Homosexuality and the Bible

Homosexuality and the Bible

There are 36053 comments on the www.smh.com.au story from Aug 15, 2011, titled Homosexuality and the Bible. In it, www.smh.com.au reports that:

Given the ongoing debate about same-sex marriage, it is time I looked at the two Testaments to remind myself why belief is so hard for me to embrace.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.smh.com.au.

“Trolls are Clueless”

Since: Dec 07

Aptos, California

#17796 Apr 24, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Again,
God destroyed an entire city because of 'uncharitableness'?
Angel in the passage does not mean 'of God'.
Smile.
If the Angels were sent by God as messengers, then both they and there message would be 'of God,' denoting a relationship. The position you are taking here by negating their relationship to God also negates the Bible's relationship to God.

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#17797 Apr 24, 2013
MiddleWay wrote:
<quoted text>
Hebrew "malak" is the standard Hebrew Bible word for "messenger", both human and divine, though it is less used for human messengers in Modern Hebrew.
[1] In the King James Bible the noun malak is rendered "angel" 111x, "messenger" 98x, "ambassadors" 4x.
[2] The noun derives from the verbal consonantal root l-'-k
, meaning "to send". This root is attested in Hebrew only in this noun and in the noun "Melakah" , meaning "work". The term "Malak" therefore simply means one who is sent, often translated as "messenger" when applied to humans; for instance, "Malak" is the root of the name of the prophet Malachi, whose name means "my messenger". In modern Hebrew, malak is the general word for "angel"; it is also the word for "angel" in Arabic (malak), Aramaic and Ethiopic.
Your free lesson for the day.....
Thank you for proving my point. The word used means 'messenger'.

God destroyed a city because they were inhospitable?

Smile

Location hidden

#17798 Apr 24, 2013
WasteWater wrote:
<quoted text>
You have missed one of the most important points of the myth. The crowd was both blind and blinded by the light which speaks of their inability to see God in others.
Thats even worse! God killed god in the people of an entire city because they didn't see god in a couple people? Do you think about what you write?

Snicker.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#17799 Apr 24, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Thats even worse! God killed god in the people of an entire city because they didn't see god in a couple people? Do you think about what you write?
Snicker.
No, the people were Godless and didn't take care of the poor and needy.

Ezekiel 16:49
“‘Now this was the sin of your sister Sodom: She and her daughters were arrogant, overfed and unconcerned; they did not help the poor and needy."

Location hidden

#17800 Apr 24, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Snicker.
WasteWater wrote:
<quoted text>
No, the people were Godless and didn't take care of the poor and needy.
Ezekiel 16:49
“‘Now this was the sin of your sister Sodom: She and her daughters were arrogant, overfed and unconcerned; they did not help the poor and needy."
So now we are back to God killing an entire city because they were inhospitable?

This is what happens when faithless people try to deal with faith.

Idiot.

Snicker.

Since: Aug 09

Location hidden

#17801 Apr 25, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Keep twirling rev.
The disciples understood perfectly the morality Jesus was talking about in the context of Judaism, not some African practice. And certainly not some gay twirl theology of a dying godless religion.
Hence your inability to address the passage directly.
Smile.
Oh, I addressed it directly all right!

But, you don't even want to read the dictionary, an unbiased source clearly showing the difference between celibacy and castration - eunuch. So, instead of seeing correctly, you deflect.

And after making mistaken comments about Jesus and the Jews and after being shown, directly, that eunuchs, no matter how or who or where, can be baptized and brought into the fold, you continue to deny and deflect.

No. You don't listen or love to hear, except when it comes to hearing your own pompous bloviations.

See ya.

Rev. Ken

Location hidden

#17802 Apr 25, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree, but 'angel' does not mean 'of god'. Nor are people gods.
Next.
Smirk.
Yes. Angels are "of God."

Jesus said, "Know ye not that ye are gods?" - KJV

You sure are full of misconceived ideas that are contrary to the very scriptures that supposedly guide you, next or no next.

You're full of baloney, fresh from the loading dock.

Location hidden

#17803 Apr 25, 2013
RevKen wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes. Angels are "of God."
Jesus said, "Know ye not that ye are gods?" - KJV
You sure are full of misconceived ideas that are contrary to the very scriptures that supposedly guide you, next or no next.
You're full of baloney, fresh from the loading dock.
1. The assertion was the meaning of the word, not how it was used. You know that and still denied it.

2. Your god is too small;

http://www.gotquestions.org/you-are-gods.html

Damn, I'm embarrassed for you rev!

Smile.

Location hidden

#17804 Apr 25, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
1. The assertion was the meaning of the word, not how it was used. You know that and still denied it.
Smile.
LOL!!!!.... Your embarrassment is a displaced focus, Kimare.

