Homosexuality and the Bible

Aug 15, 2011 | Posted by: Selecia Jones- JAX FL | Full story: www.smh.com.au

Given the ongoing debate about same-sex marriage, it is time I looked at the two Testaments to remind myself why belief is so hard for me to embrace.

Comments
18,081 - 18,100 of 24,780 Comments Last updated Tuesday
Dickerman

Alexandria, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 27, 2013

Judged:

I have to say it's amazing how many stupid uneducated filthy Queer PedophiIes we have loafing on these threads. It's appalling that these uncouth perverts be allowed out in society, let alone on these threads. Take Rev. Fagg@t AKA
Rev. Alan for example, it's one of the most disgusting pieces of sh!t there is on here. It's really hard to imagine, just how many little boys he's molested in his time. It's just sickening, just sickening.

Since: Aug 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 27, 2013

Judged:

Reverend Alan wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you put yourself on a pedestal?
I am or was talking about in America the white, male, heterosexual, Christians who insisted that slavery be the law of the land in America. Who also refused to allow women to exercise their right to vote and gays to exist outside the closet.
If you are a Christian you must accept God's slavery plans, the second class citizenship of women and that gays should be put to death.
How can you claim to be a Christian when you ignore huge portions of the Bible? This is what makes Christians so unacceptable, each one has his own verses that he accepts and those he rejects.
Your Bible God tells you how slaves are to be treated, how slavery is to be regulated. Your Bible God informs you why women should not vote, as they are as much below their husbands as their husband is below Christ. And you are informed that gays "shall" be put to death.
Who the hell do you think is supposed to be doing that putting?
Excuse me. No.

You cannot and will not stereotype me under YOUR description of what a "Christian" is supposed to be.

If I look into my own genetic heritage, how far shall I go to find relevant information? 100 years? 500 years? 5,000 years?

How about 20,000 years? If I go back that far - and I can and do - what do I find? I find common DNA and RNA in my own self that can be traced to humans on every continent today. We ARE ALL the SAME. My daughter can breed with your son and vice versa. And their progeny, if that should occur, will likely be just as capable and intelligent as either you or I ever claimed to be.

NO White Male American Christian claims or insists today that slavery be the Law of the Land - any more than any Black, Fundamentalist, Evangelical "Christian" American can make the same claim.

I am sure that there are still a fair number of white male - and female - Americans, more in some vicinities than in other vicinities, that continue to call themselves "Christians" and continue to regard themselves as genetically and even spiritually superior to all other variations of humans. But, their claims are not necessarily true or valid. Just because they call themselves "Christians" does not make them so.

Hitler regarded himself to be a "Christian." Was he?
Not in my book. But, then, my book is not anything more than my own opinion and I understand that of myself. I have the right to think of Hitler, based upon my own experience and understanding of his life and legacy. I am not and was not his creator. But, I am his fellow Human Being.

Just as I am a fellow Human Being to you. Just as I am a fellow Human Being to Jesus Christ.

To be a disciple of Jesus Christ, I am not required by Him to accept any part or passage or section of the Bible as incontrovertible Truth. A good part of it was written and compiled after He left. So, it simply is what it is, regardless of the sources or translative texts that have been written, decided upon and utilized to compile the particular version being produced for reference.

In a sense, it is no more authoritative a text than is "A Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy."

That is why I don't mind your oft repeated comparisons of contradictions in biblical texts. The contradictions and errors do certainly exist just as you have presented them.

Your problem with so-called "Christians" is not with their actual beliefs. Beliefs can be changed.

Your problem is with HOW these people have come to believe what they believe. That part is ancient, traditional, institutional, cultural, tribal and even developed in subconscious patterns that are designed to pit one person against another because of perceived differences. This is how hypocrisy and bigotry persist.

And, because beliefs are like this, they take time and persistent sacrifice to change.

Rev. Ken

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 27, 2013

Judged:

Reverend Alan wrote:
<quoted text>
You are exactly right of course. One should just step over their posts like one steps over dog shit on the side walk.
No kidding. ROTFLMAO

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 27, 2013

Judged:

SHADOW wrote:
<quoted text>
You, alan and the unrev need to go look in a mirror pervert and stop projecting your perverted chosen lifestyle on the rest of the normal world.
STFU evil reprobate.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 27, 2013

Judged:

Dickerman wrote:
I have to say it's amazing how many stupid uneducated filthy Queer PedophiIes we have loafing on these threads. It's appalling that these uncouth perverts be allowed out in society, let alone on these threads. Take Rev. Fagg@t AKA
Rev. Alan for example, it's one of the most disgusting pieces of sh!t there is on here. It's really hard to imagine, just how many little boys he's molested in his time. It's just sickening, just sickening.
Nice rant bro. Now go take your meds.

