Homosexuality and the Bible

Aug 15, 2011 Full story: www.smh.com.au 27,056

Given the ongoing debate about same-sex marriage, it is time I looked at the two Testaments to remind myself why belief is so hard for me to embrace.

Full Story

“THERE IS NO GOD”

Since: Feb 09

Northern California

#18077 May 22, 2013
Thats Right wrote:
<quoted text>
You're not a messenger fagg@t, you're a piece of Sh!t.
Congratulations of spelling "you're" correctly, it is your first time right?

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#18078 May 22, 2013
MiddleWay wrote:
<quoted text>
Abbreviation Name Date
1)CKJV Children's King James Version Jay P. Green 1960
2)KJ II King James II Version of the Bible Jay P. Green 1971
3)KJV20 King James Version—Twentieth Century Edition Jay P. Green
4)NKJV New King James Version 1982
5)KJ21 21st Century King James Version 1994
6)TMB Third Millennium Bible 1998
7)MKJV Modern King James Version 1999
8)AKJV American King James Version[1] 1999
9)KJV2000 King James 2000 Version[2] 2000
10)UKJV Updated King James Version[3] 2000
11)KJVER King James Version Easy Reading[4] 2001
12)HSE Holy Scriptures in English[5] 2001
13)CKJV Comfort-able King James Version[6][7] 2003
14)NCPB New Cambridge Paragraph Bible[8] 2005
15)AV7 AV7 (New Authorized Version) 2006
16)AVU Authorized Version Update[9] 2006
17)RV (British) Revised Version 1881–5
18)ASV American Standard Version 1901
19)RSV Revised Standard Version 1952, 1971
20)NASB New American Standard Bible 1971, 1995
21)NRSV New Revised Standard Version 1989
22)ESV English Standard Version 2001, 2007, 2011
23)WEB World English Bible In progress
24)REV Revised English Version[10] In progress
25)NIV New International Version 1978, 1984, 2011[11]
26)NIrV New International Reader's Version 1996
27)TLB The Living Bible 1971
28)GNT/GNB/TEV Good News Translation/Good News Bible/Today's English Version 1976, 1992
29)CEV Contemporary English Version 1995
30)GW God's Word 1995
31)NLT New Living Translation 1996, 2004, 2007
32)MSG The Message 2002
33)RNT Restored New Testament 2009
There, did you three better.
Why so many different versions and I haven't even gotten the the roman translations, the Septuagint translations, the Mormon translation etc. etc.
Does if make you feel bad that you are so uneducated in this department while trying to blow your one note horn?
Let me know if you need the rest and I'll tell you it's as simple to find as using google.
Those who seek......
I noticed King James repeated quite a bit...

I also noticed it is still a far cry from the ninety you claimed.

Snicker.

“THERE IS NO GOD”

Northern California

#18079 May 22, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>I could have quoted Christ saying the whole Law is fulfilled in just two commandments and answered your challenge.
But you didn't so you can't.

I could have made a square circle but I don't want to. Yawn.

Jesus--"Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy but to fulfill. For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled. Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments and shall teach men so, he shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven...." (Matt. 5:17-19) and "it is easier for heaven and earth to pass, than one tittle of the law to fall" (Luke 16:17) and "The scribes and the Pharisees sit in Moses' seat: all therefore whatsoever they bid you observe, that observe and do" (Matt. 23:2-3) and (John 7:19, Mark 1:44)

versus

Paul--"Wherefore, my brethren, ye also are become dead to the law by the body of Christ" (Rom. 7:4) and "Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law" (Gal. 3:13) and "For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace" (Rom. 6:14) and "But now we are delivered from the law, that being dead wherein we were held; that we should serve in newness of spirit, and not in the oldness of the letter" (Rom. 7:6) and (Rom. 10:4, 3:28, Gal. 3:23-25, 5:2-4, 18, 2:19, 21, 16, 4:10, Eph. 2:15, Col. 2:14, 16, Heb. 7:19, 1 Cor. 8:8 and many others).

Jesus said the law would stand till heaven and earth passed, while Paul said it need no longer be followed.

