Homosexuality and the Bible

Aug 15, 2011 Full story: www.smh.com.au 25,979

Given the ongoing debate about same-sex marriage, it is time I looked at the two Testaments to remind myself why belief is so hard for me to embrace.

Full Story

Since: Aug 09

Location hidden

#16834 Feb 20, 2013
DMAN wrote:
<quoted text> But oh sooooo funny and yet TRUE...... Again you always have NOTHING in the tank..... Keep drinking used thong juice and praying for a fudge freedom fest....:)
DMAN,

Is this post message above placed by you on the Episcopal Church Forum? Or on some other Forum?
DMAN

Aurora, CO

#16835 Feb 20, 2013
RevKen wrote:
<quoted text>
DMAN,
Is this post message above placed by you on the Episcopal Church Forum? Or on some other Forum?
Just posted what could have been..... Who is to say he was not just a wanderer like everyone else..... Thats it....
Robsan5

Oklahoma City, OK

#16836 Feb 20, 2013
DMAN wrote:
<quoted text> But oh sooooo funny and yet TRUE...... Again you always have NOTHING in the tank..... Keep drinking used thong juice and praying for a fudge freedom fest....:)
2013, another year of weak, lame and just plain stupid.

Roberta/Robsana (just for "your" gay anal sex dreams, Village Idiot!)
Robsan5

Oklahoma City, OK

#16837 Feb 20, 2013
DMAN wrote:
<quoted text> Why anal face preschool kid molester?????? How about that god was really just a guy with long hair and was stoned when he wrote the bible..... That would be boring and would not upset you.....:(
How about posting something that isn't weak, lame and just plain stupid.

Roberta/Robsana (just for "your" gay anal sex dreams, Village Idiot!)

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#16838 Feb 20, 2013
Kesla15 wrote:
<quoted text>
I hold the same opinion as you do in terms of the Bible. The Bible does clearly state that marriage is between a man and a woman. And it is pretty clear in terms of it's restrictions on sexual morality.
However.
One must also bear in mind that marriage in itself predates christianity, and indeed all other abrahamic religions, and that homosexuality has been widely accepted by a multitude of cultures, where it is not seen as immoral.
I agree with you about evolution, however I just don't understand why that is a necessary argument in terms of modern society. As in the present day those of us lucky enough to live in prosperity in the western world don't have to "fight to survive" or worry about starvation. Therefore, as we live in a loophole to Darwin's theory, why should it matter whom we mate with aslong as it is legal and consenting?
From a scientific perspective, homosexuality is a gray area, because the cause of it hasn't been pinpointed, however many scientists believe it to be a mixture of genetic and environmental influences that cause it. By being on the homosexual spectrum to an extent,...ay that it is painful, to know that you are different to everyone else, and that you will always be that one "gay" or whatever person in the eyes of everyone else. All the "LGBT community" want, from my experience, is just to be treated fairly and tolerated to an extent.
In terms of genetics and DNA, now THAT is a whole other topic. Due to things such as Le Chapelle's syndrome and other genetic disorders which can skew one's idea of what is "male" or "female", and in consequence make it difficult for one to pinpoint what is "homosexual" or "heterosexual".
I have spent a lifetime studying the Bible. I find the continuity between 60 books by 40 authors over hundreds of years amazing. Even more so, is the scientific and prophetic intricacies that permeate it.

Marriage has been present in every single culture in known human history. I hate to say it, but homosexuality has not been accepted in any culture from start to finish. Not one single one. It appears for brief periods, usually at the end of a culture.

In fact, one of the interesting things in the Law is that killing children, bestiality and homosexuality are the three 'abominations' that cause God to end a culture.

As to the idea of a evolutionary 'loophole', you really need to study up on mating behavior. You also have a myopic view of social engineering evolution. Do you really think we are the first culture that tried to control evolution? Yes, we are doing it scientifically in new ways... with corresponding back lashes.