“THERE IS NO GOD”

Since: Feb 09

Northern California

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 27, 2013

Judged:

RevKen wrote:
<quoted text>
Excuse me. No.
You cannot and will not stereotype me under YOUR description of what a "Christian" is supposed to be.
If I look into my own genetic heritage, how far shall I go to find relevant information? 100 years? 500 years? 5,000 years?
How about 20,000 years? If I go back that far - and I can and do - what do I find? I find common DNA and RNA in my own self that can be traced to humans on every continent today. We ARE ALL the SAME. My daughter can breed with your son and vice versa. And their progeny, if that should occur, will likely be just as capable and intelligent as either you or I ever claimed to be.
NO White Male American Christian claims or insists today that slavery be the Law of the Land - any more than any Black, Fundamentalist, Evangelical "Christian" American can make the same claim.
I am sure that there are still a fair number of white male - and female - Americans, more in some vicinities than in other vicinities, that continue to call themselves "Christians" and continue to regard themselves as genetically and even spiritually superior to all other variations of humans. But, their claims are not necessarily true or valid. Just because they call themselves "Christians" does not make them so.
Hitler regarded himself to be a "Christian." Was he?
Not in my book. But, then, my book is not anything more than my own opinion and I understand that of myself. I have the right to think of Hitler, based upon my own experience and understanding of his life and legacy. I am not and was not his creator. But, I am his fellow Human Being.
Just as I am a fellow Human Being to you. Just as I am a fellow Human Being to Jesus Christ.
To be a disciple of Jesus Christ, I am not required by Him to accept any part or passage or section of the Bible as incontrovertible Truth. A good part of it was written and compiled after He left. So, it simply is what it is, regardless of the sources or translative texts that have been written, decided upon and utilized to compile the particular version being produced for reference.
In a sense, it is no more authoritative a text than is "A Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy."
That is why I don't mind your oft repeated comparisons of contradictions in biblical texts. The contradictions and errors do certainly exist just as you have presented them.
Your problem with so-called "Christians" is not with their actual beliefs. Beliefs can be changed.
Your problem is with HOW these people have come to believe what they believe. That part is ancient, traditional, institutional, cultural, tribal and even developed in subconscious patterns that are designed to pit one person against another because of perceived differences. This is how hypocrisy and bigotry persist.
And, because beliefs are like this, they take time and persistent sacrifice to change.
Rev. Ken
I can not keep up with what Christians believe because each of you believes something different and most of the time it is at odds with what the Bible teaches. Are we to go with what the Bible says or what you believe? Do you see the problem here?

It doesn't matter what you or I believe about slavery, to be a Christian you have to give biblical teachings priority over your own personal beliefs no matter how irrational biblical teachings are.

And I have yet to meet a Christian who does not claim that other Christians are not the real thing.

Why is that?

We are very different people, you read in the Bible how slavery is established and regulated and you don't acknowledge the verses because why? They are not relevant?

I on the other hand read the slavery verses and say the Bible is a bunch of nonsense, an extreme evil that has no place in American Society.

I was a pre-teen when my gay cousin showed me in the Bible one of the 6 anti-gay verses and told me that is what he was, an abomination in the eyes of God. I told him that any book that says homosexuality is wrong is not worth reading.

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 27, 2013

Judged:

Wolfgang E B wrote:
<quoted text>
No I'm not. This is the first I've heard of any debate. I thought everyone knew divorce sucks for kids. That should be common knowledge.
<quoted text>
Social constraints have varied in type and strictness from time to time, culture to culture, throughout history. Has there ever been any more or less promiscuity? We can't know for sure, but I think not. The stricter the social mores, the more discreet people are about their sexual escapades, but they're still going on just as much as at any other time.
I've long been an advocate for reducing promiscuity. The fewer unwanted pregnancies and STDs, the better. If everybody were smart about sex, we could eliminate both entirely. Wishful thinking, I know.
<quoted text>
So, you're against adoption? What then should we do with all the parentless children?
I'm not going to get into a debate about abortion.
I accept your conceding on the first two points.

Where did I insinuate that I'm against adoption?

I simply and accurately point out that if you destroy the sense of value of life, and the closest relationships we can possess, is it any wonder children pick that value system up and return the favor?