“THERE IS NO GOD”

Northern California

#18080 May 22, 2013
Jesus--"Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy but to fulfill. For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled. Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments and shall teach men so, he shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven...." (Matt. 5:17-19)

Eccles. 1:4, "One generation passeth away, and another generation cometh: but the earth abideth for ever.

Since the earth abideth forever it will not pass, therefore the old law remains in effect no matter how many of you Paultians state otherwise.

“THERE IS NO GOD”

Northern California

#18081 May 22, 2013
RevKen wrote:
<quoted text>
... that the observer is inextricably related to the observed.
There is an observer in each of us. We can not observe ourselves because we are the object that is observed. How do we awaken the observer?

That is the first clue as to how the Universe maintains itself. Human beings are as necessary for the maintaining of the Universe as is gravity, and IF they can awaken the observer can participate in what the Universe is doing.

Being in the active state of participating, you would call that heaven.

“THERE IS NO GOD”

Northern California

#18082 May 22, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
I noticed ....I also noticed ....
And yet you can not notice that the Bible is so full of errors, contradictions and fallacies that it is disqualified as a reliable source of information about everything including homosexuality.

“THERE IS NO GOD”

Northern California

#18083 May 22, 2013
Dusty Mangina wrote:
<quoted text>
The Bible does no such thing. It condemns rape, violence, and idolatry. It says not ONE THING about homosexual love. Show me where Jesus condemns a loving same-sex couple. Waiting....
Actually God's favorite person King David has plenty to say about homosexual love:

2 SAM. 1:26, "David said, "I am distressed for thee, my brother Jonathan: very pleasant hast thou been unto me: thy love to me was wonderful, passing the love of women"

And rape and violence are practiced by God through out the whole enitre Bible.

Remember, the Virgin Mary was only 12 years old when God knocked her up via the Holy Spook. And God wiped out the whole entire surface of the earth, that is pretty violent if you ask me.

"...shall there be evil in a city, and the Lord hath not done it?"
(Amos 3:6).

agnostic

UK

#18084 May 22, 2013
alternative wrote:
<quoted text>
Please note that Jesus said nothing about homosexuality. Nowhere in the Bible does it say that homosexuality is a sin. The biblical definition of abomination is that it is a sin (Leviticus 20:25,26.) Nor was the sin of Sodom, homosexuality (Ezekiel 16:46-51.) All other passages referring to Sodom and Gomorrah refer to Ezekiel's take on the sin of Sodom. Fornication refers to pedophilia, temple sex. Adultery was about women as property. Marriage, not biblical, was a civil union from the beginning. It was not important to the Catholic Church until the Council of Trent; approximately, 1450 AD. With Judaism, marriage was a contract. Genesis says nothing about marriage. Marriage was not an ancient Hebrew word and neither was wife. Genesis also spoke of Lamech taking two women. Ever consider that mankind was set up to fail if Eve did not have sex with her sons. Incest was necessary if man was to multiply as commanded. No, God does not tell us what is marriage. The Bible only speaks of marriage. I taught my kids to be responsible with everything they do including sex. I also taught them that there are consequences with everything they do. Jesus speaks the same wisdom. You lay you pay. What is honorable and what is righteous. What is justice. What then is what moral. Nothing immoral about homosexuality.
READ Sodom and Gomorrah Geneses chapter 19
Join Free

Since: Aug 09

Location hidden

#18086 May 22, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
I noticed King James repeated quite a bit...
I also noticed it is still a far cry from the ninety you claimed.
Snicker.
Dear Mr. MARS Bar's dufus cousin,

What you noticed is a bunch of published versions of the bible that are claimed to be almost KJV, but not exactly, for various reasons and translated passages. Not Exactly - that is a few jots and a few tittles having gone by the wayside or added for purposes of convenience, shall we say.

They are NOT the same.

You asked for thirty. You got more than thirty. Are there actually more than ninety? Oh, yes. And if for no other reason than the bible has been translated and published into many different languages, requiring the uses of varying phraseology and differences in conceptual description that do not translate exactly from one to another, since it was first mass published near 500 years ago. Of course, the list above doesn't even mention the many versions that were hand written and translated during the 800 years before the mass publishing began.

