Homosexuality and the Bible

Homosexuality and the Bible

There are 33282 comments on the www.smh.com.au story from Aug 15, 2011, titled Homosexuality and the Bible. In it, www.smh.com.au reports that:

Given the ongoing debate about same-sex marriage, it is time I looked at the two Testaments to remind myself why belief is so hard for me to embrace.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.smh.com.au.

“Trolls are Clueless”

Since: Dec 07

Aptos, California

#16254 Feb 4, 2013
MiddleWay wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL!
Nope, it's like most recent modernized condensed rewritten by monks version written by MAN with evil in his heart.
If Yeshua said:
18 Yes indeed! I tell you that until heaven and earth pass away, not so much as a yud or a stroke will pass from the Torah — not until everything that must happen has happened. 19 So whoever disobeys the least of these mitzvot and teaches others to do so will be called the least in the Kingdom of Heaven. But whoever obeys them and so teaches will be called great in the Kingdom of Heaven.
there will be HELL to pay for rewriting the teachings.
How is it us Jews (and other scholars) know these things...
You guys wrote the book (Hebrew Scripture that is). You also study it the right way and learn ancient Hebrew. These phony baloney Christians are so light weight compared to Jews.

“The Kingdom of God Begins NOW!”

Since: May 07

The Mountain Empire

#16256 Feb 5, 2013
LuLu Ford wrote:
<quoted text>
You guys wrote the book (Hebrew Scripture that is). You also study it the right way and learn ancient Hebrew. These phony baloney Christians are so light weight compared to Jews.
They CLAIM to know the Bible.

The first step would be for them to READ it, in the oldest version they can find, the truer versions.

Or to make it simple for the ignorant, they could just read the red lines the New Testament.

;-)

I'm grateful for your post, informative and humorous, just what's need on this thread.....

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#16258 Feb 5, 2013
MiddleWay wrote:
<quoted text>
The first step would be for them to READ it, in the oldest version they can find, the truer versions.
The newer versions have incorporated recent finds such as the Dead Sea Scrolls. Also as language changes, old English can be more easily misunderstood.

There are no 'new' assaults on classic Christian doctrine. Just new attempts to justify immorality.

Smile.

“Busting Kimare's”

Since: Feb 13

Clitty

#16259 Feb 5, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
The newer versions have incorporated recent finds such as the Dead Sea Scrolls....
Smile.
And alien radiation?

My vagina itches.

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#16260 Feb 5, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
The newer versions have incorporated recent finds such as the Dead Sea Scrolls. Also as language changes, old English can be more easily misunderstood.
There are no 'new' assaults on classic Christian doctrine. Just new attempts to justify immorality.
Smile.
Not really. There is only one book of the Bible discovered in the Dead Sea Scrolls.

Nice try though.

“Trolls are Clueless”

Since: Dec 07

Aptos, California

#16261 Feb 5, 2013
MiddleWay wrote:
<quoted text>
Or to make it simple for the ignorant, they could just read the red lines the New Testament.
;-)
I'm grateful for your post, informative and humorous, just what's need on this thread.....
Thank you. Considering that 75% of the Bible comes from Hebrew Scripture, I would say you guys are the experts. What's more, the Christian Cult originally were Jews and followed Scripture in the Midrash tradition which fifth century Christian Church founders had no knowledge of. The Christian religion was wrongly founded upon belief rather than study. It is full of cliches and fluff as a result.

Location hidden

#16263 Feb 5, 2013
WasteWater wrote:
<quoted text>
Not really. There is only one book of the Bible discovered in the Dead Sea Scrolls.
Nice try though.
I said "such as".

Smile.

http://carm.org/manuscript-evidence

http://thegospelcoalition.org/blogs/justintay...

If you want more, let me know.

Location hidden

#16265 Feb 5, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
I said "such as".
Smile.
http://carm.org/manuscript-evidence
http://thegospelcoalition.org/blogs/justintay...
If you want more, let me know.
Proving that the Bible was written by a bunch of men. So what?

The Bible is still crap.

