Homosexuality and the Bible

Aug 15, 2011 | Posted by: Selecia Jones- JAX FL | Full story: www.smh.com.au

Given the ongoing debate about same-sex marriage, it is time I looked at the two Testaments to remind myself why belief is so hard for me to embrace.

Comments (Page 750)

Showing posts 14,981 - 15,000 of24,340
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

“Can't help being fabulous”

Since: Dec 10

Sparkle <3

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2013

Judged:

The zealous homophobic argument:
- Homosexuality is condemned in the Bible. Therefore it is wrong to be gay. Therefore I am able to justify my hatred towards you.

Reasonable modern argument:
-The same part of the Bible that condemns homosexuality is the same part that condemns shrimp, pork, haircuts, shaving, wearing two different fabrics and planting two different seeds in the same field.
- Anyone who follows Leviticus to the letter in modern society would rightly be locked away in a mental institution
- Christianity is only one of many religions, and the Bible itself is open to many interpretations.
- The Christian Bible carries the overall view of not judging people and loving each other. Judgement should be saved for God etc.
- Homosexuality, Homosexual relationships, and Homosexual marriages have been widely recorded in history and predates Christianity by thousands of years.
- Not everyone shares the views portrayed by Christians, and many Christians do not have an issue with homosexuality. It is against your own religion and also that of western society to impose hateful views on others (imposing hateful views is similar to the Nazi party in the late 30s...)
Robsan5

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2013

Judged:

KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry honey, that's all He wrote in Genesis about creation. And there was absolutely no indication of any other design or intent.
Moveover, I agree, only an idiot would "make an all-encompassing declaration based on such a small sample."
However, I don't. I take the whole Bible as context. You however, want to take one word, segregated from the context and "make an all-encompassing declaration based on such a small sample." And to top it off, you bias your conclusion against the likely interpretation of that segregated word!
Your bias is showing...
Smirk.
You're calling me "honey"?!?
Well, Genius, we are still waiting for you to say what word was replaced with homosexual in bibles in 1946, and why homosexual is a better translation. Make sure you answer in context, of course.

Snicker Snort.

Robert
Robsan5

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2013

Judged:

KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Pretty clear for someone with a brain and a conscience.
Having trouble comprehending?
Perhaps that is why you resort to ad homoan gay twirl troll attacks?
Snicker smirk.
Genius, spelling "ad hominem" with your anti-homosexual slant is itself an ad hominem attack.
So what word was replaced with homosexual in bibles in 1946, and why is homosexual a better translation?

Snicker Snort.

Robert

“The Kingdom of God Begins NOW!”

Since: May 07

The Mountain Empire

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2013

Judged:

Daz22 wrote:
<quoted text>Here is a good translation of Hebrew scriptures condemning homosexual behavior:
Leviticus 18:22 - You shall not lie with a male as one lies with a female; it is an abomination.
Leviticus 20:13 - If there is a man who lies with a male as those who lie with a woman, both of them have committed a detestable act; they shall surely be put to death. Their blood guiltiness is upon them.
More emphatic condemnations of course are repeated in the New Testament.
Perhaps this will help you understand how ridiculous the question you have plagiarized really is.

What ancient Hebrew word is there for homosexual?

Finally unbanned?

LOL.....

The Mountain Empire

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2013

Judged:

KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
If you are a translator, you know the importance of context.
I think you are lying.
If not, address the fundamental context of Genesis 1 & 2. Show us your scholarly skill.
Smile.
You can't have context without a word.

The Mountain Empire

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2013

Judged:

KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry honey, that's all He wrote in Genesis about creation. And there was absolutely no indication of any other design or intent.
Moveover, I agree, only an idiot would "make an all-encompassing declaration based on such a small sample."
However, I don't. I take the whole Bible as context. You however, want to take one word, segregated from the context and "make an all-encompassing declaration based on such a small sample." And to top it off, you bias your conclusion against the likely interpretation of that segregated word!
Your bias is showing...
Smirk.

One word can't be that hard to find, you made the claim. prove it.

Also, you've conveniently neglected to mention the other historical finds that make some (which one you haven't shared) Bibles more accurate.

Still waiting, again and again.....

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2013

Judged:

Akmedsupply wrote:
The bible does speak of men laying with men and women laying with women as an abomination in the eyes of god. The bible was strict about the fact that this was not god's natural order just the same as race mixing yet with each day that passes we learn to tolerate it and promote it which basically means we are tolerating evil which makes us wrong for doing so. Homosexuality is wrong and if you are a homo you can ask forgiveness and repent of your ways and god will forgive you or you can continue in your sinful ways of the flesh and parish forever!
Care to elaborate on the history and philosophical origin of natural law or is this just another condemnation from an asshat?

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2013

Judged:

Kesla15 wrote:
The zealous homophobic argument:
- Homosexuality is condemned in the Bible. Therefore it is wrong to be gay. Therefore I am able to justify my hatred towards you.
Reasonable modern argument:
-The same part of the Bible that condemns homosexuality is the same part that condemns shrimp, pork, haircuts, shaving, wearing two different fabrics and planting two different seeds in the same field.
- Anyone who follows Leviticus to the letter in modern society would rightly be locked away in a mental institution
- Christianity is only one of many religions, and the Bible itself is open to many interpretations.
- The Christian Bible carries the overall view of not judging people and loving each other. Judgement should be saved for God etc.
- Homosexuality, Homosexual relationships, and Homosexual marriages have been widely recorded in history and predates Christianity by thousands of years.
- Not everyone shares the views portrayed by Christians, and many Christians do not have an issue with homosexuality. It is against your own religion and also that of western society to impose hateful views on others (imposing hateful views is similar to the Nazi party in the late 30s...)
Honey, you clearly don't know sh/t about the Bible, let alone the laws and not to mention comparing anything to the Nazi's.

I assert you have posted someone else's thinking and are incapable of defending any single aspect of it.

Smile.
Robsan5

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2013

Judged:

KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Honey, you clearly don't know sh/t about the Bible, let alone the laws and not to mention comparing anything to the Nazi's.
I assert you have posted someone else's thinking and are incapable of defending any single aspect of it.
Smile.
Genius, we're still waiting for you to say what word was replaced by homosexual in bibles in 1946, and your defense of why homosexual is a better translation. In context, of course. Unless you're unable, that is...

Snicker Snort.

Robert
Gregory twirls and spins

Burlington, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2013

Judged:

Robsan5 wrote:
<quoted text>
Genius, we're still waiting for you to say what word was replaced by homosexual in bibles in 1946, and your defense of why homosexual is a better translation. In context, of course. Unless you're unable, that is...
Snicker Snort.
Robert
He's unable. You've rendered him impotant.
Gregory twirls and spins

Burlington, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2013

Judged:

impotent too.

Sparkle <3

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2013

Judged:

KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Smile.
I love how you have to resort to foul language in an attempt to discredit my argument, yet at the same time your rather rude response didn't actually counter to acknowledge any of my points.

Why?

Because you are unable to justify your hatred and you are merely regurgitating hateful thoughts fed to you from twisted sources.

Sparkle <3

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2013

Judged:

KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Smile.
Actually i'm asserting widely held modern beliefs with my own twist on them. You can't really downplay my argument just because it is held by other people. Also the terms "pot" and "kettle" come to mind considering how you are defending a 2000-year-old text which is filled with hypocrisy.
Robsan5

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2013

Robsan5 wrote:
<quoted text>
Genius, spelling "ad hominem" with your anti-homosexual slant is itself an ad hominem attack.
So what word was replaced with homosexual in bibles in 1946, and why is homosexual a better translation?
Su:ck d!ck eat Sh!t.
Robert
Alternate universe gay Robert, is everyone in your world really as obsessed with oral/fecal sex as you are?
Over here, the only people really obsessed with oral/fecal sex to your level are people we call "homophobes".

Robert
Mick

Pekin, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2013

Judged:

Robsan5 wrote:
<quoted text>
Snicker Snort.
Robert
Perhaps this is over your head, since yesterday you thought it was Hebrew. Give it a try and see how ignorant the argument you are referencing really is:

http://www.equip.org/articles/is-arsenokoitai...

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2013

Judged:

Mick wrote:
<quoted text>Perhaps this is over your head, since yesterday you thought it was Hebrew. Give it a try and see how ignorant the argument you are referencing really is:
http://www.equip.org/articles/is-arsenokoitai...
I see. Christian bigots are still finding way to justify their horrible behavior.

Thanks David.

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2013

Judged:

Kesla15 wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually i'm asserting widely held modern beliefs with my own twist on them. You can't really downplay my argument just because it is held by other people. Also the terms "pot" and "kettle" come to mind considering how you are defending a 2000-year-old text which is filled with hypocrisy.
Actually you are spouting uneducated misinformation you've read elsewhere and know nothing about personally.

When challenged to defend it, you duck.

I'm fully ready to answer any assertions I made.

Smile.

Since: Mar 07

The entire US of A

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2013

Judged:

Akmedsupply wrote:
The bible does speak of men laying with men and women laying with women as an abomination in the eyes of god.......!
Well, it's not so good if they are straight, but perfectly normal if they were gay.

So, which is it, based on the context of those Scriptures? Were those being admonished straight, or were they gay?

The entire US of A

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2013

Judged:

KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually you are spouting uneducated misinformation you've read elsewhere and know nothing about personally.
When challenged to defend it, you duck.
I'm fully ready to answer any assertions I made.
Smile.
You aren't Christian, so what's it to you? It's not like you have any desire whatsoever to be a winsome light that draws people to God.

You are about as far from that ideal as possible.

So, why pretend you are something you are not?

At least be honest.

The entire US of A

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2013

Judged:

Kesla15 wrote:
<quoted text>
I love how you have to resort to foul language in an attempt to discredit my argument, yet at the same time your rather rude response didn't actually counter to acknowledge any of my points.
Why?
Because you are unable to justify your hatred and you are merely regurgitating hateful thoughts fed to you from twisted sources.
And Kimare pretends to be Christian.

It has never made sense.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 14,981 - 15,000 of24,340
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••