Let your embarrassment reside where it belongs: In yourself and for yourself.

If your assertion is only the meaning of the word, as you say above, then you have taken that meaning - out of context - in order to defeat the purpose for the very meaning. Sorry. No can do.

The meaning of the word, whether "eunuch" or "celibacy" is what it is, in both Latin and Greek as well as Aramaic, precisely because of its use - in context. To assert otherwise is to imply that Jesus did not know what he meant or was incorrectly quoted as having said.

As for the size of "my god" or "your god," how do you put a measurement on infinite? LOL! You can't!

So, your statement about the size of God not only denies what Jesus said when he said, "Know ye not that ye are gods," it also reveals the egotistic nature of your comprehension. As was said, "Judge not, lest you be judged by the same measurement that you use on others."

You were wrong.

Furthermore, I visited the website that you have provided in the above post as the source of authority for your statements of opinion.

Here is what I found: http://www.gotquestions.org/aliens-UFOs.html

Go ahead and read it, since you think these people are to be regarded as agreeing in their interpretation of your source of righteousness.

*** Readers, visit this URL and read on what this Religious site provides as a logical proof regarding extraterrestrial life and aliens. The opinion expressed on this site is in direct contradistinction to the expressed opinions of Kimare!

Some kind of authoritative reference you've got there, Kimare! It's one that you yourself don't even believe! Moses and his alien encounter, right?

You're so full of Baloney, Kimare. You really ought to get a job. You should apply at Oscar Mayer for a job in marketing refrigerators fully stocked with fresh frozen Baloney. You'd get hired immediately and given full expenses paid and exclusive sales marketing rights to all aboriginals inside of the Arctic Circle.

Rev. Ken

“The Kingdom of God Begins NOW!”

Since: May 07

The Mountain Empire

#17805 Apr 25, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you for proving my point. The word used means 'messenger'.
God destroyed a city because they were inhospitable?
Smile
Inhospitably to strangers who might be angels, divine or human.

Is that your problem with the Bible? You have no understanding of the history of the Jews, like Jesus?

You also failed to respond to LuLu's SCRIPTURES referring to the sin of Sodom.

Saul, as usual, has it wrong......

“Romans 13: 8-10”

Since: Feb 08

Oklahoma City, OK

#17806 Apr 25, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Smile.
Be embarrassed for yourself. To treat far right hate groups like the people behind "got questions dot com" as a credible source of information is darn embarassing. It is a OPINION, and not very well-researched or informed opinion at that. This site is more about promoting far right political views than actual Biblical scholarship or research.

“Romans 13: 8-10”

Since: Feb 08

Oklahoma City, OK

#17807 Apr 25, 2013
KiMare wrote:
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Snicker.
<quoted text>
So now we are back to God killing an entire city because they were inhospitable?
This is what happens when faithless people try to deal with faith.
Idiot.
Snicker.
We're not "back to it", it's what the story was about.

And, as we continue to debate this, let us NOT forget to keep at the fore that it IS a story, not an actual historical happening. God doesn't commit mass murder for ANY reason.

“Trolls are Clueless”

Since: Dec 07

Aptos, California

#17808 Apr 25, 2013
MiddleWay wrote:
<quoted text>
Inhospitably to strangers who might be angels, divine or human.
Is that your problem with the Bible? You have no understanding of the history of the Jews, like Jesus?
You also failed to respond to LuLu's SCRIPTURES referring to the sin of Sodom.
Saul, as usual, has it wrong......
Indeed.
Biblical examples:
While these laws, scattered throughout the Bible (see Gentile; Proselytes), point to a deep-seated feeling of kindness toward strangers among the ancient Hebrews, the intensity of the feeling of hospitality among them can best be learned from the casual references to it in the narrative portions of the Bible. Thus Abraham, the archetype of the Hebrew race, entertained three strangers at his house and showed them many kindnesses (Gen. xviii. 1-8). His kinsman Lot was ready to risk his life and the honor of his daughters rather than transgress the laws of hospitality (ib. xix. 1-8). Laban showed kindness to Jacob and to Eliezer (ib. xxix. 13, xxvi. 31) when they came to him as strangers. Jethro rebuked his daughters because they did not invite Moses, who was a stranger in Midian, to the house (Ex. ii. 20); and Rahab was greatly rewarded because she had entertained Joshua's spies (Josh. ii.). Manoah would not allow the angel to depart before he had partaken of his hospitality (Judges xiii. 15); Gideon punished the elders of Succoth and of Penuel for their breach of hospitality (ib. viii. 5, 8); and David demanded hospitable treatment from Nabal (I Sam. xxv. 8). Barzillai was invited to the royal table because he had been kind to David when the latter fled from Absalom (II Sam. xvii. 27, xix. 32). The Shunammite woman had a room furnished with a bed, a table, a chair, and a lamp for Elisha the prophet (II Kings iv. 8-11).
Rabbinical examples:
Among the ethical teachings of the Rabbis, the duties of hospitality occupy a very prominent position. Some regard hospitality more highly than the reception given to the Shekinah (Divine Presence); others make it superior to visiting the house of study; others, again, consider it as one of the six meritorious deeds whose reward is like a tree, the fruit of which man enjoys in this world, while the trunk remains for his enjoyment in the world to come (Shab. 127a). Special emphasis was laid upon the hospitality due to a scholar, so that it was said that one who shows hospitality to a student of the Law is regarded as if he had offered the daily sacrifice (Ber. 10b, 63b, &#7730;id. 76b; Gen. R. lviii. 12).
http://www.jewishencyclopedia.com/articles/79...
Hebrews 13:2
Do not forget to show hospitality to strangers, for by so doing some people have shown hospitality to angels without knowing it.
http://bible.cc/hebrews/13-2.htm

