Homosexuality and the Bible

Aug 15, 2011 Full story: www.smh.com.au 29,748

Given the ongoing debate about same-sex marriage, it is time I looked at the two Testaments to remind myself why belief is so hard for me to embrace.

Full Story

“THERE IS NO GOD”

Since: Feb 09

Northern California

#23807 Jan 1, 2014
well wrote:
<quoted text>
Damn, I was hoping for your "English is not my first language" excuse, that was amusing.
Another of the long string of lies from the pastor...
The reason KiMare lies is because he is filled with the spirit of the Holy Spook who guides him in what are the best lies to tell. Con-artists are not used to their pew warmers questioning them, so when he waltzes in here to harass gay people and their friends he is shocked to find that no one listens to his nonsense with out questioning it. Normal people should question him because he insists the Bible can be trusted and is reliable. Nothing could be farther from the truth. Would you trust a book with the following errors to tell you about homosexuality?

1 SAM. 13:1

("Saul was .?. years old when he began to reign"--RSV, NAB, NWT, MT)
versus
("50 years old"--NEB)
versus
("40 years old"--ASV, NAS)
versus
("30 years old"--NIV).

Again, 1 SAM. 13:1

("...and for 2 years he reigned over Israel"--NWT, MT, NAB)
versus
("and he reigned over Israel for 22 years" --NEB)
versus
("he reigned 32 years"--NAS)
versus
("he reigned over Israel 42 years"--NIV)
versus
("one or two years"--LV).

KJ = King James Version, RS = Revised Standard Version, ML = Modern Language, AS = American Standard Version, NEB = New English Bible, NAB = New American Bible, NI = New International Version, NAS = New American Standard, TEV = Today's English Version, BBE = Bible in Basic English, NWT = New World Translation, JB = Jerusalem Bible, LV = Lamsa's Version, MT = Masoretic Text, LB = Living Bible].

“THERE IS NO GOD”

Northern California

#23808 Jan 1, 2014
snyper wrote:
Anybody else notice that he's STILL not credibly answered ANY of our questions?
Absolutely!

Can you believe that he trusts a book with the following contradiction to tell him about homosexuality?

John 1:18 "No man hath seen God at any time;..."
Exodus 33:20, And he said, Thou canst not see my face: for there shall no man see me, and live.
John 6:46 "Not that any man hath seen the Father, save he which is of God, he hath seen the Father."
1 John 4:12 "No man hath seen God at any time. If we love one another, God dwelleth in us, and his love is perfected in us."

Versus

Gen. 32:30 "And Jacob called the name of the place Peniel: for I have seen God face to face, and my life is preserved."
Exod. 33:11 "And the LORD spake unto Moses face to face, as a man speaketh unto his friend."
Num. 14:14 "...that thou LORD art seen face to face,..."
Job 42:5 "I have heard of thee by the hearing of the ear: but now mine eye seeth thee."
Deut. 34:10 "And there arose not a prophet since in Israel like unto Moses, whom the LORD knew face to face,..."
Deut. 5:4 "The LORD talked with you face to face...."

Clearly we can not turn to our Bible for a reliable and believable answer to anything. KiMare is part of the worlds largest hoax: that the Bible is the word of a perfect and all knowing being.

How can anyone take a word out of his mouth seriously, especially when what comes out of his mouth is no different than what comes out of his azz. I can't tell any difference, can you?

“THERE IS NO GOD”

Northern California

#23810 Jan 1, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't know what I believe.
Sure we do, you have told us enough times. You believe anal sex is not much fun. But you also believe, although I can't imagine how any one could believe this that::

The bat is a bird (Lev. 11:19, Deut. 14:11, 18);
Some fowls are four-footed (Lev. 11:20-21);
Some creeping insects have four legs.(Lev. 11:22-23);
Hares chew the cud (Lev. 11:6);
Conies chew the cud (Lev. 11:5);
Camels don't divide the hoof (Lev. 11:4);
The earth was formed out of and by means of water (2 Peter 3:5 RSV);
The earth rest on pillars (1 Sam. 2:8);
The earth won't be moved (1Chron. 16:30);
A hare does not divide the hoof (Deut. 14:7);
The rainbow is not as old as rain and sunshine (Gen. 9:13);
A mustard seed is the smallest of all seeds and grows into the greatest of all shrubs (Matt. 13:31-32 RSV);
Turtles have voices (Song of Sol. 2:12);
The earth has ends or edges (Job 37:3);
The earth has four corners (Isa. 11:12, Rev. 7:1);
Some 4-legged animals fly (Lev. 11:21);
The world's language didn't evolve but appeared suddenly (Gen. 11:6-9; and
A fetus can understand speech (Luke 1:44).

