Annapolis, Md., Trolly Won't Cater to Any Weddings, Joining a Handful ...

Dec 28, 2012 Full story: EDGE 23

Although more and more Americans are accepting marriage equality, a handful of small business owners, citing their religious beliefs, so strongly oppose same-sex marriage that they say they are willing to lose business rather than have to cater to LGBT couples.

Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Gays Run the World

Alpharetta, GA

#1 Dec 28, 2012
There's two trolly companies in town
The surviving trolley company is gay owned and has offered to purchase the KKK terrorist homophobe's trolly
So its a happy ending
Gays win ;o))
disgusted american

Philadelphia, PA

#2 Dec 28, 2012
only 1 thing to say- nah nah nah, nah nah nah - hey hey hey - goodbye!!
Elizabeth Johnson

Herndon, VA

#3 Dec 28, 2012
It has been since the start of america that businsses had a right to refuse busines or service to anyone.

It is only in employment and a few other areas that have antidiscrimination laws

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#4 Dec 28, 2012
They're off their trolly.
Tom

Cincinnati, OH

#6 Dec 28, 2012
Elizabeth Johnson wrote:
It has been since the start of america that businsses had a right to refuse busines or service to anyone.
It is only in employment and a few other areas that have antidiscrimination laws

Really refuse to provide service to an African American cuz their black and see how legal that is
Gays Run the World

Alpharetta, GA

#7 Dec 28, 2012
For Sure wrote:
<quoted text>
Fk you nasty A$$ Queers
You better turn that frown upside-down if you wanna ride on 'our' trolly; sugar

“ reality, what a concept”

Since: Nov 07

this one

#8 Dec 28, 2012
Elizabeth Johnson wrote:
Sorry, but the right to refuse service has been limited for decades and business owners know it. Federal, state and local laws prohibit discrimination by business owners in refusing to provide their goods and services on a number of basis. The trolley company owner has been prohibited from discriminating on the basis of sexual orientation either in employment or in offering his company's services since 2001. The marriage law changed nothing but his list of potential clients for his wedding business.

“Headed toward the cliff”

Tawas City, Michigan

#9 Dec 28, 2012
Elizabeth Johnson wrote:
Businesses have the right to refuse service to anyone as long as it isn't done because of the race, religion, gender, or sexual orientation of the customer.

In other words, you can refuse service to blacks or women or catholics or gays because they were rude or can't pay or were just the 3rd person to walk through the door that day. But you CAN'T refuse them service just because they're black or female or catholic or gay.

“Post-religious”

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

#10 Dec 28, 2012
Elizabeth Johnson wrote:
Many of my high school students are surprised when I explain to them that this common myth isn't legally true.

They exclaim: "But I've seen the sign in stores --'We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone'"!

Just because someone posts a sign doesn't mean that what's printed on it can overturn the law. On the national level alone, the Civil Rights Act of 1964, a host of amendments and additions to it over the years, and a long list of court rulings offer clear and solid refutation of the notion that a person doing business to the general public can discriminate in any manner that he wishes. He can't.
http://www.congresslink.org/print_basics_hist...

The Civil Right Act prohibits discrimination in or on the basis of:

Title I: voting;
Title II: hotels, motels, restaurants, theaters, and all other public accommodations;
Title III: public facilities;
Title IV: public schools;
Title V: created a commission on civil rights;
Title VI: federally assisted programs;
Title VII: employment;
Title VIII: voter registration and statistics;
Title IX: intervention in state cases;
Title X: dispute resolution
Title XI: miscellaneous

Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 prohibits discrimination based on sex.

DNF

“Religious Freedom to Marry”

Since: Apr 07

Newark OH / Baltimore MD

#11 Dec 28, 2012
Elizabeth Johnson wrote:
You are incorrect. Granted that until the 60's is was acceptable for businesses to refuse to serve people because of their race, discrimination based on race, religion, color, creed or national origin has been illegal for about a quarter of our Nation's history. The 14th Amendment was passed in the 19th Century and it took nearly 100 years for the government to start enforcing it in every State.

The only place you can discriminate based on any of those is in your own home.

True a business can refuse service because of the behavior of a person but not for the reasons I listed. And even then that treatment must be uniform for all groups.

DNF

Newark OH / Baltimore MD

#12 Dec 28, 2012
Gays Run the World wrote:
<quoted text>
You better turn that frown upside-down if you wanna ride on 'our' trolly; sugar
Even then I wouldn't let them near me. A nasty person like that? Lord knows what and where they've been.

DNF

Newark OH / Baltimore MD

#13 Dec 28, 2012
Rick in Kansas wrote:
<quoted text>Sorry, but the right to refuse service has been limited for decades and business owners know it. Federal, state and local laws prohibit discrimination by business owners in refusing to provide their goods and services on a number of basis. The trolley company owner has been prohibited from discriminating on the basis of sexual orientation either in employment or in offering his company's services since 2001. The marriage law changed nothing but his list of potential clients for his wedding business.
You brought up a good point I had forgotten.