You deny that blood is thicker than water. You assert that there is no difference between the only person in life you will know as a biological mother or father, and any Tom and Dick. And the child says,'okay'.

That is the only way to understand a prophecy that indicates the loss of that distinction.
InfoMan

Ballwin, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 27, 2013

Judged:

Reverend Alan wrote:
And I have yet to meet a Christian who does not claim that other Christians are not the real thing.
Why is that?
We are very different people, you read in the Bible how slavery is established and regulated and you don't acknowledge the verses because why? They are not relevant?
I on the other hand read the slavery verses and say the Bible is a bunch of nonsense, an extreme evil that has no place in American Society.
I was a pre-teen when my gay cousin showed me in the Bible one of the 6 anti-gay verses and told me that is what he was, an abomination in the eyes of God. I told him that any book that says homosexuality is wrong is not worth reading.
um, Protestants?
plenty of Christians may not acknowledge other's whom effectively follow the same faith to be 'true' Christians...

that being said, the problem with the Bible (and all religion for that matter) is simply no one really reads it all. Those that praise it ignore the bad parts, those that hate it ignore the good parts.

Oh the bible says Homosexuality is an abomination!
- yeah, a few passages before most of those quotes also states that the Unchaste Woman should be put to death for not waiting for a husband to marry her. That's like 2/3rds of the 'single female' population right there.

Oh the bible is bad, it says Having Slaves is alright!
- and it gives you guide lines, rules, obligations, and restrictions on how you can treat them. when those rules are followed, those slaves don't have that different a relationship as employee's have with their employer.
Join Free
SHADOW

Boerne, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 27, 2013

Judged:

WasteWater wrote:
<quoted text>
STFU evil reprobate.
WOW, do you eat with that same mouth??
Does your mommy know you talk like that? Bet not.
SHADOW

Boerne, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 27, 2013

Judged:

WasteWater wrote:
<quoted text>
Nice rant bro. Now go take your meds.
"Dickerman wrote:
Rev. Alan for example, it's one of the most disgusting pieces of sh!t there is on here. It's really hard to imagine, just how many little boys he's molested in his time. It's just sickening, just sickening."
Can't adress the post fagg@t

“RAINBOW POWER!”

Since: Oct 08

I Am What I Am.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 27, 2013

Judged:

KiMare wrote:
Where did I insinuate that I'm against adoption?
KiMare wrote:
You deny that blood is thicker than water. You assert that there is no difference between the only person in life you will know as a biological mother or father, and any Tom and Dick. And the child says,'okay'.
That is the only way to understand a prophecy that indicates the loss of that distinction.
Okay, I'm not entirely sure what you're saying here. You seem to be insinuating that biological parents are always superior to adoptive parents. That simply isn't true, and not just "any Tom and Dick" can be a good father. Raising a child well requires an enormous self-sacrifice that not everyone is willing to make.

Also, as RevKen pointed out, we're all related to one another by blood; the entire human species is one big family.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 27, 2013

Judged:

Wolfgang E B wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Okay, I'm not entirely sure what you're saying here. You seem to be insinuating that biological parents are always superior to adoptive parents. That simply isn't true, and not just "any Tom and Dick" can be a good father. Raising a child well requires an enormous self-sacrifice that not everyone is willing to make.
Also, as RevKen pointed out, we're all related to one another by blood; the entire human species is one big family.
Your mother and father is no different from anyone else?

“RAINBOW POWER!”

I Am What I Am.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 27, 2013

Judged:

KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Your mother and father is no different from anyone else?
Everyone is different from everyone else. We're all unique.

My biological mother and father raised me, though I might have been better off if I'd been adopted by parents who understood me better.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 27, 2013

Judged:

Wolfgang E B wrote:
<quoted text>
Everyone is different from everyone else. We're all unique.
My biological mother and father raised me, though I might have been better off if I'd been adopted by parents who understood me better.
Do you think that represents a majority view of people towards their parents?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 27, 2013

Judged:

SHADOW wrote:
<quoted text>
"Dickerman wrote:
Rev. Alan for example, it's one of the most disgusting pieces of sh!t there is on here. It's really hard to imagine, just how many little boys he's molested in his time. It's just sickening, just sickening."
Can't adress the post fagg@t
Go have another drink fool.

“RAINBOW POWER!”