Location hidden

#17809 Apr 25, 2013
RevKen wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL!!!!.... Your embarrassment is a displaced focus, Kimare.
Let your embarrassment reside where it belongs: In yourself and for yourself.
If your assertion is only the meaning of the word, as you say above, then you have taken that meaning - out of context - in order to defeat the purpose for the very meaning. Sorry. No can do.
The meaning of the word, whether "eunuch" or "celibacy" is what it is, in both Latin and Greek as well as Aramaic, precisely because of its use - in context. To assert otherwise is to imply that Jesus did not know what he meant or was incorrectly quoted as having said.
As for the size of "my god" or "your god," how do you put a measurement on infinite? LOL! You can't!
So, your statement about the size of God not only denies what Jesus said when he said, "Know ye not that ye are gods," it also reveals the egotistic nature of your comprehension. As was said, "Judge not, lest you be judged by the same measurement that you use on others."
You were wrong.
Furthermore, I visited the website that you have provided in the above post as the source of authority for your statements of opinion.
Here is what I found: http://www.gotquestions.org/aliens-UFOs.html
Go ahead and read it, since you think these people are to be regarded as agreeing in their interpretation of your source of righteousness.
*** Readers, visit this URL and read on what this Religious site provides as a logical proof regarding extraterrestrial life and aliens. The opinion expressed on this site is in direct contradistinction to the expressed opinions of Kimare!
Some kind of authoritative reference you've got there, Kimare! It's one that you yourself don't even believe! Moses and his alien encounter, right?
You're so full of Baloney, Kimare. You really ought to get a job. You should apply at Oscar Mayer for a job in marketing refrigerators fully stocked with fresh frozen Baloney. You'd get hired immediately and given full expenses paid and exclusive sales marketing rights to all aboriginals inside of the Arctic Circle.
Rev. Ken
There is not an iota of honesty in you rev.

I exposed the false assertion of what the word 'angel' means. Nothing less and nothing more.

You still fail to explain your distortion of Matt. 19 in context. Frankly, I think you are confusing circumcision with castration.

I post info from numerous sources, including gay. Hardly an endorsement of everything they say. The fact remains that the article I referenced gave a explanation in context that you had/have nothing but a diversion for (again).

We are made in the image of God, but you are an embarrassment to even an image.

Smile.

Location hidden

#17810 Apr 25, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Smile.
OkieDarren wrote:
<quoted text>
Be embarrassed for yourself. To treat far right hate groups like the people behind "got questions dot com" as a credible source of information is darn embarassing. It is a OPINION, and not very well-researched or informed opinion at that. This site is more about promoting far right political views than actual Biblical scholarship or research.
Okie Dokie Darren, why don't YOU give us a dissertation of those passages?

Snicker.