You also believe you can drink a quart of Drano and it won't hurt you:

Mark16:17-18 says: "And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils;.... They shall take up serpents and if they drink any deadly thing it shall not hurt them."

Not many believing Christians like KiMare are willing to drink poisons or handle rattlesnakes to prove the Bible's accuracy, although some have tried. Many individuals have died because they put their trust in the Bible.

We also know you never go to doctors or a hospital: "And the prayer of faith shall save the sick," James 5:13-15.

We know a lot about you KiMare. Mostly that you are not a very nice person. And a moron for insisting the Bible can be trusted.

“THERE IS NO GOD”

Northern California

#23811 Jan 1, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh snyper, you know that is an exaggeration. You just don't like the answers I've given, and the questions I don't aren't really questions anyway.
Here's a question for the new year just for you;
Why does a butch lesbian dress and act like a man to attract another lesbian???
Smile.
When you are asked what is your favorite color and you answer plaid how can anyone take you seriously?

Your question about Lesbians assumes facts not in evidence KiMare. Butch Lesbians do not dress and act like a man for the purpose of attracting another lesbian. I just love it when you show us all how completely divorced from reality and ignorant you are, it just makes my heart warm watching you make a fool of yourself.

Why do you dress like a drag queen when you tell your simple minded pew warming bigots about how much God hates people who think, use reason and logic, and try to be considerate of other people's lifestyles?

“THERE IS NO GOD”

Northern California

#23812 Jan 1, 2014
garriesmick wrote:
youtube.com/watch?v=D3GeZMH0bH g …The Word Homosexual didnt exist in the Bible and the English wasnt know to the Bible the Bible is a lie
The Bible is full of lies, but it is necessary to do more than just make an assertion, one needs to post the lies, you know, chapter and verse. Let me help.

Any book claiming a woman turned into a pillar of salt (Gen. 19:26), the sun went backward 10 degrees on the sundial (2 Kings 20:11), and quails came from the sea (Num. 11:31) is going to have great difficulty demonstrating its scientific precision to any reasonably scientific mind.

It is a lie that the sun went backwards in the sky. There are so many things wrong with that biblical assertion one hardly knows where to begin attacking it.
well

Round Lake, IL

#23813 Jan 1, 2014
KiMare wrote:
Well, happy new year to you too!
I'm guessing you'll still be blonde and bitchy this year too?
Smirk.
...and you will still be a liar!

Since: Jun 13

Anchorage, AK

#23814 Jan 1, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
All I have done is simply point out how your documentation utterly fails to explain a passage that is easily understood as translated.
And interestingly, you only quote documentation that matches your belief system (or lack thereof). A belief system that is an old wine skin dying minority.
You just want me to take a back seat so you won't be all alone.
Smile.
You sound like Sara Palin and conveniently put down political correctness unless it suits her Christian Right's poor me political stand.

Do you honestly think that I would post documentation from the Right?

LOL!

I posted before that Biblicism is as old as Scholasticism and Mysticism in Christian Thought.

I post from a commentary that is Catholic. I quote from various Evangelical think tanks. I post from many biblical and theological scholars. I've posted from Huffington Post regarding many new voices stating the same thing I've been against for 40 years. I look for scholarship that I cannot dispute. And yes, I scoured Biblicist's scholarship early in those 40 years.

I know what you say even though you do not say it. If I got that wrong blame yourself for not being honest about your belief.

By the way, I was raised Catholic. Left the Church with II Vatican Council because I could not accept change. Met a wonderful young lady that asked me, a Catholic, questions about God. I could not answer those questions because the Church never taught anything about God, just about doctrine, angels and saints. I married that young, beautiful lady and I'm still with her. She was Lutheran and I learned Lutheranism better than most Lutherans. I had a few good mentors and they pointed me in the right direction. Little did they know that I would come to reject Luteranism too. Maybe the greatest thing I learned was, change. That ideology was a huge understanding. What I document now is Lutheran and Catholic exegesis and theology.

Interestingly, members of Catholic and denominational faiths never understand but what they want to understand. They go to Church like a good Christian and they never or, very seldom make any effort to understand why they believe as they do. Catholic faith is unconditional because Catholics don't know how to think for themselves. They accept only what they are told by the Vatican. Lutherans are conditional to their needs. Like accepting an old wives tale.