I Am What I Am.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 27, 2013

Judged:

KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you think that represents a majority view of people towards their parents?
I have no idea what the majority view is. I'm just saying that your notion of biological parents always being what's best for children is false. Sometimes adoption is what's best.

There was a time when extended families lived together and children were raised by the whole family. That was much better for them than the nearly-isolated nuclear family of today.

“ WOOF ! ”

Since: Nov 12

33.00, -111.51

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 27, 2013

Judged:

Wolfgang E B wrote:
<quoted text>
I have no idea what the majority view is. I'm just saying that your notion of biological parents always being what's best for children is false. Sometimes adoption is what's best.
There was a time when extended families lived together and children were raised by the whole family. That was much better for them than the nearly-isolated nuclear family of today.
When I was a kid living in Queens Village (we moved to Commack when I was 10 years old.:(), even as a kid I could tell you the names of the people that lived in every single house on our block of 215th Street (between 93rd Ave. & 94th Ave.) I would venture to say most people nowadays in the U.S. cannot name their next-door neighbors nor the person who lives across the street from them.

With numerous ways to connect to one another nowadays thru electronic wizardry, we seem to be talking a whole lot more, but to less and less people.

While our electronic communications devices have brought us undrempt-of convenience, allowing us to communicate thru voice, text, video, email, etc. to whomever we want whenever we want, they have also allowed us to wall ourselves off in our own small cubicle of life.

When is the last time a friend or acquaintance stopped by your house just to to say, "Hi, I have missed you, let's chat." ?

Our electronic communications devices, i.e. the web, celfones, etc. have greatly expanded our world, and been beneficial to us in many ways, but it seems to have been a double-edged sword, cutting us off from spontaneity, chance meetings, and making new friends.

All of this was certainly unplanned, and largely unforeseen. Many people are literally addicted to their electronics and cannot "disconnect".

Hence, many people now live inside a self-made "bubble", largely cut off from the people who are literally closest to them.

It's a strange world we have made for ourselves.....

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 27, 2013

Judged:

Fa-Foxy wrote:
<quoted text>
When I was a kid living in Queens Village (we moved to Commack when I was 10 years old.:(), even as a kid I could tell you the names of the people that lived in every single house on our block of 215th Street (between 93rd Ave. & 94th Ave.) I would venture to say most people nowadays in the U.S. cannot name their next-door neighbors nor the person who lives across the street from them.
With numerous ways to connect to one another nowadays thru electronic wizardry, we seem to be talking a whole lot more, but to less and less people.
While our electronic communications devices have brought us undrempt-of convenience, allowing us to communicate thru voice, text, video, email, etc. to whomever we want whenever we want, they have also allowed us to wall ourselves off in our own small cubicle of life.
When is the last time a friend or acquaintance stopped by your house just to to say, "Hi, I have missed you, let's chat." ?
Our electronic communications devices, i.e. the web, celfones, etc. have greatly expanded our world, and been beneficial to us in many ways, but it seems to have been a double-edged sword, cutting us off from spontaneity, chance meetings, and making new friends.
All of this was certainly unplanned, and largely unforeseen. Many people are literally addicted to their electronics and cannot "disconnect".
Hence, many people now live inside a self-made "bubble", largely cut off from the people who are literally closest to them.
It's a strange world we have made for ourselves.....
How very true and interesting. People don't put down those kind of roots anymore do they.

Since: Aug 13

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 28, 2013

Judged:

I've got an old friend who claims his mother made him a homosexual. He also told me that if I buy the yarn she would make me one too. I now have a whole collection. She really does nice work!

“THERE IS NO GOD”

Since: Feb 09

Northern California

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 28, 2013

Judged:

InfoMan wrote:
<quoted text>
um, Protestants?
plenty of Christians may not acknowledge other's whom effectively follow the same faith to be 'true' Christians...
that being said, the problem with the Bible (and all religion for that matter) is simply no one really reads it all. Those that praise it ignore the bad parts, those that hate it ignore the good parts.
Oh the bible says Homosexuality is an abomination!
- yeah, a few passages before most of those quotes also states that the Unchaste Woman should be put to death for not waiting for a husband to marry her. That's like 2/3rds of the 'single female' population right there.
Oh the bible is bad, it says Having Slaves is alright!
- and it gives you guide lines, rules, obligations, and restrictions on how you can treat them. when those rules are followed, those slaves don't have that different a relationship as employee's have with their employer.
If you have a bowl of sugar on the kitchen table and it is full of fly turds do you still use it to sweeten your coffee knowing the fly turds are so numerous they can not be removed?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••