Tribal same-sex bill OK'd, male couple marries

Mar 15, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: tri-cityherald.com

Tim LaCroix, 53, a member of the Little Traverse Bay Bands of Odawa Indians, wed longtime partner Gene Barfield, 60, during a ceremony that blended familiar-sounding vows with native symbolism including drumming and the burning of pungent sage.

Comments
1 - 5 of 5 Comments Last updated Mar 16, 2013

DNF

“Liberty AND Justice”

Since: Apr 07

Born in Newark, Ohio

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2013

Judged:

This is interesting.

Same-sex marriage is prohibited under an amendment to the state Constitution approved by voters in 2004.

U.S. Federally recognized Native American tribes are self-governing and not bound by the state law.

I wish I knew more about Native American / U.S. agreements. And what it says in the Constitution about agreements with native tribes.

DNF

“Liberty AND Justice”

Since: Apr 07

Born in Newark, Ohio

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 15, 2013

Judged:

Ooops,

Almost forgot.

Congrats, Guys. Best wishes.
Ringbearer

Linares, Spain

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 16, 2013

Judged:

Congratulations from a married Cherokee and his mate.

Since: Dec 08

Toronto, ON, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 16, 2013

Judged:

Given their cultural history of two-spirit individuals, I would like to see the Lakotas and the Zuni recognize SSM.

“Luke laughs at hypocrites!”

Since: Sep 10

Palm Springs, California

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 16, 2013

Judged:

JohnInToronto wrote:
Given their cultural history of two-spirit individuals, I would like to see the Lakotas and the Zuni recognize SSM.
From history native Americans were highly sensitive to their gays and treated them as something wonderful and special. I am not sure of the feelings in tribal life now, and should read up on it, but this is a good sign. Congrats to the two guys!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••