He is in violation of the State anti-discrimination law that was passed by the State back when Gov. Ehrlich was elected to office in 2003. That law prohibits discrimination in employment, housing and public accommodations. His business falls under the "public accommodations" category.

I hope the State prosecutes him. His public statement that he will refuse service is enough to convict him.

In fact that Court Clerk supervisor who wants to let associate clerks refuse service is liable for fines of $50,000 to $300,000!

"The Maryland Fair Employment Practices Act: Article 49B of the Code of Maryland (State Law):

Similar to Federal Laws, but adds pregnancy, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, and genetic information, to the list of protected classes.
Lower number of employees to trigger coverage than federal laws
Individual supervisors may be charged for discriminatory acts
Small employers(under 15) are not covered by this law so look to county laws for coverage
Limits damage awards i.e. punitive damages and compensatory limited to range of $50,000 to $300,000 depending on the number of employees that the employer has. Court can award attorneys fees, expert costs, witness fees and costs."

http://www.plotnicklaw.com/employment-discrim...
SirAndrew

Honolulu, HI

#14 Dec 28, 2012
As the bible says: "The wages of bigotry is a decreased bottom line. Deal with it."

DNF

Newark OH / Baltimore MD

#15 Dec 28, 2012
SirAndrew wrote:
As the bible says: "The wages of bigotry is a decreased bottom line. Deal with it."
These people are hypocrites. I'm sure they are perfectly happy to take money from murders, rapists, drug dealers , child molesters, thieves, fornicators, liars etc.

DNF

Newark OH / Baltimore MD

#16 Dec 28, 2012
My belief is that this man is more interested in feeding his ego. It has very little to do with his religious convictions even though he firmly believes that himself.

He wants his 15 minutes of fame with the religious bigots he goes to church with.

DNF

Newark OH / Baltimore MD

#17 Dec 28, 2012
Under Maryland law he is now liable for fines of $50,000 to $300,000!

I doubt he considered his actions thoroughly.

DNF

Newark OH / Baltimore MD

#18 Dec 28, 2012
DNF wrote:
<quoted text>You brought up a good point I had forgotten.
He is in violation of the State anti-discrimination law that was passed by the State back when Gov. Ehrlich was elected to office in 2003. That law prohibits discrimination in employment, housing and public accommodations. His business falls under the "public accommodations" category.
I hope the State prosecutes him. His public statement that he will refuse service is enough to convict him.
In fact that Court Clerk supervisor who wants to let associate clerks refuse service is liable for fines of $50,000 to $300,000!
"The Maryland Fair Employment Practices Act: Article 49B of the Code of Maryland (State Law):
Similar to Federal Laws, but adds pregnancy, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, and genetic information, to the list of protected classes.
Small employers(under 15) are not covered by this law so look to county laws for coverage
Limits damage awards i.e. punitive damages and compensatory limited to range of $50,000 to $300,000 depending on the number of employees that the employer has. Court can award attorneys fees, expert costs, witness fees and costs."
I urge every gay and lesbian couple in Maryland to ask for his service and then sue. Let him deal with potential fines of $50,00 to $300,00 for each couple he refuses.

DNF

Newark OH / Baltimore MD

#19 Dec 28, 2012
RE: My previous post.

He says he will now longer do weddings. Fine. He thinks he's covered his butt.

So I urge every gay and lesbian in Maryland to book a none wedding event and inform him the day they show up that they are gay or lesbian. When he refuses service, he's violating the law!

In this way not only does he lose his wedding bookings but he loses money and faces fines for non wedding events!

DNF

Newark OH / Baltimore MD

#20 Dec 28, 2012
In the 60's blacks took over lunch counters. We should do the same with him. Contact for his services for New Years Eve and then inform him the day you show up you're a queer group. He loses his booking for that time slot and faces fines and prosecution.

“ reality, what a concept”

this one

#21 Dec 28, 2012
DNF wrote:
<quoted text>You brought up a good point I had forgotten.
Unless he is still booking straight weddings, turning down a gay wedding won't violate the law. If he is no longer offering the service, he can't be guilty of refusing it. Now if an enterprising Annapolitan would want to test his Christian mettle by attempting to book his little trolley for a non-matrimonial, but obviously gay old time, that might produce such a result.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wedding Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 22 min Cali Girl 2014 50,015
Homosexuality and the Bible (Aug '11) 26 min Cali Girl 2014 25,084
SCOTUS could inject same-sex marriage into races 1 hr Walt Kowalski 1
Church boots AA group over gay weddings 4 hr Belle Sexton 32
In the shade: Shade Redondo under construction ... 10 hr Wolfman 3
Our recommendation: Springboro voters should sa... (Feb '08) 13 hr Worth Repeating 31,279
Gazans rush to enjoy life after ruinous war 17 hr Grau 90

Wedding People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE