However court rules, gay marriage deb...

However court rules, gay marriage debate won't end

There are 2351 comments on the NewsCenter 25 story from Mar 28, 2013, titled However court rules, gay marriage debate won't end. In it, NewsCenter 25 reports that:

However the Supreme Court rules after its landmark hearings on same-sex marriage, the issue seems certain to divide Americans and states for many years to come.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NewsCenter 25.

First Prev
of 118
Next Last

“You Get My Truth Here!”

Since: May 09

Nonya!

#2465 May 24, 2013
Florida teen rejects plea deal in controversial same-sex caseBy Ashley Fantz, CNN
updated 3:31 PM EDT, Fri May 24, 2013

A Florida teen has rejected a deal under which she would plead guilty to child abuse
The 18-year-old is charged with a sex crime, accused of having oral sex with a 14-year-old
Authorities: The charges are not related to the sexual orientation of the teens
14-year-old's parents: We are trying to protect our daughter; sexual orientation isn't an issue

(CNN)-- Eighteen-year-old Kaitlyn Hunt, charged with a crime for having oral sex with a 14-year-old girl, rejected a deal Friday that would have required her to plead guilty to a child abuse charge, according to Hunt's attorney.

Hunt was charged with two felony counts of lewd and lascivious battery after the parents of the 14-year-old went to authorities. The teens say their relationship was consensual, but in Florida a person under the age of 16 is not legally able to give consent to sex.

If Hunt is convicted, she could go to prison for 15 years -- a reality that touched off a maelstrom of controversy across the country this past week. The case became known when Hunt's family began an online campaign accusing the victim's family of going after their daughter because the case involved two girls.

The plea deal from the Indian River County prosecutor's office would have required Hunt to plead guilty to felony child abuse, spend two years being tracked and one year of probation. According to the plea deal document, Hunt would have had to agree to stay away from and not contact the 14-year-old, and provide her probation officer with immediate access to her Internet and telephone communication.

Read the full offer

In a statement saying that Hunt was rejecting the plea deal, her attorney, Julia Graves, wrote:

"This is a situation of two teenagers who happen to be of the same sex involved in a relationship. If this case involved a boy and girl, there would be no media attention to this case.

"Our client is a model citizen. She has been placed in an environment of school with her classmates where they go to school together, have lunch together, and play on the same team and are allowed to have communication and contact without barriers. Then when something develops between the two as a result of this environment created by the state, it leads to criminal prosecution."

"If this incident occurred 108 days earlier when she was 17, we wouldn't even be here," the attorney wrote.

...and 'if' she had left that child alone, she wouldn't be in this mess....

“You Get My Truth Here!”

Nonya!

#2466 May 24, 2013
[QUOTE who"This is a situation of two teenagers who happen to be of the same sex involved in a relationship. If this case involved a boy and girl, there would be no media attention to this case.
[/QUOTE]

Don't like it when the sword swings the other way I see....

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Since: Apr 07

Born in Newark Ohio

#2467 May 24, 2013
Get That Fool wrote:
<quoted text>
I'll post what I like where I like, thank you...you worry about yourself...
I was trying to be nice.

My mistake.

“You Get My Truth Here!”

Nonya!

#2468 May 28, 2013
DNF wrote:
<quoted text>I was trying to be nice.
My mistake.
You were being nice...I thought I was being 'honest'...

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Born in Newark Ohio

#2469 May 28, 2013
Get That Fool wrote:
<quoted text>
You were being nice...I thought I was being 'honest'...
understood. np's then

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Born in Newark Ohio

#2470 May 28, 2013
Get That Fool wrote:
<quoted text>
Don't like it when the sword swings the other way I see....
Actually I don't think that is what they were saying. And I'm disappointed you chose a sdnarky response like that. This is a case of selectived prosecution, plain and simple. I think that was the other person's point.

And when I think about it, he's correct in another sense as well. Had this been an 18 y/o boy and a girl he was dating that was 3 years younger when they first met, I doubt charges would have even been filed.

How many cases YOU know of where a guy and a girl start dating wehn she's 14 and when he turns 18 the girls pasrents charge him with rape and child molestation?

This is nearly the same thing that went on in Texas that FINALLY overturned gay sex between adults being a crime. The state there was only pursuing cases against gays and lesbians, much like the case here and now.

You and I both agree that dults should not be having sex with children. But the way we define these situations needs to be realistic. The 'sex' laws here in Florida are incompatable with each other and with reality.

If teens are dating, even if either set of parents don't like the relationship, our society should not be defining it as 'molestation' when the people involved are both past puberty and within 3 years of age.

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Born in Newark Ohio

#2471 May 28, 2013
oops!...
add to end of second paragraph; previous post:

"and I doubt the 'Liberal Media' or even Fox would think it's "News".

“You Get My Truth Here!”

Nonya!

