Will Gay Marriage Pit Church Against Church?

Apr 27, 2009 | Posted by: SongBookz | Full story: news.yahoo.com

The trouble they see is not just an America where general support for gay marriage will have driven a wedge between churches and the world, but between churches themselves.

Comments (Page 660)

Showing posts 13,181 - 13,200 of16,105
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Truth

Leesburg, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2013

Biblical ethics realize that God tests the motives behind every action.
Truth

Leesburg, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2013

Biblical ethics are not based on human success, but on God's standards for truth.

“What, me worry?”

Since: Mar 09

I'm a racist caricature!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2013

Judged:

dollarsbill wrote:
<quoted text>
"abomination"
Leviticus 20:13 (NKJV)
13 If a man lies with a male as he lies with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination. They shall surely be put to death. Their blood shall be upon them.
Again: eating shrimp is also an abomination.

Again: collecting firewood on the Sabbath is also a capital offense.

So, homosexuality was just as bad as eating shrimp and collecting firewood on the Sabbath.

Why do you keep quoting OT laws and punishments, by the way? Didn't Jesus ever appear in your Bible?
Truth

Leesburg, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2013

The lack of instant justice does not mean God is slack with His ethical standards.

Ecclesiastes 8:11

11 When the sentence for a crime is not quickly carried out, people’s hearts are filled with schemes to do wrong.

“What, me worry?”

I'm a racist caricature!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2013

Judged:

Truth wrote:
Realize that morality is to be measured by God's standards and not human criteria for what is right.
Yes. Commanding genocide, condoning rape and slavery and incest, commanding murder, commanding infanticide, accepting human sacrifices in exchange for favors, THESE are all moral because they were done by God. But, if WE were to do any of these things, we'd be horrible monsters.

What is a double standard?

“What, me worry?”

I'm a racist caricature!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2013

Judged:

KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
I made no claim God exists.
I simply noted the difference between morality and ethics.
However, millions of intelligent people with better comprehension than you disagree about God's existence.
Smile.
Argument from authority fallacy.

Which of those people is an expert on the existence of God?
Truth

Leesburg, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2013

Sound ethics are tested first with small responsibilities before greater ones are given.

Luke 16:10-12

10 “Whoever can be trusted with very little can also be trusted with much, and whoever is dishonest with very little will also be dishonest with much.

11 So if you have not been trustworthy in handling worldly wealth, who will trust you with true riches?

12 And if you have not been trustworthy with someone else’s property, who will give you property of your own?
Truth

Leesburg, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2013

Ethics cannot exist apart from a standard of right and wrong.

“What, me worry?”

I'm a racist caricature!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2013

KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
1. The lack of comprehension is all yours. I agreed with you about the Hebrew law, ignored the other gods, and simply pointed out the basis of your ethics. You have no morality, you follow self regulated ethics only when convenient.
2. I didn't refer to Jewish efforts to obey the laws. I noted the profound survival and success of the culture, just as the Alien prophesied on the mountain.
*You only expose your bigotry by the comment about Christians and Muslims.
3. Jews do not obey the Laws because of the threat of hell. There is no doctrine of hell in Judaism.
4. A Christian obeys because of love and trust.
John 14:15 (NJB)
15 If you love me you will keep my commandments.
There is NO intrinsically 'right thing' in ethics. In fact, the only intrinsic mandate in soulless evolution is survival at any cost.
Smile.
Why didn't you address any of these?

1) Only the children of Israel are under the Laws of the God of the Bible.
2) Other peoples have their own Gods, and those Gods handed down moral laws for Their people to follow.
3) Morality exists separate from the laws given by the Gods.

“What, me worry?”

I'm a racist caricature!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2013

Truth wrote:
Sound ethics are tested first with small responsibilities before greater ones are given.
Luke 16:10-12
10 “Whoever can be trusted with very little can also be trusted with much, and whoever is dishonest with very little will also be dishonest with much.
11 So if you have not been trustworthy in handling worldly wealth, who will trust you with true riches?
12 And if you have not been trustworthy with someone else’s property, who will give you property of your own?
I'm sorry, I thought you had a point.

“What, me worry?”

I'm a racist caricature!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2013

Truth wrote:
Yes, they can. All that is required is a spectrum of favorability of outcomes from given possible choices of actions.

"Right" and "wrong" are just labels we place on actions. But, is the same action necessarily only ever "right" or "wrong?" Is it wrong to shoot a person? Maybe. Maybe not. Is it right to eat another human being? Sometimes. Is child sacrifice to a magical being for which there is no evidence wrong? Ha! Trick question. That involves mental defect (a popular mental defect, but a defect nonetheless). Ethics for the mentally defective are like applying the rules of baseball to the galaxy. You can try, but there's no point to it.
Truth

Leesburg, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2013

LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, they can. All that is required is a spectrum of favorability of outcomes from given possible choices of actions.
"Right" and "wrong" are just labels we place on actions. But, is the same action necessarily only ever "right" or "wrong?" Is it wrong to shoot a person? Maybe. Maybe not. Is it right to eat another human being? Sometimes. Is child sacrifice to a magical being for which there is no evidence wrong? Ha! Trick question. That involves mental defect (a popular mental defect, but a defect nonetheless). Ethics for the mentally defective are like applying the rules of baseball to the galaxy. You can try, but there's no point to it.
Conscience.....

It is the awareness of a moral or ethical aspect to one’s conduct together with the urge to prefer right over wrong.
Truth

Leesburg, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2013

Judged:

LowellGuy wrote:
<quoted text>
The conscience can be struck.

2 Samuel 24:10

10 David was conscience-stricken after he had counted the fighting men, and he said to the Lord,“I have sinned greatly in what I have done. Now, Lord, I beg you, take away the guilt of your servant. I have done a very foolish thing.”

It condemns us or pierces the "Heart."

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2013

WasteWater wrote:
<quoted text>
I think they were just obsessed with male genitalia myself.
Not "just".

Since: Jul 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2013

snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
So you don't support such mass murders? You certainly cite your interpretation of the section frequently enough.
Which is it?
What mass murders? No interpretation needed. The Bible is perfectly clear. Gays will burn in Hell forever.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2013

Judged:

Truth wrote:
Realize that morality is to be measured by God's standards and not human criteria for what is right.
Who says?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2013

_-Alice-_ wrote:
<quoted text>
He just texts me. Here's His latest text:
"LOL. Dollarsbill is a douche. LOL"
Why do gays and lesbians make such ignorant posts?

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2013

Judged:

Truth wrote:
Consult the history of the terms you use ... preferably BEFORE you use them.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2013

WasteWater wrote:
<quoted text>
ROTFLMAO
Go have another drink bro.
"the lake of fire" "tormented" "forever"

Revelation 20:10 (NKJV)
10 The devil, who deceived them, was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone where the beast and the false prophet are. And they will be tormented day and night forever and ever.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2013

Judged:

Truth wrote:
<quoted text>
Conscience.....
It is the awareness of a moral or ethical aspect to one’s conduct together with the urge to prefer right over wrong.
Prove that it exists.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 13,181 - 13,200 of16,105
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••