Advocates ask N.J. judge not to delay gay marriage

There are 2 comments on the Courier-Post story from Oct 4, 2013, titled Advocates ask N.J. judge not to delay gay marriage. In it, Courier-Post reports that:

Gay-rights advocates on Friday asked a New Jersey judge to proceed with implementation of her order that the state start allowing same-sex marriages this month, saying the state failed to show irreparable harm if the nuptials take place.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Courier-Post.

Since: Jun 11

AOL

#1 Oct 6, 2013
The Court: "I'm asking you to tell me how it would harm opposite sex marriages."

Mr. Cooper: "Your Honor, my answer is: I don't know. I don't know."

(Perry. p. 24, Motion for Summary Judgement)

Since: Jun 11

AOL

#2 Oct 6, 2013
Like NY, Ca. had "domestic partners".

"Proposition 8 is unconstitutional under both the Due Process and Equal Protection Clauses of the 14th Amendment of the U.S. Constitution."

"Proposition 8 fails to advance any rational basis in singling out gay men and lesbians for denial of a marriage license. Indeed, the evidence shows Proposition 8 does nothing more than enshrine in the California Constitution the notion that opposite-sex couples are superior to same-sex couples. Because California has no interest in discriminating against gay men and lesbians, and because Proposition 8 prevents California from fulfilling its constitutional obligation to provide marriages on an equal basis, the court concludes that Proposition 8 is unconstitutional."

http://www.afer.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/0...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wedding Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Mormon church backs Utah LGBT anti-discriminati... 1 hr tongangodz 3,134
News Homosexuality and the Bible (Aug '11) 2 hr Blackburn 32,384
News Why I'll be voting 'No' to same-sex marriage, e... 3 hr Rosa_Winkel 2,450
News Judge proposes Oregon bakery pay $135,000 to le... 5 hr Frankie Rizzo 536
News Mark Hopkins: The Supreme Court and gay marriage 7 hr Cath League of Du... 26
News Lawmakers Consider Gay Discrimination Policies 9 hr nhjeff 3,425
News 8 Shocking Statements Opponents Of Marriage Equ... 11 hr Lawrence Wolf 90
More from around the web