#2472 May 28, 2013
DNF wrote:
<quoted text>Actually I don't think that is what they were saying. And I'm disappointed you chose a sdnarky response like that. This is a case of selectived prosecution, plain and simple. I think that was the other person's point.
What you don't seem to understand is, this person broke the law, and should be held accountable for it...regardless of orientation...
And when I think about it, he's correct in another sense as well. Had this been an 18 y/o boy and a girl he was dating that was 3 years younger when they first met, I doubt charges would have even been filed.
You may be right, who's to say....but even if that were the case, it doesn't 'excuse' her behavior....she was wrong. If the parents choose to prosecute her (for being gay), it makes no difference...she is still wrong...
How many cases YOU know of where a guy and a girl start dating wehn she's 14 and when he turns 18 the girls pasrents charge him with rape and child molestation?
Personally, none. However, these cases 'do' exist...but even if they didn't....so what????? If her parents are uptight because the 18 year old is female, it doesn't matter...she is still wrong!
This is nearly the same thing that went on in Texas that FINALLY overturned gay sex between adults being a crime. The state there was only pursuing cases against gays and lesbians, much like the case here and now.
Except in the case of TX...they were all consenting adults...
You and I both agree that dults should not be having sex with children. But the way we define these situations needs to be realistic. The 'sex' laws here in Florida are incompatable with each other and with reality.
Unfortunately...they 'are' realistic...that's why she is being charged as an adult...
If teens are dating, even if either set of parents don't like the relationship, our society should not be defining it as 'molestation' when the people involved are both past puberty and within 3 years of age.
Well this is a 'four' year difference, and it's still 'very' wrong...

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Born in Newark Ohio

#2474 May 28, 2013
Pepper wrote:
<quoted text>
You Queers will ALWAYS defend child molestation, because you ho:mos believe there's nothing wrong with it. That's why you freaks have a reputation. By the way, you make it sound like they've been datiing for a long time and things were good with the girls parents. Then at 18, they filed charges. That is totally FALSE. If you're going to condone the underage molestation, then tell it like it is. They couldn't keep them apart, the older girl would have no part of staying away. She was warned twice that they would do whatever it took to keep them apart. She didn't care. Now she will have to pay the price. Bottom line, it was illegal, it was wrong, and she didn't care.
as an editor on Topix perhaps I should start a poll on the editors forum to change the old "ignore" button to "libel".

Don't think that because you hide behind a computer screen, you can't be found.

First Irish internet libel case
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/northern_i...

Woman found guilty of internet defamation
http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/woman-foun...

DNF

“Judge less, Love more”

Born in Newark Ohio

#2475 May 28, 2013
Get That Fool wrote:
<quoted text>
What you don't seem to understand is, this person broke the law, and should be held accountable for it...regardless of orientation...
Ooops. Like I've said before, under previous court rulings, it's debatable whether the "sex" they had classifies as sex under Florida law.

In addition to that, if the person were a 23 y/o MALE and was seeing the underage girl, and her parents didn't object at the time, no crime happened. But perhaps you don't know the laws here.

Why is an 18 year old lesbian being held to a higher scrutiny under the law than a 23 y/o male?

“You Get My Truth Here!”

Nonya!

#2478 May 29, 2013
DNF wrote:
<quoted text>Ooops. Like I've said before, under previous court rulings, it's debatable whether the "sex" they had classifies as sex under Florida law.
Oral copulation is still sex (ask Bill Clinton)...and YES it qualifies as sex in this situation....just because she doesn't have a penis doesn't mean she can not seduce a child....
In addition to that, if the person were a 23 y/o MALE and was seeing the underage girl, and her parents didn't object at the time, no crime happened.
OK, your point???
But perhaps you don't know the laws here.
Why is an 18 year old lesbian being held to a higher scrutiny under the law than a 23 y/o male?
Because she seduced a child! What don't you get????

Tell you what....for the sake of argument, let's say what you are implying is absolutely correct....let's say her parents are disgusted by homosexual behaviors and wants this woman punished because they believe she introduced this to their daughter and they didn't want their daughter anywhere near this....

......let's also say that if this young lady had been a young man, they would not have pressed charges.....SO WHAT????? That is their rights as parents protecting their child! They don't have to like homosexuality, or homosexuals...they can prosecute her...get it now???? IT MATTERS NOT!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 118
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wedding Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Mormon church backs Utah LGBT anti-discriminati... 1 hr MORMON HUMAN RIGH... 6,600
News Gay couples exchange vows in Montana after ruling (Nov '14) 2 hr we pork hicks 172
News Stalker case leads to lawsuit against St. Bruno... (Feb '13) 3 hr tellinitlikeitwas 1,334
News End of Boy Scouts' ban on gays prompts elation ... 6 hr VeganTiger 82
News Religious liberty is rallying cry after gay mar... 8 hr nhjeff 461
News Gay wedding cake at center of Colorado Appeals ... 9 hr WasteWater 831
News Oregon issues final order in gay wedding cake case 11 hr Jon Boy 9
More from around the web