Homosexuality and the Bible

Homosexuality and the Bible

There are 33895 comments on the www.smh.com.au story from Aug 15, 2011, titled Homosexuality and the Bible. In it, www.smh.com.au reports that:

Given the ongoing debate about same-sex marriage, it is time I looked at the two Testaments to remind myself why belief is so hard for me to embrace.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.smh.com.au.

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#15802 Jan 11, 2013
Robsan5 wrote:
<quoted text>
Just like "the sun is a form of radiation" mistake?
You're funny. Bottomlessly stupid, but funny.
Robert
What's funny is that you respond to a article you can't answer by not responding to a question you can't answer.

Snicker.
Robsan5

Denver, CO

#15803 Jan 11, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
What's funny is that you respond to a article you can't answer by not responding to a question you can't answer.
Snicker.
I can only dream of being as funny as you.
"A sunburn is a form of radiation."
"The sun is a form of radiation."
That is funny shit!

You are funny. Sadly stupid, but funny.

Robert

Location hidden

#15804 Jan 11, 2013
Robsan5 wrote:
<quoted text>
That is funny shit!
Robert
Snicker.
Robsan5

Denver, CO

#15805 Jan 11, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Snicker.
"Snicker" is right.
Snort.
You are funny. Endlessly stupid, but funny.

Robert

“Trolls are Clueless”

Since: Dec 07

Aptos, California

#15808 Jan 11, 2013
We have had plenty of juvenile repartee. Now we need David posting his six stupid Bible Verses to complete the cycle.

David?

We are waiting.
Mister Ford

Santa Cruz, CA

#15809 Jan 11, 2013
LuLu Ford wrote:
We have had plenty of juvenile repartee. Now we need David posting his six stupid Bible Verses to complete the cycle.
David?
We are waiting.
Hi Lulu.:)
Robsan5

Denver, CO

#15810 Jan 11, 2013
LuLu Ford wrote:
David?
We are waiting.
Touché!
Although I would like to know if David thinks the bible should be taken 'word for word' literally, or If some parts can be read as figurative.

Robert

Since: Apr 12

Location hidden

#15811 Jan 12, 2013
Robsan5 wrote:
<quoted text>
Poor little monkey. You have no willpower to fight against "your" OCD/ADHD. How sad.
Roberta/Robsana (just keep clapping those cymbals together, little monkey boy!)
You think it is sad. How can you handle your sadness?

Location hidden

#15812 Jan 12, 2013
Not for RevKen:

Okay guys, RevKen seems to struggle quite hard in here with control-issues; How to handle that?

I pray for RevKen, I lay him in Your Hands Lord Jesus. Amen

Location hidden

#15814 Jan 12, 2013
Not for RevKen:

RevKen might struggle quite hard with control-issues. That might stem from inner insecurity? Lack of self-acceptance?

Lord Yeshua, I pray for him. I lay him in Your hands. Amen.

“The Kingdom of God Begins NOW!”

Since: May 07

The Mountain Empire

#15816 Jan 13, 2013
Robsan5 wrote:
<quoted text>
That is funny shit!
Robert
I'll have to check my Jewish DNA again to see if we have a special 'radiation enhancing' gene.....

Location hidden

#15817 Jan 13, 2013
MiddleWay wrote:
<quoted text>
I'll have to check my Jewish DNA again to see if we have a special 'radiation enhancing' gene.....
There is no jewish gene because everybody can convert to judaism.

Location hidden

#15818 Jan 13, 2013
MiddleWay wrote:
<quoted text>
You apparently were one of the Jews afraid of 'sunburn'.