Moreover, no one is denying any relationships. But the word marriage designates one that stands distinct from friendship. At its bare essence, marriage is a cross cultural constraint on evolutionary mating behavior; a male and female, committing for life primarily because of a likely procreated child. Moreover, I gay couple cannot mate, a clear sign of a evolutionary defect.

You might want to look up info on epi-marker discoveries, very likely the cause of homosexuality. I also have cause to be interested in sexual disorders, my name KiMare'a is a play on a genetic chimera. I am also a hermaphrodite. And I have three nipples, hence the tag 'monster mutation'...

I have found that honestly facing who I am has been essential in dealing with my mutations. I would suggest that denying a condition and imposing a imposter relationship on marriage is not a good thing for anyone...

Did you know that social scientists have identified over 200 distinctions in the spectrum between masculinity and femininity. And the that GLBT fall smack dab in the middle at about 4%? That a transexual is probably the exact middle, a body of one gender, but the brain of another? Or a bisexual, in just the mind, that goes either way?
Robsan5

Oklahoma City, OK

#16839 Feb 20, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
I have spent a lifetime studying the Bible. I find the continuity between 60 books by 40 authors over hundreds of years amazing. Even more so, is the scientific and prophetic intricacies that permeate it.
Marriage has been present in every single culture in known human history. I hate to say it, but homosexuality has not been accepted in any culture from start to finish. Not one single one. It appears for brief periods, usually at the end of a culture.
In fact, one of the interesting things in the Law is that killing children, bestiality and homosexuality are the three 'abominations' that cause God to end a culture.
As to the idea of a evolutionary 'loophole', you really need to study up on mating behavior. You also have a myopic view of social engineering evolution. Do you really think we are the first culture that tried to control evolution? Yes, we are doing it scientifically in new ways... with corresponding back lashes.
Moreover, no one is denying any relationships. But the word marriage designates one that stands distinct from friendship. At its bare essence, marriage is a cross cultural constraint on evolutionary mating behavior; a male and female, committing for life primarily because of a likely procreated child. Moreover, I gay couple cannot mate, a clear sign of a evolutionary defect.
You might want to look up info on epi-marker discoveries, very likely the cause of homosexuality. I also have cause to be interested in sexual disorders, my name KiMare'a is a play on a genetic chimera. I am also a hermaphrodite. And I have three nipples, hence the tag 'monster mutation'...
I have found that honestly facing who I am has been essential in dealing with my mutations. I would suggest that denying a condition and imposing a imposter relationship on marriage is not a good thing for anyone...
Did you know that social scientists have identified over 200 distinctions in the spectrum between masculinity and femininity. And the that GLBT fall smack dab in the middle at about 4%? That a transexual is probably the exact middle, a body of one gender, but the brain of another? Or a bisexual, in just the mind, that goes either way?
Still waiting for the word that homosexual replaced in bibles in 1946, and why homosexual is a better translation, Genius.

Wow are you stupid.

Robert
Robsan5

Oklahoma City, OK

#16840 Feb 20, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Genius:
Please prove your assertion that god evolved into Adam.
Please prove your assertion that Adam was evolved, not created.
Please prove your assertion that god is genderless.
Please prove your assertion that 80% of all seafood poisoning is from shellfish.
Please prove your assertion that eve is created in god's image.
Please prove your assertion that radiation caused Moses' face to shine.
Please your assertion that the biblical use of the word 'shine' means 'glow'.
Please prove your assertion that god can reduce radiation exposure by holding out his hand or turning his back.
Please prove your assertion that god is radioactive.
Please prove that homosexual is a better translation for the word that it replaced in bibles in 1946.

Snicker Snort

Robert

“The Kingdom of God Begins NOW!”

Since: May 07

The Mountain Empire

#16844 Feb 21, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
I have spent a lifetime studying the Bible. I find the continuity between 60 books by 40 authors over hundreds of years amazing.
Great, then you should be able to finally answer this:

What ancient Hebrew word is there for homosexual?

One word can't be that hard to find, you made the claim. prove it.

Also, you've conveniently neglected to mention the other historical finds that make some (which one you haven't shared) Bibles more accurate.

