Homosexuality and the Bible

Homosexuality and the Bible

There are 35949 comments on the www.smh.com.au story from Aug 15, 2011, titled Homosexuality and the Bible. In it, www.smh.com.au reports that:

Given the ongoing debate about same-sex marriage, it is time I looked at the two Testaments to remind myself why belief is so hard for me to embrace.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.smh.com.au.

Since: Aug 09

Location hidden

#17630 Apr 11, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Notice how your shift has a growing distance from Scripture.
However, this I acknowledge. I don't mince words here usually.
I'm reminded of these quotes;
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.~Albert Einstein
Illusions commend themselves to us because they save us pain and allow us to enjoy pleasure instead. We must therefore accept it without complaint when they sometimes collide with a bit of reality against which they are dashed to pieces.~Sigmund Freud
Humankind cannot bear very much reality.~T.S. Eliot
Deep denial is dangerous. You pretend it is not.
Smile.
Because I cite words written by wise and sensitive people that are not holy scripture, you attempt to make some sort of anti-religious insinuation??

And then, you turn around and do the same thing with quotes from Einstein, Freud and Eliot??

What! Am I your sock-puppet leader?

LMFAO!!!...(the F stands for Friar)

YOU were the one denying the reality of what you have written.
YOU were the one claiming that your statements are true when they clearly are not.
YOU were the one making the snap judgments about people you don't either know or understand, using scripture to justify your prejudice.

Yes. Reality does collide with illusions ... and delusions.

No. I don't claim perfection. Only discipleship. Every day.

No pretend smiles and smirks. Though, I can be found appreciating God's handiwork and sharing that appreciation with others. Like the old time saying says to do - Make a joyful noise unto the Lord!

The power of the Word being what it is, there is at least one other quote that I like to keep fairly close to the fore ....

"Suffer the little children to come to me ..." and I do not take this out of context.

Rev. Ken
SHADOW

Bulverde, TX

#17631 Apr 11, 2013
Vick Torre wrote:
<quoted text> The structure of you words no better than mine,as I read them nor anyone elses' writing style. Some have more flair. RevKen has sentences of best structure here. What matters more on forums are relaying messages, not novels.(
The structure of (your) words (is) no better than mine(.)
Vick Torre

Arlington, VA

#17632 Apr 11, 2013
SHADOW wrote:
<quoted text>
The structure of (your) words (is) no better than mine(.)
SO WHAT? Do you do this to your doctors? Do you correct misprints from publishings? Seems like you have some bigger issues going on. Write to Dear Abby. I'm sure she'll have advice for you.
SHADOW

Bulverde, TX

#17633 Apr 11, 2013
Vick Torre wrote:
<quoted text> SO WHAT? Do you do this to your doctors? Do you correct misprints from publishings? Seems like you have some bigger issues going on. Write to Dear Abby. I'm sure she'll have advice for you.
Now you are starting to sound like the little girl you are.
You said your English structure was just fine - it isn't that's all.
Now what about my doctor? He doesn't butcher the language like you do sissy so no need to correct him. hahahaha
Vick Torre

Arlington, VA

#17634 Apr 11, 2013
I wonder why only one person is focusing on spelling rather than the contents of the subject. Instead of punctuality, this person comes across as more of a punk-tuality.
Vick Torre

Arlington, VA

#17635 Apr 11, 2013
SHADOW wrote:
<quoted text>
Now you are starting to sound like the little girl you are.
You said your English structure was just fine - it isn't that's all.
Now what about my doctor? He doesn't butcher the language like you do sissy so no need to correct him. hahahaha
You sound like a sissy. People speak alittle differently according to locale. Accents vary to. How sentences are put together vary. Sissy types worry about everyone not fitting into those boundaries. I could'nt care less. As for doctors, how common knowledge it is of their writng prescriptions. Mostly nothing but scribbles. Actors also have such poor writing skills SO WHAT? Poor worrying little sisy. Grow yourself a pair of balls.
SHADOW

Bulverde, TX

#17636 Apr 11, 2013
Vick Torre wrote:
<quoted text> You sound like a sissy. People speak alittle differently according to locale. Accents vary to. How sentences are put together vary. Sissy types worry about everyone not fitting into those boundaries. I could'nt care less. As for doctors, how common knowledge it is of their writng prescriptions. Mostly nothing but scribbles. Actors also have such poor writing skills SO WHAT? Poor worrying little sisy. Grow yourself a pair of balls.
No you are simply un educated so let's just leave it there.
The English language is what it is, not subject to speaking differently or "locale".

