Homosexuality and the Bible

Aug 15, 2011 Full story: www.smh.com.au 25,315

Given the ongoing debate about same-sex marriage, it is time I looked at the two Testaments to remind myself why belief is so hard for me to embrace.

Full Story
First Prev
of 1266
Next Last

“Plays well with others.”

Since: Jun 07

LIVING WELL*THE BEST REVENGE

#1 Aug 15, 2011
It is a long walk, but well worth the journey to find God. He is there for us ALL.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

“... truth will out.”

Since: May 08

Stratford, Connecticut.

#2 Aug 15, 2011
from smh:

"Similarly one could argue that nowhere in the Gospels does Jesus condemn homosexuality. Perhaps Jesus was not concerned about it? This argument is not strong for Jesus does not mention a range of other sins so his pronouncements on sin could not be assumed to be exhaustive."

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!

“Ordinary Guy”

Since: Aug 11

Location hidden

#3 Aug 15, 2011
Christianity is nothing more than a bunch of lies and contradictions piled on top of each other. Jesus and the bible preach about love and tolerance, but his mindless lemmings we call worshippers bring about wars to make others believe in him. God gives us free will, but he forces you to follow him or else burn forever in hell.

Christianity has done nothing more than hold our country's progress back with laws and orders, telling we can't do this, but can only do that. According to the bible, you're suppose to stone your relatives to death for joining another religion. According to the bible, women are nothing more than objects for men. Why aren't you enforcing the bible you zealots punch so much? "WE ARE, WE HATE FAGS"

And if you're one of the lemmings who think gay people are going to burn in hell for having FREE WILL and a right to practice what they want and like, you're no more than a fool, and it'll be people like you who'll be judged by your beloved invisible man when its your time.

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Mickaela

Norrköping, Sweden

#4 Aug 15, 2011
we will all burn in hell, if there is a God,'cuse we have all done some sins acording to the bibel.
ps:the only thing i got aginst homosexuall guys is that they are stelling all the cute boys...

“Ordinary Guy”

Location hidden

#5 Aug 15, 2011
Mickaela wrote:
we will all burn in hell, if there is a God,'cuse we have all done some sins acording to the bibel.
ps:the only thing i got aginst homosexuall guys is that they are stelling all the cute boys...
You can't steal that which is already gay.:P
Mickaela

Norrköping, Sweden

#6 Aug 15, 2011
i know :( but they are so damn cute

“... truth will out.”

Stratford, Connecticut.

#7 Aug 15, 2011
GentlestGiant wrote:
Christianity is nothing more than a bunch of lies and contradictions piled on top of each other. Jesus and the bible preach about love and tolerance ...
... and it's called Christianity.

“Ecce! Sic transit gloria mundi”

Since: Oct 10

I See New Jerusalem From Here.

#8 Aug 15, 2011
I like this article and I like this quote from it.

Walter Wink. Wink lists 14 examples of sexual mores in scripture that are no longer considered normative, or behaviour that ought to occur. Such examples include stoning adulterers, polygamy, prohibiting sexual intercourse during menstruation (although still observed by some Orthodox Jews) and the prohibition of divorce by Jesus (Mark 10:1-12)(although still observed by Catholicism and others).

Wink argues that Jesus was not only silent on homosexuality, but he was noted for embracing marginalised groups such as lepers. Thus, textual pragmatism allows textual choices that may fly in the face of literal scripture.

Christ Jesus should have had an open mind on the subject since He and His mother should have been stoned to death under the Law of Moses. Thank God that Joseph was a kind and forgiving man!

“... truth will out.”

Stratford, Connecticut.