Snicker.
Besixdouze

Neosho, MO

#15819 Jan 13, 2013
Joe DeCaro wrote:
<quoted text>
... and then you decided to cite biblical passages that were all from the Old Testament?
<quoted text>
What we today call homosexuality IS condemned from Leviticus 18 to Romans 1 and beyond.
And if idolatry is the only sin, homosexuality is the sin of self-worship: narcissism.
There was no understanding of human sexuality as an orientation during the times in which the Bible was written, nor were there understandings about a great many things we know to be true today thanks to science and technology. If you're going to pull out Leviticus to condemn homosexuality, you may as well use it to condemn those who eat shrimp or wear clothes woven of more than one fabric. It never fails to intrigue me how so many "Christians" will dive into the Bible, ignoring other verses, caring nothing for context, only to cherry pick a verse to condemn gay people. I once saw a thug on the news who had Leviticus's prohibition against men as "the lyings of a woman" (Hebrew translation) tattooed on his arm. If he'd only bothered to read further, he might find it pertinent to learn that Leviticus also condemns tattoos and piercings.

At the heart of this issue is that Jesus constantly challenged Pharisees for their legalism because they had thrown love out the window. Jesus's teaches us that love supercedes law and constantly turned cultural expectations on their heads. Anti-gay "Christians" to me look more like the Pharisees than Jesus. As long as we cast our gay and lesbian brothers and sisters to the margins, the more they will lie prone to discrimination, hatred and violence. And that blood is on our hands if we're complicit in it. Years from now, we'll be looking back on this issue in the same way we looked on previous issues of equality. We will wonder how we ever drew such hateful biblical interpretations, just as we scorn interpretations of the Bible people once fully embraced that justified women's disenfranchisement, slavery, segregation, miscegenation and the slaughtering of natives.

Exclusion and embrace. That is the Christian story. I hope we as Christians can prophetically put and end to exclusion and facilitate the embrace.

I'm shocked by the flagrant hatred coming out of fellow Christians and that they do not hesitate to speak from ignorance. The following organizations agree that there is *no* evidence to suggest that one's sexuality can be changed, but a great deal to suggest that any attempts to do so (i.e. "praying away the gay") will not only be fruitless but seriously psychologically damaging: American Medical Association, American Psychiatric Association, the American Psychological Association, the American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy, the American Counseling Association, the National Association of Social Workers, the American Academy of Pediatrics, the National Association of School Psychologists, and the American Academy of Physician Assistants. And for those who say, "Let's condemn gay and lesbian people to a life of celibacy," recall that a) celibacy is a special calling b) in the book of Genesis the only thing God deems "not good" is for a human being to be alone.

“... truth will out.”

Since: May 08

Stratford, Connecticut.

#15820 Jan 13, 2013
Besixdouze wrote:
<quoted text>
There was no understanding of human sexuality as an orientation during the times in which the Bible was written, nor were there understandings about a great many things we know to be true today thanks to science and technology. If you're going to pull out Leviticus to condemn homosexuality, you may as well use it to condemn those who eat shrimp or wear clothes woven of more than one fabric ...
Even the Episcopal church canons agree that though the ceremonial laws of Leviticus are not binding upon today's Christians, its Holiness Code of morality still applies.
Besixdouze

Neosho, MO

#15821 Jan 13, 2013
Joe DeCaro wrote:
<quoted text>
Even the Episcopal church canons agree that though the ceremonial laws of Leviticus are not binding upon today's Christians, its Holiness Code of morality still applies.
Do these canons hound people to make sure they're not eating bloody rare steaks (Lev. 13, 19)? How shall we sacrifice a fellowship offering to the Lord in the year 2013 (Lev. 19)? Do people protest farmers who plant two different crops side by side as virulently as they do gay marriage (Lev. 19)?

All these and more are considered part of the Holiness Code, which tattoos and piercings fall under--Leviticus 17-26.
Robsan5

Oklahoma City, OK

#15822 Jan 13, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Snicker.
He could be right, Middle! You better ask the alien to turn his back or at least hold out his hand. Those are both well-known ways to avoid radiation exposure.
KickMe, you're funny. So stupid, but funny.

Robert
Robsan5

Oklahoma City, OK

#15824 Jan 13, 2013
Joe DeCaro wrote:
<quoted text>
If the laws are not binding, then what actually "still applies"?
I googled "holiness code of morality" and couldn't get an exact match.