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#17638 Apr 11, 2013
RevKen wrote:
<quoted text>
Because I cite words written by wise and sensitive people that are not holy scripture, you attempt to make some sort of anti-religious insinuation??
And then, you turn around and do the same thing with quotes from Einstein, Freud and Eliot??
What! Am I your sock-puppet leader?
LMFAO!!!...(the F stands for Friar)
YOU were the one denying the reality of what you have written.
YOU were the one claiming that your statements are true when they clearly are not.
YOU were the one making the snap judgments about people you don't either know or understand, using scripture to justify your prejudice.
Yes. Reality does collide with illusions ... and delusions.
No. I don't claim perfection. Only discipleship. Every day.
No pretend smiles and smirks. Though, I can be found appreciating God's handiwork and sharing that appreciation with others. Like the old time saying says to do - Make a joyful noise unto the Lord!
The power of the Word being what it is, there is at least one other quote that I like to keep fairly close to the fore ....
"Suffer the little children to come to me ..." and I do not take this out of context.
Rev. Ken
It's clear at least you are clearly convinced.

However, the simple overt reading of Scripture keeps interrupting your story rev.

Smile.
Vick Torre

Arlington, VA

#17639 Apr 11, 2013
SHADOW wrote:
<quoted text>
No you are simply un educated so let's just leave it there.
The English language is what it is, not subject to speaking differently or "locale".
Don't get around much,do you. People speak and write differently by locale. Un educated or uneducated. See,you done so yourself. Does'nt matter what you think of me. I do just fine all these years communicating. Only you go to extra lengths to point out sentence structure. No one else. Now run along and seek others to help with their posts. More important matters here.
SHADOW

Bulverde, TX

#17640 Apr 12, 2013
Vick Torre wrote:
<quoted text> Don't get around much,do you. People speak and write differently by locale. Un educated or uneducated. See,you done so yourself. Does'nt matter what you think of me. I do just fine all these years communicating. Only you go to extra lengths to point out sentence structure. No one else. Now run along and seek others to help with their posts. More important matters here.
Are you mexican? Ah so that is the problem. You just never learned the language huh.
I'm suprised you can read or is someone reading this for you?
Poor vicky. "You done so yourself" as well.
Vick Torre

Arlington, VA

#17641 Apr 12, 2013
SHADOW wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you mexican? Ah so that is the problem. You just never learned the language huh.
I'm suprised you can read or is someone reading this for you?
Poor vicky. "You done so yourself" as well.
Ahh,that's the problem. You don't travel to other states to hear how people speak. Like the southern states where one will say "where you all going". "How ya all doin". What is called life by locale. Language becomes altered. You never learned that, even though I told you. Life must be terrible(for YOU-TERRIBULL) to eventually come across such use of english. Be a man instead of a wuss.
SHADOW

Bulverde, TX

#17642 Apr 13, 2013
Vick Torre wrote:
<quoted text> Ahh,that's the problem. You don't travel to other states to hear how people speak. Like the southern states where one will say "where you all going". "How ya all doin". What is called life by locale. Language becomes altered. You never learned that, even though I told you. Life must be terrible(for YOU-TERRIBULL) to eventually come across such use of english. Be a man instead of a wuss.
Oh u bee talkin bout ebonics or what?
U jus a typical stupid illegal prob.
Vick Torre

Baltimore, MD

#17643 Apr 13, 2013
SHADOW wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh u bee talkin bout ebonics or what?
U jus a typical stupid illegal prob.
Just glad not to be U. You is only won harping. Galatians 5:23- encourages mildness and self control. Clearly you lack that. Ephesians 4:31- condems abusive speech. Well,so much for your religious convictions. That alone rates me a better person than you.

Location hidden

#17644 Apr 13, 2013
Vick Torre wrote:
<quoted text> Just glad not to be U. You is only won harping. Galatians 5:23- encourages mildness and self control. Clearly you lack that. Ephesians 4:31- condems abusive speech. Well,so much for your religious convictions. That alone rates me a better person than you.
Vick,

Best not to compare yourself to another. Besides, there really isn't any virtuous method of comparison. That is the most common mistake of the "Christian" who thinks that he or she sins less than someone else and, as a result, deserves some kind of more favorable compensation.

The struggle is within yourself.

As you begin to accomplish your goal of achieving a lasting and durable, beneficial relationship with the very Universe of Light and Life in and around you, you become ever more able to understand that the better part of this, when present in yourself first, can always be found in each of your fellow human beings.