- Just like the original language of Aramaic does not convert directly into Greek or Latin or Syrian.

Do you think Jesus minds that there are all of these variations and differences, including the many different Gospels and scriptural and religious texts that for one reason or another were not included in the first versions that eventually became the canonical texts?

No. Not really. All that they are are various texts; scriptural compilations intended to help with the development of personal spiritual and moral practices and a set of guideposts for development of communities of Christian discipleship. Never were they ever intended to be texts used to justify the condemnation of people perceived to be somehow different.

Put some milk chocolate, caramel and nuts on that ...

Mr. Sick Snickerdoodle.

Location hidden

#18087 May 22, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>I could have quoted Christ saying the whole Law is fulfilled in just two commandments and answered your challenge.
Reverend Alan wrote:
<quoted text>
But you didn't so you can't.
I could have made a square circle but I don't want to. Yawn.
Jesus--"Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy but to fulfill. For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled. Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments and shall teach men so, he shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven...." (Matt. 5:17-19) and "it is easier for heaven and earth to pass, than one tittle of the law to fall" (Luke 16:17) and "The scribes and the Pharisees sit in Moses' seat: all therefore whatsoever they bid you observe, that observe and do" (Matt. 23:2-3) and (John 7:19, Mark 1:44)
versus
Paul--"Wherefore, my brethren, ye also are become dead to the law by the body of Christ" (Rom. 7:4) and "Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law" (Gal. 3:13) and "For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace" (Rom. 6:14) and "But now we are delivered from the law, that being dead wherein we were held; that we should serve in newness of spirit, and not in the oldness of the letter" (Rom. 7:6) and (Rom. 10:4, 3:28, Gal. 3:23-25, 5:2-4, 18, 2:19, 21, 16, 4:10, Eph. 2:15, Col. 2:14, 16, Heb. 7:19, 1 Cor. 8:8 and many others).
Jesus said the law would stand till heaven and earth passed, while Paul said it need no longer be followed.
1. Yeah, I can add anything I want. You simply can't handle it because you are out of your league.

2. Paul said no such thing. You don't know what you are talking about again.

Smirk.

Location hidden

#18088 May 22, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
I noticed ....I also noticed ....
Reverend Alan wrote:
<quoted text>
And yet you can not notice that the Bible is so full of errors, contradictions and fallacies that it is disqualified as a reliable source of information about everything including homosexuality.
I noticed you severely redacted my post so you could change the subject and avoid admitting you were wrong.

I have yet to see you deal with one point you bring up and I address.

You are a coward hiding in the vain attempt to not be exposed as an idiot.

It's not working...

Smirk.

Location hidden

#18089 May 22, 2013
Reverend Alan wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually God's favorite person King David has plenty to say about homosexual love:
2 SAM. 1:26, "David said, "I am distressed for thee, my brother Jonathan: very pleasant hast thou been unto me: thy love to me was wonderful, passing the love of women"
And rape and violence are practiced by God through out the whole enitre Bible.
Remember, the Virgin Mary was only 12 years old when God knocked her up via the Holy Spook. And God wiped out the whole entire surface of the earth, that is pretty violent if you ask me.
"...shall there be evil in a city, and the Lord hath not done it?"
(Amos 3:6).
That's like me exposing your pedophilic record, your sexual relationship with your father, and the twelve year old neighbor boy you analized.

Smile.

Location hidden

#18090 May 22, 2013
RevKen wrote:
<quoted text>
Dear Mr. MARS Bar's dufus cousin,
What you noticed is a bunch of published versions of the bible that are claimed to be almost KJV, but not exactly, for various reasons and translated passages. Not Exactly - that is a few jots and a few tittles having gone by the wayside or added for purposes of convenience, shall we say.
They are NOT the same.
You asked for thirty. You got more than thirty. Are there actually more than ninety? Oh, yes. And if for no other reason than the bible has been translated and published into many different languages, requiring the uses of varying phraseology and differences in conceptual description that do not translate exactly from one to another, since it was first mass published near 500 years ago. Of course, the list above doesn't even mention the many versions that were hand written and translated during the 800 years before the mass publishing began.
- Just like the original language of Aramaic does not convert directly into Greek or Latin or Syrian.
Do you think Jesus minds that there are all of these variations and differences, including the many different Gospels and scriptural and religious texts that for one reason or another were not included in the first versions that eventually became the canonical texts?
No. Not really. All that they are are various texts; scriptural compilations intended to help with the development of personal spiritual and moral practices and a set of guideposts for development of communities of Christian discipleship. Never were they ever intended to be texts used to justify the condemnation of people perceived to be somehow different.
Put some milk chocolate, caramel and nuts on that ...
Mr. Sick Snickerdoodle.
His contention is that there are over 90 different interpretations of original text.
-He ignores the need to up date language, just as any ancient text requires.
-He confuses interpretations with translations
-YOU add translations into other languages to try to help the reprobate. Birds of a feather...

2 Timothy 3:16-17 (NASB)
All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness;
17 so that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work.

Smile.

“Busting Kimare's”

Since: Feb 13

Clitty

#18091 May 22, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Luke 16:17 (NASB)
"But it is easier for heaven and earth to pass away than for one stroke of a letter of the Law to fail."
Smile.
You are not waiting for anything. You are in denial and full of shit.
I could have quoted Christ saying the whole Law is fulfilled in just two commandments and answered your challenge.
Smile.
And yet this doesn't address homosexual love at all, does it?

Still waiting.
PNR1994

Camp Hill, PA

#18092 May 22, 2013
Y'all bunch a loonies. Man is created in gods image. So if man should be a homosexual, so is god. The fact that you people spend time bashing gays just tells me that you blindly follow a non sentient being like sheep and you'll do anything if "god" tells you to. What if this god told you to make love with a person of the same sex? Would you do it? Probably not because you would rather get hung up on it and poison yourself with cyanide to see if god was just messing with you. The other thing... Aren't you supposed to love all of gods creation. I mean seriously most of the major wars in history were caused by religion, simply because you hate someone that is different or believes differently. Millions of lives lost because of that. You people don't learn from history and are doomed to repeat it.

Since: Aug 09

Location hidden

#18093 May 22, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
His contention is that there are over 90 different interpretations of original text.
-He ignores the need to up date language, just as any ancient text requires.
-He confuses interpretations with translations
-YOU add translations into other languages to try to help the reprobate. Birds of a feather...
2 Timothy 3:16-17 (NASB)
All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness;
17 so that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work.
Smile.
Nope.

His post #18024 was in response to your inconsistencies.

Here is what he wrote:

"If God's word were unchanging there wouldn't be over 90 DIFFERENT versions just in English alone.

Is God's revelation to us now dead? We no longer need to hear from Him?

Tsk tsk to those who think God lives in a book...."

Whereupon you challenged him to list 30 versions. He listed 33 and gave reference to a whole lot more. I followed, saying that there are plenty more than that. Even the most genuine translations, first presented in the mid 1500's, were compiled from hand-written translations of the 1200's that were both Greek and Latin.

The language of Jesus was Aramaic.

Middleway's point is well made and should be acknowledged by all who would regard themselves as "Christian," no matter how they would define the moniker for themselves.

Christ does not exist, live, reside or abide in the pages of a book, no matter how seemingly special the texts of any book may seem to be.

Revelation is the domain and act of the Holy Spirit. Revelation is not an act that jumps out of any book. It is the living recognition of truth that exists in your heart and mind and that can be helped to see by the action of consciousness bestowed upon a person from within, by the Holy Spirit.

Truth.

God is real, alive and IS the core of Being. God IS Love, Light and Life; consciousness at every level and even Beyond consciousness.

You make excuses for your insistence upon relying on the content of a book, which reliance has always been your personal interpretation made at another's expense.

YOU are the reprobate, hiding behind the scripture with quotes from Timothy that you don't understand.