Still waiting, again and again and again and again and again and again.....

Smile smirk wink waiting

“Busting Kimare's”

Since: Feb 13

Clitty

#16845 Feb 21, 2013
MiddleWay wrote:
<quoted text>
Great, then you should be able to finally answer this:
What ancient Hebrew word is there for homosexual?
One word can't be that hard to find, you made the claim. prove it.
Also, you've conveniently neglected to mention the other historical finds that make some (which one you haven't shared) Bibles more accurate.
Still waiting, again and again and again and again and again and again.....
Smile smirk wink waiting
more crickets from the monster mutation.

“Can't help being fabulous”

Since: Dec 10

Sparkle <3

#16846 Feb 21, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
I admire your commitment to the Bible, although I myself am not religious I always have admiration for those who commit their lives to study.

However I hate to point out that you are wrong about the homosexuality in society part of your argument. There are many societies which have accepted homosexuality. If you take a look at the native americans, many of their tribes had what are known as "two-spirit" relationships, which in our western eyes would appear to be homosexual or lesbian relationships between transgendered individuals. The Romans tolerated homosexuality, if one was discreet about it, and if one was "the man" of the relationship. The Greeks are very well known for accepting homosexuality, in the former half of the 20th century many educated historians refer to homosexuality as "the vice of the Greeks". Some Greek societies even encouraged homosexuality.

Also what about modern day society? In the western world homosexuality is increasingly being seen as normal.

I didn't state that we are "controlling evolution",.I don't think I made the argument very clear though, so i'll try explain myself a little better. My point was that most species have to "fight" for survival, i.e. scavenge food, quickly find a mate, and reproduce to pass on their advantageous characteristics. However, as humans most of us live a comfortable existence where surviving for the next day isn't a pressing matter, particularly for the young and healthy, and considering the fact there is little selection pressure on our species, means that we do not have the same pressing issues to mate for procreation.

I find the fact you are hermaphroditic very interesting, I myself am considered to be transgendered (MTF) by many, La Chapelle's syndrome being the cause.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#16847 Feb 21, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
I have spent a lifetime studying the Bible.
What a waste of time. You don't seem to have become any wiser.

“THERE IS NO GOD”

Since: Feb 09

Northern California

#16848 Feb 21, 2013
RevKen wrote:
<quoted text>
No Sky Santa ....
Just the Universe ..... Uni-.[One] verse-.[word[.
I do not wish to be mean, however you do not know anything more than any one else about why each of us finds ourselves alive here on the surface of the planet earth. All of your knowledge comes from a single source, hearsay, which means someone told you and you believed them.

In America we seperate church from state and do not allow the church to make religious laws, well in theory certainly not in practice.

“THERE IS NO GOD”

Since: Feb 09

Northern California

#16849 Feb 21, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Homosexual sex is immoral. Common sense has told cultures and religions throughout human history the same thing.
In America we have a seperation between religion and state therefore no one has to give a schitt what your religion says about someones sex practices.

“Busting Kimare's”

Since: Feb 13

Clitty

#16851 Feb 21, 2013
WasteWater wrote:
<quoted text>
What a waste of time. You don't seem to have become any wiser.
Or kinder.

Location hidden

#16852 Feb 21, 2013
Kesla15 wrote:
<quoted text>
I admire your commitment to the Bible, although I myself am not religious I always have admiration for those who commit their lives to study.
However I hate to point out that you are wrong about the homosexuality in society part of your argument. There are many societies which have accepted homosexuality. If you take a look at the native americans, many of their tribes had what are known as "two-spirit" relationships, which in our western eyes would appear to be homosexual or lesbian relationships between transgendered individuals. The Romans tolerated homosexuality, if one was discreet about it, and if one was "the man" of the relationship. The Greeks are v...ar though, so i'll try explain myself a little better. My point was that most species have to "fight" for survival, i.e. scavenge food, quickly find a mate, and reproduce to pass on their advantageous characteristics. However, as humans most of us live a comfortable existence where surviving for the next day isn't a pressing matter, particularly for the young and healthy, and considering the fact there is little selection pressure on our species, means that we do not have the same pressing issues to mate for procreation.
I find the fact you are hermaphroditic very interesting, I myself am considered to be transgendered (MTF) by many, La Chapelle's syndrome being the cause.
I'd like to think I am not religious (man's idea of god), but rather in a relationship.