Sometimes, it is very hard to find in another. Sometimes, you can lose track of it within yourself, getting drawn into worthless comparisons with others. Practice. And don't expect too much, too soon. Just maintain the effort and take time to rejuvenate an effort to intensify the intent to develop Light within yourself as you go along.

Then go about your business developing your sensibilities and talents, making a track record of accomplishment. You are in it for the long haul. Setbacks are there for you to go over and iron out the patterns of rejuvenation.

And always take stock in remembering that you have allies, even if you cannot find them when you need them the most.

Rev. Ken
Vick Torre

Baltimore, MD

#17645 Apr 13, 2013
RevKen wrote:
<quoted text>
Vick,
Best not to compare yourself to another. Besides, there really isn't any virtuous method of comparison. That is the most common mistake of the "Christian" who thinks that he or she sins less than someone else and, as a result, deserves some kind of more favorable compensation.
The struggle is within yourself.
As you begin to accomplish your goal of achieving a lasting and durable, beneficial relationship with the very Universe of Light and Life in and around you, you become ever more able to understand that the better part of this, when present in yourself first, can always be found in each of your fellow human beings.
Sometimes, it is very hard to find in another. Sometimes, you can lose track of it within yourself, getting drawn into worthless comparisons with others. Practice. And don't expect too much, too soon. Just maintain the effort and take time to rejuvenate an effort to intensify the intent to develop Light within yourself as you go along.
Then go about your business developing your sensibilities and talents, making a track record of accomplishment. You are in it for the long haul. Setbacks are there for you to go over and iron out the patterns of rejuvenation.
And always take stock in remembering that you have allies, even if you cannot find them when you need them the most.
Rev. Ken
All my life I struggle to be tolerant even with those dead set agsinst my very existance because of being gay. I understand very well the hurt done to those different than the "norm". Hiding since age 6. Dealing with adult issues at early ages. No one to guide me. Then I continuously come across those like "shadow" dealing with his type of hatred.
Vick Torre

Baltimore, MD

#17646 Apr 13, 2013
RevKen, I had to cut short my last post. A neighbor came by to check on me. The 88 yr old guy I help out worried not having me visit. Medical conditions caused me to lay back till diagnoses comes in. She just left a few minutes ago. Anyway, as can be seen in my posts I refrain from insults. When he made some real nasty remark about someone I love, I deemed it time to come back hard to demonstrate anyone can say nasty things. It does'nt take much IQ. to use insults. Daying baf words to me is enough. But insulting someone not involved with this discussion that I love loses my respect ,tolerance and their religious belief. I always try civility in all matters. Shadow is just here to belittle. No value in that. It accomplishes only setbacks in reaching tolerance between two opposing views. I treat those in like manner to me. This can be read in past postings shadow bestows on me. I have no desire to answer ir read his/her posts. I just wanted to show I can do likewise.

Location hidden

#17647 Apr 13, 2013
Vick Torre wrote:
RevKen, I had to cut short my last post. A neighbor came by to check on me. The 88 yr old guy I help out worried not having me visit. Medical conditions caused me to lay back till diagnoses comes in. She just left a few minutes ago. Anyway, as can be seen in my posts I refrain from insults. When he made some real nasty remark about someone I love, I deemed it time to come back hard to demonstrate anyone can say nasty things. It does'nt take much IQ. to use insults. Daying baf words to me is enough. But insulting someone not involved with this discussion that I love loses my respect ,tolerance and their religious belief. I always try civility in all matters. Shadow is just here to belittle. No value in that. It accomplishes only setbacks in reaching tolerance between two opposing views. I treat those in like manner to me. This can be read in past postings shadow bestows on me. I have no desire to answer ir read his/her posts. I just wanted to show I can do likewise.
Quite alright, Vick. Everyone, and especially those who are systematically rejected simply because they don't fit the stereotypical norm, gets frustrated from time to time.

There are plenty of very intolerant, self righteous people out there, as you well know.

Jesus didn't have much use for them either.

You have allies in the spirit, Vick. Far more than you know.

The Episcopal Church is really a pretty good group, in spite of its many detractors. Some Episcopal Churches are still intolerant. But, not many. You'll most always be welcomed there. If not, go find another one whose pastor and parishioners will welcome you.

If that doesn't resonate, then be satisfied to strike your own path. But, be aware that even though you seem to be isolated, you actually do have true allies and friends that you have never yet met or seen.

