If you want to be perfect, go and sell all you have and give the money to the poor and you will have riches in heaven" (Matt. 19:21);
•(c) "Sell your possessions and give alms" (Luke 12:33);
•(d) "But give what is in your cups and plates to the poor, and everything will be clean for you" (Luke 11:41);
•(e) "Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt,.... But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven.... for where your treasure is, there will your heart be also" (Matt. 6:19-21);
•(f) "How hardly shall they that have riches enter to the kingdom of God" (Mark 10:23);
•(g) "Truly, I say to you, it will be hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven. Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God" (Matt. 19:23-24);
•(h) A certain ruler told Jesus that he had obeyed all the commandments from his youth up. But, Jesus said, "Yet lackest thou one thing: sell all that thou hast, and distribute unto the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, follow me" (Luke 18:22, Mark 10:21),
•and (i) Paul said, "For his sake I have suffered the loss of all things and count them as refuse, in order that I may gain Christ" (Phil. 3:8 RSV)

John 14:15 KJV, "If ye love me, keep my commandments."

Since you do not keep any of Jesus' commandments you hate him.

“THERE IS NO GOD”

Northern California

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 29, 2013

Judged:

asd wrote:
<quoted text>
Christ-insanity-ists like your self continue to make baseless unconvincing assertions that the Bible is the word of God. This proves your ignorance of Biblical teachings.

The lavish personal wealth of many Christians bears witness to their avoidance of these biblical teachings, Luke 3:11, which says, "who has two coats, let him share with him who has none; and he who has food, let him do like-wise." One can only speculate as to the number of coats Christians have in their closets. Jesus said, "Give to him who asketh thee, and from him that would borrow of thee turn not thou away" (Matt. 5:42). Asking any modern Christian individual of any Christian denomination for a sizable portion of his or its wealth would be an exercise in futility. How many biblicists attempt to obey the biblical precept which says, "and from him who takes away your coat do not withhold even your shirt. Give to every one who begs from you; and of him who takes away your goods do not ask them again" (Luke 6:29-30 RSV)? They avoid Matt. 5:40, which says, "And if any man will sue thee at the law, and take away thy coat, let him also have thy cloak." Apologists don't mind quoting the prior verse (Matt. 5:39) about turning the other cheek, because it concerns attitudes and is not concrete; no direct physical denial is involved. Turning one's cheek is far less painful and tangible than turning in dollars. The former is more nebulous and subject to interpretation. Jesus commissioned his twelve disciples to, "provide neither gold nor silver, nor brass in your purses, nor scrip for your journey, neither two coats, neither shoes, not yet staves, for the workman is worthy of his meat" (Matt. 10:9-10). If these were the morally right procedures for the disciples of Christ 2,000 years ago, then they should have some relevance to his disciples of today. But the entourage and wealth accompanying any well-known evangelist on his periodic journeys highlights the inconsistency involved.

Early Christian groups even practiced a form of communal ownership of property. "And all that believed were together, and had all things common; and sold their possessions and goods and parted them to all men, as every man had need" (Acts 2:44-45, also note Acts 4:34-37). Yet, except for a few isolated communities, today's biblicists preach the opposite.

In summary, it's not enough to avoid the accumulation of wealth; one must actively seek to eliminate whatever property may come into one's possession.(See also: Acts 20:35, Rom. 12:13, Col. 3:2, Matt. 6:24). In so far as wealth and property are concerned, Christian monks, ascetics, and some factions of the Amish, for example, are far closer to biblical teachings than any of the well-known clergymen or denominations of today. While engaged in dialogue with a minister several years ago, I noted that his Lincoln Continental parked nearby was wholly inconsistent with biblical tenets. After offering the usual apologetic rationalizations (e.g., I live a frugal life and the Bible does not require me to give away what I own), he denounced my motives and left. Neither of his excuses was accurate.

“THERE IS NO GOD”

Northern California

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 29, 2013

Judged:

asd wrote:
<quoted text> Christ taught the Bible, the Word of God.
Your level of ignorance and bigoted hatred is astoounding:

JESUS: Luke 19:27, "But those enemies of mine who did not want me to be king over them--bring them here and kill them in front of me."

Jesus must have been filled with the love of God to demand that.

2 Kings 18:27, " ...that they may eat their own dung, and drink their own piss with you?"

Eating shit and drinking piss is the word of God. Now I know.

