Will Gay Marriage Pit Church Against Church?

Apr 27, 2009 | Posted by: SongBookz | Full story: news.yahoo.com

The trouble they see is not just an America where general support for gay marriage will have driven a wedge between churches and the world, but between churches themselves.

Comments
13,721 - 13,740 of 16,105 Comments Last updated Aug 28, 2013

“No Allah: know peace”

Since: Jun 07

A sacred grove in Tujunga, CA

#15466 May 21, 2013
dollarsbill wrote:
<quoted text>
Not for God's people. We have the New Covenant.
"not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers"
Jeremiah 31:31-32 (NKJV)
31 "Behold, the days are coming, says the LORD, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah-- 32 not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt, My covenant which they broke, though I was a husband to them, says the LORD.
Quoting out of context is just another form of lying. Reading Jeremiah IN context CLEARLY shows that he is referring to the same old covenant that was given to Moses, but people would know the Law perfectly so that none would ever need to study it again.

Jeremiah 31:33 But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people.
31:34 And they shall teach no more every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the LORD: for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith the LORD: for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more.
31:35 Thus saith the LORD, which giveth the sun for a light by day, and the ordinances of the moon and of the stars for a light by night, which divideth the sea when the waves thereof roar; The LORD of hosts is his name:
31:36 If those ordinances depart from before me, saith the LORD, then the seed of Israel also shall cease from being a nation before me for ever.
31:37 Thus saith the LORD; If heaven above can be measured, and the foundations of the earth searched out beneath, I will also cast off all the seed of Israel for all that they have done, saith the LORD.

Pay attention here:

Jeremiah 31:36 If those ordinances depart from before me, saith the LORD, then the seed of Israel also shall cease from being a nation before me for ever.

Obviously, Israel did NOT cease to be a nation for ever, so those ordinances have not departed...

#15467 May 21, 2013
dollarsbill wrote:
<quoted text>
Gays will burn in Hell forever. The Bible overrules your opinions.
Genesis 13:13 (NKJV)
13 But the men of Sodom were exceedingly wicked and sinful against the LORD.
Yes, those men of Sodom were exceedingly inhospitable to guests...

#15468 May 21, 2013
Stan53 wrote:
<quoted text>
Who exactly is being "disenfranchised"
I'm more concerned with the "Biblical" definition of marriage than I am the legal one.
So, one man and as many wives, concubines and females slaves as he can afford?

Or were you referring to the Bible's celebration of the marriage of David and Johnathan?

#15469 May 21, 2013
Stan53 wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry I have no desire to find out about you by reading your posts, so maybe you can give me a synopsis?
Are you a born again Christian or gay?
That is not an either/or question. One can be either or neither.

#15470 May 21, 2013
No Surprise wrote:
<quoted text>
So that includes a person professing to be a Christian who adds to the Bible where it's says nothing concerning their opinion, that the person demands of others to believe that's God's position on the matter even though, God made no actual statement about it?
We know the Bible makes some weak negative statements about same sex behavior without real clarity.
But the Bible says not a thing of being in favour of same sex sexual relationship behaviour. So all those Christians that claim God loves same sex sexual behavior and all those Christians claiming God loves same sex marriages, since the Bible states no such thing, as you said they'll be condemned by the following, was that your point? "...a false witness who pours out lies and a man who stirs up dissension among brothers."
But you are ignoring the passage that CELEBRATES the marriage of David and Johnathan. Then too, the Bible, when legitimately translated, has NO verses that actually condemn homosexuality.

#15471 May 21, 2013
James Seahill wrote:
If we could just see same-sex orientation as a severe identity crisis and homosexual sin as one consequence of yielding to the sinful nature we all are acquainted with! The wages of any sin is death-spiritually and physically. The failure of fathers to affirm their children as valued young men and women is by some accounts a cause of much same-sex orientation. A father's affirmation is by those accounts the foundation for a stable personality-the absence of such affirmation results in severe attempts at compensation and affirmation from others that results in abnormal behavior. Same sex orientation, in my studied opinion, should not be assumed genetic, irreversible or harmless.
Too bad your "studies" failed to include the real world. Sexual orientation is genetic or epigenetic in nature, and is thus unchangeable at this time. Since it is unchangeable, it is ludicrous to think that it could be a sin. After all, the Bible clearly says that sin is avoidable, if one so chooses.

#15472 May 21, 2013
Stan53 wrote:
<quoted text>
No it isn't. It is a matter of our will, just like rape, murder, theft and pedophilia. No matter how people try to justify their choices, they make them and God holds THEM responsible.
His laws are VERY clear.
His laws are not all that clear if you don't understand Hebrew. EVERY translation includes errors, some are better or worse than others, but every translation has errors. That is the inherent nature of attempting to translate across wide cultural divides.

Even in Hebrew, the gulfs of time and culture prevent any easy or simple reading.

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#15473 May 21, 2013
Liam R wrote:
<quoted text>
Too bad your "studies" failed to include the real world. Sexual orientation is genetic or epigenetic in nature, and is thus unchangeable at this time. Since it is unchangeable, it is ludicrous to think that it could be a sin. After all, the Bible clearly says that sin is avoidable, if one so chooses.
Ah, but the violent analizing of another person is a sin.