Location hidden

#17811 Apr 25, 2013
LuLu Ford wrote:
<quoted text>
Indeed.
Biblical examples:
While these laws, scattered throughout the Bible (see Gentile; Proselytes), point to a deep-seated feeling of kindness toward strangers among the ancient Hebrews, the intensity of the feeling of hospitality among them can best be learned from the casual references to it in the narrative portions of the Bible. Thus Abraham, the archetype of the Hebrew race, entertained three strangers at his house and showed them many kindnesses (Gen. xviii. 1-8). His kinsman Lot was ready to risk his life and the honor of his daughters rather than transgress the laws of hospitality (ib. xix. 1-8). Laban showed kindness to Jacob and to Eliezer (ib. xxix. 13, xxvi. 31) when they came to him as strangers. Jethro rebuked his daughters because they did not invite Moses, who was a stranger in Midian, to the house (Ex. ii. 20); and Rahab was greatly rewarded because she had entertained Joshua's spies (Josh. ii.). Manoah would not allow the angel to depart before he had partaken of his hospitality (Judges xiii. 15); Gideon punished the elders of Succoth and of Penuel for their breach of hospitality (ib. viii. 5, 8); and David demanded hospitable treatment from Nabal (I Sam. xxv. 8). Barzillai was invited to the royal table because he had been kind to David when the latter fled from Absalom (II Sam. xvii. 27, xix. 32). The Shunammite woman had a room furnished with a bed, a table, a chair, and a lamp for Elisha the prophet (II Kings iv. 8-11).
Rabbinical examples:
Among the ethical teachings of the Rabbis, the duties of hospitality occupy a very prominent position. Some regard hospitality more highly than the reception given to the Shekinah (Divine Presence); others make it superior to visiting the house of study; others, again, consider it as one of the six meritorious deeds whose reward is like a tree, the fruit of which man enjoys in this world, while the trunk remains for his enjoyment in the world to come (Shab. 127a). Special emphasis was laid upon the hospitality due to a scholar, so that it was said that one who shows hospitality to a student of the Law is regarded as if he had offered the daily sacrifice (Ber. 10b, 63b, &#7730;id. 76b; Gen. R. lviii. 12).
http://www.jewishencyclopedia.com/articles/79...
Hebrews 13:2
Do not forget to show hospitality to strangers, for by so doing some people have shown hospitality to angels without knowing it.
http://bible.cc/hebrews/13-2.htm
So God destroyed an entire city because of inhospitality?

Smile.
Vick Torre

Philadelphia, PA

#17812 Apr 25, 2013
Rhode Island to be 10th state to allow gay marriage. In todays newspaper. Slowly but surely, times changing, as has been changing since year one. Old ideas becomming outdated and where they belong-the past.

Location hidden

#17813 Apr 25, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
There is not an iota of honesty in you rev.
I exposed the false assertion of what the word 'angel' means. Nothing less and nothing more.
You still fail to explain your distortion of Matt. 19 in context. Frankly, I think you are confusing circumcision with castration.
I post info from numerous sources, including gay. Hardly an endorsement of everything they say. The fact remains that the article I referenced gave a explanation in context that you had/have nothing but a diversion for (again).
We are made in the image of God, but you are an embarrassment to even an image.
Smile.
LMAO!

Groundless insults and misrepresentations made up to keep people from seeing your cluelessness.

You quote from an internet site purportedly providing authoritative answers that you endorse.

But, on further investigation, they pooh pooh your Moses - Alien connection. So much for your opinions and their authority.

Now you try to pull Jewish circumcision into the conversation to try to keep the subject away from your erroneous assertions about celibacy versus the words of Jesus regarding Eunuchs. LOL!

Baloney, Kimare! And you've left it out in the sunlight without taking care of it and it is becoming rancid, drawing flies.

You are off the bag, buddy and you got tagged. And now you are arguing with the ump! Better learn how and when to shut your baloney pie hole before he crams you with your own stinking baloney roll.

Rev. Ken
A priest and disciple of the Lord Jesus.

Location hidden

#17814 Apr 25, 2013
KiMare wrote:
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Smile.
<quoted text>
Okie Dokie Darren, why don't YOU give us a dissertation of those passages?
Snicker.
Why bother?

We don't have a problem with this scriptural passage.

You are the one with the problem. And, every time you have tried to explain away the meanings of Jesus' words, you've only managed to expose your sorry ass and dig your own glory hole deeper. Unfortunately, there's no paydirt where you are digging.

Nope. It's your turn to make another run at it. Watching you twisting while asserting everybody else is twirling is turning out to be somewhat entertaining.

Why don't you tell us again about how Moses' encounter with radioactive eunuch celibate hoppytoad aliens caused him to glow in the dark!

Rev. Ken

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#17815 Apr 25, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
So God destroyed an entire city because of inhospitality?
Smile.
No, because of wickedness and violence.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wedding Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News What would Jesus say about same-sex marriage? (Jul '15) 3 hr Webster NE 8,496
News Catholic Church threatens to fire gay teachers ... 4 hr Holy Guacamole 12
News Elvis Is Alive and Well In Las Vegas 7 hr Dead and Drugged 2
News Churches threaten to dismiss staff who wed same... 8 hr South Knox Hombre 7
News Muslim cleric tells Australians: 'Husbands shou... (Jan '09) 11 hr Say NO to islam 65
News Our recommendation: Springboro voters should sa... (Feb '08) Aug 19 huh 32,016
News ACT's first same sex newlyweds worry postal sur... Aug 19 Carmine 1
More from around the web