What I document for those that read my responses to your posts is the true meaning of the words in a passage. At least as scholastically true as history allows us to be aware of truths. No truth is absolute accept one. That truth in my mind is that there is a God and I will never know that God as long as I live in God's creation. And of course, I talked about this at length already.

What you should do is document your disagreement. Honestly, KiMare, all you can do is make derogatory remarks. Childish, immature and uneducated, incomprehensible gibberish.

Anchorage, AK

#23815 Jan 1, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh snyper, you know that is an exaggeration. You just don't like the answers I've given, and the questions I don't aren't really questions anyway.
Here's a question for the new year just for you;
Why does a butch lesbian dress and act like a man to attract another lesbian???
Smile.
No exaggeration KiMare.

You see, once again, you stoop to that immature level of a child to divert attention away from your lack of an honest attempt to document your opinions.

A joke at the expense of some one else.

Anchorage, AK

#23816 Jan 1, 2014
Reverend Alan wrote:
<quoted text>
Malachi 1:2-3,“I have loved you,’” says the LORD. But you ask,'How have you loved us?'‘Was not Esau Jacob's brother?’ the LORD says.‘Yet I have loved Jacob, but Esau I have hated, and I have turned his mountains into a wasteland and left his inheritance to the desert jackals.”
Malachi 1:3 is quoted in Romans 9:10-13,“Not only that, but Rebekah's children had one and the same father, our father Isaac. Yet, before the twins were born or had done anything good or bad—in order that God's purpose in election might stand: not by works but by him who calls—she was told,‘The older will serve the younger.’ Just as it is written:‘Jacob I loved, but Esau I hated.'”
My understanding is that God does not influence mankind in any way whatsoever because God's creation in our minds is perfect. How can a perfect God change what God created, perfect and as was intended? For a God to hate goes against man's perception of a loving God. And then there is an understanding that God is not so much a loving God as God is a suffering God. What a mixed bag of thoughts. Man really does not know God after all. Biblical stories, interpretations and all are man's perception. My point is as useless as anybodies. I'd have to write a book to fully explain God's love and hate relationship with mankind.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#23817 Jan 1, 2014
akopen wrote:
<quoted text>
You sound like Sara Palin and conveniently put down political correctness unless it suits her Christian Right's poor me political stand.
LOL!
I posted before that Biblicism is as old as Scholasticism and Mysticism in Christian Thought.
I post from a commentary that is Catholic. I quote from various Evangelical think tanks. I post from many biblical and theological scholars. I've posted from Huffington Post regarding many new voices stating the same thing I've been against for 40 years. I look for scholarship that I cannot dispute. And yes, I scoured Biblicist's scholarship early in those 40 years.
I know what you say even though you do not say it. If I got that wrong blame yourself for not being honest about your belief.
By the way, I was raised Catholic. Left the Church with II Vatican Council because I could not accept change. Met a wonderful young lady that asked me, a Catholic, questions about God. I could not answer those questions because the Church never taught anything about God, just about doctrine, angels and saints. I married that young, beautiful lady and I'm still with her. She was Lutheran and I learned Lutheranism better than most Lutherans. I had a few good mentors and they pointed me in the right direction. Little did they know that I would come to reject Luteranism too. Maybe the greatest thing I learned was, change. That ideology was a huge understanding. What I document now is Lutheran and Catholic exegesis and theology.
Interestingly, members of Catholic and denominational faiths never understand but what they want to understand. They go to Church like a good Christian and they never or, very seldom make any effort to understand why they believe as they do. Catholic faith is unconditional because Catholics don't know how to think for themselves. They accept only what they are told by the Vatican. Lutherans are conditional to their needs. Like accepting an old wives tale.
What I document for those that read my responses to your posts is the true meaning of the words in a passage. At least as scholastically true as history allows us to be aware of truths. No truth is absolute accept one. That truth in my mind is that there is a God and I will never know that God as long as I live in God's creation. And of course, I talked about this at length already.
What you should do is document your disagreement. Honestly, KiMare, all you can do is make derogatory remarks. Childish, immature and uneducated, incomprehensible gibberish.
Biblicism is as old as the PHARISEES. Combined with traditionalism, it is their defining characteristic.

Location hidden

#23818 Jan 1, 2014
akopen wrote:
<quoted text> ... That truth in my mind is that there is a God and I will never know that God as long as I live in God's creation ...
How Platonic of you.

