Homosexuality and the Bible

Aug 15, 2011 Full story: www.smh.com.au 27,030

Given the ongoing debate about same-sex marriage, it is time I looked at the two Testaments to remind myself why belief is so hard for me to embrace.

Full Story
Robsan5

Modesto, CA

#16177 Jan 27, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
That makes me a hermaphroditic genetic chimera.
You are clearly the troll.
:-)
No wonder you are confused. And stupid.

Snicker Snort.

Robert

Since: Aug 09

Location hidden

#16178 Jan 27, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
1. By the vast consensus of Christian theology and members, you have abandoned the Christian Church and embraced heresy.
2. Gay twirl. Marriage doesn't constrain mating behavior, it 'liberates' it to one partner. Seriously 'rev.'???
You then top it off by saying a child blended by the union of marriage doesn't 'define' them? Do you read what you write???
Moreover, my wife and I 'limited' our lives for 20 years to raise our two children. It is the highlight of our life to date.
3. Gay couples may demonstrate the unique product of marriage, they just can't duplicate it. Ever.
4. Gay couples can't procreate. See the difference?
In the latest, largest and most scientific study to date, lesbian couples ranked last of seven family types (male couples didn't even rank). Behind single parents.
I didn't 'stereo type' families, I simply noted the scientific fact of natural parents and the other default types.
5. If all you want is a contract, get a lawyer.
There are lots of committed relationships that are sacred. Only one is marriage. Gay couples are a desecration of sacred marriage.
6. All a gay couple models is duplication. It clearly violates the Scriptural description of a man leaving his father and mother and being united with his wife.
As to broken marriages, you simply pervert the hardness of heart Jesus spoke of. That certainly doesn't justify calling gay couples married. Again, what a stupid argument.
The hand writing is on your wall 'rev'.
Snicker.
Dear old, dried-out Snicker Bar,

Let's review your replies.

1. Vast consensus? There are now about 6 billion people on this planet. How many of them are "Christians?"

By your logic, because the "Christians" are, by a "vast consensus," a minority of the world's population, they are wrong to be followers of Jesus in their beliefs.

By your logic, the "vast consensus" among the Christians of 750 years ago, a full 1250 years AFTER the Ministry and Teaching of Christ Jesus, was that the world was flat with edges that one could fall over and never return. The same "vast consensus" believed that the Sun revolved around the Earth.

The same "vast consensus" also believed that the demon-borne disease of Malaria was contracted by breathing the "bad air" (mal - aria) that hangs over swamps. They were pretty close. Mosquito populations thrive in swampy areas. "Vast consensus?"

Now. Let's set the record straight.

It is YOU who have chosen to take up the beliefs of your precursors, which beliefs are full of heresy and misconception and a fractured, misdirected understanding of what Christ Jesus actually taught.

The "vast consensus" of Your own "Christian" predecessors believed that black people were somewhat less than human.

Why is it that you no longer believe this, yourself? They did. Why don't you?

The "vast consensus" of "Christians" yet today are taught that women cannot function as priests and presbyters, pastors and ministers and deacons and apostles. Do you believe this? Are you one of the "vast consensus" that continues to hold that women are incapable of holding and serving Christ through these offices?

This is not what Christ Jesus taught. If you believe in any way at all that he held a Divine insight, then you have to acknowledge that the Gospel was first delivered into the world through a woman - whether by Mary his mother, at his birth or by Mary, his friend and companion, upon his resurrection.

How did you go wrong?

In the Acts of the Apostles, a story is told of Philip being guided to an Ethiopian eunuch who held a high position in his Court. Philip brought him into the light. Was there something inferior about this eunuch? All we know about him was that he was both a black man and not heterosexual. He was literate and held a high position of authority. He was also deeply spiritual and was seeking to know God.

Thank God for the the story of this one human being.

Rev. Ken
An ordained priest.
Robsan5

Modesto, CA

#16179 Jan 27, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
In the latest, largest and most scientific study to date, lesbian couples ranked last of seven family types (male couples didn't even rank). Behind single parents.
Please post all these great scientific studies. Or even just the study you reference here.
Oh, and if males couples "didn't even rank", wouldn't that make them last?!?

Please keep displaying your stupidity, genius.

Robert

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#16181 Jan 27, 2013
RevKen wrote:
<quoted text>
Dear old, dried-out Snicker Bar,
Let's review your replies.
1. Vast consensus? There are now about 6 billion people on this planet. How many of them are "Christians?"
By your logic, because the "Christians" are, by a "vast consensus," a minority of the world's population, they are wrong to be followers of Jesus in their beliefs.
By your logic, the "vast consensus" among the Christians of 750 years ago, a full 1250 years AFTER the Ministry and Teaching of Christ Jesus, was that the world was flat with edges that one could fall over and never return. The same "vast consensus" believed that the Sun revolved around the Earth.
The same "vast consensus" also believed that the demon-borne disease of Malaria was contracted by breathing the "bad air" (mal - aria) that hangs over swamps. They were pretty close. Mosquito populations thrive in swampy areas. "Vast consensus?"
Now. Let's set the record straight.
It is YOU who have chosen to take up the beliefs of your precursors, which beliefs are full of heresy and misconception and a fractured, misdirected understanding of what Christ Jesus actually taught.
The "vast consensus" of Your own "Christian" predecessors believed that black people were somewhat less than human.
Why is it that you no longer believe this, yourself? They did. Why don't you?
The "vast consensus" of "Christians" yet today are taught that women cannot function as priests and presbyters, pastors and ministers and deacons and apostles. Do you believe this? Are you one of the "vast consensus" that continues to hold that women are incapable of holding and serving Christ through these offices?
This is not what Christ Jesus taught. If you believe in any way at all that he held a Divine insight, then you have to acknowledge that the Gospel was first delivered into the world through a woman - whether by Mary his mother, at his birth or by Mary, his friend and companion, upon his resurrection.
How did you go wrong?
In the Acts of the Apostles, a story is told of Philip being guided to an Ethiopian eunuch who held a high position in his Court. Philip brought him into the light. Was there something inferior about this eunuch? All we know about him was that he was both a black man and not heterosexual. He was literate and held a high position of authority. He was also deeply spiritual and was seeking to know God.
Thank God for the the story of this one human being.
Rev. Ken
An ordained priest.
I didn't equate the consensus of the world. I accurately did the theology and membership of Christians. Nothing you pontificated on changes that.

The 'vast consensus' of a flat earth was the science of the time. Scripture never says 'flat'.

You insinuate a brief, sad period of American history with all of Christianity. Dishonest once again. The book of Philemon is a clear argument against slavery. Moreover, it was then and is now Christians who fought against slavery. Look who is on the front lines against sex trafficking right now. No one else did or does now.

Again you expose your heresy with false claims. Scripture clearly and consistently prohibits women in formal positions of authority over men. Mary and Mary were not in such positions. Moreover, it was what Jesus practiced.

As to the Ethiopian, here is what Jesus said,

Matthew 19:12 (NASB)
"For there are eunuchs who were born that way from their mother's womb; and there are eunuchs who were made eunuchs by men; and there are also eunuchs who made themselves eunuchs for the sake of the kingdom of heaven. He who is able to accept this, let him accept it."

Which one are you talking about?

You may be a priest, but clearly not in the Church of Jesus Christ.

Smile.

Location hidden

#16183 Jan 27, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
I didn't equate the consensus of the world. I accurately did the theology and membership of Christians. Nothing you pontificated on changes that.
The 'vast consensus' of a flat earth was the science of the time. Scripture never says 'flat'.
You insinuate a brief, sad period of American history with all of Christianity. Dishonest once again. The book of Philemon is a clear argument against slavery. Moreover, it was then and is now Christians who fought against slavery. Look who is on the front lines against sex trafficking right now. No one else did or does now.
Again you expose your heresy with false claims. Scripture clearly and consistently prohibits women in formal positions of authority over men. Mary and Mary were not in such positions. Moreover, it was what Jesus practiced.
As to the Ethiopian, here is what Jesus said,
Matthew 19:12 (NASB)
"For there are eunuchs who were born that way from their mother's womb; and there are eunuchs who were made eunuchs by men; and there are also eunuchs who made themselves eunuchs for the sake of the kingdom of heaven. He who is able to accept this, let him accept it."
Which one are you talking about?
You may be a priest, but clearly not in the Church of Jesus Christ.
Smile.
LOL!!!.... No.-I- EQUATED THE CONSENSUS OF THE WORLD - to show just how worthless an argument can be when based upon a peculiarly misguided consensus. Any "vast consensus" can be erroneous, just as the "vast consensus" in which you have put your faith has all too frequently been shown to be!

The letter of Paul to Philemon is not a discussion of the institution of slavery, which, in other texts had already been shown to be acceptable. It is in reference to an individual. Read your bible.

As for flatness, scripture says that God said, "Let there be lights in the dome of the sky ..." implying that the expanse of dry land, which is earth, existed before the hanging of the "lights." They were not understood to be stars of the cosmic deep.

So, Dear Smiley, you are full of Baloney.

I do not relish ridiculing anyone; unless they persist in trying to push the innocent and ostracized among us into a detrimental position.

Jesus tells us, repeatedly, to protect the children. Jesus shows us repeatedly to regard our mothers, sisters, significant others, wives, daughters and the entire female population with absolute respect.

There is a reason why Jesus did as his mother asked at the Wedding in Cana. This was his first miracle. In spite of his reticence and objections, he did as he was asked.

Later, when the sisters, Mary and Martha, hosted the "inner circle" disciples, Martha complained that Mary would not help with the chores of hospitality. Jesus was not sympathetic to Martha. Instead, he stated with obvious conviction that Mary was exactly where she was SUPPOSED to be, taking in the Teachings!- and for what purpose?

Everyone who was there taking in the Teachings was there so that they could later propagate the dissemination of the Gospel.

It is the height of patristic arrogance and a willful denial to continue to hold that women are incapable of holding any specific office of spiritual guidance or to competently conduct the Ministry of the Gospel of Christ Jesus. They have proven their full capability. They now serve and are welcome in the priesthood at every level.

I am sorry that you feel that you have to deny a significant part of the reality that exists in Christ Jesus. You have effectively locked yourself into the past. But, that is where you feel comfortable. Until you make the commitment necessary to accept the truth, you will continue to blindly hold misconceptions.

Jesus said, "I am the Way, the truth and the life...."

When you are ready to upgrade your understanding, we will be ready in the Spirit to answer.

Rev. Ken

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#16184 Jan 28, 2013
RevKen wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL!!!.... No.-I- EQUATED THE CONSENSUS OF THE WORLD - to show just how worthless an argument can be when based upon a peculiarly misguided consensus. Any "vast consensus" can be erroneous, just as the "vast consensus" in which you have put your faith has all too frequently been shown to be!
The letter of Paul to Philemon is not a discussion of the institution of slavery, which, in other texts had already been shown to be acceptable. It is in reference to an individual. Read your bible.
As for flatness, scripture says that God said, "Let there be lights in the dome of the sky ..." implying that the expanse of dry land, which is earth, existed before the hanging of the "lights." They were not understood to be stars of the cosmic deep.
So, Dear Smiley, you are full of Baloney.
I do not relish ridiculing anyone; unless they persist in trying to push the innocent and ostracized among us into a detrimental position.
Jesus tells us, repeatedly, to protect the children. Jesus shows us repeatedly to regard our mothers, sisters, significant others, wives, daughters and the entire female population with absolute respect.
There is a reason why Jesus did as his mother asked at the Wedding in Cana. This was his first miracle. In spite of his reticence and objections, he did as he was asked.
Later, when the sisters, Mary and Martha, hosted the "inner circle" disciples, Martha complained that Mary would not help with the chores of hospitality. Jesus was not sympathetic to Martha. Instead, he stated with obvious conviction that Mary was exactly where she was SUPPOSED to be, taking in the Teachings!- and for what purpose?
Everyone who was there taking in the Teachings was there so that they could later propagate the dissemination of the Gospel.
It is the height of patristic arrogance and a willful denial to continue to hold that women are incapable of holding any specific office of spiritual guidance or to competently conduct the Ministry of the Gospel of Christ Jesus. They have proven their full capability. They now serve and are welcome in the priesthood at every level.
...we will be ready in the spirit of deception to answer.
Rev. Ken
I know exactly what you tried to 'equate'. Your Christian theology isn't judged by the world, it's judged by the Word. Like I said, those who know the Word judge you a heretic.

The message of the Bible is that sin brings slavery. Not God's design at all. Jesus brings freedom, and that is exemplified by history. Philemon is the message of a slave becoming a brother.

Respect goes to all people. Authority does not. Jesus obeyed his mother as a child, and respected her as an adult. The context of the Martha and Mary incident is that they were there to serve Jesus and the disciples. You once again falsely equate the desire to hear God speak with His commission of Disciples. Clearly Mary and Martha were not included in the latter.

The prohibition of formal positions of authority by women over men is clearly stated at the end of I Tim 2. Immediately formal positions in the Church follow in I Tim 3.

I am simply and accurately stating the consistent teachings of God's Word and the practice that followed. You have created a self designed theology where your god does your bidding and submits to your understanding. You clearly have the stature of a god confused with yourself.

But please, try another example from God's Word that equates gender authority.

Meanwhile rev., here is a question for you. If there were a group of women in a church with specific needs and problems, according to Biblical instruction, who would you appoint to assist them? All women? All men? Or mixed?

Smile.

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

#16185 Jan 28, 2013
Hi KiMare. I agree with you in a lot. RevKen seems to struggle with disrespect.
El Segundo

El Segundo, CA

#16186 Jan 28, 2013
Hi KiMare. I also agree with you in a lot. The very unreverend Ken misbelieves homosexuality is resulting from accident of nature. Homosexuality truthfully results from Satanic origin of intervention. RevKen suks. I give his posts the bottom judge, but I will pray for him.

Peace

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

#16187 Jan 28, 2013
El Segundo wrote:
Hi KiMare. I also agree with you in a lot. The very unreverend Ken misbelieves homosexuality is resulting from accident of nature. Homosexuality truthfully results from Satanic origin of intervention. RevKen suks. I give his posts the bottom judge, but I will pray for him.
Peace
:)
Robsan5

Modesto, CA

#16188 Jan 28, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
I know exactly what you tried to 'equate'. Your Christian theology isn't judged by the world, it's judged by the Word. Like I said, those who know the Word judge you a heretic.
The guy who says that god is a radioactive alien is calling some else a heretic?!? Gee, I wonder what the consensus of christians is regarding god being a radioactive alien.
Thanks for posting and showing us how stupid you are.

Robert

“THERE IS NO GOD”

Since: Feb 09

Northern California

#16189 Jan 28, 2013
RevKen wrote:
<quoted text> There are now about 6 billion people on this planet. How many of them are "Christians?"
That is easy to answer, none of them. There is no such thing as a Christian upon the earth because no one, especially the candidates for the lunatic asylum who post their madness here, do not qualify.

Those who claim they are a Christian are like the passengers on the Titanic who re-arranged the deck chairs as the ship sank.

This makes Christianity a pathetic evil, an abomination. You all have turned it into a crime against humanity.

“THERE IS NO GOD”

Northern California

#16190 Jan 28, 2013
Robsan5 wrote:
<quoted text>
The guy who says that god is a radioactive alien is calling some else a heretic?!? Gee, I wonder what the consensus of christians is regarding god being a radioactive alien.
Thanks for posting and showing us how stupid you are.
Robert
That makes as much sense as what the Bible says God is. Besides since you are so stupid that you believe just any old tale you are told, why does it matter which one you believe?

“THERE IS NO GOD”

Northern California

#16191 Jan 28, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
blah blah blah blah blah blah snipped.
I'd rather watch paint dry than bore myself reading another of your pointless fantasies. You haven't a clue what you are talking about.
Robsan5

Modesto, CA

#16192 Jan 28, 2013
Reverend Alan wrote:
<quoted text>
That makes as much sense as what the Bible says God is. Besides since you are so stupid that you believe just any old tale you are told, why does it matter which one you believe?
Which "old tale" do I believe?

Robert

“THERE IS NO GOD”

Northern California

#16194 Jan 28, 2013
Robsan5 wrote:
<quoted text>
Which "old tale" do I believe?
Robert
Does it matter? Any one is as bad as any other. Believe nothing, verify everything.
You are all idiots

Leeds, UK

#16195 Jan 28, 2013
Seriously, why is this even a debate? According to the bible we shouldn't eat pork, we shouldn't get divorces, we shouldn't get aroused by anyone other than our partners, and we should treat women as lower-class citizens.
Henceforth any man who tells me homosexuality is an abomination is going to have his wife stoned.
Any woman I'm going to personally stone. Just as the good book tells us to.
Oh, and let's not forget some of the cooler parts of the bible! Have you guys ever heard of Deuteronomy? Sure, it's the most horrendous and disgusting book in the bible, but it sure works wonders for giving you filthy bigots a metaphorical slap to the face.
God never personally said anything about homosexuality, nor did Jesus. You twats are touting the ignorance of MAN, not of God. MAN wrote and spoke those words.
I mean shit, Jesus himself said "Love thy neighbour as you would thyself", "But Lord Jesus, what of the blacks, gays, and women?" "What, did I fucking stutter?" (I might be ad-libbing a little).
And hey, on that not, one of those men wrote "Man should not lay with man as he would with woman", which is pretty obviously just stating that one should partake in sodomy in such a case.
And now onto the science of why you people are wrong: You believe God makes everything, yes? Well here's a fun question: WHY did he make gay folk?
And since God makes man in his own image, I guess that means he's quite the fabulous divine entity, doesn't it?
A person can not control their own neural biology, and as such can NOT in ANY way control who they are and are not attracted to.
Your religion is stolen from another which was stolen from another, even Jesus wasn't Christian. That's how terrible a group you tend to be.
And on that note: Actually prove anything you're saying. And since you CAN'T prove any of it, feel free to keep your ignorance and bigotry to your own damn self you dense, putrid heap of vaginal discharge.
Robsan5

Modesto, CA

#16196 Jan 28, 2013
Reverend Alan wrote:
<quoted text>
Does it matter? Any one is as bad as any other. Believe nothing, verify everything.
It does matter. You said I am "so stupid because I believe any old tale."
What "old tale" do I believe?

Robert

Since: Aug 11

Santa Cruz, CA

#16198 Jan 28, 2013
You are all idiots wrote:
Seriously, why is this even a debate? According to the bible we shouldn't eat pork, we shouldn't get divorces, we shouldn't get aroused by anyone other than our partners, and we should treat women as lower-class citizens.
Henceforth any man who tells me homosexuality is an abomination is going to have his wife stoned.
Any woman I'm going to personally stone. Just as the good book tells us to.
Oh, and let's not forget some of the cooler parts of the bible! Have you guys ever heard of Deuteronomy? Sure, it's the most horrendous and disgusting book in the bible, but it sure works wonders for giving you filthy bigots a metaphorical slap to the face.
God never personally said anything about homosexuality, nor did Jesus. You twats are touting the ignorance of MAN, not of God. MAN wrote and spoke those words.
I mean shit, Jesus himself said "Love thy neighbour as you would thyself", "But Lord Jesus, what of the blacks, gays, and women?" "What, did I fucking stutter?" (I might be ad-libbing a little).
And hey, on that not, one of those men wrote "Man should not lay with man as he would with woman", which is pretty obviously just stating that one should partake in sodomy in such a case.
And now onto the science of why you people are wrong: You believe God makes everything, yes? Well here's a fun question: WHY did he make gay folk?
And since God makes man in his own image, I guess that means he's quite the fabulous divine entity, doesn't it?
A person can not control their own neural biology, and as such can NOT in ANY way control who they are and are not attracted to.
Your religion is stolen from another which was stolen from another, even Jesus wasn't Christian. That's how terrible a group you tend to be.
And on that note: Actually prove anything you're saying. And since you CAN'T prove any of it, feel free to keep your ignorance and bigotry to your own damn self you dense, putrid heap of vaginal discharge.
I agree. The Bible is crap.

Location hidden

#16200 Jan 29, 2013
El Segundo wrote:
Peace
LOL!!!....

Manmanman, posing as his alter ego El Segundo, again attempts to confirm himself.

No. I do not believe that any particular part of the normal spectrum of human sexual orientation is an accident.

Considering the source and motivation of your prayers, Manmanman, I prefer to not accept your misguided blessings. So, thanks anyway, but, no thanks. I will, however, always seek to accept guidance from the Master, Christ Jesus. It follows that if you can manage to request such guidance for me without coloring your requests with your personal animus toward me, you are welcome to make such prayers on my behalf.

As it is, judging by your message above, you are not quite able to do this, yet.

Until then, little brother Manmanman El Segundo Blue Bottle Fly Feckless Twit,... buzz off.

Oh, and "Don't go away mad. Just go away" - Alfred E. Newman

Rev. Ken

Location hidden

#16201 Jan 29, 2013
Reverend Alan wrote:
<quoted text>
From one Rev. to another:

That's funny.

If one is inclined to practice a mantra of "believe nothing," one would have no reason to seek to verify anything.

Obviously, you actually are attempting to believe "nothing." But, equally obvious is your inability to describe just what that "nothing" is.

Rev. Ken

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wedding Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Happily ever after? Charges reduced to one year... 37 min david traversa 1
Gay marriage comes to Missouri. Wait ... what? 2 hr jolya 102
Same-sex unions outdo civil ones - women the le... 4 hr Fa-Foxy 2
Religious freedom bill coming to Indiana 5 hr Fa-Foxy 13
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 5 hr Religionthebiglie 51,304
Pastors opposed to gay marriage swear off all c... 5 hr Rick in Kansas 70
Gay marriage pushes Mennonite church to split 7 hr Trish 17
More from around the web