I have read the earliest accounts of encounters with different Indian tribes. They are available on line. The term 'two spirited' is a very recent term, replacing the historical term 'berdaches' in 1990. While there were rare exceptions of fame and fair treatment, most often GLBT Indians were horribly abused. I would encourage you to go directly to the source, most secondhand information is very twisted.

Nero is the best known Roman example. He claimed to be married to men twice. He was viciously mocked by his political peers. I would suggest there was, at most, a mixed response to homosexuality. Not to different than what we find today.

Greece is an interesting example. The common practice was soldiers taking young males to war as their 'servants'. We would call it pedophilia today. When those young males reached adulthood, they were expected to revert to heterosexuality and marry females. An ancient version of orientation 'conversion therapy'... I don't think that model of homosexuality is one we would accept today.

I think the modern marginal acceptance is far to brief in the span of history to mark a radical change. Nor do I think acceptance signals viewing it as 'normal'. Here is the kicker. We are understanding sexual issues more than ever before. I think full understanding may quickly occur. Followed by medical interventions that address issues even like yours and mine. The bottom line is that GLBT's will likely have to face the reality that their condition is a genetic defect. There is already every indication that defect is the case. You and I have admitted our situations. We have not demanded that people deny that fact, and equate us with other relationships. What will be the reaction when that denial by homosexuals is no longer possible?

As to the social pressure of mating behavior for procreation, I would suggest a far different outcome if you are correct. It is far more likely that mating behavior would be confined to a doctor's office. Or that we might even evolve back to a genderless species. With the ease of divorce, the support of government playing the role of provider, marriage already is quickly becoming an unchosen option by your generation

You, like I have a very rare condition. As someone further down the path, fearless honesty has made a 'handicap' the stepping stone to amazing opportunity. Please don't be a victim, it is a waste of your special potential!

Location hidden

#16853 Feb 21, 2013
Reverend Alan wrote:
<quoted text>
In America we have a seperation between religion and state therefore no one has to give a schitt what your religion says about someones sex practices.
Nor your bigoted and ignorant view. However, we do have free speech, so eat schitt and die.

Then meet your Maker.

Bazinga!
Robsan5

Oklahoma City, OK

#16854 Feb 21, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Nor your bigoted and ignorant view. However, we do have free speech, so eat schitt and die.
Then meet your Maker.
Bazinga!
Genius:
Please prove your assertion that god evolved into Adam.
Please prove your assertion that Adam was evolved, not created.
Please prove your assertion that god is genderless.
Please prove your assertion that 80% of all seafood poisoning is from shellfish.
Please prove your assertion that eve is created in god's image.
Please prove your assertion that radiation caused Moses' face to shine.
Please your assertion that the biblical use of the word 'shine' means 'glow'.
Please prove your assertion that god can reduce radiation exposure by holding out his hand or turning his back.
Please prove your assertion that god is radioactive.
Please prove that homosexual is a better translation for the word that it replaced in bibles in 1946.

Snicker Snort.
(Thanks for the blow job, NoIQ!)

Robert

Sparkle <3

#16856 Feb 22, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>

As to the social pressure of mating behavior for procreation, I would suggest a far different outcome if you are correct. It is far more likely that mating behavior would be confined to a doctor's office. Or that we might even evolve back to a genderless species. With the ease of divorce, the support of government playing the role of provider, marriage already is quickly becoming an unchosen option by your generation
You, like I have a very rare condition. As someone further down the path, fearless honesty has made a 'handicap' the stepping stone to amazing opportunity. Please don't be a victim, it is a waste of your special potential!
The Berdache concept varied from tribe to tribe, admittedly some LGBT native americans were despised but in some tribes they were revered as medicine men and spiritual healers. The issue with the native americans is that the culture varies hugely between individual tribes and sadly after the termination and americanisation policy of the USA we have lost a lot of their history.