<hugs>

Location hidden

#23819 Jan 1, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text> ... Why does a butch lesbian dress and act like a man to attract another lesbian???...
What makes you think you know their motives for dressing a certain way?

Have you asked them?

Some don't dress to "attract" but to make a statement.

Some don't dress to "attract" but for functionality.

Some people don't dress to "attract" but for the situation.

Some people don't dress to "attract" but for the occasion.

Some don't dress to "attract" but because they like how it looks ... or feels ... or the price ... or the durability ... or ... or ...

http://www.store.economist.com/Images/ECO/CMS...

Location hidden

#23820 Jan 1, 2014
Happy Hangover Day Everyone !!

(Remember to take your B-complex supplements and drink lots of water)

Anchorage, AK

#23821 Jan 1, 2014
Reverend Alan wrote:
<quoted text>
870 million people are hungry. Every year, 1.5 million people die from hunger, including 16,000 children. That's one child every five seconds. Every day, 20,864 people die from hunger related causes. There were 1.4 billion people in extreme poverty in 2005.
Sure seems like God hates people.
30,000 kids died unnecessarily today and it didn’t even make the front page of your newspaper. Another 30,000 kids will die tomorrow, and the day after that, and the day after that UNLESS something changes. This shocking information – which should stop anyone with a heart and soul in their tracks – comes not from some science fiction movie but from the United Nations website where you can see if for yourself:“Eleven million children a year – 30,000 a day – die from preventable or treatable causes”
GOD: "I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the Lord do all these things" (Isa. 45:7).
Why does God create evil if he doesn't hate? Isn't it evil that human beings are such as they are that the rich live in mansions while the poor die from God created disease and children live in poverty?
How can you believe there is such a thing as this God of the Bible?
"...shall there be evil in a city, and the Lord hath not done it?"
(Amos 3:6).
Rev. Alan, you speak of two different things, evil and chaos. "Evil is no giant staggering through the wold a his own whim; somehow it accomplishes God's will for purifying and disciplining his chose ones (Am 3:6; Is 10:5-20; Jgs 2:6-3:6). JBC[22:25:6-7].

Douglas John Hall, in his book, God and Human Suffering, has this to say about evil.

"A diety personally and directly responsible for all the agony of earth, would be unrecognizable as God from the perspective of biblical faith." (p. 74.)

"We have affirmed that suffering-as-struggle belongs, according to the tradition of Jerusalem, to life's foundational basis and goodness. It is a significant dimension of the becoming that is implicit in the creaturely being of all that is, especially of the human creature." (p.62,63.)

In our temporal world, we have always strived for that "Golden Age" (Hall, p.54) where a utopia exists. The Garden of Eden, a biblical mythology, is far from a utopia. Eden had its own suffering as presented in the story of the Fall: loneliness; limitations; temptation and; anxiety. What we have in God's creation is a temporal existence that in itself an estrangement from God's perfect being, existence. As the Fall goes, that in itself is a window to which sin enters. It is a window that allows for suffering. Our sun could destroy earth in an instant and yet it gives life. The universe is a chaotic existence and it is God's creation. A window exists for life and for death. From dust we come and to dust we return. It is that life that matters in our existence. We can make matters worse or we can make them better. This then is man's ability to renew, as in the "New Being," in Jesus as the Christ.(Tillich.)" Our spirit(Gen 1:27) then, is man's effort to make things better or worse. We speak of the doctrine of "Free Will."

All is man's perception of what we do not understand.

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#23822 Jan 1, 2014
snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
What makes you think you know their motives for dressing a certain way?
Have you asked them?
Some don't dress to "attract" but to make a statement.
Some don't dress to "attract" but for functionality.
Some people don't dress to "attract" but for the situation.
Some people don't dress to "attract" but for the occasion.
Some don't dress to "attract" but because they like how it looks ... or feels ... or the price ... or the durability ... or ... or ...
http://www.store.economist.com/Images/ECO/CMS...
Because I have asked them. And because I understand the dynamics of mating behavior.

You clearly have not. And your answers make as much sense as your explanations of Bible passages. In fact, by your explanation, lesbianism is a choice.

Location hidden

#23823 Jan 1, 2014
akopen wrote:
<quoted text>
No exaggeration KiMare.
You see, once again, you stoop to that immature level of a child to divert attention away from your lack of an honest attempt to document your opinions.
A joke at the expense of some one else.
You think that question is a joke? What is twisted or untrue about it? I simply stated a factual observation.

Are you insinuating that butch lesbians are ashamed of their identity?

Smile.