#9 Aug 15, 2011
T McCabe wrote:
I like this article and I like this quote from it ...
Wink argues that Jesus was not only silent on homosexuality ...
also quoted from smh:

"Similarly one could argue that nowhere in the Gospels does Jesus condemn homosexuality. Perhaps Jesus was not concerned about it? This argument is not strong for Jesus does not mention a range of other sins so his pronouncements on sin could not be assumed to be exhaustive."
What

Aldrich, MO

#10 Aug 15, 2011
Well just like those who reject the Lord's Word and speak of the Gospels only. Perhaps they never read the Gospel of John :

John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
John 1:2 The same was in the beginning with God.
John 1:3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.
John 1:14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us,(and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

Jesus Christ is the Author of all Scripture OT and NT so Jesus spoke plenty against the abomination of homosexuality and lesbianism!

Luke 6:46 And why call ye me, Lord, Lord, and do not the things which I say?

And don't forget:

Matt 19:5 And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh?
Matt 19:9 And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery.

Notice a man and a woman not mana and man or woman and woman!

Judged:

Reply »
Report Abuse Judge it!
Mickaela

Norrköping, Sweden

#11 Aug 15, 2011
What wrote:
Well just like those who reject the Lord's Word and speak of the Gospels only. Perhaps they never read the Gospel of John :
John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
John 1:3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.
John 1:14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us,(and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.
Jesus Christ is the Author of all Scripture OT and NT so Jesus spoke plenty against the abomination of homosexuality and lesbianism!
And don't forget:
Matt 19:5 And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh?
Matt 19:9 And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife, except it be for fornication, and shall marry another, committeth adultery: and whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery.
how do u guys remember all these parts of the bible?

Location hidden

#12 Aug 15, 2011
Joe DeCaro wrote:
from smh:
Jesus did say that his concern was with the heart.

Ecclesiastes 4:17
“Vanity of the Words.” Guard your step when you go home to the house of God. Let your approach be obedience, rather than the fools offering of sacrifice; for they know not how to keep from doing evil.”

Proverbs 21:2
“All the ways of a man may be right in his own eyes, but it is the LORD who proves hearts.”

Proverbs 16:2
“All the ways of a man may be pure in his own eyes, but it is the Lord who proves the spirit.”
Proverbs 21:3
“To do what is right and just is more important acceptable to the LORD than sacrifice.”

21,3:“... internal worship and the right moral conduct.”

As did God through the prophets.

Location hidden

#13 Aug 15, 2011
Joe DeCaro wrote:
<quoted text>
also quoted from smh:
Jesus did not because his concern was with the heart. Without law is there sin? When man becomes aware of something man then decides what to do with said something. Before which there was no sin. The heart, where is your heart? Bury your heart in sacrifices and laws and you missed the point. They did not get it then and they don't get it now.

The Bible is about relationships and not sin. The sin of idolatry is the only sin. Idolatry is the sin that popular Christian opinion of homosexuality. It is not about sex outside of marriage. Homosexuality is neither condemned nor supported in the Bible.

Location hidden

#14 Aug 15, 2011
What wrote:
And don't forget:
Please note that Jesus said nothing about homosexuality. Nowhere in the Bible does it say that homosexuality is a sin. The biblical definition of abomination is that it is a sin (Leviticus 20:25,26.) Nor was the sin of Sodom, homosexuality (Ezekiel 16:46-51.) All other passages referring to Sodom and Gomorrah refer to Ezekiel's take on the sin of Sodom. Fornication refers to pedophilia, temple sex. Adultery was about women as property. Marriage, not biblical, was a civil union from the beginning. It was not important to the Catholic Church until the Council of Trent; approximately, 1450 AD. With Judaism, marriage was a contract. Genesis says nothing about marriage. Marriage was not an ancient Hebrew word and neither was wife. Genesis also spoke of Lamech taking two women. Ever consider that mankind was set up to fail if Eve did not have sex with her sons. Incest was necessary if man was to multiply as commanded. No, God does not tell us what is marriage. The Bible only speaks of marriage. I taught my kids to be responsible with everything they do including sex. I also taught them that there are consequences with everything they do. Jesus speaks the same wisdom. You lay you pay. What is honorable and what is righteous. What is justice. What then is what moral. Nothing immoral about homosexuality.

Since: Jun 11

AOL

#15 Aug 15, 2011
alternative wrote:
<quoted text>
Jesus did not because his concern was with the heart. Without law is there sin? When man becomes aware of something man then decides what to do with said something. Before which there was no sin. The heart, where is your heart? Bury your heart in sacrifices and laws and you missed the point. They did not get it then and they don't get it now.
The Bible is about relationships and not sin. The sin of idolatry is the only sin. Idolatry is the sin that popular Christian opinion of homosexuality. It is not about sex outside of marriage. Homosexuality is neither condemned nor supported in the Bible.
The stories of Ruth and Naomi, David and Jonathan, Daniel and Ashpenaz, all support love between people of the same sex.

What the bible condemns are acts of abuse and misuse of others, not love between equal partners.
Johnny Dollar

Owings Mills, MD

#16 Aug 15, 2011
How come all of these people who use the Bible to oppose gays ignore Gawd telling Adam and Eve that they could use drugs like pot and heroin and thne last Pslam which says one should cut up children and eat them? Btw the Bible is against football cause it says not to touch a pigskin and you are ok to to drive your chariot as fast as you can through the city. As for gay marriage Genesis does not tell use who Eve's daughter-in-law was and further has only men listed begatting people. How did Eve have grandkids?

“Ordinary Guy”

Location hidden

#17 Aug 15, 2011
Johnny Dollar wrote:
How come all of these people who use the Bible to oppose gays ignore Gawd telling Adam and Eve that they could use drugs like pot and heroin and thne last Pslam which says one should cut up children and eat them? Btw the Bible is against football cause it says not to touch a pigskin and you are ok to to drive your chariot as fast as you can through the city. As for gay marriage Genesis does not tell use who Eve's daughter-in-law was and further has only men listed begatting people. How did Eve have grandkids?
How come everyone even follows the bible, a compilation of texts created from the mouth of MAN?

Location hidden

#18 Aug 15, 2011
Not Yet Equal wrote:
<quoted text>
The stories of Ruth and Naomi, David and Jonathan, Daniel and Ashpenaz, all support love between people of the same sex.
What the bible condemns are acts of abuse and misuse of others, not love between equal partners.

I agree, Not Yet Equal.
Amt013

Honey Grove, TX

#19 Aug 15, 2011
Mickaela wrote:
I'm not trying to start an arguement but we aren't all going to hell because we've all sined. We have to ask God for his forgiveness and he will forgive us. He wipes your slate clean and gives you a chance to start over. Why is it so hard for people to believe in God? The bible is a historical piece of literature. You believe in the holacaust don't you? The bible has more proof and backing than any other historical document. What is there to debate over??

“... truth will out.”

Stratford, Connecticut.

#20 Aug 15, 2011
alternative wrote:
<quoted text>
Jesus did say that his concern was with the heart ...
... and then you decided to cite biblical passages that were all from the Old Testament?
alternative wrote:
... The Bible is about relationships and not sin. The sin of idolatry is the only sin. Idolatry is the sin that popular Christian opinion of homosexuality. It is not about sex outside of marriage. Homosexuality is neither condemned nor supported in the Bible.
What we today call homosexuality IS condemned from Leviticus 18 to Romans 1 and beyond.

And if idolatry is the only sin, homosexuality is the sin of self-worship: narcissism.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 1266
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wedding Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Elizabeth Taylor & Michael Jackson at Her Final... 22 min Octopus 11
Judge Strikes Down NC Gay Marriage Ban 26 min Cullen is Lord 81
Hitching Post wedding chapel sues over gay marr... 39 min Eron 25
Christian Pastors Given Choice: Perform Same-Se... 54 min Wondering 182
Brittany Kersey and Chad Toler to exchange vows... 1 hr Warriors come out... 2
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 1 hr Jonah1 50,619
Reality TV star Jim Bob Duggar pushes birth con... 3 hr Elise Gingerich 1

Wedding People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE