Homosexuality and the Bible

Aug 15, 2011 Full story: www.smh.com.au 27,207

Given the ongoing debate about same-sex marriage, it is time I looked at the two Testaments to remind myself why belief is so hard for me to embrace.

Full Story
Robsan5

Modesto, CA

#16280 Feb 5, 2013
Genius, you still haven't said what word was replaced in 1946 by 'homosexual', and why 'homosexual' is a more accurate word than the word it replaced.

Snicker Snort.

Robert
Robsan5

Modesto, CA

#16281 Feb 5, 2013
Hey Genius, which of these 'accurate' translations is THE accurate translation of 1 Corinthians 6:9-11?
"The full text of the American Standard Version reads:
"Or know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with men, nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God. And such were some of you: but ye were washed, but ye were sanctified, but ye were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, and in the Spirit of our God."
The list of activities that will eliminate any possibility of salvation has been expressed by various English translations as:
-American Standard Version: unrighteous, fornicators, idolaters, adulterers, effeminate, abusers of themselves with men, thieves, covetous, drunkards, revilers or extortioners.
-Amplified Bible: unrighteous and wrongdoers; impure and immoral, idolaters, adulterers, homosexuality, cheats (swindlers and thieves), greedy graspers, drunkards, revilers and slanderers, extortioners and robbers
-The Answer: people who do wrong; sin sexually, worship idols, take part in adultery, male prostitutes, men who have sexual relations with other men, steal, greedy, get drunk, lie about others, rob
-The Authentic New Testament: evil-doers; immoral, idolaters, adulterers, homosexuals, thieves, userers, drunkards, foul-mouthed, extortioners
-Christian Standard Bible: sexually immoral people, idolaters, adulterers, male prostitutes, homosexuals, thieves, greedy people, drunkards, revilers, or swindlers
-The Jerusalem Bible: people who do wrong; people of immoral lives, idolaters, adulterers, catamites, sodomites, thieves, usurers, drunkards, slanderers, swindlers
-King James: unrighteous; fornicators, idolaters, adulterers, effeminate, abusers of themselves with mankind, thieves, covetous, drunkards, revilers, extortioners
-Living Bible: going to outside judges, immoral, idol worshipers, adulterers, homosexuals, thieves, greedy, drunkards, slanderers, robbers
-The Living New Testament: those doing such things, live immoral lives, idol worshipers, adulterers, homosexuals, thieves, greedy people, drunkards, slandermongers, robbers
-Modern Language: unrighteous; profligates. idolaters, adulterers, homosexuals, thieves, avaricious, drunkards, slanderers, robbers
-James Moffatt: wicked; immoral, idolaters, adulterers, catamites, sodomites, thieves, lustful, drunken, abusive, robbers
-New American: unjust; fornicators, idolaters, adulterers, boy prostitutes, practicing homosexuals, thieves, the greedy, drunkards, slanderers, robbers
-New American Standard: unrighteous; fornicators, idolaters, adulterers, effeminate, homosexuals, thieves, covetous, drunkards, revilers or swindlers.
-New Century Version: people who do wrong, sin sexually, worship idols, take part in adultery, men who have sexual relations with other men, steal, selfish, get drunk, lie about others, cheat
-New International: wicked; sexually immoral, idolaters, adulterers, male prostitutes, homosexual offenders, thieves, greedy, drunkards, slanderers, swindlers
-New Living Translation: those who do wrong; those who indulge in sexual sin, idol worshipers, adulterers, male prostitutes, homosexuals, thieves, greedy, drunkards, abusers, swindlers
-New Revised Standard Version: wrongdoers; fornicators, idolaters, adulterers, male prostitutes, sodomites, thieves, greedy drunkards, revilers, robbers
Robsan5

Modesto, CA

#16282 Feb 5, 2013
Con't-

"Text of 1 Corinthians 6:9-11
from various versions of the Bible

-New Testament and Psalms:(3) wrongdoers; sexually immoral, idolaters, adulterers, male prostitutes, thieves, greedy, drunkards, revilers, robbers
-New World: unrighteous; fornicators, idolaters, adulterers, men kept for unnatural purposes, men who lie with men, thieves, greedy persons, drunkards, revilers or extortioners.
-The Promise: evil people; immoral, worships idols, unfaithful in marriage, pervert or behaves like a homosexual...thief, greedy person, drunkards, anyone who curses and cheats others.
-Revised English Bible: wrongdoers; fornicator, idolater, adulterer, sexual pervert, thief, extortioner, drunkard, slanderer, swindler.
-Revised Standard: unrighteous; immoral, idolaters, adulterers, sexual perverts, thieves, greedy, drunkards, revilers, robbers
-Rheims New Testament: unjust; fornicators, idolaters, adulterers, effeminate, liers with mankind, thieves, covetous, drunkards, railers, extortioners
-The New Testament: lechers, idolaters, adulterers, effeminates, pederasts, thieves, covetous, drunken, abusive, rapacious (Translated by Richmond Lattimore)
-Today's English Version: wicked, immoral, worship idols, adulterers, homosexual perverts, steal, greedy, drunkards. slanders, thieves
-The United Gospels New Testament: unrighteous; fornicators, idolaters, adulterers, effeminate, abusers of themselves with mankind, thieves, covetous, drunkards, revilers, extortioners"

Snicker Snort.

Robert

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

#16285 Feb 5, 2013
Robsan5 wrote:
<quoted text>
So, how will it go with Man3/ES, the man who posts under two different names, and often asks himself questions that he doesn't understand?
Robert
:)

Since: Aug 09

Location hidden

#16287 Feb 6, 2013
Manmanman wrote:
<quoted text>
:)
What's the matter Blue Bottle Fly?

Tongue stuck in another cowpie?

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#16288 Feb 6, 2013
Robsan5 wrote:
Genius, you still haven't said what word was replaced in 1946 by 'homosexual', and why 'homosexual' is a more accurate word than the word it replaced.
Snicker Snort.
Robert
You missed one explanation.

Paul was trained the Jewish law as a Pharisee.'Man/bed'(arsenokoit &#275;s) is a direct reference to OT law forbidding gay sex. This has been the common, consistent and predominate interpretation of both Jews and Christians.

Moreover, your attempt to wedge the approval of any form of adultery or fornication into Judeo/Christian sexual doctrine is silly stupid.

'Homosexual' was used when it became the common word for gay sex, just as 'gay' transitioned from meaning happy to meaning homosexual.

Smile.

Location hidden

#16289 Feb 6, 2013
Robsan5 wrote:
Hey Genius, which of these 'accurate' translations is THE accurate translation of 1 Corinthians 6:9-11?
You are asserting that there is only one way to describe something.

Which word is THE accurate translation of your orientation?

Homosexual
Gay
Pervert
Faggot

Need I go on?

Words transition. Some lose favor while others gain. At a certain point in time, translations acknowledge that transition of words. Later, those words become outdated, and new translations are created.

This happens with all classic literature. Hence you have classics 'written in modern English'. Some are well done and others are not.

The NASB is considered the most 'accurate' translation to date in modern English. It is however, not as 'readable' as others, so translations such as the NIV are more popular.

Maybe you should stick with things you understand, rather than things you hate. It hinders honesty.

Smile.

Since: Aug 09

Location hidden

#16290 Feb 6, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Homosexual
Gay
Pervert
Faggot
Need I go on?
Words transition. Some lose favor while others gain. At a certain point in time, translations acknowledge that transition of words. Later, those words become outdated, and new translations are created.
This happens with all classic literature. Hence you have classics 'written in modern English'. Some are well done and others are not.
The NASB is considered the most 'accurate' translation to date in modern English. It is however, not as 'readable' as others, so translations such as the NIV are more popular.
Maybe you should stick with things you understand, rather than things you hate. It hinders honesty.
Smile.
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Homosexual
Gay
Pervert
Faggot
Need I go on?
Smile.
KiMare,

I am not commenting in defense of anyone with this. I am just comenting on the insincerety and condescension you bring with your erroneous post.

You provide four words to describe a person of same-sex orientation. One is typically clinical in use. The second is often self-descriptive or meant to be used as non-offensive for either male or female. The third is an older description of a mental illness which is realized to be incorrect. The fourth is a pejorative description of a male homosexual.

These four words are all different and are used to describe very differing views toward similar sets of individuals. As words, they do not mean the same thing.

Secondly, you cite the NASB edition of the bible as considered the "most accurate" translation to date. This is not true. The fact that you have written this demonstrates your ignorance of the matter.

"This happens with all classic literature?" I don't think so. The whole point of Fundamentalist/Literalist belief is that the biblical words, meanings and translations are not changed at all. To place them in a category of "classic literature" is to regard them as changed and subject to even more change over time.

Need you go on? Well,... you never really got going in the first place.

As for your advice on sticking with things you supposedly understand, for you I don't recommend it. To gain freedom from a hypocritical view requires something that you are not showing.

Rev. Ken

“The Kingdom of God Begins NOW!”

Since: May 07

The Mountain Empire

#16291 Feb 6, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Greek NASB Number: 733a
Greek Word: &#7936;&#961;&#963 ;&#949;&#957;&#959 ;&#954;&#959;&#805 5;&#964;&#951;&#96 2;
Transliterated Word: arsenokoitÍs
Root: from 733b and 2845;
Definition: a sodomite:--
List of English Words and Number of Times Used
homosexuals (2). New American Standard Exhaustive Concordance of the Bible.
The Old Testament wasn't written in Greek, where is the Hebrew word?
Robsan5

Modesto, CA

#16292 Feb 6, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Homosexual
Gay
Pervert
Faggot
Need I go on?
Smile.
Wrong again. Oh, and wrong again.
Your list of words that describe my orientation is inaccurate. None describe my sexual orientation. I am straight.
Your orientation, as usual, is stupid.
Let me expand of the good Rev's post:
Homosexual means to be attracted to the same sex (applies to men or women).
Gay typically refers to just male homosexuals.
Pervert refers to anyone (male or female) who engages in deviant sexual practices. The majority of Americans do not consider homosexuality to fall under this category.
Faggot is an insult homophobes like you throw out in a lame attempt to cover up your own homosexual desires.
So they do not mean the same thing, except perhaps in your little mind.

Please provide proof of your claim that the NASB is "the most accurate translation". By whom? Was there a vote? And if the NASB is the most accurate, then obviously all other translations are not the true word of god, right? In fact, if the NASB is only "the most accurate", then it also is not the true word of god.

Snicker Snort.

Robert

The Mountain Empire

#16293 Feb 6, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
The newer versions have incorporated recent finds such as the Dead Sea Scrolls. Also as language changes, old English can be more easily misunderstood.
There are no 'new' assaults on classic Christian doctrine. Just new attempts to justify immorality.
Smile.
LMAO!

I work on the Dead Sea Scrolls in Tel Aviv, I'm one of the ones who allows others to correct their Bibles!!

ONE BOOK of the Bible is contained in these scrolls.

Try the Nag Hammadi Library, I also work on translating those as well as many other less known finds.

LOL at the 'internet scholar' who believes Jews have a radiation gene from meeting an alien on top of a mountain.

Try going to school and getting a REAL education....

The Mountain Empire

#16294 Feb 6, 2013
FACT: the word homosexual was NEVER in the Bible.

Neither was the word verily.

LOL....
Robsan5

Modesto, CA

#16295 Feb 6, 2013
Oh Genius, still waiting for you to explain what word was replaced by homosexual in 1946, and why homosexual is "more accurate" than the word it replaced.

Snicker Snort.

Robert

Since: May 11

Location hidden

#16296 Feb 6, 2013
Robsan5 wrote:
Oh Genius, still waiting for you to explain what word was replaced by homosexual in 1946, and why homosexual is "more accurate" than the word it replaced.
Snicker Snort.
Robert
Is "queer" the word you are looking for?
While it is now regarded as being pejorative I do think it accurately describes some 2% of the population who cannot relate to the opposite sex.
Robsan5

Modesto, CA

#16297 Feb 6, 2013
Genius, here are the results of a google search for "most accurate bible":

"The NIV as it is called, is the most often used, the most reliable, and the most often quoted of any of the major translations that are used today."
"The Most Accurate & Honest of all Bible Translations- the NWT"
"Most biblical scholars consider the NRSV (New Revised Standard Version) to be the all around best translation. Although there are a few other decent translations on the market these days, this one is fairly "literal" while maintaining a natural English style, and is the most accurate over all."
"The best single English translation to use to get as close as possible to the exact sense of the original is "The Comparative Study Bible" by Zondervan publishing house in Grand Rapids, Michigan."
"Why the King James Bible is Still the Best and Most Accurate"
"Still, the American Standard remains one of the most accurate of English language versions."

You are stupid.

Snicker Snort.

Robert
Robsan5

Modesto, CA

#16298 Feb 6, 2013
Ivorydick wrote:
<quoted text>
Is "queer" the word you are looking for?
While it is now regarded as being pejorative I do think it accurately describes some 2% of the population who cannot relate to the opposite sex.
You tell me. The word 'homosexual' was added to the bible in 1946. You'll have to look at a bible written before then to know what word it replaced. But you already knew that, didn't you?