Location hidden

#16266 Feb 5, 2013
WasteWater wrote:
<quoted text>
Proving that the Bible was written by a bunch of men. So what?
The Bible is still crap.
No, I proved you don't know what you are talking about.

Bazinga!

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

#16268 Feb 5, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Bazinga!
:)
El Segundo

El Segundo, CA

#16269 Feb 5, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Bazinga!
:)

“Busting Kimare's”

Since: Feb 13

Clitty

#16270 Feb 5, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Bazinga!
Not really.

:-)

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

#16271 Feb 5, 2013
So, how will it go with RevKen, the man with the problems? ;):)
Robsan5

Modesto, CA

#16272 Feb 5, 2013
Manmanman wrote:
So, how will it go with RevKen, the man with the problems? ;):)
So, how will it go with Man3/ES, the man who posts under two different names, and often asks himself questions that he doesn't understand?

Robert
Robsan5

Modesto, CA

#16273 Feb 5, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Smile.
The word 'homosexual' wasn't coined until the late 1800's, and wasn't added to the bible until 1946. What word in the bible did it replace, and why is it a more accurate translation for a word that didn't exist 1500-2000 years ago?

Snicker Snort.

Robert

Location hidden

#16274 Feb 5, 2013
Robsan5 wrote:
<quoted text>
The word 'homosexual' wasn't coined until the late 1800's, and wasn't added to the bible until 1946. What word in the bible did it replace, and why is it a more accurate translation for a word that didn't exist 1500-2000 years ago?
Snicker Snort.
Robert
Greek NASB Number: 733a

Greek Word: &#7936;&#961;&#963 ;&#949;&#957;&#959 ;&#954;&#959;&#805 5;&#964;&#951;&#96 2;

Transliterated Word: arsenokoitês
Root: from 733b and 2845;

Definition: a sodomite:--

List of English Words and Number of Times Used
homosexuals (2). New American Standard Exhaustive Concordance of the Bible.

“Plays well with others.”

Since: Jun 07

LIVING WELL*THE BEST REVENGE

#16275 Feb 5, 2013
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/02/05/matt...

Do you think David Moore has a GRINDR account?

Location hidden

#16276 Feb 5, 2013
Selecia Jones- JAX FL wrote:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ 2013/02/05/matt-moore-grindr-e x-gay-christian-blogger_n_2622 614.html
Do you think David Moore has a GRINDR account?
No it's a different guy.
Robsan5

Modesto, CA

#16277 Feb 5, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Greek NASB Number: 733a
Greek Word: &#7936;&#961;&#963 ;&#949;&#957;&#959 ;&#954;&#959;&#805 5;&#964;&#951;&#96 2;
Transliterated Word: arsenokoitês
Root: from 733b and 2845;
Definition: a sodomite:--
List of English Words and Number of Times Used
homosexuals (2). New American Standard Exhaustive Concordance of the Bible.
"In both letters, Paul uses an obscure Greek term (the New Testament is almost entirely in Greek) that has lately been translated with prejudice. The particular word is the rare gutter word arsenokoites, a compound word composed of arsen meaning man in the sense of ‘male adult,’ and koites meaning ‘bed’(with undertones that suggest having sex). Its meaning is impossible to be specific about (it is not found anywhere else in the Bible and almost nowhere in all Greek literature."
"History of Arsenokoites

There is no example of the word arsenokoites before Paul’s two uses of it. Thereafter it occurs no more than 74 times in the intervening millennia, with 56 of these in the six centuries after Paul coined it.

Around 35 A.D., the Jewish philosopher Philo (a contemporary of Paul’s) held that arsenokoites referred to shrine prostitution (Philo, The Special Laws, III, VII, 40-42). This is the origin this site suggests for it (see comments on the letters to Timothy and Corinth), though the context suggests that Paul may have been condemning pederasty, group sexual orgies, and/or people who are not innately gay/lesbian/bisexual but who engage in homosexual acts. Philo apparently felt that the word condemned pederasty and incest as well.

Somewhat later appeared the apocryphal Acts of John (a 2nd-century Christian text) and the Sibylline Oracles (a third- or fourth-century Jewish text); in both the word occurs among sins related to economics, i.e., sex induced by a need for money. A meaning reflecting homosexual rape appears in the second century Apology of Aristides (chapters 9 and 13) and the third century Refutatio Omnium Haeresium of Hippolytus. The Apology tells of the rape by Zeus of the mortal boy Ganymede; in a somewhat similar tale in Hippolytus (chapter 5), a fallen (male) angel named Naas forcibly rapes Adam in the Garden. Both of course share the common thread of an aggressor forcing himself on a weaker individual – a meaning that would also fit the other contexts quite well.

A revealing use of it appears around 575 A.D.; Joannes Jejunator (John the Faster), the Patriarch of Constantinople, used the word in a treatise that instructed confessor priests how to ask their parishioners about sexual sin. Here it appears in the context of a paragraph dealing with incestuous relations, and if translated as ‘homosexuality,’ the sentence containing it would read “In fact, many men even commit the sin of homosexuality with their wives.”(Patrologiae cursus completus, Series Graeca, 88:1893-96) Though at the time it apparently referred to anal or oral sex or to sex forced upon a woman, it pretty clearly had nothing to do with homosexuality.

And, because arsen is singular, there was a long period leading up to the Reformation in which the term was taken to refer to masturbation (i.e., involving only one male), a translation that persists in some Greek dictionaries today."

Robert
Robsan5

Modesto, CA

#16278 Feb 5, 2013
Con't-
"Other Meaning Evidence

Paul’s obvious knowledge of the Jewish scriptures makes the analysis of arsenokoites as referring to shrine prostitution compelling for an objective researcher.

Suppose, however, that such simple logic is set aside in finding the word’s meaning.

In Greek culture, relationships between men (and particularly between a master and his pupil) were common; they were an important theme in literature, and there was a range of very specific Greek words that Paul could have chosen among. The argument has been made that Paul coined a new term because he wanted to condemn more than just, say, pederasty, and his new term avoided using a multitude of specific Greek terms in order to cover the whole subject. This demonstrates both prejudice and a solid ignorance of ancient Greek; Greek also had general words to refer to homosexuality.

Trying to figure out what the word means by looking just at its component parts is linguistically naïve. Of course, at one time the meaning of any compound word did depend on some aspects of the parts, but language change and usage quickly alter and can obscure this. Consider the parts of ‘chairman,’ which did indeed begin with ‘chair’(meaning ‘throne,’ something it doesn’t mean nowadays) and ‘man’ but now is compounded to produce a very different word that doesn’t necessarily involve either chairs or men.

A case can be (though usually isn’t) made that arsenokoites does apply to homosexuality by using the analogy of some other (mostly very rare) compound words of similar vintage. Arsenokoites – the first part of which means ‘adult male’– appears to fit neatly within a pattern:
• doulo·koitEs consorter with slaves (slave-bedder)
• deuteron·koite to have a bed-fellow (two-bedder)
• polu·koitos promiscuity (many-bedder)
• homo·koitos
• enOto·koitEs bedfellow (same-bedder)
with ears large enough to sleep in (ears·bed)
Unfortunately for such a scheme, there is already a combination for sex with a male:

• andro·koitEs having intercourse with a man
and it is a feature of languages that they do not create different forms for identical meanings.

In addition, consider the parts of enOto·koitEs. A logical meaning for this word, if the key were analogy to the others in the set, would be something like ‘a person with a (sexual) ear fetish.’ The morphology of a word provides clues to how it was originally made, but in terms of meaning, it only shows how very fertile the process of language creation is. A similar process could produce arseno + koites = man + bed, &#8776; man sleeping &#8594; couch potato."

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wedding Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Ireland same-sex marriage 5 min Gremlin 376
News Why I'll be voting 'No' to same-sex marriage, e... 6 min Wondering 2,561
News Obama to 5-Year-Old Gay Marriage Advocate: 'Cou... 20 min Gremlin 51
News Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 22 min lides 51,762
News Ireland gay marriage: Northern Ireland must now... 1 hr jason norris 16
News The Christian owners of a bakery found to have ... 1 hr Ex Senator Santpo... 29
News Republic of Ireland votes for equal marriage 2 hr truthandcommonsense 158
More from around the web