Mass to return to Monongahela church

Dec 1, 2012 Full story: O-R Online 149

MONONGAHELA – The Roman Catholic Diocese of Pittsburgh will return one Mass a week to a Monongahela church where it canceled regular services in May, leading to protests from its congregation.

Full Story
Really

Pittsburgh, PA

#104 Dec 27, 2012
This situation can be compared to any child not hearing what they want to hear. When a child is told "no" they throw a tantrum, kick, scream, yell until the parent gives in (if the parent gives in). This situation is the same except threats, money and lawyers were used in place of kicking and screaming. When a parent gives into a tantrum child they do not learn anything. The same goes for these people. They got what they want...now what? What is going to happen when the church does close for good? Another tantrum only this time involving more money and threats? How sad is it that adults behave SO much like children when they do not get their way?
Marisa

Pittsburgh, PA

#105 Dec 27, 2012
Well said..
da man

Charleroi, PA

#106 Dec 27, 2012
@really - very well stated. I concur with you and all they did was delay the inevitable.
MaMouse

Ambridge, PA

#107 Dec 28, 2012
Jim J wrote:
<quoted text>. Dismay? Great leadership happens during dismay. Anyone can lead when things are easy. They deserve congratulations.
When the leadership adds to the dismay, which is clearly the case here..do they then deserve congradulations?
MaMouse

Ambridge, PA

#108 Dec 28, 2012
Really wrote:
This situation can be compared to any child not hearing what they want to hear. When a child is told "no" they throw a tantrum, kick, scream, yell until the parent gives in (if the parent gives in). This situation is the same except threats, money and lawyers were used in place of kicking and screaming. When a parent gives into a tantrum child they do not learn anything. The same goes for these people. They got what they want...now what? What is going to happen when the church does close for good? Another tantrum only this time involving more money and threats? How sad is it that adults behave SO much like children when they do not get their way?
Are you truly worried about whats' going to happen to "those people"? Your analogy sounds like just another insult to me.
Jim J

Madison Heights, MI

#109 Dec 28, 2012
MaMouse wrote:
<quoted text>
When the leadership adds to the dismay, which is clearly the case here..do they then deserve congradulations?
. The leadership did not add to the dismay and they deserve it.
MaMouse

Ambridge, PA

#110 Dec 29, 2012
Jim J wrote:
<quoted text>. The leadership did not add to the dismay and they deserve it.
Some would beg to differ.
Young and restless

Scottdale, PA

#111 Jan 6, 2013
I have attended St. Anthony's since I ws born (24 years ago). I was baptized there. I received reconciliation, communion, and confirmation all at that church... Ive also laid loved ones to rest there.

I've made countless memories of Sunday school, the festa, decorating for the holidays and more.

Yet, I am not discouraged as the rest of my fellow parishioners. If you read your bible, and I hope you do, you will find nothing about buildings or worship locations. Jesus taught the people OUTSIDE. It did not matter where they were. They were happy to be able to come together as a community and worship their God.

I will even admit, that at the last mass at St. Anthony's, I cried. I cried like a baby. But just because I was sad, that was not going to discourage me from going to church and worshiping my Lord and savior. God said to keep holy the sabbath. Not watch tv and pray a rosary. What will you say to Him when you are in front of Him being judged? "Lord I didn't attend mass because it was against my principals"? "God I didn't go to mass to worship you because it's not tradition"?

I pray that my lost brothers and sisters will return to their faith. I hope that you will take your hostility and anger, and leave it at Gods feet so that you may heal and return to Him.

God Bless
jim j

New London, OH

#112 Jan 6, 2013
When I was young I lived in a house. In that house many traditions and many memories were made. When it came time to move to a different place it was sad but it was time to move ahead. Change is necessary in life. Christ changed everything. There are people who still do not accept Christ and wont change.
The EX

Mckeesport, PA

#113 Jan 6, 2013
Young and restless wrote:
I have attended St. Anthony's since I ws born (24 years ago). I was baptized there. I received reconciliation, communion, and confirmation all at that church... Ive also laid loved ones to rest there.
I've made countless memories of Sunday school, the festa, decorating for the holidays and more.
Yet, I am not discouraged as the rest of my fellow parishioners. If you read your bible, and I hope you do, you will find nothing about buildings or worship locations. Jesus taught the people OUTSIDE. It did not matter where they were. They were happy to be able to come together as a community and worship their God.
I will even admit, that at the last mass at St. Anthony's, I cried. I cried like a baby. But just because I was sad, that was not going to discourage me from going to church and worshiping my Lord and savior. God said to keep holy the sabbath. Not watch tv and pray a rosary. What will you say to Him when you are in front of Him being judged? "Lord I didn't attend mass because it was against my principals"? "God I didn't go to mass to worship you because it's not tradition"?
I pray that my lost brothers and sisters will return to their faith. I hope that you will take your hostility and anger, and leave it at Gods feet so that you may heal and return to Him.
God Bless
As crowded as it is, we would be better off outside! Maybe we should start a class action suit citing lack of concern for our personal wellbeing and the spread of communicable diseases. HMMMMM
Cheeks

Mckeesport, PA

#114 Jan 7, 2013
I say close both churches and build a new church or what I think both parishes deserve shut the buildings down and let these people find another church to worship at!

“A Dog's Life is Good”

Since: Feb 11

Mon Valley, Pa.

#115 Jan 7, 2013
We could always go to Donora....oops they closed that one too. I guess the diocese needs to save money. It's like getting rid of the small Wallmarts and opening a super center.
Sorry, just couldn't resist that.
jim j

Keego Harbor, MI

#116 Jan 7, 2013
DaDog1 wrote:
We could always go to Donora....oops they closed that one too. I guess the diocese needs to save money. It's like getting rid of the small Wallmarts and opening a super center.
Sorry, just couldn't resist that.
. Keep your day job. I dont know any other church in town that keeps two buildings open. It is a waste.
The EX

Mckeesport, PA

#117 Jan 7, 2013
Close both and stay home...its cheaper that way. Save for retirement, God knows you will need it for healthcare!
CaCat

Pittsburgh, PA

#118 Jan 8, 2013
Cheeks wrote:
I say close both churches and build a new church or what I think both parishes deserve shut the buildings down and let these people find another church to worship at!
I don't think its' so much about the building as it seems to be about the people in them having the problems.
CaCat

Pittsburgh, PA

#119 Jan 8, 2013
jim j wrote:
<quoted text>. Keep your day job. I dont know any other church in town that keeps two buildings open. It is a waste.
But then again, we are not any other church in town...are we?
jim j

Pontiac, MI

#120 Jan 8, 2013
It is all about a building period. The people would get along much better without a bldg to fight over. Time to move on.
Joe R P POLUTIONCHECK

Mckeesport, PA

#121 Jan 8, 2013
jim j wrote:
It is all about a building period. The people would get along much better without a bldg to fight over. Time to move on.
Jim you are seriously F ed UP! Dummy it's not about the buildings it's about two congregations that have been at war with each other for generations! I say shut this whole thing down in monongahela and give both parishes what they really deserve!Go find another church to attend! You people make me sick I've watched this B.S go on for close to 50 years and it had been going on for 50 years before that! Leaders of the group at the church on the hill and staff at the other church on main street you are all fools,jerks'idiots and morons! I hope both parishes close and you jackwagons can finally see just how bad most of you have behaved!
jim j

Pontiac, MI

#122 Jan 9, 2013
You may want to consider looking in the mirror. Most everyone gets along. Only one building is needed. Anything else is a waste. Close a church. Give the difference to the poor.
MaMouse

Pittsburgh, PA

#123 Jan 9, 2013
jim j wrote:
You may want to consider looking in the mirror. Most everyone gets along. Only one building is needed. Anything else is a waste. Close a church. Give the difference to the poor.
Giving the "difference" to the poor is a great idea..Think the members of the former Transfiguration parish can see past the "money owed" to them by the "chruch on the hill" to do that?

Wonder what some see when they look in the mirror?..A child?..Or an adult acting like one?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wedding Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Gay couples exchange vows in Montana after ruling 16 min WE PORK HICKS 35
Evangelicals with gay children challenging church 34 min cpeter1313 21
How to Witness to a Jehovah's Witness Ray Comfo... 6 hr Matt9969 74
Same-sex marriage could increase Minnesota's an... 8 hr Liberal Lover 6
Our recommendation: Springboro voters should sa... (Feb '08) 11 hr Just Asking 31,423
BC denies accreditation to anti-Gay Christian l... 11 hr Reverend Alan 80
Proof Even Jennifer Aniston's Friends Have No I... 21 hr Benny 1

Wedding People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE