Homosexuality and the Bible

Homosexuality and the Bible

There are 36047 comments on the www.smh.com.au story from Aug 15, 2011, titled Homosexuality and the Bible. In it, www.smh.com.au reports that:

Given the ongoing debate about same-sex marriage, it is time I looked at the two Testaments to remind myself why belief is so hard for me to embrace.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.smh.com.au.

Robsan5

United States

#15835 Jan 13, 2013
Rhys wrote:
<quoted text>It sounds like you've never read the Bible. Condemnations and prohibitions against all homosexual behavior are found in the plainest of language and in both Testaments. The Book of Acts will also explain to you why it is now OK to eat shrimp.
David, I'll ask again:
Is the bible to be taken word-for-word literally, or are some parts figurative?
It's a simple question, David.

Robert

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#15836 Jan 13, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
No understanding of sexuality? How ignorantly arrogant.
Did you know that while shellfish are only 20% of the fish eaten TODAY, they are the cause of 80% of seafood poisoning? In Biblical times shellfish were considered a aphrodisiac. Except for the Hebrews. Please explain how they knew the danger without 'science and technology'? Especially since you didn't even know.
Your ignorance of the Laws is also exposed by not understanding the types and purposes of the Law.
Please explain how the Jewish culture is the longest surviving culture with the most profound impact today of any culture in history? Just as the Alien predicted on the mountain when He gave the Law.
Snicker.
RevKen wrote:
<quoted text>
Dear Snicker-doodle,
What makes you think that the Jewish culture is the longest surviving culture - under ANY definition?
The Priest-King, Melchizedek, represented a long extant Holy Order, fully recognized as the apex of authority within the tribal culture of Abraham and his fellow city-state kings.
But, there are now known to have been others, much older and ancient.
We are aware of established societies near Azerbaijan with firmly established religious practices dating to the end of the Ice Age, nearly 11,000 years ago.
But, more than that, into antiquity, the tribal cultures of southeast Asia and the Island archipelago of Indonesia all the way to the continent of Australia show sophisticated belief systems beyond 40,000 years ago.
The same goes for the tribal cultures of the French-Spanish escarpment containing the highly decorated caves, dating to 25,000-40,000 years ago. These are the precursors to modern European cultures.
How old are the Greek and Phonecian belief systems? For sure, at least as old as the mythical Atlanteans, the precursors of the sophisticated belief systems that spread into ancient Egypt.
What about the Sumeriasns, recognized for the first system of written language - as presently known - to have existed at least 6,500 years ago, long before the identity of the Jews is known to be recorded.
How about the Tamil Coast of the Indian subcontinent? This may be the granddaddy of them all and the point of origin of the modern Hindu.
You are full of rancid baloney, Mr. Alien-abducted Kimare.
Rev. Ken
A deceitful 'Rev'? On Sunday no less. Shame on you!

Two words, one of which you choose to remove;
-Surviving
-Significance

None of your examples meet those 'definitions'.

Or explain how the Alien Law giver predicted the outcome.

http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/
jsource/Judaism/nobels.html

Perhaps you want to find a culture that supersedes?

Snicker smile.

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

#15838 Jan 13, 2013
RevKen wrote:
<quoted text>
Dear Snicker-doodle,
What makes you think that the Jewish culture is the longest surviving culture - under ANY definition?
The Priest-King, Melchizedek, represented a long extant Holy Order, fully recognized as the apex of authority within the tribal culture of Abraham and his fellow city-state kings.
But, there are now known to have been others, much older and ancient.
We are aware of established societies near Azerbaijan with firmly established religious practices dating to the end of the Ice Age, nearly 11,000 years ago.
But, more than that, into antiquity, the tribal cultures of southeast Asia and the Island archipelago of Indonesia all the way to the continent of Australia show sophisticated belief systems beyond 40,000 years ago.
The same goes for the tribal cultures of the French-Spanish escarpment containing the highly decorated caves, dating to 25,000-40,000 years ago. These are the precursors to modern European cultures.
How old are the Greek and Phonecian belief systems? For sure, at least as old as the mythical Atlanteans, the precursors of the sophisticated belief systems that spread into ancient Egypt.
What about the Sumeriasns, recognized for the first system of written language - as presently known - to have existed at least 6,500 years ago, long before the identity of the Jews is known to be recorded.
How about the Tamil Coast of the Indian subcontinent? This may be the granddaddy of them all and the point of origin of the modern Hindu.
You are full of rancid baloney, Mr. Alien-abducted Kimare.
Rev. Ken
Not for RevKen:

Who is he addressing to here? Snicker-doodle? There are nobody with that name here? Is he wasting his time and energy? Talking to somebody that is not here?

Is he confused or evil?

Lord I pray for him. Amen

Since: Aug 09

Location hidden

#15839 Jan 13, 2013
KiMare wrote:
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you know that while shellfish are only 20% of the fish eaten TODAY, they are the cause of 80% of seafood poisoning? In Biblical times shellfish were considered a aphrodisiac. Except for the Hebrews. Please explain how they knew the danger without 'science and technology'? Especially since you didn't even know.
Your ignorance of the Laws is also exposed by not understanding the types and purposes of the Law.
Please explain how the Jewish culture is the longest surviving culture with the most profound impact today of any culture in history? Just as the Alien predicted on the mountain when He gave the Law.
Snicker.
<quoted text>
-Surviving
-Significance
Snicker smile.
You mean that because the pre-Semitic city-states existed before the Semitic city-states, the descendants of those cultures no longer exist????????

Well,.... that certainly is not true. The Zoroastrians of Pakistan still practice. These are the cultural and genetic descendants of the Fire Religion of the Babylonians - very, very old into prerecorded antiquity, generally regarded as the hingeline between the Paleolithic and Mesolithic.

Don't know much about ancient history and known prehistory, do you?

All you seem to know about is alien abduction.

Sorry to see the Snicker turn into a Pucker.

But, that's what happens with belief systems that have no "Living Water."

He said, "[John 4:7]"

Rev. Ken

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#15840 Jan 13, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Snicker.
<quoted text>
-Surviving
-Significance
Snicker smile.
RevKen wrote:
<quoted text>
You mean that because the pre-Semitic city-states existed before the Semitic city-states, the descendants of those cultures no longer exist????????
Well,.... that certainly is not true. The Zoroastrians of Pakistan still practice. These are the cultural and genetic descendants of the Fire Religion of the Babylonians - very, very old into prerecorded antiquity, generally regarded as the hingeline between the Paleolithic and Mesolithic.
Don't know much about ancient history and known prehistory, do you?
All you seem to know about is alien abduction.
Sorry to see the Snicker turn into a Pucker.
But, that's what happens with belief systems that have no "Living Water."
He said, "[John 4:7]"
Rev. Ken
How many Nobel Prizes did those Zoroastrians win last year?

John 4:11

Snicker smile.

“... truth will out.”

Since: May 08

Stratford, Connecticut.

#15842 Jan 13, 2013
Besixdouze wrote:
<quoted text>
Do these canons hound people to make sure they're not eating bloody rare steaks ...
What is the immorality of eating rare steak, or are you a fanatical vegan?
Robsan5 wrote:
<quoted text>
If the laws are not binding, then what actually "still applies"?
I googled "holiness code of morality" and couldn't get an exact match ...
Try holiness code, Leviticus, and as there is no longer a Jewish temple, only ceremonial law, not moral law, becomes a moot point.
Robsan5

United States

#15843 Jan 13, 2013
Joe DeCaro wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Try holiness code, Leviticus, and as there is no longer a Jewish temple, only ceremonial law, not moral law, becomes a moot point.
New International Version (©1984)
Genesis 9:4
"But you must not eat meat that has its lifeblood still in it."
That sounds like rare steak to me.

I don't understand your 'holiness code' answer. Aren't the Leviticus laws both ceremonial and moral?
If not, then which are which?
You stated that Leviticus no longer applies. Did you mean only the ceremonial laws, but not the moral laws?
Exactly what are the "holiness codes of morality", where can I find them, and how are they different from Leviticus?
And wouldn't many Jews disagree with your statement that "there is no longer a Jewish temple"?
Robert
BOOK OF LIES

Santa Cruz, CA

#15844 Jan 13, 2013
Joe DeCaro wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
So does all of the Law of Moses. Who cares about the Book of Lies?

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#15846 Jan 13, 2013
BOOK OF LIES wrote:
<quoted text>
So does all of the Law of Moses. Who cares about the Book of Lies?
It's all crap. It's a cold night, I'm throwing my Bibles into the fire place where they belong.
Robsan5

United States

#15847 Jan 13, 2013
Robsan5 wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't pay any attention to me, I'm an lDIOT. I'm a queer pedophile and I like it. I molest boys as young as 8years old.
Robert
Alternate universe gay Robert, is it acceptable in your universe to have gay anal sex with little children? Over here, not so much.
Lucky for you that you don't live here.

Roberta (just for your gay anal sex fantasies, NoIQ!)

“... truth will out.”