Micah 1:12, "...evil came down from the Lord ...."

Christ-insanity is that evil.

Since: Mar 07

The entire US of A

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 29, 2013

Judged:

asd wrote:
<quoted text>
First, the "deviancy" is in your own mind. YOU are the one thinking about sex acts and the like, right? Unless you believe that living, working, loving, marrying, and everything that normal folks do is "deviant".

Because that's exactly way gay folks DO - the same things that everyone else does.

The only different is that God created gay folks with only the attraction to the same gender, for His own purposes. Yes, we do have a choice as to how we deal with that, and the majority of us choose to deal with it in the same way that YOU deal with your orientation. There is not a separate standard ONLY for gay folks.

We live, work, play, make friends, form families, raise kids, support charities, buy things, and eventually, we die.

If you want to choose a tiny difference to focus on, and imagine deviancy there, then that's your choice and your problem, but don't project it on folks you have never met.

“THERE IS NO GOD”

Northern California

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 29, 2013

Judged:

asd wrote:
<quoted text>That Word says that you are an "abomination." A Christian can't be anything but heterosexual.
A Christ-insanity-ist like yourself is the abomination. A Christ-insanity-ist can't be anything but insane and delusional.

One of the most important concepts in Christianity is original sin or the belief that all mankind has inherited a sinful nature brought about by the acts of Adam and Eve.

Rom. 5:12 "Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned:"
Rom. 5:19 "For as by one man's disobedience many were made sinners,..."
1Cor. 15:22 "For as in Adam all die,..."

Yet, no amount of theological reasoning can make an inherently unjust idea seem right. Punishing billions of people for the acts of one is not only inherently unfair and unwarranted but also in opposition to other Biblical verses such as:

Deut. 24:16 "The fathers shall not be put to death for the children, neither shall the children be put to death for the fathers.
2 Chron.25:54, "...:every man shall be put to death for his own sin."
2 Kings 14:6, "wherein the LORD commanded, saying, The fathers shall not be put to death for the children, nor the children be put to death for the fathers; but every man shall be put to death for his own sin."

Ezek. 18:20 "The soul that sinneth, it shall die. The son shall not bearthe iniquity of the father, neither shall the father bear the iniquity of the son: the righteousness of the righteous shall be upon him, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be upon him."

Ezek.33:20 "O ye house of Israel,I will judge you every one after his ways."

Jer. 31:29-30 "In those days they shall say no more, The fathers have eaten a sour grape, and the children's teeth are set on edge. But every one shall die for his own iniquity: every man that eateth the sour grape, his teeth shall be set on edge."

Rom. 2:6 "Who will render to every man according to his deeds."

Ezek. 18:4 "... the soul that sinneth, it shall die."

Each of these verses shows that every person should only be punished for those sins which he commits, not those of others.

Original sin makes about as much sense as if I were sitting at home one evening and the following occurred. The police came to my door and stated I was under arrest because my father in Europe just shot and killed someone. I responded by asking what that had to do with me and they said, "He's your father isn't he?"

“THERE IS NO GOD”

Northern California

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 29, 2013

Judged:

asd wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't think
On that we agree.

Rom.3:23 "For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God."
1Kgs. 8:46 "...for there is no man that sinneth not,...."
Prov.20:9 "Who can say, I have made my heart clean, I am pure from my sin?"
Eccl. 7:23 "For there is not a just man upon earth, that doeth good, and sinneth not."
Mark 10:18 "And Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God."
Rom. 3:10 "As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one."
(Also 1 John 1:8 & 10, Rom. 3:12, 5:12, Gal. 3:22)

Versus

Gen. 6:9 "Noah was a just man and perfect in his generations, and Noah walked with God."
Job 1:1 There was a man in the land of Uz, whose name was Job; and that man was perfect and upright, and one that feared God, and eschewed evil.
Job 1:8 "...my servant Job, that there is none like him in the earth, a perfect and an upright man, one that feareth God, and escheweth evil?" (Job 2:3)
Gen. 7:1 "And the LORD said unto Noah, Come thou and all thy house into the ark; for thee have I seen righteous before me in this generation."
Luke 1:5-6 "In the days of Herod, the king of Judaea,there was a priest named Zacharias, of the division of Abia: andhe had a wife of the daughters of Aaron, and her name was Elisabeth. And they were both righteous before God, walking in all the commandments and ordinances of the Lord blameless.(RSV)

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••