Rev. Ken
Vick Torre

Arlington, VA

#17648 Apr 13, 2013
RevKen wrote:
<quoted text>
Quite alright, Vick. Everyone, and especially those who are systematically rejected simply because they don't fit the stereotypical norm, gets frustrated from time to time.
There are plenty of very intolerant, self righteous people out there, as you well know.
The Episcopal Church is really a pretty good group, in spite of its many detractors. Some Episcopal Churches are still intolerant. But, not many. You'll most always be welcomed there. If not, go find another one whose pastor and parishioners will welcome you.
If that doesn't resonate, then be satisfied to strike your own path. But, be aware that even though you seem to be isolated, you actually do have true allies and friends that you have never yet met or seen.
Rev. Ken
Thanks. I keep trying to find a satisfactory situation. That all those efforts one day be worth it.
Noah

Pekin, IL

#17649 Apr 14, 2013
RevKen wrote:
<quoted text>
Rev. Ken
Why would anyone want to attend a 'church' that didn't preach the Gospel?

What would be the point?

Leviticus 18:22 - You shall not lie with a male as one lies with a female; it is an abomination.
Leviticus 20:13 - If there is a man who lies with a male as those who lie with a woman, both of them have committed a detestable act; they shall surely be put to death. Their blood guiltiness is upon them.
Romans 1:26-27 - For this reason God gave them over to degrading passions; for their women exchanged the natural function for that which is unnatural, and in the same way also the men abandoned the natural function of the woman and burned in their desire toward one another, men with men committing indecent acts and receiving in their own persons the due penalty of their error.
I Corinthians 6:9 (NIV)- Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God.
I Timothy 1:8-11 (NASB)- "But we know that the Law is good, if one uses it lawfully, realizing the fact that law is not made for a righteous person, but for those who are lawless and rebellious, for the ungodly and sinners, for the unholy and profane, for those who kill their fathers or mothers, for murderers and immoral men and homosexuals and kidnappers and liars and perjurers, and whatever else is contrary to sound teaching, according to the glorious gospel of the blessed God, with which I have been entrusted."
SHADOW

Bulverde, TX

#17650 Apr 14, 2013
Noah wrote:
<quoted text>Why would anyone want to attend a 'church' that didn't preach the Gospel?
What would be the point?
Leviticus 18:22 - You shall not lie with a male as one lies with a female; it is an abomination.
Leviticus 20:13 - If there is a man who lies with a male as those who lie with a woman, both of them have committed a detestable act; they shall surely be put to death. Their blood guiltiness is upon them.
Romans 1:26-27 - For this reason God gave them over to degrading passions; for their women exchanged the natural function for that which is unnatural, and in the same way also the men abandoned the natural function of the woman and burned in their desire toward one another, men with men committing indecent acts and receiving in their own persons the due penalty of their error.
I Corinthians 6:9 (NIV)- Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God.
I Timothy 1:8-11 (NASB)- "But we know that the Law is good, if one uses it lawfully, realizing the fact that law is not made for a righteous person, but for those who are lawless and rebellious, for the ungodly and sinners, for the unholy and profane, for those who kill their fathers or mothers, for murderers and immoral men and homosexuals and kidnappers and liars and perjurers, and whatever else is contrary to sound teaching, according to the glorious gospel of the blessed God, with which I have been entrusted."
Rev is nothing more than an enabler.
Definition of ENABLER
: one that enables another to achieve an end; especially : one who enables another to persist in self-destructive behavior (as substance abuse) by providing excuses or by making it possible to avoid the consequences of such behavior

This is exactly what the rev does. Tell these poor lost souls what they are doing is perfectly OK when he know it isn't.
Tell them to go find a Church who doesn't adhere to the teachings of the Bible.
Yes if you look long enough you will find other misfits to enjoy your perversion with but it will never be condoned by a real Church and they know it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wedding Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Feds' transgender guidance provokes fierce back... 20 min Ronald 1,047
News Government does not have a place in your bedroo... 24 min david traversa 1
News Woman arrested as gay couple gets Alabama marri... (Feb '15) 4 hr ChromePearl 23
News Annie's Mailbox: Mom upset with response to her... 9 hr Dr Reker s Bellhop 2
News Khloe files for divorce against Lamar again 10 hr So Do It Already 1
News More gay people can now get legally married. Th... (Oct '14) 17 hr Three Psyche 54
News Minnesota becomes 12th state to OK gay marriage (May '13) 20 hr cpeter1313 1,874
More from around the web