Since: May 08

Stratford, Connecticut.

#15849 Jan 14, 2013
Robsan5 wrote:
I don't understand your 'holiness code' answer. Aren't the Leviticus laws both ceremonial and moral?
If not, then which are which?...
Ask a rabbi, but you seem to have problems understanding anyone: I already posted that the Levitical ceremonial laws, NOT Leviticus, are meaningless without a Jewish temple.
gazza

Leeds, UK

#15850 Jan 14, 2013
Rhys wrote:
<quoted text>It sounds like you've never read the Bible. Condemnations and prohibitions against all homosexual behavior are found in the plainest of language and in both Testaments. The Book of Acts will also explain to you why it is now OK to eat shrimp.
how small minded is that U weren't alive back then and evidence shows races were far cleverer and more advanced than they would have us believe

Location hidden

#15851 Jan 14, 2013
Not for RevKen:

RevKen doesn't follow the rules for discussion that I like; Respect and so on, and then I just drop to discuss with him.
gazza

Leeds, UK

#15852 Jan 14, 2013
I don't get why gays want to have their cake and eat it so much if ur gay and got a bf then that's ur own business whoopy doo for you but why push for marriage and Gods blessing when clearly paul says its wrong

Since: Aug 09

Location hidden

#15853 Jan 14, 2013
KiMare wrote:
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Snicker.
<quoted text>
-Surviving
-Significance
Snicker smile.
<quoted text>
How many Nobel Prizes did those Zoroastrians win last year?
John 4:11
Snicker smile.
Here is a list of Nobel Prize winners.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nobel_la...

Draw your own conclusions.

Your fingers type out "Snicker smile." But, your brain telegraphs ignorance and alien abduction.

Rev. Ken
Robsan5

United States

#15854 Jan 14, 2013
gazza wrote:
I don't get why gays want to have their cake and eat it so much if ur gay and got a bf then that's ur own business whoopy doo for you but why push for marriage and Gods blessing when clearly paul says its wrong
Because:
1. Saul is not god;
2. Marriage is a civil institution, and people, not god, make civil laws.

Robert

“The Kingdom of God Begins NOW!”

Since: May 07

The Mountain Empire

#15855 Jan 14, 2013
Manmanman wrote:
<quoted text>
There is no jewish gene because everybody can convert to judaism.

DNA links prove Jews are a ‘race,' says genetics expert

http://www.haaretz.com/jewish-world/jewish-wo...

Genetic studies on Jews

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genetic_studies_...

Jews and Their DNA

http://www.commentarymagazine.com/article/jew...

Who is a Jew? DNA can hold the key

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/7346496/Vi...

If you'd like more I can give you more complex studies....

“The Kingdom of God Begins NOW!”

Since: May 07

The Mountain Empire

#15856 Jan 14, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
You apparently were one of the Jews afraid of 'sunburn'.
Snicker.
Living in Arizona - no.

Idiot.....

Location hidden

#15858 Jan 14, 2013
MiddleWay wrote:
<quoted text>
DNA links prove Jews are a ‘race,' says genetics expert
http://www.haaretz.com/jewish-world/jewish-wo...
Genetic studies on Jews
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genetic_studies_...
Jews and Their DNA
http://www.commentarymagazine.com/article/jew...
Who is a Jew? DNA can hold the key
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/7346496/Vi...
If you'd like more I can give you more complex studies....
Everybody can convert to judaism as far as I know. How can it then be genetic?
Robsan5

Denver, CO

#15860 Jan 14, 2013
Todd wrote:
<quoted text>If you've ever seen a large group of Israelis traveling, they represent about every race on the earth. Some look Arabic, some had ancestors in the Baltic Countries, some look Spanish, and even some lived in China.
Remember, the person you replied to, like most homofascists, is a racist and also not the sharpest knife in the drawer.
Come on, David, it's a simple question:
Is the bible to be taken word-for-word literally, or are some parts figurative?

Robert

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wedding Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The Orchard seeks withdrawal from UMC 1 hr South Knox Hombre 15
News What would Jesus say about same-sex marriage? (Jul '15) 8 hr barry 5,274
News Washington court rules against florist in gay w... 8 hr Eagle 12 50
News 'Are you prepared to have kids who aren't white?' 10 hr slumdog indians 13
News Suffolk bishop says rejection of controversial ... Sun Rainbow Kid 1
News Muslim cleric tells Australians: 'Husbands shou... (Jan '09) Sat Prophet Muhammad 63
News a Indiana Jonesa star talks about Carson McCull... Sat General Zod 2
More from around the web