I personally believe, that with societies such as the Romans, Greeks and indeed modern society, homosexuality is scorned or praised based on the individual and how someone wishes to view them. If someone is useful in society, and has proven their worth, or somehow benefits people, or if that person is powerful, then their homosexuality isn't mentioned, or in some rare cases such as in modern times, it is seen as a positive, i.e. the very wealthy and famous Elton John who is openly homosexual. However if a person no longer proves useful or entertaining then the homosexuality is viewed in a negative way.

I'm wording my argument like this around the famous Alan Turing, who, whilst he was useful was not punished for his homosexuality, but when the war ended he was chemically castrated. A more infamous and less noble example as well is Ernst Rohm, the only openly "gay nazi", who was disposed of in the night of the long knives.

My point being that if someone has a "handicap" or is somehow "different", that difference can either be irrelevant if the person is powerful. Or a disadvantage if the person is seen as not useful. I don't think I've made this argument very clear, but hopefully you will understand what I mean.

I think the issue with marriage these days is that it is rarely seen as a purely religious ceremony now. I think a nice alternative would be to grant "Civil Partnerships" or "Unions" or "Civil Marriages" to all those who do not marry for religious reasons, homosexuals and heterosexuals alike. And that a "Religious Marriage" would only be open to those whom the individual parish agrees to marry if the couple are morally acceptable in the eyes of the Bible.

I find your gender argument interesting, it borders on the concept of transhumanism, the idea that gender normatives and stereotypes ultimately create unhappiness in society and that in order to evolve and move forwards as a species we have to throw off the shackles of gender restraints. While I agree with some concepts of it as I am a strong feminist, I do find some of a bit too extreme. I often wonder would I have been happier if I had been born female? I already hold certain female characteristics, i.e. an XX chromosome, and an androgynous appearance. But just because few people are unhappy in their gender role does that mean gender roles should be obliterated completely?

(Apologies for deleting part of your post in the response, I ran out of characters and ending up rambling on somewhat)

Location hidden

#16857 Feb 23, 2013
Kesla15 wrote:
<quoted text>
I often wonder would I have been happier if I had been born female? I already hold certain female characteristics, i.e. an XX chromosome, and an androgynous appearance. But just because few people are unhappy in their gender role does that mean gender roles should be obliterated completely?
(Apologies for deleting part of your post in the response, I ran out of characters and ending up rambling on somewhat)
There is ONE historical case of an exceptionally large berdache Indian being a warrior. Out of that came the claim that berdaches were 'often' great fighters and chiefs. The same appears true about being medicine men and healers.

I think there is an innate sense of defect not just by cultures in general, but by GLBTs themselves that is common across cultures. As you note, while most people are afraid of those who are different, there are always those who know and love a person beyond any differences. I also think that innate sense of defect in GLBTs creates a 'performance' orientation in an effort to compensate. In addition, I wonder if the possible blend of a male/female thinking process results in an advantage in certain types of abilities.

However, the bottom line is this. It is far better to honestly acknowledge distinctions, even if they are defects, than to ignore or deny them. Example; Initially, my wife loved me because I was so wonderful. Now I find my wife's love to be far more significant in the face of knowing my failures and defects. Moreover, there is an deep sense of resentment when someone is forced to deny reality and deny truth. There is always a vicious backlash as a result.

Please be aware, when speaking of transhumanism, I was not endorsing it, I was going with your inclination. My point is that when you begin to deny gender distinctions (as most feminism does), you have no way of predicting the end results except for historical record and nature. Those are present and clear.

Moreover, it is my observation that since the glass ceiling was shattered (I view that as being 'broken'), women can do everything a man can do, and they are. Hence, men are playing video games and watching porn while women do everything else. A movement towards a 'queen bee' society.

The bottom line is this, when gender roles become practically irrelevant, evolution eventually responds. A corresponding issue is that when marriage becomes a watered down description of a relationship type, it too contributes to being irrelevant.