Robert

Location hidden

#15825 Jan 13, 2013
Besixdouze wrote:
<quoted text>
There was no understanding of human sexuality as an orientation during the times in which the Bible was written, nor were there understandings about a great many things we know to be true today thanks to science and technology. If you're going to pull out Leviticus to condemn homosexuality, you may as well use it to condemn those who eat shrimp or wear clothes woven of more than one fabric. It never fails to intrigue me how so many "Christians" will dive into the Bible, ignoring other verses, caring nothing for context, only to cherry pick a verse to condemn gay people. I once saw a thug on the news who had Leviticus's prohibition against men as "the lyings of a woman" (Hebrew translation) tattooed on his arm. If he'd only bothered to read further, he might find it pertinent to learn that Leviticus also condemns tattoos and piercings.
At the heart of this issue is that Jesus constantly challenged Pharisees for their legalism because they had thrown love out the window. Jesus's teaches us that love supercedes law and constantly turned cultural expectations on their heads. Anti-gay "Christians" to me look more like the Pharisees than Jesus. As long as we cast our gay and lesbian brothers and sisters to the margins, the more they will lie prone to discrimination, hatred and violence. And that blood is on our hands if we're complicit in it. Years from now, we'll be looking back on this issue in the same way we looked on previous issues of equality. We will wonder how we ever drew such hateful biblical interpretations, just as we scorn interpretations of the Bible people once fully embraced that justified women's disenfranchisement, slavery, segregation, miscegenation and the slaughtering of natives.
Exclusion and embrace. That is the Christian story. I hope we as Christians can prophetically put and end to exclusion and facilitate the embrace.
I'm shocked by the flagrant hatred coming out of fellow Christians and that they do not hesitate to speak from ignorance. The following organizations agree that there is *no* evidence to suggest that one's sexuality can be changed, but a great deal to suggest that any attempts to do so (i.e. "praying away the gay") will not only be fruitless but seriously psychologically damaging: American Medical Association, American Psychiatric Association, the American Psychological Association, the American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy, the American Counseling Association, the National Association of Social Workers, the American Academy of Pediatrics, the National Association of School Psychologists, and the American Academy of Physician Assistants. And for those who say, "Let's condemn gay and lesbian people to a life of celibacy," recall that a) celibacy is a special calling b) in the book of Genesis the only thing God deems "not good" is for a human being to be alone.
No understanding of sexuality? How ignorantly arrogant.

Did you know that while shellfish are only 20% of the fish eaten TODAY, they are the cause of 80% of seafood poisoning? In Biblical times shellfish were considered a aphrodisiac. Except for the Hebrews. Please explain how they knew the danger without 'science and technology'? Especially since you didn't even know.

Your ignorance of the Laws is also exposed by not understanding the types and purposes of the Law.

Please explain how the Jewish culture is the longest surviving culture with the most profound impact today of any culture in history? Just as the Alien predicted on the mountain when He gave the Law.

Snicker.

Location hidden

#15826 Jan 13, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Snicker.
Robsan5 wrote:
<quoted text>
He could be right, Middle! You better ask the alien to turn his back or at least hold out his hand. Those are both well-known ways to avoid radiation exposure.
KickMe, you're funny. So stupid, but funny.
Robert
Mocking an ancient unenlightened description of radiation protection doesn't address the implication. It just shows you are childishly afraid of the answer.

Snicker.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wedding Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Religious liberty is rallying cry after gay mar... 4 min NorCal Native 95
News Governors vow to fight SCOTUS ruling on gay mar... 5 min Daringer 536
News Maine hopefuls split on gay unions (Sep '10) 8 min NorCal Native 152
News Episcopalians OK allowing gay marriage in churches 20 min Rainbow Kid 9
News Husband plans second wedding for wife who lost ... 34 min joe 58
News 'You can't have marriage equality without polyg... 39 min Reverend Alan 24
News Conservative Republicans question what's next a... 1 hr American_Infidel 136
More from around the web