Location hidden

#23824 Jan 1, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
All I have done is simply point out how your documentation utterly fails to explain a passage that is easily understood as translated.
And interestingly, you only quote documentation that matches your belief system (or lack thereof). A belief system that is an old wine skin dying minority.
Smile.
akopen wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL!
Wow, you throw a viciously maligned woman into the fray and shift to politics??? Hateful, chauvinistic, twisted and troll all rolled up into one.

Nothing of your history of apostatizing addresses your failure to connect your documentation to a coherent meaning of a passage.

Nothing derogatory, just simple common sense. The derogatory remarks are clearly all yours.

Smile.

Anchorage, AK

#23825 Jan 1, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
You think that question is a joke? What is twisted or untrue about it? I simply stated a factual observation.
Are you insinuating that butch lesbians are ashamed of their identity?
Smile.
I insinuated one thing, that you were immature. You only state you opinion.

Anchorage, AK

#23826 Jan 1, 2014
KiMare wrote:
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Smile.
<quoted text>
Wow, you throw a viciously maligned woman into the fray and shift to politics??? Hateful, chauvinistic, twisted and troll all rolled up into one.
Nothing of your history of apostatizing addresses your failure to connect your documentation to a coherent meaning of a passage.
Nothing derogatory, just simple common sense. The derogatory remarks are clearly all yours.
Smile.
2 Peter, chapter 2
False Teachers.*
1There were also false prophets among the people, just as there will be false teachers among you, who will introduce destructive heresies and even deny the Master who ransomed them, bringing swift destruction on themselves.a
*[2:1–3] The pattern of false prophets among the Old Testament people of God will recur through false teachers in the church. Such destructive opinions of heretical sects bring loss of faith in Christ, contempt for the way of salvation (cf. 2 Pt 2:21), and immorality.

a.[2:1] Mt 24:11, 24; 1 Tm 4:1; Jude 4.

MATTHEW
Chapter 7
False Prophets.* 15“Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep’s clothing, but underneath are ravenous wolves.k 16l By their fruits you will know them. Do people pick grapes from thornbushes, or figs from thistles?

*[7:15–20] Christian disciples who claimed to speak in the name of God are called prophets (Mt 7:15) in Mt 10:41; Mt 23:34. They were presumably an important group within the church of Matthew. As in the case of the Old Testament prophets, there were both true and false ones, and for Matthew the difference could be recognized by the quality of their deeds, the fruits (Mt 7:16). The mention of fruits leads to the comparison with trees, some producing good fruit, others bad.

k.[7:15] 2 Pt 2:1.
l.[7:16–17] 12:33; Lk 6:43–44.

“16. by their fruits: The true test of prophets or disciples is their life. The comparison of trees and fruits is painfully elaborated. Luke felt the necessity of explaining the comparison (6:45), with the addition of a phrase that makes speech the principal fruit; this is not the real meaning of the original comparison, which refers to deeds. See the recital in Mt 23. JBC[43:84].

Paraphrased: By their [spoken word] you will know them. Or, By their [deeds] you will know them.

If I remember right, you related fruits to procreation.

Now, presented here is the documentation and a paraphrase of the passage. The passage is about those inside the Church, their revelations; the passage is about prophets or disciples lives.

I believe that I stated that this passage fits you perfectly. I mean to say that you resemble bad fruit in Christianity. You know that is because you impart opinion not documentation. Can't have a discourse with your opinion. If that means I am being deragatory, so be it. I do not stand still for Biblicist's profaning the Word of God and influencing politics. It also means that you are being asinine.

Location hidden

#23827 Jan 1, 2014
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Because I have asked them. And because I understand the dynamics of mating behavior.
You clearly have not. And your answers make as much sense as your explanations of Bible passages. In fact, by your explanation, lesbianism is a choice.
Like you "ask" question on these threads ?!?

And what have they answered?

Dressing is a choice.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wedding Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Why I'll be voting 'No' to same-sex marriage, e... 7 min Brian_G 1,062
Stalker case leads to lawsuit against St. Bruno... (Feb '13) 1 hr tellinitlikeitis 1,315
Is Jeb Bush 'evolving' on same-sex marriage and... 4 hr In Obama Gays Trust 22
Gay wedding cakes range launched 6 hr L Craig s Hush Pu... 8
NY Couple's Combined Age: 212 6 hr L Craig s Hush Pu... 4
Next 25 Articles 6 hr Ultimate Silly 1
LaToya Jackson reveals she's no longer engaged ... 8 hr goodvibrations 1
More from around the web