#15474 May 21, 2013
Truth wrote:
Any lifestyle that endangers the marriage institution and the morals of innocent children cannot excuse their conduct by pleading for their human rights.
Gay marriage does neither.

#15475 May 21, 2013
Stan53 wrote:
<quoted text>
I am convinced by my faith in Jesus and the Bible. Truth is truth regardless of one's belief, so anyone should accept it, because it is true. Absolutes are absolute.
But the Bible PROVES that Jesus is a false god.

Even apart from that, the truth of the Bible is purely subjective; there is no objective evidence supporting it.

#15476 May 21, 2013
Stan53 wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't have to know them, they are self evident. Matthew 7:16
Really? What is "self-evident" about not wearing fabric of mixed wool and linen?

Location hidden

#15477 May 21, 2013
Liam R wrote:
<quoted text>
But you are ignoring the passage that CELEBRATES the marriage of David and Johnathan. Then too, the Bible, when legitimately translated, has NO verses that actually condemn homosexuality.
Matthew 19:4-6 (NASB)
4 And He answered and said, "Have you not read that He who created them from the beginning MADE THEM MALE AND FEMALE,
5 and said,'FOR THIS REASON A MAN SHALL LEAVE HIS FATHER AND MOTHER AND BE JOINED TO HIS WIFE, AND THE TWO SHALL BECOME ONE FLESH'?
6 "So they are no longer two, but one flesh. What therefore God has joined together, let no man separate."

Jesus uses the OT to affirm in the NT that marriage is only between a man and woman.

Idiot.
Thinking

Sturminster Newton, UK

#15478 May 21, 2013
Getting seed sizing so very wrong is more proof that the bible is full of sh!t.
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
It's worse then that, it's as small as a mustard seed.
That is why what you have isn't faith.
Smile.

#15479 May 21, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
I'd say that doing anything with violence is most likely a sin...
Thinking

Sturminster Newton, UK

#15480 May 21, 2013
Your bible endorses slavery, kiddiefucking and heterosexual rape but says consensual sex between people of the same sex is wrong.

That's why your bible is morally bankrupt.
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>

#15481 May 21, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
4 And He answered and said, "Have you not read that He who created them from the beginning MADE THEM MALE AND FEMALE,
5 and said,'FOR THIS REASON A MAN SHALL LEAVE HIS FATHER AND MOTHER AND BE JOINED TO HIS WIFE, AND THE TWO SHALL BECOME ONE FLESH'?
6 "So they are no longer two, but one flesh. What therefore God has joined together, let no man separate."
Jesus uses the OT to affirm in the NT that marriage is only between a man and woman.
Idiot.
Jesus does not get to change the Torah. Moses and the prophets repeated the message that it came from the God of the Bible and was perfect exactly as written.

Then too, what he was talking about would have been the usual practice. I doubt that there were very many gay marriages in Jesus's day. Any gay man that could bring himself to do so, would have felt duty bound to marry a woman to carry on the family name.

Location hidden

#15482 May 21, 2013
Thinking wrote:
Your bible endorses slavery, kiddiefucking and heterosexual rape but says consensual sex between people of the same sex is wrong.
<quoted text>
No it doesn't.

Even if it did, anal sex is inherently harmful, unhealthy and demeaning.

Smile.

Location hidden

#15483 May 21, 2013
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Idiot.
Liam R wrote:
<quoted text>
Jesus does not get to change the Torah. Moses and the prophets repeated the message that it came from the God of the Bible and was perfect exactly as written.
Then too, what he was talking about would have been the usual practice. I doubt that there were very many gay marriages in Jesus's day. Any gay man that could bring himself to do so, would have felt duty bound to marry a woman to carry on the family name.
Jesus QUOTED the Torah exactly.

Moreover, the usual 'practice' was divorce. And he condemned it. When he said "from the beginning", he was literally talking about God's design from the beginning.

You are a perfect example of why faithless idiots have no idea what they are talking about. Go eat something and leave things above and beyond you alone reprobate.

Smile.
Thinking

Sturminster Newton, UK

#15484 May 21, 2013

KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
No it doesn't.
Even if it did, anal sex is inherently harmful, unhealthy and demeaning.
Smile.

Since: May 13

Location hidden

#15485 May 21, 2013
Liam R wrote:
<quoted text>
So, one man and as many wives, concubines and females slaves as he can afford?
Or were you referring to the Bible's celebration of the marriage of David and Johnathan?
Solomon did NOT define marriage as God wanted, and David & Jonathan were close friends, NOT gay lovers.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wedding Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
3 states, plaintiffs want Supreme Court to hear... 1 hr Fa-Foxy 7
Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 5 hr BoDidHe 49,477
Homosexuality and the Bible (Aug '11) 6 hr KiMare 24,881
In the shade: Shade Redondo under construction ... 8 hr Veronica 2
Refusal to sell wedding gowns to lesbian couple... 9 hr TomInElPaso 151
Together 48 years, couple fights NC marriage ban 12 hr may 5
Our recommendation: Springboro voters should sa... (Feb '08) 13 hr Wondering Why 31,195
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Wedding People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••