Robert

Location hidden

#16299 Feb 6, 2013
RevKen wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
KiMare,
I am not commenting in defense of anyone with this. I am just comenting on the insincerety and condescension you bring with your erroneous post.
You provide four words to describe a person of same-sex orientation. One is typically clinical in use. The second is often self-descriptive or meant to be used as non-offensive for either male or female. The third is an older description of a mental illness which is realized to be incorrect. The fourth is a pejorative description of a male homosexual.
These four words are all different and are used to describe very differing views toward similar sets of individuals. As words, they do not mean the same thing.
Secondly, you cite the NASB edition of the bible as considered the "most accurate" translation to date. This is not true. The fact that you have written this demonstrates your ignorance of the matter.
"This happens with all classic literature?" I don't think so. The whole point of Fundamentalist/Literalist belief is that the biblical words, meanings and translations are not changed at all. To place them in a category of "classic literature" is to regard them as changed and subject to even more change over time.
Need you go on? Well,... you never really got going in the first place.
As for your advice on sticking with things you supposedly understand, for you I don't recommend it. To gain freedom from a hypocritical view requires something that you are not showing.
Rev. Ken
What condensation and insincerity?

I simply make a point that words shift and change, or different words are used describing the same thing, hence different translations. Nothing you said changes that fact.

I used an example that related to the participants. That is simply a wise example. I'm sorry you don't like it.

I disagree with your opinion about the NASB, and so do most Christian scholars.

The intent of the most popular translations is to accurately translate the Bible from manuscripts, not re-write the message. They often leave both liberal and conservative believers upset about something.

You make my point about hatred.

Again.

Smile.

Location hidden

#16300 Feb 6, 2013
MiddleWay wrote:
<quoted text>
The Old Testament wasn't written in Greek, where is the Hebrew word?
That wasn't the question.

I answered the question. Go back and look at it.

Smile.

Location hidden

#16301 Feb 6, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Homosexual
Gay
Pervert
Faggot
Need I go on?
Smile.
Robsan5 wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong again. Oh, and wrong again.
Your list of words that describe my orientation is inaccurate. None describe my sexual orientation. I am straight.
Your orientation, as usual, is stupid.
Let me expand of the good Rev's post:
Homosexual means to be attracted to the same sex (applies to men or women).
Gay typically refers to just male homosexuals.
Pervert refers to anyone (male or female) who engages in deviant sexual practices. The majority of Americans do not consider homosexuality to fall under this category.
Faggot is an insult homophobes like you throw out in a lame attempt to cover up your own homosexual desires.
So they do not mean the same thing, except perhaps in your little mind.
Please provide proof of your claim that the NASB is "the most accurate translation". By whom? Was there a vote? And if the NASB is the most accurate, then obviously all other translations are not the true word of god, right? In fact, if the NASB is only "the most accurate", then it also is not the true word of god.
Snicker Snort.
Robert
Hardly, you have shown time and time again you are sooooo gay.

As to my word example, you make my point. Perspective chooses different words. All of those words are used by different people to describe homosexuals. The better translations recognize this, and conduct translations in a group.

On occasion, a single individual does, such as the 'Message' translation. People knowing the translator trust his work, but also describe it as a 'paraphrase' because the focus is on readability, not accuracy

Do your own research on the NASB.

Most people would use 'pervert' to describe you.

Location hidden

#16302 Feb 6, 2013
MiddleWay wrote:
<quoted text>
LMAO!
I work on the Dead Sea Scrolls in Tel Aviv, I'm one of the ones who allows others to correct their Bibles!!
ONE BOOK of the Bible is contained in these scrolls.
Try the Nag Hammadi Library, I also work on translating those as well as many other less known finds.
LOL at the 'internet scholar' who believes Jews have a radiation gene from meeting an alien on top of a mountain.
Try going to school and getting a REAL education....
I said,'SUCH AS the Dead Sea scrolls'.

I did so, because most people are familiar with them.

Judging from your comprehension shown so far, I really doubt you work on translating anything. if you do, you should be fired.

Smile.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wedding Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
How to Witness to a Jehovah's Witness Ray Comfo... 18 min The Real Karen 242
Pastors opposed to gay marriage swear off all c... 47 min Rick in Kansas 85
Taco Bell Responds To 'Leaked' Gay Commercial 50 min RalphB 8
Gay marriage dynamic in U.S. shifted dramatical... 1 hr WeTheSheeple 1
Alaska's 1st known gay marriage in Arctic town 1 hr KiMare 50
Gay marriage comes to Missouri. Wait ... what? 3 hr Sneaky Pete 106
Zen Buddhist Temple in Japan Offers Symbolic Sa... 12 hr DRUDAEGCNTIENDEBD... 52
More from around the web