Rev. Ken

Location hidden

#18094 May 22, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
"But it is easier for heaven and earth to pass away than for one stroke of a letter of the Law to fail."
Smile.
I could have quoted Christ saying the whole Law is fulfilled in just two commandments and answered your challenge.
Smile.
Dusty Mangina wrote:
<quoted text>
And yet this doesn't address homosexual love at all, does it?
Still waiting.
Of course it addresses gay sex, just as the Law says, gay sex is inherently harmful, unhealthy and demeaning.

Smile.

Location hidden

#18095 May 22, 2013
RevKen wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope.
His post #18024 was in response to your inconsistencies.
Here is what he wrote:
"If God's word were unchanging there wouldn't be over 90 DIFFERENT versions just in English alone.
Is God's revelation to us now dead? We no longer need to hear from Him?
Tsk tsk to those who think God lives in a book...."
Whereupon you challenged him to list 30 versions. He listed 33 and gave reference to a whole lot more. I followed, saying that there are plenty more than that. Even the most genuine translations, first presented in the mid 1500's, were compiled from hand-written translations of the 1200's that were both Greek and Latin.
The language of Jesus was Aramaic.
Middleway's point is well made and should be acknowledged by all who would regard themselves as "Christian," no matter how they would define the moniker for themselves.
Christ does not exist, live, reside or abide in the pages of a book, no matter how seemingly special the texts of any book may seem to be.
Revelation is the domain and act of the Holy Spirit. Revelation is not an act that jumps out of any book. It is the living recognition of truth that exists in your heart and mind and that can be helped to see by the action of consciousness bestowed upon a person from within, by the Holy Spirit.
Truth.
God is real, alive and IS the core of Being. God IS Love, Light and Life; consciousness at every level and even Beyond consciousness.
You make excuses for your insistence upon relying on the content of a book, which reliance has always been your personal interpretation made at another's expense.
YOU are the reprobate, hiding behind the scripture with quotes from Timothy that you don't understand.
Rev. Ken
Versions vs translations. I stand by my comments.

You attempt to divide God from His Word. Heresy.

Moreover, your fruit is dead and dying.

I understand you perfectly well.

Smile.
PNR1994

Camp Hill, PA

#18096 May 22, 2013
KiMare wrote:
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Smile.
Smile.
<quoted text>
Of course it addresses gay sex, just as the Law says, gay sex is inherently harmful, unhealthy and demeaning.
Smile.
How is it harmful other than to the extent that you could go to hell for it. God forgives sins and you should to. You people disgust me. You are like sheep prancing in a field that is surrounded by barbed wire fence and guys with machine guns shouting orders at you.

Location hidden

#18097 May 22, 2013
PNR1994 wrote:
<quoted text>
How is it harmful other than to the extent that you could go to hell for it. God forgives sins and you should to. You people disgust me. You are like sheep prancing in a field that is surrounded by barbed wire fence and guys with machine guns shouting orders at you.
The question is, what does the Bible say about homosexuality? The vast bulk of Judeo/Christian understanding is that it is immoral.

If you want to ask about homosexuality outside the Bible, science cannot explain it yet (Epi-marker mistake is most likely going to be the answer shortly). Unlike most evolutionary issues, scientists have been unable to discover a purpose, leaving it in the category of a sexual defect. A failure of mating behavior.

From a medical perspective, it is a violation of design. A pointless duplication. Or in the case of gays, the inherent harm, unhealthiness and demeaning nature of anal sex.

The bottom line, while most likely a defect, ss orientation is not wrong in it's self. The sexual act however is immoral.

God forgives when we repent.

Smile.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wedding Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Pastors opposed to gay marriage swear off all c... 20 min Rick in Kansas 74
Gay marriage comes to Missouri. Wait ... what? 25 min Rick in Kansas 103
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 26 min KiMerde 51,306
How to Witness to a Jehovah's Witness Ray Comfo... 4 hr QUITTNER Dec 28 2014 230
Happily ever after? Charges reduced to one year... 5 hr david traversa 1
Same-sex unions outdo civil ones - women the le... 9 hr Fa-Foxy 2
Religious freedom bill coming to Indiana 9 hr Fa-Foxy 13
More from around the web