Just for the record, I am a gentleman chauvinist. But I also believe that a marriage where a husband does not honor his wife on just the intellectual level, is half-brained.

It is my experience that all things in this life are a Divine assignment. In the scope of eternity, the good we experience is as brief as the bad. What lasts is our response.

Enjoy talking with you!

Sparkle <3

#16858 Feb 23, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
There is ONE historical case of an exceptionally large berdache Indian being a warrior. Out of that came the claim that berdaches were 'often' great fighters and chiefs. The same appears true about being medicine men and healers.
I think there is an innate sense of defect not just by cultures in general, but by GLBTs themselves that is common across cultures. As you note, while most people are afraid of those who are different, there are always those who know and love a person beyond any differences. I also think that innate sense of defect in GLBTs creates a 'performance' orientation in an effort to compensate. In addition, I wonder if the possible blend of a male/female thinking process results in an advantage in certain types of abilities.
However, the bottom line is this. It is far better to honestly acknowledge distinctions, even if they are defects, than to ignore or deny them. Example; Initially, my wife loved me because I was so wonderful. Now I find my wife's love to be far more significant in the face of knowing my failures and defects. Moreover, there is an deep sense of resentment when someone is forced to deny reality and deny truth. There is always a vicious backlash as a result.
Please be aware, when speaking of transhumanism, I was not endorsing it, I was going with your inclination. My point is that when you begin to deny gender distinctions (as most feminism does), you have no way of predicting the end results except for historical record and nature. Those are present and clear.
Moreover, it is my observation that since the glass ceiling was shattered (I view that as being 'broken'), women can do everything a man can do, and they are. Hence, men are playing video games and watching porn while women do everything else. A movement towards a 'queen bee' society.
The bottom line is this, when gender roles become practically irrelevant, evolution eventually responds. A corresponding issue is that when marriage becomes a watered down description of a relationship type, it too contributes to being irrelevant.
Just for the record, I am a gentleman chauvinist. But I also believe that a marriage where a husband does not honor his wife on just the intellectual level, is half-brained.
It is my experience that all things in this life are a Divine assignment. In the scope of eternity, the good we experience is as brief as the bad. What lasts is our response.
Enjoy talking with you!
I like your concept of GLBT causing a performance orientation in order to compensate for a defect. However from my personal experience I think it goes two ways. In one way I agree with your idea that it does cause the need to compensate, i.e. GLBT people becomming educated and powerful members of society, or "gifted" in certain artistic or musical abilities (this is very true of the trans community, particularly with creative ability). However on the other side of the coin I feel that there are also those who are GLBT who go down a destructive route due to self-loathing at their predicament, i.e. those who end up going into drugs, prostitution etc (most noticably trans women in third world countries).

Personally I do like the gender roles of western society as they stand, not in terms of equality as I believe we are far from men and women becomming equal (and that is not to say men are superior, in some cases they are treated less fairly than women, i.e. in the midwifery profession), but in terms of appearance, gender expression and characteristics etc.

My dream scenario would be if people were able to easily and quickly transition into their chosen gender role, so as to avoid discontent. Or would it be better perhaps instead of viewing gender as a binary instead to view it more as a spectrum of masculinity and femininity and allow people to conform as they see fit? It's a shame we don't have a crystal ball which would allow us to observe these worlds.

I enjoy talking to you too.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wedding Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
US Supreme Court refuses to block SC gay marriages 9 min Frankie Rizzo 19
Colin Farrell's plea for same-sex marriage on b... 17 min Frankie Rizzo 41
White House: US increasingly backing gay marriage 43 min The Troll Stopper 115
Emotions rise during wait to hear immigration plan 1 hr New Age Spiritual... 4
'Gay cake' row 'disappointing' 1 hr Frankie Rizzo 145
BC denies accreditation to anti-Gay Christian l... 1 hr Brexx 48
Gay couples exchange vows in Montana after ruling 3 hr Abrahammock Religion 11

Wedding People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE